Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I want to thank everyone who reviewed and all those who read but did not, since I only received signed reviews this week I feel that perhaps there is something wrong with the website that the anonymous reviews are once again having trouble.

But thank you all anyway for your continuous support. Since there were no questions I will keep this short and sweet, and just so you guys know I really, really agonized where to place Saturn after his sorting and I am sure it will come as a surprise but I thought, with Umbridge making an appearance, let us make it more difficult for Saturn to stay closer to his father. It will create more dilemmas that I seem to crave to write.

I hope I got all the little details right though in the description of the common room. For now, please enjoy.
Chapter 6: A Sorting at Hogwarts

 Platform 9 3/4; Kings Cross Station, London 

In the distance the Hogwarts Express, a large red steam engine let out a billowing whistle and belching smoke surrounding the crowd gathered on the platform around it. A fifteen minute warning until the express was to board. There was a notable change in urgency when students saying goodbye to their families huddled in small groups for the last of their quiet endearing whispers. Completely unconcerned with the world outside their little circle of friends and family. Thus no one had yet to notice the new student waiting to board the train for his fifth year; whose infinite dark eyes were sweeping across hundreds of heads to search intently for an unknown threat to him or his family, especially in concern to those who would know of his true existence.

 

"Calm yourself child, no one is going to recognize you." Severus Snape soothed, a hand resting on Saturn's shoulder to keep his son's fidgeting steady. The two of them were barely even aware of a few curious stares resting upon the back of the two unlikely visitors to Kings Cross station, wondering at the child's appearance and likeness to a Malfoy and the surly Potions Master's presence close to him. In the distant corners of the platform several calls of parents to control their children could be heard, whispers with dark remarks and unfounded speculation lashing out at the two unsuspecting figures, completely oblivious to their surroundings. 

 

For the past week Severus had become more and more concerned when Saturn showed signs of retreating into himself in a bid to avoid the passing of reality around him. He was especially concerned with the long bouts Saturn spent retreated into a whimsical mind frame connected to the passing fancy of nature. His nose buried incessantly in endless reams of books and continuous time spent humming melodies beneath his breath. It was still disconcerting to the Professor despite his lover's reassurances that their son was but reacquainting himself with his true nature and settling into the new changes of his life, they could not have expected a short and smooth transition into a life so different from the one he had been living before.

 

Despite the small reprieve the words of wisdom had offered him, Severus Snape had been delighted to learn that Saturn had inherited his more studious and serious nature, preferring his books to the Quidditch Pitch Draco loved to waste his time on. However, the increase of intensity in the young elf's despondency, paranoia and anxiety was worrying in their own right. Presenting him with a problem Severus was not entirely sure how to solve or even approach by the guarded wall that seemed to have been constructed around Saturn's pained heart. He knew there was pain in those eyes when Saturn thought no one was looking and it hurt him all the same when he saw that distinguishable flicker in dark eyes. 

 

It seemed that the more time had moved forwards to the 1st of September, the more Saturn became an anxious ball of energy that just would not be consoled. Stressing over the smallest of details in his new back story, questioning his made up history should the students accost him with difficult question, looking for a solution to each and every discrepancy in his past and in turn driving both Severus and Draco nearly insane with the details of his 'past' life and how he had gone to Durmstrang before deciding to return to Hogwarts to be closer to his family. It was a simple enough story, being vague enough to satisfy curiosity and at the same time not giving away too much.

 

It was with a sigh that Severus pulled himself back to reality, questioning the sudden change that seemed to overcome his son as his eyes were glazed with a faraway look outlined in intense control and hidden concern highlighted by his bottom lip tugged between his teeth. As the students gathered in great mass around the Hogwarts Express, Saturn seemed to shrink in upon himself more and more. Almost afraid of the large crowd pressing in from all sides and despite Draco's lessons and cautions the week before in maintaining a perfect image at school, Saturn seemed to slowly but surely lose control of his emotions.

 

It would not bode well should everything fall apart at the seams...

 

"Will I really be alright Dad?" Saturn inquired quietly, his question heavy with the implication of his own unconfident belief in failure. The question was so softly spoken that the Hogwarts Professor nearly missed it completely and almost made him cave with sympathy, breaking his promise to keep his distance whilst saying goodbye. Instead, to curb his urge to tug his son into a warm embrace, he brushed a stray strand of golden hair from Saturn's eye and nudged that delicate chin upwards. He could clearly see an ocean of turmoil reeling deep within infinite dark eyes. After crumbling in his concern, Severus pressed a brief kiss upon a smooth brow. That hateful scar that he had come to associate with Potter, hidden now behind an ingenious skin coloured potion used to conceal visible scars. After checking for the twentieth time to make sure all the distinguishing marks were hidden, Severus felt more assured when there were none. 

 

Before him stood a child, a new student starting Hogwarts in his fifth year and he was just there to check that his transition to the train was smooth and not filled with bombarding questions to his presence and heritage for there was no doubt that he was a Malfoy. He may have been a curiosity but not one to be paid much attention to after the Prophet's report the day before that Dumbledore was hiding the fact that Potter was dead and the Savoir of the Wizarding World no longer existed. 

 

"Nothing will happen on the train." Severus reassured. "Perhaps just a few curious stares will follow you but other than that many people will be too afraid to ask questions. There is no doubt you are a Malfoy because of your resemblance to Draco and his friends also already know all they need to know of his youngest brother's existence. Nothing needs to be added." The look of relief his words gifted him with was significant to his son's deep seated concern. It was not something that Severus would easily forget, or stop berating himself for. His son was clearly filled with such anxiety that Severus could not even begin to fathom how to sooth his concerns.

 

His son's look of absolute fear was something else. Leaving the Potions Professor wondering just how Saturn, who he was so sure he had hated for four years, had found so much trust and love within him and Lucius within so short a period of time. It was almost inconceivable that such trust would be given so willingly and yet here they were. Standing close together as a family, Lucius patiently engaging Draco in a stern lecture in how to protect his brother, Narcissa talking patiently to some of the other Pureblood Ladies and then there was he and Saturn. Left alone a little to the side, given a moment of privacy to say their momentary goodbyes before meeting once again at Hogwarts in a few hours' time. 

 

"All I can say is do not talk unless spoken too, even though I know you miss your friends, please bear in mind that they do not know the entire truth of your situation and they think that Harry Potter is dead as the newspapers have claimed despite the Headmaster's insistence that he is not. It will not do for a Malfoy to show up in their compartment to claim he is their lost friend."

 

"Draco will be in the Prefects carriage for the first part of the trip, leaving you to your own devices for a while. Pick a carriage where you will not be disturbed and keep your head down, have a good rest and leave the Headmaster's meddling to me. I will meet you at Hogsmeade station where Professor McGonagall will then lead you to the Castle to sort you with the first years. Are there any more questions you may have?" Severus hated himself for the way he was listing things so unemotionally when the look in Saturn's eyes were seeking more. His last question though he asked gently, wishing not spook the delicate thread of control Saturn seemed to have gained that morning when his trunk was neatly, almost obsessively so, packed and waiting at the bottom of his bed.

 

Ready to face his nightmare of being in close proximity to the one who had ruined his life with only a thin veil protecting his true identity.

 

"No, sir. No more questions." Saturn replied, feeling as he were an interisting potion ingredient with the stares suddenly trained on him from many students who seemed to have finally taken notice of him. 

 

"Good. Are you sure you want to take the Express? I can Apparate you back with me-."

 

"No," Saturn shook his head from side to side. It would not do to ruin their plans now despite the generous offer. "I think it would be better if a few students see me onboard the Express and ask questions as to my identity rather than just appearing at school out of thin air. And besides, the Headmaster is at the castle right now and he might corner me when you are not looking and I w-." The young Woodland Elf was suddenly cut off from his words by the last five minute call whistling from the red steam engine. There were only precious few minutes left before the train would be departing from the station.

 

Dark eyes collided with silver over Professor Snape's shoulder and Draco and Saturn both nodded in silent understanding. It was time for them to leave. Severus, left to observe the exchange, marvelled at the silent communication that already existed between the two. It was almost as if they had invented an entirely new silent language this past week that only they could understand with fleeting glances and small motions of movement. As Saturn cast a feather light charm on his trunk, he turned to offer a final goodbye to his father. Completely  surprised when Severus pressed another parting kiss to his forehead and gently guided him towards the entrance. 

 

"Be good." Was all his father murmured before there was a very soft 'pop' and not a soul was left standing where the Hogwarts Professor had been moments before. The sudden disapparition leaving the young elf reeling in his surprise, who in return received the same form of goodbye from his other father. Chuckling at the long hair that tickled his cheek, the few words of encouragement and concern like a breath of strength whispered in his ear. They were words that he took in heart, hopeful that they would calm the incessant fear twisting his stomach.

 

Everything he had been preparing for, for this day felt like a ten tonne weight that he bore solely on his shoulders, and now it clearly showed as Draco had to literally drag him away from the little space their family occupied. With a fleeting smile to his donor father, Saturn whispered a goodbye and promised to write three times a week.

 

"Relax, nothing is going to happen. I will return to you as soon as possible. Find an empty compartment and stay there, I won't be long." Saturn, stuck in a daze gave a quick wave goodbye to the Lord of Malfoy Manor and his Lady before disappearing inside the steam engine. It was lucky that there was an empty compartment at the far end of the train that he could easily occupy all by himself.

 

It was easy to stow away his trunk and pull out one of the many extra books that he had brought with, his anxiety though refused to settle as fears he had been suffering, which he felt he could not share with his newly discovered family, brought a shimmer of frustration in his eyes. He wanted to settled down for the long ride to what he felt was his doom, not knowing what to expect when he finally arrived in Hogwarts.

 

 For who knew just what was awaiting him at Hogwarts? Yes, he had his father and his brother and hopefully his new house to protect him, but there was not a soul who did not know that Professor Dumbledore was a force to be reckoned with in his own domain. And if he believed Harry Potter dead, how would he react to Potter, now Malfoy, returning to his true name? Worrying his bottom lip between his teeth and cursing his anxiety for interfering in his trance like state where he could connect to nature, Saturn soon fell into a fitful doze against the window. His large tome clutched to his chest as a protective barrier to the outside world. He was so far into his deepening slumber that he did not hear his compartment door slide open and two other distinctive presences creeping in to join him in his solitude without his permission just as the train gave a lurch forward.

 


 

"W-who is-."

 

"Shhh," Luna Lovegood hummed softly to her male companion, motioning for him to keep quiet by placing her fingers on her full lips. "The young Elf Prince is sleeping, dreaming troubled dreams of troubled pasts. It best be not to disturb him." Her words carried a definite weight of warning that seemed to still her companion as Neville Longbottom, a fellow fifth year, cast a longing glance at the now closed compartment door with trepidation. Wondering perhaps if it would be such a good idea to join Luna in the only relatively free compartment on the train with the sleeping stranger who could be anyone. The mimbulus mimbletonia he had received for his birthday that year was now resting in his lap, letting out a strange warble of crooning sounds as he scratched its head and tried to distract himself from the astounding beauty of the teen sleeping on the other bench. 

 

The compartment was filled with an uncomfortable and oppressive silence as Neville quietly trailed his eyes over the teen curled up on the opposite bench. Not recalling ever having seen him or her at Hogwarts, for it was not definite if it was a boy or a girl, the strong set jaw and high cheek bones saw that he thought it was a boy, yet if one looked quickly at the long length of hair, longer than most of the girls in Hogwarts, there were doubts in his theory and confused his thoughts.

 

He startled from his reverie when a soft cry of distress stained the air, the restlessness dreamer sharing their compartment was indeed lodged in some dangerous dream or other, for with his cries long elegant fingertips carefully curled around a heavy tome. Twitching and turning knuckles white as blunt fingernails dug futilely and spasmodically into the leather bound cover of the tome clutched to a rapidly rising and falling chest. The cries that were leaving his lips were the only other sound besides Luna flipping through her Quibbler magazine that tainted the atmosphere of the compartment. In retrospect to knowing a quiet and melancholic journey lay ahead in him, Neville pulled out his summer homework to go over his work looking to improve it, yet his mind kept returning to the loss of one of his friend. Weighing heavily on his shoulders, Neville found it more and more difficult to be absorbed in his work and find a calm to his restlessness. 

 

Scratching a quill absently across a piece of parchment his thoughts one again turned to his obscure and strange birthday present. If he could just test the defensive mechanism of the plant, his grandmother had told him kept the plant safe from harm, with a simple prod from his quill he would find some reprieve-.

 

"I wouldn't do that." A soft tenor  cautioned, abruptly stilling Neville's hand several inches away from prodding the hide-like protective layer of the mimbulus mimbletonia. His sharp quill tip hovering in the air with guilt as brown eyes looked up to see just who had stopped him. Forest green eyes, so extensively depthless with an array of differing emotions, looked pained and distressed as they seemed to peer up at him from behind a curtain of golden hair so soft it glittered and swayed like newly weaved silk in the sunlight streaming in from the window. The strands protectively enveloping its master in what appeared to be a protective curtain against harm. Hiding a deceptively wraith like figure and dulling the astounding beauty that Neville guessed was just beneath the surface from preying and overly curious eyes.

 

"Why?" He found himself asking almost dumbfounded as the other teen stood, his wraith like figure drawing nearer and nearer to their side of the compartment as he was offered as shaky frown that suggested he disapproved. Fingers with nails strangely stained in dirt and not immaculate in their appearance as the rest of the compartment companion, reached out to stroke the top of the plants head-like structure quite lovingly. Setting its leaves and bulbous appearance quivering in its pot with pure delight and crooning enjoyment.

 

Neville found himself watching transfixed as gentle, elegant fingers seemed to pet the plant without so much as causing distress to the thick hide or instilling fear in himself of what it might do to him. The plant in fact seemed to lean to him, batting his fingers expectantly for more when he made to pull away from the touch. A musical chuckle staining the air with delight as the elf like figure seemed to admonish the plant before getting ready walk back to his side of the compartment.

 

"I'm sorry I stopped you but this little guy was afraid of the sharp tip. I heard its cry of distress and it seems to me he is pretty much attached to you. Keep its loyalty and it will serve you as a good and rewarding companion."

 

"W-who are you? How do you kn-."

 

"He is a willow elf." Remarked a dreamy voice in the distance and the unknown stranger seemed to freeze in place, a look of surprise gracing handsome features as infinitely dark eyes drifted to the other side of Neville to the one who had spoken of his heritage. There was a long and tension filled silence in which the elf just stared, full lips forming her spoken name softly before he offered his hand to Neville instead to shake, whether in genuine introduction or as a way to distract himself Neville did not know but he shook the stranger's hand all the same. 

 

"Hello, my name is Saturn." The stranger proclaimed and Neville nodded absently, introducing himself to the elf as Luna had called him. Saturn on the other hand seemed far away and distant, his head still fuzzy from sleep and his ears still ringing from the sudden cry that had awoken him. His eyes had snapped open to the image of one of his good friends sitting across from him, looking withdrawn in his sorrow and wanting to prod his strange new pot plant, which was by now yelling in his ear with distress, desperately not wishing to hurt its master but the imminent danger of the quill tip...

 

Thank goodness he had stopped Neville just in time, for he was sure whatever the little plant was going to do in vengeance to its distress, was not going to be pretty for any of them present in a small and confined space.

 

Yet the moment his ears had registered that whimsical voice calling him an elf, his eyes had lighted upon the girl he had run into a week ago, Luna as he remembered her father calling her; and in his surprise he could barely control his excitement at seeing her again. Her blonde hair was lighted by the sun's rays streaming from outside, glittered as a beautiful halo of silver encircling her head with an ethereal light. The sudden realization of the beauty of the image she made had thrown young Saturn completely off kilter, their eyes colliding in a flash of silvery-grey and forest green and Saturn felt his breath stall in his chest as he quickly averted his eyes. Afraid that she would know his secret with her piercing eyes

 

"Luna." He whispered softly, his fingers curling around his sleeve as he attempted to calm himself from the sudden rush of elation streaking through his veins and his heart beating a wild tattoo against his chest; hoping desperately that his aloof nature had not been shattered by the flush of warmth he felt wanting to settle across his cheeks to give away his emotions. He had not known if he would ever see her again but he had still hoped and now being with both her and Neville in the same train compartment felt so right that he found himself relaxing, knowing that he was content to stay where he was.

 

Even though he was still shaking from the strange dream that had flashed before his eyes and the stinging prickle of his carefully hidden scar, Saturn made his way back to his seat before he was bombarded with a series of endless, relevant questions to his presence on the train as they did not recognize him. He carefully recounted the tale that he had been rehearsing since the day of knowing he would be coming back to Hogwarts. Being careful not to give away too much detail or leave out certain facts for he was now a transfer student from Durmstrang; pulled from his studies there because of his father's fears that he was in danger and placed in a wizarding school much safer and closer to home. He recounted being told by Professor Snape that he would still be sorted with the rest of the first years as he did not know what house he would be joining or 'how it was done'. 

 

"We never had a transfer student before," remarked Neville with quite awe. His mood seeming to lift the more Saturn spoke. "What's Durmstrang like?" He asked and Saturn gave a shrug, answering one of the questions as vaguely as possible on the grounds that the location is very secret and the schooling system very strict, it was the exact same answer he had prepared for as well in anticipating that it would be coming up eventually. It was easy to spin a story now that he knew Neville had not recognized him nor ever would should his scar stay carefully hidden. 

 

"We had a few Durmstrang students last year for the Triwizard Tournament." Neville recounted with wonder before his face fell. " One of Hogwarts' Champions, Cedric Diggory died. The other, one of my closest friends went missing over the summer and I do not know if he will ever be coming back. Professor Dumbledore told my Nana that he believes Harry is still alive, just lost somewhere. But it's been more than two weeks now and finding him alive seems more and more slim every day. Did you ever hear of him, Harry Potter of Gryffindor house?" This one was not a statement Saturn was quite ready for and felt his breath stuttering over an answer before turning his eyes away and calming the sudden panic that spread through his veins. Outside the scenery flashed past the window in a rush, the sun was already low on the horizon as the skies darkened, it would soon be time for them to change and disembark.

 

"My brother talked about him a few ti-." Silence reigned the moment the compartment door slid open and a familiar figure stood leaning against the doorway.

 

"I have been looking for you everywhere Saturn. Are you...oh new friends, I see. Be careful who you meddle with." Draco warned with a sneer and a flash of contempt in his silvery eyes before turning to his brother. He however had not been aware that Saturn had seen the glare or the flash of hatred in his  eyes and the deadly cold glare of Saturn, reminiscent of Uncle Severus' deadly gaze, shot through his spine where he knew he had caught out. He solefully took to heart his brother's warning scowl before grudgingly informing them the train was not a long ways away from the Hogsmeade station and that it was time to change into their school uniforms. 

 

"You can come join me and the rest of Slytherin fifth years, we have managed to find an empty compartment. You'll be better off with us than this lot." Once again stalling at the dark glance that lighted dark eyes. The glare had not yet dissipated and Draco felt as if he was really doing everything wrong today, perhaps his concern that Dumbledore might corner his brother was eating away at his common sense, after all Saturn had warned him not to act like this even if he hated Gryffindors.

 

"No. I'd rather stay." Was the deathly quiet whisper of anger. "Now if you'll excuse me I'll just go change." Keeping his flashing anger hidden and stripping his mounting annoyance out of his voice at the easy way in which Draco slid back into his school persona, Saturn did not take well to Neville being insulted when now he knew of the value he had as a best friend.

 

"I apologize, if you'll excuse me for a moment." Saturn offered them a smile before heading to the back of the train to change. He could feel one pair of confused eyes following him, the other pair boring through his back with whimsical fancy as he disappeared down the hall. His fingers curling into fists, he could not believe Draco, after having pleaded with his brother the night before to remember that his friends were once good to him and if he was to return, he would not like to lose some of his support, he still went and made things worse. It was not a good start to his first day returned to Hogwarts. It was going to be a long day and it had only just started...

 


Hogsmeade Station, Scottish Highlands 

When the train came to a halting stop and the students were finally disembarking into the cool summer night air, Saturn could hear the familiar baritones of Hagrid bellowing loudly as he called all the first years to him. So when long fingers, biting cold through his robes, curled around his upper arm he jumped in fright and started to pull away. His eyes looked up to collide with an identical pair the same colour as his, he was offered a frown to his reaction by his father. Several older students' eyes curiously following their progress as Professor Severus Snape led him away from them, the first years already cowering at the sight of the Potions Master when they passed and the young elf let out a delighted laugh of amusement, especially when a familiar smirk decorated his father's lips.

 

"You really are quite intimidating sometimes Father." Saturn whispered after making sure no one would be able to hear him, not saying anything in return when his father's smirk widened even further. When some of the more hasty students walked passed them towards the carriages he separated himself a bit from the comfort he felt at his father's side, keeping an acceptable distance as his eyes restlessly observed the looming castle in the distance. A heavy sort of dread was starting to build through his body that he could not control. 

 

"Professor?" Saturn called out uncertainly, having just remembered been told that he was to not call his father 'Dad' when other students or staff could overhear. For extra protection he was strictly only a Malfoy, the 'Snape' part of his surname dropped to offer him a bit more freedom without letting the staff know that the surly Potion's Master had a son. One they and many students would like revenge from. "Where are you-." He suddenly stilled, his footsteps abruptly pulling back the Potions Professor in surprise as his eyes swept across the expanse of the carriage standing mere metres from him. He had never seen them before but now harnessed to the carriage was a strange creature, pitch black and horse like in its appearance but it also shimmered with demon like characteristics, carrying bony bat like wings on its back and red red eyes that followed his every movement. From their nostrils they snorted white mist, as if they were cold. Saturn was alarmed, realizing for the first time that there was actually a creature pulling the carriages. He had been under the impression, since his second year, they moved all by themselves.

 

"W-what-." He stared in surprise...

 

"You are not mad, I can see them too." A soft voice declared and Saturn looked up into silvery-grey eyes already settling into one of the carriages with Neville, offering him a nod and an encouraging smile when father murmured an impatient 'come on'  and started guiding him forward and away from the carriages, just far enough from prying eyes that were once again sweeping across his form. In that moment he felt a distinct feeling as though he was suddenly made of spun glass under all the stares, sucking in a sharp breath of pain before it felt as if the pressure building in his body was eating away at his soul as he was squeezed and pulled through the pain of a side-along apparition.  A second later, the young elf suddenly found himself at Hogwarts' gates as his father briefly brushed a gentle finger across his cheek to calm the inherent panic creeping across his body. His breaths, coming out in short, sharp bursts, rasped and rattling painfully against his lungs.

 

"Sorry, I have forgotten to warn you. Professor McGonagall asked me to bring you to her; the first years will be here in a few minutes." Saturn gave a shaky nod. "How was the train ride?" Saturn briefly recounted his dull journey as they climbed the steps of the castle in perfect step before a hauntingly familiar voice cleared her throat. Both of them looking up simultaneously to see a lopsided smile stretching usually severely stern lips. It was not a face Saturn knew would offer him so much comfort until he saw her, a small sorrow filled smile tugging his lips upwards as he redirected his eyes to the floor.

 

"This is a first Professor Snape, I have never known you to take an active interest in any student besides your Snakes. However if you would hand over Mr Malfoy to me for a few minutes, he will soon be sorted and the Welcoming Feast can finally begin. " There was a moment of uncomfortable silence where Saturn stared at the grass beneath his feet in hopes of dispelling the awkwardness that had settled across the trio standing inconspicuously at the front of the castle. A distinctive dread weighing down his body and tugging at his heart. For the first time truly concerned of the house he may end up in. What if his fathers did not approve?

 

"You know where to find me," whispered Severus softly enough so that the other Professor did not overhear hear him. "Now off you go, I'm sure everything will be fine." At his kind words the Transfiguration Professor have a small frown before nodding, ushering her new charge up the steps as the Potions Professor broke away in the direction of the Great Hall. Saturn was surprised when they entered the small alcove to the side of the Great Hall where he had last entered the same date five years past. It was cold there and Saturn felt himself tugging his robes tighter around his body, the corner he had chosen to situate himself in was away from all the students as he stared patiently at the walls in hopes of passing the time. 

 

"Welcome to Hogwarts," She began in her crisp Scottish brogue when the new first years entered the alcove, her stern voice startling them from their previous occupation of gaping at Saturn in curiosity. Although she failed to scare some of the more daring girls, transfixed with the young elf's appearance. Their stubby little fingers reaching forward, wanting desperately to grab a hold or even pull at the strands of immaculate golden locks. Despite not enjoying the attention, Saturn did not want to cause a scene by telling them off so he impatiently folded his arms across his chest and tried instead to deter them from coming any closer by a glare so close to the one his father was used to giving.

 

"Girls, girls! Please! Pay attention and leave Mr Malfoy be. What I am about to say is very important." She admonished before quickly explaining the functions of the school, the teachers and the different houses. Having already known all the information Saturn offered his once teacher a small smile of appreciation before allowing his mind to drift off into a different direction whilst keeping an interested look plastered across his features. His sensitive ears were already picking up the lively conversation spreading through the Great Hall, subdued by melancholy and fear of Potter's disappearance and the possibility that he had not been laying as the Ministry had been insisting he had. He could feel it, the dread settling across the students, perhaps even speculating Voldemort had taken him and killed him. Leaving the body somewhere where no one could find it.

 

"Attention! Attention students! The sorting ceremony will now begin and we have a special sorting tonight, a fifth year student from Durmstrang will be joining us at Hogwarts this year and I want all the upper years to make him welcome, especially his house mates." Startling from his thoughts by the sudden voice ringing in his ear, Saturn turned towards the doorway which the Professor had left open. He bit his bottom lip in nervousness and tried to force his sudden creeping of fear into the back of his mind.

 

He could already feel the endless stares waiting to see him.

 

"Our first sorting will be Mr Augustus Saturnus Malfoy, if you would please step forward." The quiet whispering in hall quieted down the moment his name was called. Numb feet carried him reluctantly towards the sorting hat unknowingly. The hat quietly observing his progress with curiosity as much as the sorting hat could show when it seemed to have finished his song, a song Saturn had not listened to. Saturn's heart was thundering against his chest, his breaths turned to panic the moment he felt that stare.

 

For there was no mistake to the weight of the gaze that had settled atop his crown of golden hair. When he forced himself to look up, his suddenly defiant dark eyes locked daringly with a pair so pale they were the colour of the summer sky. Long lost was their twinkle, probably dispersed under the pressures of the past week, and when the Headmaster saw Saturn, the young elf knew he knew who he was for the grandfatherly mouth did not twitch upwards in a smile of welcome, but rather remained solemn and drawn in its inherent sorrow. Yet in those blue eyes were hidden emotions so well concealed that Saturn could not guess their intensity and he felt suddenly afraid, looking across the Head Table to search for his father's approval who in turn gave only a small nod of a head bowed in encouragement. 

 

His scowling features, so much like his bearer's, now dropping to the floor as a shudder of cold fear wracked through his body. His fingers as numb as his limbs as he slid onto the stool, his awareness of the Hall fading with his internal struggle of emotions. When he finally came back to himself by forcing courage into his soul, the stool now seemed so much smaller than he remembered having clambered up as an eleven year old child. His eyes stared straight ahead at the line of first years awaiting their turn beneath the brim of the old hat.

 

There was a stunned silence echoing through the hall before Saturn jerked when a gentle hum filled his head. He had forgotten how powerful the strange sensation of a talking hat was.

 

~Ahhh, Mr Potter. Well I suppose it is Your Highness Prince Malfoy-Snape now. It has been a rare occurrence for me to sort a student descendant of two prominent fathers stationed in the Wizarding World such as yours. It seems that our Headmaster has been up to his 'greater good' tricks again. His reasons I cannot claim to understand, however be not too quick to hate just yet. Your capacity for forgiveness is already so strong that it makes your magic a pleasure to experience.~

 

'Please just get on with it...I-.'

 

~Humour an Old Hat for a while would you little Saturn? But very well, although I can sense your great desire to be close to your father in Slytherin this year I am afraid there is a new teacher that might hold something like against both of you should the truth somehow come out. I will not place you where the Headmaster can get to you easily as I sense your reluctance to be near him and going by your new found studious nature and a special friend, I can open up a new path for you in-~

 

"RAVENCLAW!" The Slytherins all stared at the youngest Malfoy with something akin to stunned awe and barely concealed confusion whilst Saturn's eyes searched for Draco. His brother could nothing but offer him a disappointed shrug and frown, and when his eyes sought out approval from his father the young elf was relieved when their eyes locked over the table and a hidden message was passed between them. One that he understood well and felt relief spreading through his body that his bearer was not angry with him, even encouraged him to the House table where he promptly seated himself next to the only other Ravenclaw that he knew.

 

"I knew we were of like minds," She said conspiratorially. Her large silvery eyes locking with his like a beacon of hope before he was offered a genuine smile, not one brought on by whimsy and for the young elf it was a truly astounding sight. "I hope we can be friends." She held her hand out and Saturn nodded, a thrill of excitement shooting through his veins at the soft touch of her hand in his as his mind soon afterwards drifted off to other places where he was not sure he could get distracted by her overwhelming presence that seemed to draw him to her like a moth to a flame.

 

He briefly looked up when he heard the Headmaster start his speech only to cringe internally when the newest Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher interrupted him and began introducing herself as a member of the Ministry and her new role at school. Saturn felt sorry for her, for even when the Headmaster graciously stepped aside even Saturn could see she was dancing on the last thread of his sanity. Something, even in his new disposition towards the Headmaster, Saturn would not even dare to do.

 

"Hem-Hem... Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of a vital importance..."

 


 

"Are you suffering from Wrackspurts again Saturn?" Luna abruptly called the elf from without his heady daze. His mind finally coming back to him where he had been so carefully observing the subdued behaviour at the Gryffindor table with a sense of longing. Wishing deep down that he could offer them a small comfort for the 'loss' they believed they had suffered. Especially now when he saw the pained and withdrawn looks of his two previous best friends. However when they looked up, as if sensing his eyes, it was not with curiosity that they looked at him but with undeniable contempt and Saturn nearly choked on his breath at the pain lancing through his heart.

 

They had clearly heard his surname and already it was being held against him. It was painful and in an attempt to school his features again, Saturn turned his eyes away and allowed his hair to fall over his side like a curtain protecting him against pain.

 

"Saturn? Are you alright? You seem quite lost. It seems that the Wrackspurts have been breeding again. The Great Hall is filled with them." Luna's dreamy voice proclaimed and Saturn quietly turned his attention back to her, long silver lashes blinking owlishly as he tried to understand just what it was that she had said. After finding no answer to the strange name he had just heard he turned towards Luna with a frown creasing his brow.

 

"A what?" He asked very softly. His brow shooting to his hairline when she boldly tugged him to his feet with surprising strength. Her attention wavering to him and some students standing nearby that made him distinctly aware of her uncomfortably straightened back as she tried not to listen to the whispers that were now boldly following them. The last of the straggling students' eyes boring into the backs of both of them. Saturn winced with irritation and internal sympathy the clearer he heard the malicious whispers following them:

 

'Loony Lovegood found a friend?'

 

'Do you suppose he is as insane as she? I mean a Malfoy in Ravenclaw? That is practically unheard of. It must be true.'

 

'I hope he finds better friends than her. He seems descent enough.'

 

'She'll soon drive him away. Look at her so in-.' At the last remark from a student in his year, Saturn felt her fingers tighten on his hand almost as if she was afraid what they were saying would one day come true and it was then that Saturn realized that she was very much human beneath his whimsy. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze and expertly shut out the stifling sensation of the stares following them towards the western side of the castle. Silence following them as she hummed to herself, stopping just a few feet away from the start of a spiral staircase, out of sight from all the other students.

 

"Do not mind them, I like your company." Saturn told her, surprised by his own honesty in the statement and the pure want to comfort the wavering glance of uncertainty that she shot him. At his words she smiled almost blindingly, pulling him closer to her side. His dark eyes staring at the top of her wavy hair where he was sure the moonlight was glinting off particles constructed of pure silver.  

 

"I usually don't mind the infestation of Blibbering Humdingers, but sometimes they say hurtful things yes?" Her voice was low with emotion and Saturn pulled himself out of his warm haze and nodded absently, their feet echoing in the small enclosed space of the staircase that thankfully did not move. Blibbering Humdingers and Wrackspurts? What the hell was she talking about? On the other hand what she said was strange but he could not understand why most people would think her insane, it seemed more whimsical, a Lady caught up in a world of her own not bathing in the waters of insanity. The young elf found it endearing in a strange sort of way, adding to her whimsy that she hid behind. For he knew behind this strange appearance and absentminded whimsy was a very beautiful soul filled with mysteries and corresponded with the phases of the moon, just like Selene. 

 

"Wrackspurts, you know, invisible little creatures that make your brain go fuzzy and Blibbering Humdingers that make students laugh at others and whisper ugly things." Saturn nodded, filing away the strange information for later. If he too could construct such an impenetrable mask of insanity that she displayed, he could also avoid a lot unnecessary questions and allow hurtful bullying to roll off his back without affecting him. Saturn found living in such a state of awareness with nature, where he did not care for those directly around him, could also give off the impression that he was not completely all there, something broth Draco and Professor Snape had mentioned many times before the train departed that day, his father Lucius though, had only smiled at him knowingly for young Saturn had seen his father slip into the same trance many times before as well. 

 

It was a brilliant idea, one that could very easily protect him from students by giving false impressions and inapproachability.

 

"Professor Flitwick will be talking to the first years, do you want to listen in? Even though I've been here for four years I always enjoy his welcoming speech." They came to a halt in front of a large door after having just reached the precarious landing from a long spiral staircase, one Saturn now finally knew where to look for it and would not easily forget. The door, bearing no form of a handle nor a keyhole, was decorated with only a large brass eagle knocker. Who, at their appearance, suddenly gave out a screech of welcome and with narrowed eyes, observed the two students who dared to be late.

 

"I never was, am always to be. No one ever saw me, nor ever will. And yet I am the confidence of all. To live and breathe on this terrestrial ball. What am I?" Saturn stared in wonder, the way of entrance was more difficult than the other two houses he had previously visited. He had never expected answering riddles to enter his common room and he could also see the advantage of always coming back with a few friends for the riddles could easily be much too difficult to answer by oneself. Luckily it was Luna that looked towards the door with a faint smile of omnipresent knowing, her silvery-grey eyes lighting up in pleasure as she quickly worked out the answer to what still seemed to puzzle Saturn in turn. 

 

"Tomorrow of infinite time." The bronze knocker spread its wings lazily before going still. The door gave a welcoming creak as it opened to display a spectacularly beautiful array of high end and timeless furniture in dark wood and blue fabric. It was an airy circular common room filled with overstuffed divans, armchairs, settees, many, many desks and beautiful blue and bronze satins hanging from high arched windows. The large display most likely looking out across the entirety of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry grounds.

 

Bookcases, filled to the brim with endless reams of books, scrolls and journals lining the walls, were a close imitation to the Malfoy Library. One Saturn had found increasing fondness for in his last days at the mansion. A soft plush midnight blue carpet depressing pleasantly beneath their feet when they stepped thought the doorway and into the common room. To the left Saturn could just make out a beautifully rendered statue of Rowena Ravenclaw, studiously guarding the entrance to dormitories laying upstairs with a quill in her right hand and staff her left, a crown of marble, fashioned like a beautiful and timeless diadem, resting upon her brow and veiled head. A semi -circular bookshelf shimmering right behind her in the light of the moon. The arched alcove a serene place of study and comfort. The perfect place of sanctuary for the intellectually inclined.  

 

"Ah, Mr Malfoy and Miss Lovegood. I was just about to explain to the first years our rules and extend a warm welcome to our House, would you like to join us?" The small Professor explained upon them intruding, beckoning them both eagerly forward with his squeaky voice and enthusiastic hand movements. "Rowena Ravenclaw, the House of Ravenclaw, sculpted in likeness to her incredible wit and intelligent mind was what kept the founders together long enough to create the school we know today. It is a great honour to be accepted into one of Hogwarts most prestigious houses, the one that is most respected outside of the school even though the other houses may seem stronger and filled with more conviction, it will always be the Ravenclaw's that are subtly keeping everything together and it is our duty to keep the peace."

 

"The common room is our sanctuary, the place we can return to, where we are always welcome when we need to rest or even share a good talk with friends. The dormitories are up the stairs, boys on the right and girls on the left. The boys are not allowed into the girls' dormitory but because of the founders trusting the girls more, they are allowed in the boys' dormitories by invitation only."

 

"Now, no students are allowed out of the dormitories at night after eight for the first years, after nine for the fourth years and up and all the lights will be extinguished in the common room by eleven. Notices will appear on the common room notice board as they become available. No first years will be allowed in the Quidditch team this year but the tryouts for the new team will be held sometime in the week." There was a disappointed murmur around the first years as they wanted to protest against the last rule and Saturn smiled, he had also been quite surprised when he had broken that rule in his first year, although he was not sure he would be playing Quidditch that year. He would have to find a way to ask his father of that.

 

"Oh my," The small Professor squeaked as he glanced at the ticking grandfather clock in the corner. The hands steadfastly pointed at ten to eleven. "It seems that the feast went on longer than normal tonight. You may be excused to your dorms for the night and should you have any further questions my office is on the fifth floor next to the Charms classroom. Tomorrow is a long day at school and we all need our rest." The part-goblin waved off the first year students before hurrying over to Saturn, who found himself wishing his newly discovered friend a good night before he turned towards his new of head of house.

 

"It is strange for a transfer student to be joining us from Durmstrang but then again we live in very strange times. The fifth year dormitories is the fifth door on your right once you reach the top of the stairs. You will be sharing with Mr Terry Boot, Michael Corner and Anthony Goldstein, who I am sure will welcome a new student with open arms. Our house is very protective of our creature inheritances. The house elves have altered your school robes with your new House colours and your trunk was brought up several minutes ago. Should you need any help I am sure that the Prefects will be more than willing to help you or you can just come by my office in the morning." Saturn could not help offering his new Head of House a grateful smile. Having only realized now that his Charms Professor was so much more than just an outstanding teacher, there was a gentle heart and soul filled with genuine caring hiding just beneath the surface. 

 

"I can see that you have already made friends with Luna, such a bright young girl, misunderstood, but very bright. She will be more than willing to help you in any way she can. Now off you go to bed Mr Malfoy, and fear not. You are not the first Malfoy to join the ranks of our House. In fact there were quite a few Malfoy's that outshone most of Hogwarts' long history of well achieved students in this house." The small comfort surprised Saturn and he it showed on his face for the small teacher patted his hand. "I look forward to your presence in my house. 'Wit beyond measure, is a man's greatest treasure.'"

 

"Thank you very much Professor but when will I know about the classes I will be taking?"

 

"You will receive your time table in the morrow before classes start." Saturn nodded, still reeling from the rush of information he found it was much easier to take in and wished his Professor a good night with genuine gratitude. Never again would he underestimate the Charms Professor for this was a side of him Saturn had always suspected he had had but never experienced either. Tracking up the stairs was quite difficult for Saturn finally felt his heart settling down but soon after turned his limbs to lead in tired exhaustion. After all the shocks of the night and the strange feelings bubbling inside of him, Saturn was just happy that a bed was waiting for him and tomorrow was another day. One he would face head on with a new friend at his side and a new calm with which he established himself in his new House, one of silent gratitude and happiness.

 

After a brief introduction and surprisingly few question from his dorm mates, Saturn changed into his pyjamas and sat on the edge of his bed. His fingers absently running a silver brush of fine quality through his long hair, pulling it back into a long braid before tying it off with a blue ribbon. Pulling shut the sky blue curtains around his canopy bed to regain a sense of privacy that he felt he lost when many eyes observed his movements with curiosity and a shimmer of jealousy. Fingers tugged the bronze sheets and blue eiderdown duvet up to his chin before he snuggled into the cool and soft bed. It was scarcely a minute later that his eyes slipped shut, making the young elf hum of soft melody to himself in an attempt to chase away the pain brewing behind his eyelids.

 

That night he drifted off serenely into a pleasant dream highlighted by the sounds of nature as he bathed in a cool lake. His worries chasing themselves away as soft arms enveloped his form from behind and dirty blonde hair fell over his shoulder, sweet nothings of strange creatures whispered in his ears as nothing but the touch of nature and a gentle sprite surrounded his weary soul.

 

Now calming his soul under the gentle touch of his new friend that had such a strong reaction to.

 


Chapter End Notes:
Thank you all for reading and keeping to this story, it really means a lot to me.

See you guys next Thursday, I am off to enjoy a nice cup of tea and plot another multi-chap fic.

Always Yours:
Emerald Raven