Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Does anyone know how to put a picture with the stories on here? I have a picture of Viridian and Shadow, but I don't know how to add it.
Father & Cub

*Change us back?* Viridian asked, confused. *Change us back into what?*

*What did you look like when you were in the small space?* Shadow asked.

*Um…I was a two legged…a person. I was small, and the man was big and scary,* Viridian mewed, moving even closer to Shadow and ignoring the annoying two leggeds, the people, below them. The man was just a memory, but he was scary, and Viridian wanted Shadow’s comfort.

*What did he do to you cub?* Shadow asked, wondering just how wrong his observations as Severus had been. Severus thought Harry was spoiled, arrogant, reckless and impulsive. Shadow knew Viridian was reckless and impulsive sometimes, but he was also kind and loving.

*He hit me, then he put me in the small place and wouldn’t let me leave,* Viridian said, snuggling against Shadow’s chest. He wanted the memory of the big man to go away, but it wouldn’t. *Please stop asking Shadow, it hurts.*

Shadow stopped, even though Severus longed to know about the abuse Harry suffered. I promise cub, when we are back to normal, you will not go back to those muggles. I won’t allow it.

“Severus, Harry, come down here and lets discuss things rationally,” the man’s voice called up.

Dumbledore, Shadow remembered, glaring down at the man. Do you honestly expect us to be able to converse with you old man? Minerva would have a better chance. He had no idea why all of his memories had returned while Harry still had large gaps, but he suspected it was because of his natural ability to order his mind. Occlumency has saved me once again.

*Viridian, we need to get away from here, quickly.*

*What’s the plan Shadow?* Viridian asked, green eyes gleaming.

*You are going to run back to the cave, keeping to the trees as much as possible, while I distract them,* Shadow replied, regarding his former employers critically. Neither had used magic on them yet, and by his reckoning it had been two weeks since their accidental escape. They must be afraid magic will react badly with the potion, as it was brewed incorrectly. Viridian’s whining broke Shadow out of his thoughts.

*But Shadow, I wanna help.*

*No cub,* Shadow said firmly, fixing Viridian with a glare. *It is my duty to protect you, and it is your duty to obey me. I want you safely away in case the humans attack.*

*But they could hurt you,* Viridian protested.

The Gryffindor is back, Shadow thought, smirking. Even without his memories, he is still the noble Gryffindor. He sighed, then said, *For them to hurt me, they’d have to catch me, and I don’t think that’s possible cub. Start back for the cave, and don’t turn back no matter what.* He sent the still protesting cub off with a light cuff, watching as Viridian carefully stalked through the trees. In this part of the forest, the trees grew closely together, branches intertwining to make an excellent pathway.

Now, it’s time to mislead my meddlesome colleagues, Shadow thought, descending the tree gracefully. He noticed Albus and Minerva watching him warily. Their wands were in their hands, but they looked hesitant to use them. It seems my theory was correct. Let’s see if Minerva can understand me, Shadow thought, before snarling. *You’ll never take my cub humans.*

Minerva’s eyes widened. “We don’t want to take your…cub, Severus. We want to help you, back at the castle.”

Ah, so she can understand me, Shadow thought, pleased. Then he growled, *I won’t let you take me or my cub anywhere.*

He turned and ran in the opposite direction Harry had, nearly smiling as he heard the others following. He ran slowly enough that the two pursuing him could keep him in sight, but fast enough that it seemed like he was trying to outrun them. His goal was to lead them back towards Hogwarts before losing them, allowing him to go back to Viridian. And they can’t use Point Me charms to find us, because we are not Severus and Harry, but Viridian and Shadow. Shadow smirked.

As soon as the edge of the forest was in sight, Shadow began to run faster. He skirted the edge, keeping to the shadows as he began to run back the way he had come. Behind him, Minerva and Albus were still running in the direction of the castle. They would eventually realize that he had tricked them, but for now it was time for him to find his cub and see what mischief Viridian had wrought this time.

Shadow found Viridian pacing in the small clearing outside of their cave. He could hear the annoyed muttering of his cub, and smirked as he soundlessly approached.

*Stupid Shadow! I coulda helped him, if he’d let me. I’m not some stupid fluffbrain; I know how to create a distraction.*

*Quite,* Shadow purred in amusement, watching as Viridian nearly fell over as he spun around to face his protector. *You have proven quite the distraction to me since I took you in.*

Viridian cringed. He knew Shadow was teasing him, but he kept hearing the voice of the man in his memory. “Stupid, worthless, good-for-nothing freak!”

Shadow noticed the difference in his cub and wondered what had caused it. *Cub? Are you alright? I did not mean to be unkind; it was a joke.*

Viridian shook his head sadly. *I was remembering. The man said I’m worthless. Why’d you take me in Shadow? I’m not your cub.*

Shadow sighed, saddened by the desolation present in Viridian’s voice and posture. He moved closer, laying down by his cub and pulling him forward with one paw. He began to groom him, speaking in-between licks.

*You are my cub Viridian. I chose you and you chose me. Your parents are gone, and so is the only one I would ever want for a mate. We are family be mutual choice, stronger than any bonds of blood.*

Viridian looked up, into the black eyes of his protector. Shadow had taken care of him, done everything he thought a father would, but he had always thought it was because Shadow had no other choice; after all, Shadow wouldn’t leave a defenseless cub alone, but what if it was for another reason.

*Do you mean it?*

Shadow paused in his grooming for an instant, faking an exasperated look. * Do I ever say anything I don’t mean cub? No matter what, I will always protect you.*

Viridian smiled as Shadow resumed his bath, a warm glow suffusing him. Shadow loved him, and he was Shadow’s cub. He had a daddy! What would Shadow do if I called him that? There’s only one way to find out. Viridian took a deep breath, before saying, *Daddy?*

Shadow paused for the briefest instant in shock. Did he say what I think he just said? Then Shadow looked down, noticing the tenseness in his cub, and realized that he had. There was only one response. *Yes cub?*

Viridian smiled, before yawning. Baths always made him sleepy. *I love you daddy.*

Shadow looked down at his half-asleep cub with affection and slight amusement.  *I love you too Viridian.* He then continued to groom Viridian, considering the possible ways for them to return to human for as he did so.

Chapter End Notes:
Yeah, the end is kinda fluffy, but there is a reason for that. "Viridian" will need the reassurance when he returns to normal. Also, I know Viridian is acting younger than his age (11), and there is a reason for that which Shadow will discover soon.