Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6

 The child ran at an amazingly fast speed and before Severus had even registered what happened, the front door slammed.

Lily and Severus stood, shocked. Lily was the first to break out of the stupor.

“H – he ran. I can’t believe he ran.” Lily started towards the door. “He can’t have gone far.”

Severus was white with anger. Attention seeking, insolent little brat! How dare he? I am his teacher, his elder, No respect whatsoever!

He touched Lily’s shoulder. “No”

“What?”

Severus had a strange gleam in his eyes. “No, let him find his way back. Let him worry. That little episode deserv—“

SMACK. Lily slapped Severus right across his face.

“Are you out of your mind?  I can’t believe that I actually thought you’d change your behaviour towards him.” With that, Lily walked out leaving a deflated Severus behind.


Severus touched his cheek where Lily had slapped him, and slumped onto the couch. There was no there was no other words, he was …ashamed. In his anger, he had once again forgotten that Harry was just a child. A very rude child,  but still, just a child. A child who had just been informed that his new-found mother had married Severus Snape. Severus was well aware of his image amongst his students. He had worked hard to be perceived as a sadistic, hateful, biased man. He had been this way for so long, that even he had forgotten that it was just a façade. He had asked Dumbledore not to reveal the best of him.

Then how could he blame Harry for thinking that way. Of course Harry would think that. Of course Lily would never love him if he actually was the man he made himself out to be.  Except that … he wasn’t. Lily’s marriage to him was proof of that, wasn’t it?

Harry did not know that. How could I even have considered leaving him out there? Yes he was incredibly rude. But Hell, even I would have been rude, given the circumstances.

Severus looked at the time. About twenty minutes had passed. They should have returned by now. Severus frowned and peered out of the window.

There was no one in sight. A little worried, Severus headed outside.  He had the vicinity of his home warded so that no location spells could be used. He would have to search the muggle way. Where was a pre-teen boy likely to go? The park seemed to be the most obvious answer so Severus went in that direction. At the far end of the park he spotted Lily. A very frantic Lily.

“ I – The ‘point me’ spells won’t work …and I have searched and shouted his name ... and I just can’t find him. What if something happened or he was kidnapped or—“

“Shhh Lily, calm yourself. This will get us nowhere. Now, where have you already looked?”

“ The park and all those lanes and alleyways ahead.”

Severus thoughtfully looked around.

“ It is possible that he took off in that direction, towards the main road. You check there and I will look in the woods.”

Lily took a deep breath. ”Right, right. Send a message if you do find him.”


Severus walked silently. The midday sun was scorching. He could already feel his boots heating up. He could make out the silhouettes of trees further ahead and he quickened his pace.

Avoiding the thorny bushes, Severus stepped forward and stopped. His eyes widened. Heart clenching, agonizing, terrifying fear rendered him momentarily paralysed.

For up ahead lay a curled up slumbering boy.

And a giant serpent hovered above his neck, poised, and ready to attack.

Before he knew it, Severus had drawn out his wand “Vipera Evanesca! ,” he shouted.

The spell hit the serpent but to no avail. It bent its head, opened his mouth to reveal long poisonous fangs.

Panicking, Severus cast a stupefy. The spell struck its target .The serpent froze in mid air, and landed with a loud thump onto the ground.

A wave of relief washed over Severus. In a second, he waved his wand sending a glowing doe galloping into the woods.

But as his racing heart slowed, fear gave way to anger.

The fooslish, idiotic, reckless, ignorant boy! Of all the places to fall asleep! Throwing a temper tantrum, running away and placing himself in danger! If I had not arrived in time…  

Severus did not like where that train of thought took him.


Thump.

Harry awoke, startled. He looked around groggily for the cause of the sound and gasped as he saw a gigantic serpent beside him, seemingly dead.

”Mr Potter”

A low, dangerous voice interrupted his thoughts. Harry gulped and turned around to face Snape who glared at him, looking extremely menacing.

Uh Oh. What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? He looks so angry. Where did that snake come from?

A sudden realization hit Harry. Snape saved me. Again. Why does he keep doing that? He hates me. He lives to make my life miserable. Oh, I am in so much trouble now. He will be ten times worse than the Dursleys.

Get up. We will discuss this at home!”

Harry stood, wincing. The gashes on his legs were still terribly painful. As the fabric of his trousers touched the wounds, a little whimper escaped Harry. No, No. Shut up. You cannot let him know you are hurt. Don’t give him the satisfaction!

Snape glanced coolly at him and walked forward. Biting his lip, Harry followed him.

His pain in his leg was slowly becoming agonizing. Soon, he couldn’t bear it. So when he stumbled upon a little rock in the way and fell, he found he could not get up again.


Severus heard a little whimper behind him. So the boy thought he would play the pity card? It would not work on him. He glared at the little brat and walked forward.

Had he glanced behind, he would have seen that the child was limping and that his eyes glistened with tears.

After about ten minutes, Severus looked back to make sure that the boy was following him and cursed. Harry was sitting on the ground, with legs splayed out, his face was contorted and eyes squeezed shut.

Again, Severus berated himself. I should have known! The child was in pain and I ignored it!

Severus crouched beside Harry and took his hands.

“Potter?”

A quiet whimper responded and Severus felt his heart shatter. This was not the time to engage himself in self-hate. He needed to tend to Harry.

“What is it, child?” Unconsciously, the appellation slipped out of his lips.

A few tears leaked through the clenched eyes.  A shaking finger pointed towards the child’s legs.

Severus gently rolled up Harry’s trousers eliciting more whimpers. Severus hissed at the sight. The boy must be in agony. He had probably run through those poisonous thorny bushes. He would soon develop a rash. Severus pulled out his wand and began to perform the basic healing spells, closing the wounds.


“What is it, child?”

Child. That word broke Harry and he pointed towards his legs. He wanted to glare at Snape,to be mad at him, but somehow, he could not do it. Not now, anyway. To his surprise, Snape began to heal his wounds.

Harrys eyes followed Severus’s wand movements. I wonder why he is doing this. He hates me.

After tending to Harry’s leg, Snape nodded curtly. “Come.” He offered his hand to Harry but Harry ignored it, pushing himself up against the ground.

This time, Severus slowed down his pace, walking just a little ahead of Harry.  He kept shooting surreptitious glances at Harry’s shadow as they went silently back home.

To be continued...
Chapter End Notes:
Please review!