Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as always to my Betas RTD and Azure without whom this would make a lot less sense and would probably stop happening altogether as I get stuck or in a tangle. Sorry for the slow progress, have been getting regular 2-4 day long migraines which isn't fun, may be a short while before next update as I want to finish the next chapter of another fic I'm working on.


Will update as quick as I can - next chapter is going to be seeing much more of Dumbledore, Neville, Hermione and their first flying lesson.
First Day

Harry woke with a start, looking around the unfamiliar surroundings warily before remembering that he was now in Hogwarts. Opening the heavy drapes around his bed he could see that the other boys were still asleep, their curtains drawn and in the case of at least two of them the sounds of snoring confirmed this.

He was in a dorm of eight, the room was very large and each boy had their own area. During the early morning quiet Harry took the opportunity to examine the room in a bit more detail, from what he had read it would seem that his year was quite small compared to years past, but considering the country was at war during the years surrounding his birth that was quite understandable and it would be a few years before classes at Hogwarts increased back to their past average numbers.

As it was, all the first year Slytherin boys were in one dorm, they would split into smaller rooms as they got older according to Hogwarts: A History. Harry had his bed in the corner furthest from the door, next to him was Draco in an identical four poster bed with heavy green velvet drapes, opposite the beds were the shared drawers, wardrobe and dressing table for the two beds, each divided equally and with privacy charms to prevent theft or pranks.

The next two beds held Theodore Nott and Blaise Zabini, two quiet boys that Harry had yet to truly meet, then Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle and the last two beds, nearest the door and apparently the least desired, held Corbin Bole and Reginald Bletchley.

Draco had whispered pieces of information about each of the other first years to Harry during the feast the night before and he knew that both Bole and Bletchley had older brothers in Slytherin but their general tardiness had earned them the least liked beds as they had been too busy talking to their brothers rather than following Professor Snape to the dorm. He had also discovered that Draco had known Vincent and Greg since they were very young and had met Blaise several times over the years as their parents all moved in the same social circles.

Harry had also been given snippets of information about the first year girls in his new House, though there were only six this year. Draco only personally knew two of them, had heard a bit about another two and nothing at all of the last one which led him to think she was Muggle-Born, a fact which was apparently very rare in Slytherin. Pansy Parkinson was another friend of Draco's when growing up and he had met Daphne Greengrass on occasion. He had heard of both Tracey Davies' family and Millicent Bulstrode's family but never actually met with them before. Ebony Kershaw was unknown and from her awestruck demeanour she was not used to wizarding architecture or environments, the fact she wore glasses also indicated a non-magical upbringing.

Harry was shaken out of his musings when a chime went off, waking his roommates. He jumped out of bed and quickly washed himself before getting dressed in his new school uniform. He was still struggling with his new green and silver tie when Draco finished his own morning routine and came over to help.

"Really Potter" the young blonde sniffed, "One would think you had been raised by apes by looking at you! No… stop that, just stand still and let me fix it."

"Draco!" Harry tried once more to stop the other boy fussing.

Undeterred by the darker boy's protests Draco quickly knotted and straightened his tie and followed up by pulling his uniform straight and even tidying his hair.

"Seriously Harry," the young pureblood offered, "This is something Mother taught me from birth, Professor Snape likes his Snakes to be well presented at all times as well and it only took a minute. Now come on… we don't want to be late for breakfast today of all days! We're getting class schedules and today is our orientation, our only day being guided around the school by the older years and we get to meet all our teachers! Come on!"

Harry could do nothing but follow the blonde whirlwind. To be honest he found it quite refreshing and was managing to 'go with the flow' as Tom advised far easier than he had expected. Some instinct told him that he could trust Draco, Hermione and Neville more than anyone he had ever met before - other than Tom that is, and Professor Snape come to think of it.

Although he still struggled to show that trust to the adults at least, he could already feel the past fading even further behind him.

~#~

Harry was once again awed by the Great Hall, he had been too tired and overwhelmed the night before to take in the magnificent medieval architecture and the grand nature of the room, it reminded him of the pictures he had seen of the grand dining halls at Kings College and other ancient places of learning, or even a cathedral.

He gave a tentative wave when he saw Neville sitting at the Hufflepuff table with Hannah and Susan and another boy he vaguely recognised from the day before, Justin someone or other, and was pleased when they waved back. The dark haired boy was beginning to think he liked the idea of 'friends' and looked forward to furthering his relationships with the other children.

After a good sized breakfast of porridge, bacon, eggs and toast – a combination that Harry had become quite fond of while staying at the Leaky Cauldron – he received his timetable both for the orientation day (unlike normal days he would see all of his classrooms and meet all his teachers today) and his regular class schedule. Frankly he was shocked by how few classes he had over the course of a week, he had commented on it when first getting his books and was now reminded of it.

Out of curiosity he had looked up the local comprehensive school in Little Whinging, that was where he had been expecting to go when Dudley headed off to Smelting's for his own private education, the comprehensive was free to attend and had a free bus service so his Aunt and Uncle couldn't prevent him going there.

Draco noticed the odd mix of amusement and disgust as Harry studied the timetable and wondered what caused it.

"What's wrong Harry? Are the classes not to your liking?" he joked, smirking slightly. "I can understand why, I mean… potions with the Gryffindorks!? Though could be worse, could be the Hufflepuffs, at least the lions probably won't cry when Professor Snape looks at them." he sneered.

"Well, not wrong… so much as, well… there's not many classes are there?" Harry pointed out, he had confided a little in Draco during their conversation the day before and the blonde knew that he had been raised by Muggles – though nothing of the abuse.

"What other classes would you need?" Draco looked honestly confused.

"If I had gone to a Muggle Comprehensive School instead of here then I may well have had a timetable made up of eleven or more classes throughout the week, depending on the time of year" Harry replied seriously "One school I looked at listed the classes for the first two years as Science – which is Biology, Physics and Chemistry, English, Maths, Technology – which is crafting skills, Home Technology – sewing and cooking, Art, Humanities – History, Geography and Ethics, Religious Education, German or French, Physical Education and Music…!"

Draco gaped, not caring about how his mouth hung open in shock. Both Blaise and Pansy looked stunned by the list, they had never heard anything about Muggle schooling, or – to be frankly honest – had they ever been interested, but this made it sound like a Muggle school rivalled Hogwarts for quality!

"Was… was that a premier school as well then?" Draco finally managed.

"Oh no" Harry answered carelessly, "That was the free school near where I grew up, my cousin is at an 'Exclusive' School and they also study Latin, Grammar, Politics and Elocution from first year… sounds pretty dull really."

The purebloods all swallowed nervously and looked down at their timetables and the classes listed there, it suddenly seemed very… empty.

Transfiguration

Charms

Potions

History of Magic

Herbology

Flying

Astronomy

Defence Against the Dark Arts

There was nothing artistic, nothing creative or about practical craft, nothing for basic life skills like maths or communication, it was all very well for those well off enough to employ accountants or servants to handle the day to day running of things but what about everybody else?

They were shaken from their thoughts when the fifth year students came to show them around the school and answer any questions they had about the school, the teachers, the classes or anything else they wanted to know.

~#~

The fifth years were very efficient in guiding their young charges around the school, warning them about such hazards as the moving staircases, the animate suits of armour, the Whomping Willow and other hazardous plants as well as showing them a few shortcuts and tips such as asking the portraits for help when needed – with a well-placed reminder that manners help a lot in this situation.

Felicity Whitlow, a Fifth Year prefect, also gave them a study guide that included book references for the library and a list of tips for study and class preparation.

"Remember the three P's, Slytherins are poised, prepared and punctual at all times" Felicity said, looking each first year in the eye, "If you tarnish our reputation then you will face the… disappointment… of not only Professor Snape but the rest of us. You will get one warning only, if you continue to fail to behave in a manner befitting a member of our noble House then you will start earning punishments. These vary from cleaning the communal areas and bathrooms by hand, waiting on your housemates, losing privileges and access to more pleasurable pass times, to detentions with Professor Snape for persistent offenders. Understood?"

The first years nodded, almost in unison. Felicity had to turn away to hide her smile as she nearly burst out laughing at their terrified expressions. She could not remember being so small and so in awe of the older years and the Castle. It wouldn't be long until they had all the posture and confidence befitting a Slytherin though.

The tour was soon completed and they were back in their common room after a much less extravagant but just as delicious dinner. Harry, Draco, Blaise, Pansy and Daphne decided to work together on preparing for the following day; they had Transfiguration with Ravenclaw followed by lunch and then History of Magic with Hufflepuff and finally Potions with Gryffindor.

They had met all of the teachers and with the preparation he had already done with Severus in the summer and that he was doing now, Harry felt that he would be well prepared for the next day.

~#~

Healer Trimble left Riddle Manor looking confused, he had a nagging feeling that something far more important than a standard Mind Healing session had occurred yet he clearly remembered helping the resident with his severe floo phobia. Shaking his head in bewilderment he made his way past the wards and apparated home, by the time he had eaten his supper he had completely forgotten his mysterious patient.

Back in the Manor there was a new buzz of activity. House elves were busy cleaning and airing out the gloomy building and removing furniture coverings as well as making essential repairs. All in all it was looking far more cheerful and was once again a home.

Voldemort was in the now cosy library with Lucius Malfoy, the blonde aristocrat had arrived shortly after Healer Trimble had departed. Lucius couldn't help but notice that his leader was looking much more at peace with himself though a tightness remained around his mouth.

"My Lord, I am pleased to see you looking so well" he ventured, giving an elegant nod of respect as he lowered himself into one of the large, comfortable chairs by the fire.

"Lucius" Voldemort acknowledged as he made himself comfortable. "My meetings with Healer Trimble are now complete, my core and my mind are once again stable and synchronised with one another. However I have been unable to trace all of the manipulations and alterations that have occurred in the past. I believe that I have found the way to find this information but it has its own... risks. I have a list of items that must be recovered and quickly, the diary I entrusted to you, Slytherin's locket, Ravenclaw's diadem and the Gaunt family ring. Helga Hufflepuff's chalice has already been cleansed.

"I also need you to locate a particular wizard for me; I need to find a Spirit Walker, a Shaman. The practice has long died out in Western Europe so we will need your contacts in either Russia or perhaps the Americas.

"The Soul Fragment within Helga's chalice was essentially destroyed with my rebirth, however each of the other Horcruxes are essentially time capsules of my magic, my mind and my core at various intervals in my past - with the aid of a skilled Spirit Walker I may yet be able to prove my betrayer and reverse the damage completely before absorbing the Soul pieces back into my core."

Voldemort looked his most loyal follower and perhaps closest friend in the eye as he spoke. He saw the hidden reflections of shock, enlightenment and determination in Lucius' expression as he revealed his plan. He was reassured to see that Malfoy did not look concerned by his task and was ready to get straight to work on his new goal once released from his Lord's presence.

After some small talk and some fine brandy Lucius took his leave, already planning his letters to contacts as the green flames of the Floo swirled him away.

~#~

The first class for the Slytherin first years was Transfiguration with Ravenclaw. Harry wasn't sure if he was looking forward to the class; during orientation the day before he had gotten the distinct impression that Professor McGonagall was disappointed with him and he didn't know why.

He found a seat towards the back of the classroom so his back was protected, with one side to the door and Draco between him and the other students; he felt secure enough to focus on his books and prepared for the class.

Both he and his blonde friend jumped as the cat that had been grooming itself on the teacher's desk suddenly transformed into their dour Professor. Harry found himself wondering about the physics of the transformation - how the transfer of mass occurred - but decided to simply shrug it off under the mantle of 'magic' for the time being until he learned more.

The first lesson was mostly about theory and learning the magic incantation and wand movement along with some limitations. For example they learned that transfigurations would be temporary unless they infused the object with some of their own magic to 'fix' the change - relatively easy for inanimate objects but exceedingly difficult for animate and almost impossible for sentient creatures.

"Have you any questions?" she asked as she finished explaining.

Harry tentatively raised his hand as an idea suddenly gripped him.

"Umn... Professor? is there any way with a permanent transfigured object to tell that it has been transfigured? and if so can you reverse it without knowing the previous form?" he asked, almost whispering.

"It is possible to reverse transfigured objects but identifying them is a complicated and not altogether reliable process unless the Witch or Wizard has specialised in that field, why do you ask?" McGonagall queried, eyebrow raised as she looked at him

"Well, if you had a stolen object... or even a body to hide... then you could simply transfigure it into something else to hide it and then leave it in plain sight. It's rather scary and all too easy really..." Harry flushed as everyone looked at him - the class bore a mixture of admiration and horror - depending on their background.

McGonagall just looked like she had swallowed her tongue and was gulping convulsively and staring at him, utterly shocked.

"Yes, well, that's why the Aurors have a division that specialises in such spell work and other detection techniques Mr Potter" she managed to reply after a few moments "So I can assure you that I am not going to be teaching you methods of body disposal!"

She was soon distracted by more questions from the rest of the class, especially the Ravenclaws, but kept giving him looks that were a strange mix of concerned and suspicion.

Harry decided it would be a good idea to keep his more out-of-the box ideas to himself for the time being and just concentrated on taking notes.

As Transfiguration was a double period it took them almost to lunch, a single session was left free as a 'study period' but as term had just started the students headed to their common rooms or outside instead of the Library.

"Harry, where did those questions come from?" Draco asked, one eyebrow raised.

"I dunno" Harry shrugged, picking at invisible dirt on his trousers as they settled on a sofa in the common room. "It just came to me, I mean - those spells she mentioned the Aurors use, do they reveal the original shape or just the last transfigured form? Could you hide something just by transfiguring it say three or four times?"

The blonde Slytherin stared at his friend, mouth open in shock. He had never considered such a possibility and had never heard even his father mention anything like that when Draco had eavesdropped on him and his friends.

The two boys spent some time writing a quick letter or two each, Draco writing to his father and Harry to Tom and a short note to Professor Snape, before they had to head off to lunch.

'Dear Father'

Draco wrote.

'As you said, the first twenty-four hours are proving to be very interesting.

You will be pleased to note I am in Slytherin as expected. I know you said Ravenclaw was acceptable as an alternative but I know a true Malfoy could only be at home in the Snake Pit.

Godfather has made me most welcome, giving me a choice bed in the dorm and letting me know I can see him at any time should there be any need.

You will never guess who is also in Slytherin with me Father! -Harry Potter!-

The look on everyone's faces when the Sorting Hat called it out was priceless; I do wish you had been here to see it! I have made sure to welcome him and show all the grace and manners I possess as befits your heir.

I had, in fact, met him on the train. I knew who he was of course, despite him keeping his identity rather secret. Father, he is nothing like I expected. He is nothing like myself or any of the other Purebloods, yet nothing like the mudbloods either.

In Transfigurations this morning, well, I think he actually -scared- that old Cat McGonagall! I mean, really Father! He was asking bizarre questions about whether you could hide stolen goods or even -bodies- by transfiguring them into other items! After the Professor told us that there are Wizards that can detect and reverse that kind of thing he then wondered how far back do they check - do they only reverse a couple of transfigurations or could you hide the goods by changing them several times?

He is not what the Old Fool was expecting I think and I hope it does not displease you Father but I am becoming fast friends with Harry, I hope you will allow me to invite him to the Manor for one of the holidays?

Your loving Son

Draco Malfoy'

He signed off with a flourish and fastened it with a simple green ribbon that self-locked, his father had refused him the use of a family seal until his first report card at Yule. Draco then took it to the magical window that allowed the dungeon students to access their postal birds without a lengthy climb to the Owlry and send it off with his fine hawk, Ura.

He had named her Urania after the Greek Muse of Astrology in honour of his mother's family and their penchant for naming both people and familiars after the stars but quickly shortened it for ease.

Harry's letter to Tom was short and stilted, he had never written to anyone before, never had anyone he wanted to write to before.

Dear Tom

I have arrived safely. The train ride was long but not boring. I met a red head called Ron first but he was rude and greedy and then Neville and Hermione. Neville is like me I think but he didn't say. Hermione is quite chatty but nice.

I made friends with Draco Malfoy, he stopped Ron from hurting me. We're in Slytherin together.

Sev put me in the corner so I'm safe. Draco is next to me so I'm safe. Sev gave me a light.

How are you and everyone?

Harry

He sent that letter off with Hedwig, pleased that he had someone to send mail to and that Hedwig wouldn't feel neglected. His note to Professor Snape was even shorter and just as awkward.

Dear Professor

Please can I come see you? Need to talk.

Can I see Kari? Is she happy?

Harry

He sent that note off with one of the house elves, the poor creature falling over himself with joy at being able to help 'The Great Master Harry Potter Sir' with such a task.

~#~

Lunch was yet another extravagant spread. Harry stared in awe as Draco served them both in his impatience, selecting a range of cold roast meats and salad as the weather was still quite warm this early in the year.

After the mid-day meal they would be spending the entire afternoon in their first Potions class under their head of House. Harry would have been looking forward to it if they had been with either Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff but for some bizarre reason they would be spending their most dangerous class with the Gryffindors.

It was obvious that his Guardian was not responsible for arranging the class schedule, there was no way that he would ever put such bitter rivals in close proximity with potentially explosive materials.

Harry sighed to himself as he sat down to eat, not sure if he was looking forward to this at all.

~#~

Down in the dungeons the first year Gryffindors and Slytherins gathered in the corridor outside the Potions classroom. They were in two distinct groups and Harry couldn't help but shudder when he saw the red-head from the train.

The ginger Gryffindor was glowering at Harry and kept muttering to the two boys stood by him, they also scowled at the shy brunette who did his best to stay as far from them as possible.

As soon as possible he headed into the classroom with Draco and sat with the blonde at the front with the other Slytherins. He quickly pulled out some parchment and a Never-Out quill that was self-inking and saved much time and mess.

Just as everyone was settled in the dimly lit classroom the professor swept into the room, his black robes billowing behind him. Without breaking stride he waved his wand to close the door and spoke, his velvety voice filled with both threat and promise.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making. As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death… if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

He sneered as he looked around the room, taking in each student and making a mental note about their expression and appearance. He was pleased to note that most of the Slytherins at least looked attentive, though a few looked actually interested, including Harry and Draco.

Over among the Gryffindors there were mostly sour faces, they had already been warned about the 'Greasy Git' and his hatred of their house. He smirked slightly as he prepared to shock them this year, though he made a mental note about the Weasley boy who looked like trouble with his petulant expression. The Muggle-born boy next to him - Dean Thomas - however, looked like he was fascinated by the prospect.

"Now, as I can't trust any of you to not kill us all with your ineptitude we are going to be starting with some basic skills lessons. As such you will be preparing the concoction on the board before you" Snape drawled, flicking his wand to show the instructions to the students.

"Oh you have got to me kidding me!" Ron exclaimed, his face screwing up in disgust.

Everyone turned and stared as the Potions Master rounded on the suddenly nervous looking boy, any other students that had been less than pleased with the assignment were quick to disguise the fact when they saw their teacher's face.

"Mr Weasley" he snapped "I suppose you think you are too good for this assignment? that you are already a master of the craft? Do you know why I have assigned this task?"

"N-n-no Sir..." Ron shook his head and stammered.

"What happens, Mr Weasley, if you mince ginger root in a Draught of Clarity instead of dicing it?" Snape asked, smirking at the terrified boy.

"I...I don't know" the red head had to admit, flushing with embarrassment.

"And what is the difference between mincing and dicing?" Snape continued, looming over the stocky Gryffindor.

"Umn..." Ron looked baffled, turning to his housemates for help. "I... I don't know" He finally admitted.

"And that is why I have assigned this work!" Snape exclaimed. "If you use minced ginger instead of diced in that particular potion, which you will learn next year, then the person drinking the concoction would have an aneurysm - that is for those of you that don't know - a rise in blood pressure so sudden within the brain that a blood vessel actually bursts. If lucky death is instantaneous as the disabilities caused by such a malady cannot be treated by Magic, in fact they leave a patient unstable so they must be drained of their magic and taken to a Muggle facility.

The reason why this reaction is so strong is because the ginger has too large a surface area and reacts with the milkweed sap too quickly, by dicing instead of mincing is absorbs at the correct rate for the desired result.

The purpose of this session is to learn the difference between diced and minced, chopped and sliced, crushed and pulverised, ground and pureed as well as lab safety, how to use your equipment and other vital skills.

Now, get to it, and Mr Weasley, five points from Gryffindor for your attitude. However, as it is your first day, I will give you the chance to earn those points back if your results are satisfactory. Understand?" Snape raised an eyebrow as he watched the stunned boy.

"Y-yes Sir" Ron gulped and looked back to the board, jumping when all the ingredients appeared on the desk before him.

Harry smirked as he looked at the board before him and down to the illustrated 'fact sheet' that had appeared with the ingredients.

The fact sheet included instructions on how to prepare each ingredient and pictures of the finished products as well as tips on how to achieve each step as well as safety instructions, diagrams on how to hold a knife safely and a basic 'reflection' charm that could be placed over a cauldron to stop items falling in or being thrown in - a hand belonging to the castor of the spell had to enter the area covered by the charm to release the ingredients otherwise they would be repelled.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" Snape barked as the children looked at the board in shock. "It won't make itself, get going!"

Draco raised his hand nervously, waiting for the dour looking Potions Master to nod before he spoke.

"Sir, what potion is it? I don't recognise it" the young Pureblood asked, his brow wrinkled in confusion.

There were several sniggers around the class from the various Muggle-born or raised students, though the other Purebloods or those raised in an entirely Magical environment looked equally confused.

"Mr Malfoy, I know you have never cooked in your life and in all likelihood have never even visited the kitchen in your manor but surely even you can identify a recipe when you see one?" Severus sighed, stunned by how oblivious some students could be. "Surely beef, tomatoes, onions and other vegetables and seasonings without a single magical element would give you a clue? Or perhaps the part labelled 'Serving Suggestions'? No? Well now you know. It is Minestrone Soup - chosen because it contains many of the basic techniques you will be using in this year's potions."

Snape looked each student in the eye again, warning them with just his glare.

"I will not be allowing any of you to advance onto more volatile ingredients until I am certain you are safe to do so, however, if you impress me with your culinary skills then you shall advance that much sooner. Now stop gaping at me like stunned fish and get to work, you now only have ninety minutes to complete your soup."

Harry and Draco were working together and soon started on their ingredients, carefully mincing the beef, taking a clean knife and chopping board before dicing onions, slicing carrot and green beans, mincing garlic before going to separate boards and Harry worked on crushing and grinding the various dried herbs and black pepper while Draco diced celery and tomatoes.

Once the ingredients were ready they set their cauldron to heat and after a couple of tries they managed to get the protection charm in place and started combining the items in the large pot.

First browning the meat, adding the onions and seasoning, then adding the stock that the Professor had provided and adding the carefully prepared vegetables and some fresh kidney beans that hadn't needed any prep at set intervals so they would cook in the right amount of time and keep the right texture.

Once it was simmering safely they were able to clean up their work station and look around and Harry was surprised to see the amount of trouble some people were having. Several tables were in complete disarray, Severus was busy healing minor cuts on several students who had nicked their fingers, another had a cold cloth to their face where they had rubbed their eye with onion juice on their fingers and this was all just from making soup?!

Just then the dark haired Slytherin turned back to his own cauldron and realised it was ready to take off the heat, the final ten minutes had passed very quickly with the cleaning up and while observing the rest of the class.

After a taste Harry and Draco agreed on the final seasoning and were just pouring their finished soup into a large flask, as were a few other student pairs, all containing at least one Muggle born or raised student, when there was a commotion from the other side of the room.

"Oh bloody hell!" Ronald Weasley exclaimed just as thick black smoke started to billow from his cauldron.

Snape quickly cast a containment bubble over the smoking pot and banished the burned mess before turning on the hapless redhead and his partner for the task, a shamefaced Gryffindor called Lavender Brown. She had left Ron to look after the project while she was busy gossiping with a girl on the next table, only paying any attention whenever Professor Snape was doing rounds in between dealing with mishaps and minor injuries.

The Professor had already reprimanded both of them for their inattention on several occasions and taken points from Lavender and her neighbour for their chatter.

Although Ron had been apparently working quite hard, between badgering his housemate for help, he had forgotten one important step and not lowered the heat after browning the meat - allowing the cauldron to boil dry and the vegetables burn.

The young Gryffindor was almost in tears, he had been desperate to earn back those points and now it was ruined.

"You idiot boy! And you girl! What have I told you about your inattention? Clear your work stations, everyone! and you two... five points from Gryffindor... each!" Snape barked out as he cleared the air with quite strokes of his wand and assisted a couple of choking Gryffindors.

After order had been restored and everyone had put their soup - completed or not - into the flasks provided and the room tidied of any debris and equipment, the dour Professor brought everyone's attention to a new list on the board.

It listed every injury and incident that had occurred during the lesson and the treatment it had required, it also listed the numbers of completed containers of soup, incomplete and complete failures.

"As you can see, you are nowhere near ready to be let loose on actual potions" Snape sneered as he looked around the room. "The number of minor injuries with benign ingredients is staggering, a single trace of human blood in most potions will have disastrous effects - making them anything from explosive to toxic to another potion entirely! All this from a simple cut on a finger that is not immediately healed and the contaminated ingredients not burned and a knife not sterilised!

And let's not forget about rubbing onion juice into one's eyes! Just how imbecilic can a person be?! If that had been Moonstone Dust or the juice from a Tangled Night Root then you would be dead - a myriad of other ingredients could leave you blind, mad, a drooling idiot or more.

Potions are the gateway to a world of wonder, marvels and miracles. They can cure almost any ailment, prolong life, create life, prevent or end life. They can change things beyond your wildest imagination!

However they must be respected and the ingredients handled with the greatest care, in the Muggle world the creation of any medication or concoction with even a tenth of these effects is so restricted that less than three percent of the world population has any connection!

If I cannot trust you then I do not care about your grades, despite this being a required part of your curriculum you will be restricted to theoretical learning only until I can trust that you will treat this art with the respect it deserves.

Now, anyone without any form of injury or failed result may take an additional five points for their House and I want a thousand words or two feet of parchment - whichever is longer - on the differences between mincing, dicing, grinding, crushing and slicing and how they can affect the properties of ginger, garlic, dandelion root and willow leaves.

This is to be handed in at the beginning of next week, you can ask any questions next lesson since we have another session before your homework is due, all the information is in your text book.

I will be accepting no excuses. Dismissed! Not you Potter, stay behind."

~#~

Once the other students had cleared the room, heading to dormitories to drop off their school supplies and prepare for dinner, Harry approached his Head of House.

"Harry, congratulations on your Minestrone, it looks and smells delicious." Snape congratulated him somewhat stiffly as he indicated the boy should sit. "Now, I got your message saying you wanted to talk. As I said before you came here, I am always going to be available for you, maybe not immediately depending on my duties but as soon as I can. If you ever need me you may come to my quarters, I will show you them in a moment and add you to the wards - you can visit Kari too, she's made herself very much at home."

"Thank you Sir" Harry whispered, feeling awkward and shy around his guardian again. Seeing the man so harsh with the other children had set him on edge and he was feeling wary and unsure.

"Harry... Child... I know you find it hard to believe me but I would like you to try. I will never deliberately hurt or scare you. As we talked about at Tom's - there are forces beyond my control making me act... harsher... than I would like, especially here and I must fight them every step of the way. I must also keep up a pretence in front of the other members of staff of at least indifference around you, they cannot discover our relationship at this juncture or they would do their best to remove you from my House and my care. Do you understand?" Snape spoke softly, slowly moving to sit next to his Ward.

To his utter shock, Harry leant briefly against him, taking strength from his Guardian before jumping back nervously and flushing, eyes down.

Sighing at the renewed look of fear on the boy's face, Severus lead Harry to his quarters and showed him the hidden entrance, teaching him the password and adding the boy to his wards.

Harry was ecstatic to see his kitten again and was soon happily playing with her, pulling a string with some tattered Jabberknoll feathers attached for her to chase. He kept the movements slow and on the ground so she count chase and pounce easily despite her missing leg and Severus was relieved to hear a few carefree giggles escape the boy.

A quick word had a House Elf take Harry's school things back to the dorm and a selection of the evening meal brought down to the boy. Severus had to show his face at the staff table or arouse suspicion but once rumour circulated that he had made Harry stay behind after class then most would simply assume the boy had been too upset to eat - it had often been the case before with other students.

As he settled into his seat at the head table the Potions Master was suddenly aware of piercing blue eyes staring at him, Dumbledore's eyes hard as he glared briefly at his youngest professor, genial mask temporarily forgotten as he tried to identify the changes in the younger man.

To be continued...