Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay. The updates will be slower now,so stick with me!
Note- In this fic James changed secret keepers without telling Lily. So she still thinks that Sirius betrayed them
Chapter 5

Harry woke to the sounds of hushed voices. This was the second time in two days that he felt utterly and completely confused. He tried to think about the day before. He had woken up in a …train. Snape had taken him to…

 He heard a female voice and suddenly…                                                                                                                                                                    His eyes snapped open.


“Shhhh! Look he’s waking up,” Lily hurried over to the couch.

“How do you feel?”

Harry stared open mouthed at Lily, then Severus, then Lily again. He touched Lily’s wrist to confirm her presence. “She’s really there. How can she be there? God, I must be dreaming. Snape? Why is he here? Am I dead? Maybe we are all dead. Did the Dursleys kill me? Wait… So how did Snape die?”

Lily felt a small hand close around her wrist. She was vaguely reminded that Severus had used the same gesture. “Harry, calm down. I’m really here.”

What is happening? She looks like my Mum. But my Mum is dead!

“Buh.. but. How? I mean… Voldy…green light.. scar.. Dursleys.. huh?” Harry still looked gobsmacked.

“ I never truly died. I don’t know why but I was trapped in a place between life and death.” Lily tried to explain. It did little to placate Harry.

“ All that matters is that I am here now right?” she asked gently placing her hand on her son’s chin, and closing his mouth. “So are you feeling okay?”

 “ Yeah, I’m fine. I think,” he responded shakily. He was still in a daze. He couldn’t think properly. His mind was brimming with questions and doubts and concerns.

Lily held Harry’s hand between both of hers. “Come,  let’s have breakfast. Sev’s omelettes are just out of this world!  And I’ll explain everything I can.”

Sev? Does she mean Snape? Why? How is that even possible? My Mum could never like Snape!

Harry tried to get up, but his legs felt like jelly the moment he put his weight on them.  Lily steadied her son and guided him to the dining chair. Severus was already seated, his face hidden behind The Daily Prophet.

Harry’s eyes widened as he looked at the loaded table. Bloody Hell! This is like a...like a… feast!

Lily smiled as she saw Harry’s expression. “All credit goes to our brilliant cook, Severus Snape!”

Snape cooked this? Snape? The evil git? How come he was here anyway? Why was his mum so friendly with him?

“Go on eat,” Lily urged.

Severus had put down the newspaper and was scrutinizing Harry. He could practically see the questions in the child’s face. “Contrary to popular beliefs, Mr Potter, I am rather fond of cooking. It requires the same precision and skill as potions, therefore this should not come as a surprise to you.”

Harry gaped. The fact that Snape was fond of anything came as a surprise to Harry. This was not the first time that Harry felt that Snape could read minds. That still didn’t answer why he was here though. Harry frowned trying to think of the least rude way he could frame the question.

Thankfully he did not have to. Lily had been preparing herself for this for days. She took a deep breath and started…

“ I grew up a couple of blocks from here. Your Aunt Petunia and I would often go to play in a nearby park. I met Sev there. Petunia did not approve of him and often told me not to get involved with him because he was a freak and I was doing freaky things with him….”

Harry listened agape as his mother told him about how her friendship evolved with Snape. It seemed as if she was talking about a different person. The Snape Harry knew was a cynical, evil, bitter man who took every opportunity to get him in trouble, not the person his mum was describing.

“Severus was our spy, you see, so when Voldemort was after us he informed Professor Dumbledore and we went into hiding. We were betrayed by someone who we thought was our friend. I still can’t believe Sirius would do that…” Lily stared into space, lost in her thoughts. She had tactfully avoided Severus’s role in the incident. That was his story to tell when the time was right.

Severus had schooled his expression to a careful neutral throughout the entire tale. He had thought that Lily would explain his involvement as well and was strangely relieved that she avoided it. Coward. You are afraid of what an eleven year old will think of you? You don’t even like him. But then a voice which sounded annoyingly like Dumbledore added “ yet..” He had promised Lily he would help her care for the child. Nowhere along the way was it said he actually had to like him in the process. “But you know she wants you to.” His subconscious Dumbledore intoned. Suddenly he felt guilty. Once again he was thinking of liking Harry because he knew it would get Lily’s approval. He inwardly groaned. This was a lose-lose situation. He decided he would consult Lily later. Meanwhile…

“Umm, okay, so let me get this straight: You came back from this weird world and came here of all places because you think that Sna--”  Harry shot a glance at his teacher, “because Professor Snape  is your friend?,” Harry asked incredulously.

Okay, so it’s now or never. Lily closed her eyes for a moment. “Partly because he is my friend, yes. But he is more than that Harry, I…I love him Harry..he is also my husband and your fa—“

She was cut off by Harry’s loud exclamation “NO!” no no no no no. Oh God, this can’t be happening. He freaking hates me! Now he has actual power over me? He made my life miserable when he was just my teacher, now he can literally control my life. He could be even worse than the Dursleys. They were just muggles, he’s a wizard! Maybe that is why he brought me from the Dursleys , to make my life more miserable. How could Mum marry him? She must be delusional. She doesn’t know Snape. Snape’s tricking her. Maybe he dosed her with some kind of a .. of a … love potion  or something…NO No..

Harry… Harry!” Lily tried to get her son’s attention, who had a wild look in his eyes.

Potter!” Snape spat.

That got Harry’s attention. He was certain his mother had been deceived somehow.

“WHAT the HELL did you do to her?,” he shouted. “She can’t possibly love you, you ..you… mean, sneaky, BASTARD.”   The last word was was shouted with intense force and the glasses on the table shattered as magical energy radiated off Harry.

Severus turned white with anger. How dare he?  How dare the brat address him in such a way?  He fought to keep his anger under control.

Harry suddenly realised what he had just said and done and fear overtook his senses. He took one look at Snape’s expression, and ran. He ran to the front door, yanked it open and raced out.  He had no idea where he was going, and was too frightened to actually care. He just ran… across the road…through the park… a deserted alleyway…a thicket.. “Oww!, he yelped as he ran through a particularly thorny bush. Sudden pain rendered him unable to run any further and he fell. He winced as he lifted up his trousers. There were several bleeding gashes all over his leg, up to his knees. He surrendered to the tears that threatened to flow. Why had he been so stupid? Why had he lost his temper and yelled at  Snape? He could have talked to his Mum later. Now Snape was probably telling his mum all about how arrogant and foolish and reckless and insolent he was. His mum would also be mad at him. And there was no telling what Snape might do to him.

God, I broke his glasses, and I called him a bastard to his face!”  

He shuddered when he thought about the time when he had accidently smashed one glass at the Dursleys. That was just one glass… and Uncle Vernon hurt me sooo bad, I passed out. Snape’s a wizard. I live with him now. Harry’s thoughts were resigned. No! I can’t let him do this to me. I won’t get intimidated by him! I have my Mum now. I’ll just have to avoid Snape and not be alone with him. He probably won’t do anything when Mum is around.

Not knowing where he was and how to go back, and wanting the pain in his leg to go away, he lay down on the field and closed his eyes, thankful to find that he was tired enough to sleep.  Just a short nap, so that my leg hurts less. Then I’ll try to go back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Review!