Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Floor Plan for Severus' Quarters:



Chapter 5

Draco sat in his room more confused than he had ever been in his life. He had gotten very little sleep the night before as his racing mind tried to process all that he had found out. He had suspected there was something wrong with Potter's homelife, but he had never thought it was as bad as it now seemed to have been. However, it wasn't just the fact that the other boy's injuries had been so frighteningly severe that had sent Draco's world on its head. He couldn't believe that his Uncle Severus had another godson and that that other godson was Harry Potter.

The story Dumbledore had told the night before had made sense. He knew that many children born during the war had been given two sets of godparents. He himself hadn't, as Lucius and Narcissa had never dreamed of their side losing or even taking much damage. He had lost his godmother – a distant cousin of his mother's - , but obviously Severus had survived, now the only remaining godparent for both him and Potter apparently. He was angry at the Headmaster's manipulations of the man and he wasn't too happy about the idea that someone who could so easily manage to forget how his actions affected people was seen as 'the Leader of the Light'.

He had winced at the knowledge that Potter's surviving godmother had been Alice Longbottom. He had heard enough of his parents bragging to know that his aunt was partially responsible for what had happened to the woman and her husband. If his aunt hadn't done that, then perhaps Potter would be moving to stay with Longbottom, but it had happened, and now Potter would be living with him. They were godbrothers and that was going to take some getting used to. He had wanted to help the other boy and maybe even end up friends someday, but he had never expected for them to end up nearly family.

He had tried to question his godfather after Potter had fallen asleep the night before, but all the man had done was confirm what Dumbledore had said and refuse to tell him how badly the other boy had been hurt, reminding Draco sharply that he wouldn't want Severus giving out information about his abuse to his classmates. He had blushed slightly at that and tried to force down his curiosity about that particular matter. He would have to go into this situation slightly blind and try to figure out how to treat the boy he was now living with without knowing how he had been treated in the past other than the simple fact that it had been bad.

He walked quietly into the sitting room and peered around the corner to see his godfather attempting to read the paper and failing as his worried gaze kept traveling to the sleeping boy on the couch. He watched the pair for a moment before heading back to his room. A door had appeared across from his in the night and when he had woken up that morning, he had peaked inside at the room. The elves had placed basic furniture inside, but it was a plain room. Severus had obviously shared his opinion; because he had announced over breakfast that he would need to take them shopping once Harry had recovered.

It was a shock to hear his godfather referring to Potter as Harry, but he supposed that he ought to do the same. They might still be in rival houses, but if he was placing himself on Potter's side in the war he knew was coming and they would be living together, it would likely be best for them to be on a first name basis as soon as possible. He couldn't say that he was particularly happy about the situation, but it wasn't as if he had given his godfather a choice about taking him in. He knew that Severus had said he was fine with Draco living with him, but he had no room to protest who else the man chose to allow to stay with him.

It wasn't as if he truly minded being around the other boy. He might have spent the last two years pretending to hate him, but the most annoying things about Potter were the fact that he was a Gryffindor, and the fact that he had chosen a best friend who didn't seem to know what manners were. He simply wasn't sure that he liked the idea of sharing his godfather. He had always had the man's undivided attention when he stayed with him – with the exception of potions - and it was clear that wouldn't be the case any longer. He would just have to get used to it, it wasn't as if the other boy had anywhere else to go.

He finally decided to step back into the sitting room and speak to his godfather instead of merely spying on him. He found his godfather and godbrother exactly how he had left them a few minutes before. He couldn't help but worry slightly for the other boy. As far as he knew, Pot-Harry had slept through the night and it was nearing noon. As his godfather had refused to give him any details, he worried that Harry was more injured then he knew.

"Is he alright?" Draco asked softly.

His godfather looked slightly startled before looking up at him and Draco knew instantly that the man must not have slept well either or he would never have let himself be surprised by his thirteen year old godson, "He should wake soon. Sleep will help him heal." The man replied.

Draco nodded and turned his attention back to the other boy. He was small – too small – and Draco had always known that. He had been considered small for his age but Harry had taken that to another level as the smallest child in the school. He didn't like seeing the other boy looking so hurt. He didn't like seeing anyone hurt, as much as he had tried to pretend otherwise. It was one of the reasons he had known that he couldn't be who his parents wanted him to be. He didn't think he could have just sat back while people were tortured and killed and he knew he couldn't have done it himself.

He wondered how things would change now. He had hoped to someday be friends with Harry, but now they were suddenly living together and sharing a godfather. He didn't know if the other boy would ever trust him and that would be ten times worse in the situation they had now found themselves in. If they couldn't make things work, Harry would likely chose to live with someone else when Summer was over and Draco knew that wasn't what Severus wanted.

Draco grabbed a potions textbook he had left sitting on a nearby bookshelf and sat down in a chair near his godfather to wait. One way or another, he needed to try to make this work. He owed it to Severus to make sure Harry would stay.


Harry slowly came to awareness before remembering exactly where he was and wishing he could just go back to sleep instead of trying to make sense of the confusing mess that was his life at the moment. He kept his eyes closed as he attempted to decide what to do. He was in the quarters of someone who until the night before, he had believed to be one of the three people in the wizarding world who hated him the most and another of those three people was there was well. However, if he believed what he had been told – and somehow, he did – than he should at least be mildly safe.

It would be easy to confirm if Snape had testified under Veritaserum that he had always been a spy and if he asked Hermione to help him with his research, he should be able to confirm if Snape had truly been his mother's friend as well. He didn't think the man would have bothered with lies that could be so easily uncovered. Not to mention that Dumbledore had been the one to tell him, though he wasn't sure how much he really trusted the man anymore after the other things he had told him. Malfoy had kept his promise as well and if his parents were in jail then he should at least be safe from being taken for a third go around with Voldemort. If the man who was apparently his godfather had always been on the light side, he wouldn't be killing him and he doubted he would let Malfoy kill him either so if he could trust that he wouldn't be killed or given to Voldemort, then they really couldn't do anything worse than his uncle had.

Calmed slightly by establishing that he at least wasn't in a worse situation and it might possibly be a better one without being under the influence of potions, he decided to finally open his eyes and alert the people he could hear breathing near him to the fact that he was awake. He pushed himself up slowly to a sitting position, easily ignoring the soreness as it was so much less then he was used to. He felt for the table he had seen next to the bed he was in and found his glasses, placing them on his face and looking up to see Snape and Malfoy sitting to his left.

Malfoy had his nose buried in a book Snape was watching him, having clearly just put down a newspaper, "How are you feeling?" the man asked and the boy next to him quickly marked his page at sat down the book he had been reading, turning his attention to Harry as well.

"I'm fine, sir." Harry replied, uncomfortable at the attention on him but not wanting them to see it.

It was clear by the look on his face that the man didn't believe him, but he simply nodded before speaking again, "Let me know if you require a pain potion." he said before glancing at the clock on the wall, "I believe it is time for lunch." he announced.

Harry began to get up from the couch before realizing that he was still in the hospital pajamas, blushing he gathered the courage to as the man a question, "Sir, is my trunk here?" he asked.

"It is." The man confirmed with a nod, "Draco, please show Harry to his room while I ask Kenzie for our lunch." Snape said, stepping into the kitchen.

"Your room is this way." The blond boy said, looking slightly nervous as he led Harry to a hallway off of the sitting room.

Harry spotted three doors as he stepped into the hallway, ignoring the increased soreness as he walked and Draco quickly explained what they were, "The room on the right is my room and the one on the left is yours. The bathroom's at the end of the hallway, the elves made it slightly bigger when they added your room so there are two sinks now and you have your own cabinet for your toothbrush and things."

Harry opened the door to the room Draco had said was his and his eyes widened. The room wasn't huge, but it was bigger than Dudley's second bedroom had been and certainly nicer. There was a four poster bed like the ones in the dorms with his truck at the foot of the bed and a nightstand next to it and a dresser near what he assumed was a clothes cupboard along the same wall as the bed. A desk and chair sat near the door, with Hedwig's cage by the desk. Along another wall there was an empty bookshelf with an armchair next to it and there was more empty shelving on the wall between the bed and the desk.

"I know it's bare at the moment. Uncle Severus says he'll take us shopping soon so you can pick out some things to make it 'more your own'." The other boy informed him, snapping him out of his astonishment.

"It's great. He doesn't have to do that." Harry said, unused to anyone buying things for him.

"He will though. He said that he'll take me as well and I brought most of my things from home." Draco informed him, looking slightly understanding.

Harry nodded, "I'm gonna change now and … get ready." he said, still looking around the room, "Thank you for showing me where it was." He added as the other boy walked away.

Draco turned back and gave a small smile before leaving Harry alone to take in the fact that this was now his room. He riffled through his truck before pulling out one of his school uniforms as it was too warm to wear his Weasley sweater. He pulled out his toothbrush as well, smiling as he thought about how it always seemed to get replaced at Hogwarts whenever it started to get a bit frayed. He had done some research on house elves after freeing Dobby and he assumed it was the Hogwarts elves who were behind it. The little creatures took better care of him then the Dursley's ever had.

With that done, he made his way to the bathroom, locking the door and double checking it before heading towards the sink with nothing sitting around it, assuming it was his. He opened the cabinet, surprised to find toothpaste and a few other small things already there. He frowned slightly, wondering if it was the wrong cabinet before opening the cabinet over the other sink. He spotted everything that had been in the other cabinet and much more and headed back to the first one, deciding that it must have been the elves again.

He quickly readied himself for the day before stepping out of the bathroom and making his way back into the sitting room, spotting his new housemates waiting for him at the dining room table. There were bowls of soup sitting out and he blushed slightly, know that was likely because of him as Snape had seemed to know the night before that he hadn't eaten in three days.

"Thank you, sir." Harry said before sitting at the open seat with soup in front of it.

"There is no need to thank me, I do have a kitchen, but the elves made our lunch today." The man said.

Harry nodded his understanding and waited for the other two to begin eating before starting in on his own soup.

He hadn't eaten anything but the Dursley's leftovers all Summer and it felt nice that someone had actually made sure there was food for him. He felt a tiny amount of hope that just maybe this really would be better than the Dursley's. If both of the people he had been living with had been putting on an act for the last two years, then he really didn't know them at all so he decide to attempt to treat the situation like that. He would look at it as living with people he had never met as much as could. He didn't know if he could trust them not to hurt him, but he also didn't know if he couldn't.

He hadn't fully trusted adults in a long time; he could never actually remember trusting one until Hagrid. Other than the half giant, he had trusted the Headmaster and Professor's Sprout, Sinastra and Flitwick not to hurt him, but no more than that. He had a tentative trust in his Head of House, though she had a tendency not to trust him and her strict nature often made him nervous. He didn't think she would harm him, but he felt more comfortable with the others. He had never trusted any of them to protect him and certainly not with any of his secrets. Hagrid alone had that level of trust among the adults at the school.

After the time he had spent with the Weasley's the year before, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had become second to Hagrid on his mental "safe" list. He wouldn't trust them with secrets, but he did trust them not to harm him as well as to protect him. He had felt safer at The Burrow than anywhere else he had ever been. Maybe now he might someday learn to trust Professor Snape that way as well, but he would make sure the man had earned it first.

It was slightly easier to trust people closer to his age, he trusted both Ron and Hermione more than anyone and the twins and Neville were close behind. He didn't believe that his other dorm mates, his Quidditch teammates or Percy and Ginny Weasley would physically hurt him, but he didn't trust them beyond that. After his experiences in primary school, he viewed the rest of his classmates as potential dangers. He was considering elevating Malfoy out of the 'danger' category, but he wasn't sure he was ready to do that with Snape yet.

The school was safer the Dursley's house had ever been and certainly more of a home, but he wasn't so blind as to believe himself safe at Hogwarts. Safer then he would be in other places perhaps, but not safe. It would be so nice to have somewhere else that was safe. He couldn't help the tiny glimmer of hope that was starting to grow, but it also scared him. He desperately didn't want to have to lose that hope.

Harry finished his soup, surprising himself until he realized that the pumpkin juice that had tasted slightly off might have had something to do with that, "I can do the dishes, sir." He offered, seeing the others were finished as well.

"There is no need for that." Severus said, standing up and gathering the dishes himself before placing them in the kitchen sink and casting a spell to clean them, "I expect you to keep your room clean and help Mr. Malfoy keep the bathroom you share clean as well as to complete any other chore I specifically ask you to do, though that will likely not happen often as I have an elf who is more than happy to do the majority of the housework. I ask you to do this much only because you may not always have a house elf around and I wish for the both of you to know how to function for yourselves in that case."

Harry nodded, knowing that he most certainly knew how to cook and clean already, but much too relieved after a lifetime of doing all of the housework at the Dursley's to even care about having to keep a single bedroom and bathroom clean, "Yes sir." he told his new godfather.

"Harry, you may unpack or work on your Summer homework if you wish, but I do wish for you to rest today. You are not yet fully recovered." The man said, "I will be in my potions lab for the next hour or two if you need me." He added before sweeping into a room off the sitting room.

Malfoy stepped into the sitting room, looking at one of the many bookshelves for a moment before grabbing a different one then the book he had been reading earlier and settling into a chair. Satisfied that he knew where both of the others were, Harry headed into his room to unpack before starting on his homework. Something told him that his godbrother was likely already finished and he didn't want to give Snape a reason to be angry with him for taking too long with his. As strange as the situation was, he was determined to not make things any worse.

Chapter End Notes:
I am completely floored by the reaction to this story. I can't even begin to tell you all how happy each favorite and review makes me! Bewtween here and on FF.net, I have never had anywhere near so many reviews on a single chapter of a multichapter story and I have been so excited to get each one! I really love hearing from you guys! I hope that you all liked this chapter.