Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Distractions

Another week passed. Harry was able to walk around for about five minutes before he needed to sit down, but Severus assured him that he would be back to full strength soon. Severus’s wounds were finally healing, and were beginning to scab over. He knew they were going to scar, but figured that was better than the alternative.

They were sitting and talking after breakfast when Belladonna finally returned, a letter clenched in her beak. She flew to her master, alighting gracefully on his shoulder as she dropped the letter in his lap. Reaching up a hand to scratch her feathers, Severus murmured his thanks. A quick wave of his hand sent the letter to Harry, and he eagerly tore it open, reading his reply from Andromedea.

“She says that since Teddy is her only living relative, besides the Malfoys, she wants to raise Teddy,” Harry said, reading quickly. “She says that we’re both welcome to visit, and she thinks that future Dark Lord stuff is rubbish.”

“I would say that she got the brains in that family,” Severus said, smirking. He was happy that Andromedea wasn’t behaving as idiotically as a majority of the wizarding world. At least he has someone on his side, besides me that is. When did I become that boy’s bloody keeper?

“Guess so, considering how Narcissa and Bellatrix turned out,” Harry laughed. He was happy, unbelievably happy, that he would be able to have a good bond with his godson, regardless of the fact that he was leaving the wizarding world. Well, it’s not like its forever. We’ll probably have to go to Diagon Alley sometimes for stuff, especially if Severus does take a brewing job on the side; under an alias, of course.

“I suspect we know have a new first stop when we are finally able to leave this accursed infirmary?” Severus asked.

“Yeah,” Harry said, re-reading the letter. “Is that ok? I don’t know what’ll be going on after, so if I can see him now…”

“Then you won’t feel guilty if you cannot visit every day,” Severus finished, correctly guessing where Harry’s thoughts were headed.

“Yeah. Well, I wouldn’t visit every day anyway, more like every couple days. I don’t want to crowd them,” Harry said, summoning more parchment to write a reply. “Would Bella be able to deliver another letter?”

Severus looked at the raven, which was currently perched on the edge of his tray eating the remains of his toast. “I believe she will, if you let her finish her breakfast.”

Harry laughed. “It’s a good thing you were done with that toast.”

Severus smirked as he finished his tea. “Quite. You have no idea how obsessed she is with cinnamon toast.”

Harry wrote his letter while Severus summoned another book from his private library. Both were slowly going mad in their confinement, but they really had no other choice.

“I’d almost rather give Rita Skeeter an interview than stay in bed for another minute,” Harry sighed after Belladonna left with his letter. “At least that would give me something to do.”

“Indeed,” Severus said dryly, “Incinerating howlers is so interesting. I believe the Headmistress is having the elves destroy all of those, but if you would like to take care of them yourself…”

Harry laughed slightly, shaking his head. “I was actually thinking of the fact that I could remind her of the fact I can report her to the Ministry for being an unregistered Animangus and watch her reaction.”

“Skeeter is an Animangus? That explains how she was able to acquire some of her information,” Severus sad thoughtfully. “I wonder who taught her.”

“Do you have to be taught to learn to be an Animangus?” Harry asked curiously. He had thought about trying to become an Animangus since third year, when he’d learned about his dad and the Marauders, but he’d never had the time.

“In most cases yes,” Severus replied, looking up from his book. “I was able to teach myself from books, but most have a mentor to supervise their transformations and to help them.”

“You’re an Animangus? What do you turn into? When did you learn? Can you teach me, d’you think?”

Severus laughed. “I have previously stated that I can only answer one question at a time.” Harry blushed, causing Severus to smirk. “Yes, I am an Animangus. I will reveal my animal form once we are out of here. I learned soon after the Shrieking Shack incident in my sixth year. I was annoyed that your father and Black and that coward Pettigrew were able to master a spell that I hadn’t. Granted, I never had the time to attempt the spell as I was always brewing, but still.”

“How long did it take you?”

“One year. A majority of that time was spent researching, finding every book I could about Animangus transformations. It only took three attempts for me to transform, after I had a basic idea of what my animal form would be.”

“Three?” Harry asked, amazed. From what Sirius had said, mastering Animangus transformation was one of the most difficult magics imaginable, and Severus was able to do it after only three attempts?

“Yes, the first two times I only achieved partial transformation,” Severus admitted sheepishly. “I had a rather bad migraine; my eyes changed but the rest of me stayed human. Thank Merlin for headache relief potions.”

“Will you teach me?”

“You will not be able to attempt the transformation until you are released. You are still physically and magically exhausted.” Harry looked about to protest, but stopped when Severus continued. “I would suggest reading these books,” a wave of the hand made them appear on Harry’s bedside table, “to further you knowledge of Animagi. Forewarned is forearmed, and it is best to know what you are getting into. They also have tips on how to discover your Animangus form, so that your first attempt at transforming is easier.”

Harry nodded, conceding that Severus had a point, and picked up the first book in the stack to read. At least now he had something to do to pass the time, and another thing to look forward to when he was finally released.

Chapter End Notes:
Any ideas on Severus's animangus form?