Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Talk About Employment

When Snape awoke the next morning, he felt no more optimistic about the following year at Hogwarts than he had the day before. He heaved a sigh as he slid out of the bed. He needed to talk to Dumbledore today. Bellatrix could not be a teacher at Hogwarts. He frowned at her. Seven thirty, almost eight, and she was still asleep. She would have that habit beaten out of her if she actually did become a professor. Classes started bright and early at Hogwarts. He quickly got ready and left the room, calling a house elf to tell Bellatrix where he had gone. Once he was finished, he entered the floo room. Grabbing a handful of the powder, he threw it into the fireplace.

“Potions Study, Hogwarts!” He called, and stepped quickly inside. His step threw off his balance, and he tumbled head over heels into his office. Glancing around he quickly stood up and brushed himself off. “Glad nobody saw that,” He murmured. He looked around the familiar room. Everything seemed to be in order, aside from the thin layer of dust that had collected over the summer. He did not allow house elves to clean any area of his quarters at any time. It was far too invasive, and with some of the things they could discover… he would be in very deep trouble. With a month left until school started, the room would be a disaster area if he didn’t solve the problem immediately. He pulled out his wand and all the dust from every one of his rooms collected in a brick at his feet.  He shrunk the cube and tossed it into the trashcan. He then looked around the room again and nodded. Much better. Severus Snape did not tolerate messiness. He turned on his heel and strode out of the room. His soft footsteps echoed in the silent hall. Hogwarts was so much more serene without its students. In a month, the serenity and peace would be shattered by the sounds of annoying first years and other pupils with their irritating incessant chatter. He was so absorbed in his thoughts he didn’t notice Minerva coming up behind him.

            “Why, Severus!” She exclaimed. “Is that you? How good to see you back for another year. Flitwick was…” She trailed off. “Never mind.” Snape turned to her, eyebrow raised archly.

            “No no, Minerva. Do tell. How I love the latest gossip,” He remarked sarcastically, resisting the urge to roll his eyes.

            “Well…” McGonagall began slowly, “It’s just that there’s a bet between the staff… on whether or not you’ll come back the following year. Dumbledore wins every year because he bets you come back.” Snape peered at her.

            “And yet none of you have learned.” He turned on his heel, ending the conversation on his terms. He preferred it that way. He strode up to Dumbledore’s office, sneering at the gargoyle when it tried to stop him from entering the study.

            “Ah, Severus! How good to see you. Take a seat.” Waving his hand, the chair behind Severus rushed forwards, knocking Snape backwards into it. Snape glared at Dumbledore.

            “Would you quit doing that?” He asked irritably. Dumbledore chuckled.

            “Probably not. Now what can I do for you?”

            “I have some… concerns… about your latest staff hiring.” Dumbledore shook his head ruefully.

            “Honestly Severus, where on earth do you get your information? I haven’t told anyone about the new teachers yet.”

            “Teachers? Plural? No matter. One of the people you hired is Bellatrix. Short haired woman, a blonde. She was positively glowing at the prospect of a swing at the precious boy-who-lived.” Dumbledore shook his head.

            “There is no way this woman could be her. Think about it, Severus. The woman I hired was a straight haired blonde. Bellatrix has curly dark hair, remember?” Snape rolled his eyes.

            “Do the words polyjuice potions mean nothing to you?” Dumbledore shook his head.

            “No no Severus. I would have noticed. Fawkes would have noticed.” Snape looked around.

            “Where is the bird?” He asked, looking around.

            “Hmm? Oh he’s right over there.” Dumbledore gestured vaguely to somewhere on his left side. Fawkes was not over there. In fact, Fawkes was nowhere to be seen.

            “Are you… feeling ok, sir?” Snape asked, looking at the old man curiously. Dumbledore pulled his ears and stuck out his tongue.

            “Stop looking at me like that. Of course I am. I’m as spry as I was when I was thirty!” He pumped a fist in the air, then winced. “Oh my back…” He winked at Snape. “Just kidding. But seriously though Severus, I refuse to believe that I would have hired anyone from the Death Eaters, much less the eccentric Bellatrix Snape.” The potions master winced.

            “Please refrain from referring to her like that.” Dumbledore looked at him.

            “What? That is her new name, thanks to you.” Snape glared at him.

            “Do not refer to her as Bellatrix Snape. She is Bellatrix Black, and will be until she legally marries.”

            “Are you telling me your marriage isn’t legal?”

            “That may be what I am implying.”

            “If she ever finds out…”

            “I took measures to assure she would not figure it out until I wish it.”

            “Very good.” Snape stood.

            “Headmaster I swear to you that the woman you have hired is Bellatrix Black. She must be fired from the staff at all costs.” Dumbledore shook his head, a foggy look in his eyes.

            “Miss Griffin is perfectly qualified for the job of defense against the dark arts teacher. I will not fire her to hire you just because you want the job.” Snape studied the curious fog in the headmaster’s eyes.

            “Mhm…” He murmured. How unfortunate. Someone (not hard to guess who) had placed Dumbledore under a spell inhibiting his reasoning, at least as far as where ‘Miss Griffin’ was concerned. Snape snorted. Miss Griffin, honestly? Could she have picked a more ridiculous name? He sighed. “So you refuse to reconsider this foolish decision?” Snape asked.

            “Yes, Severus. I am convinced that this will be good for Hogwarts.”

            “Fine. If you will excuse me, my wife will be up soon.” Snape turned on his heel and left the office. Dumbledore chuckled and pulled a file out of the piles of papers on his desk. A picture of a woman with shocking green eyes and long dark hair stared back from the photo.

            “Oh Severus. You’re in for one big surprise.”
To be continued...