Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter has a bit more of the history of Severus and Harry. Hope you enjoy.
Chapter 2

Severus knew that there was something wrong as soon as Harry walked in the room, the boy looked like he had won the lottery and lost the ticket and from the way he was looking at Severus he knew that it had something to do with him.

"Are you ready to go Harry" he asked softly not wanting to startle the young man before him.

"Yes sir" that answers shocked Severus whom Harry had not called Sir since after the second task. Harry when upstairs to to retrieve his trunk and whispered something to his aunt before he left, Severus thought he heard the words 'Have more faith in him' whispered back but he could not be sure.

Severus took Harry by the arm before activating a port key that would take him through his wards and to his home. When they landed in the living room he turned his eyes to Harry questioningly, the young man did not say anything he simply handed the man the letter and the journal before sitting down on the sofa and hugging his knees to his chest. While Severus read the letter and the diary which Harry thought would lead to the man wanting nothing more to do with him, he thought back to how their friendship had started.

*Flash Back*

Harry had been awake for over forty eight hours due to the hassle he was receiving from his dorm mates, whenever he tried to sleep someone would create a loud bang or send a stinging hex at him this meant that he was getting very little sleep, but for the past two nights, they had been getting everyone in the common room to make life hell for him, something about him becoming the next Dark lord –he had a feeling that Ron was the one behind that rumour- this plus the nightmares that he kept having meant that he had gotten no sleep at all. This was why he was wandering the halls of Hogwarts trying to find some peace. He had gotten as far as a portrait or a none descript man brewing a potion when he slid down the wall know that his legs would carry him no further. It felt like hours but was in fact only minutes later that the portrait swung open and out came none other than his most hated teacher Professor Severus Snape. He expected to be flayed alive because he was out after hours and he was in the dungeon. What he had not expected was to be picked up and carried into the man's quarters; he was laid down on the sofa and had a blanket put around him before turning out the lights and walking out of the room.

Harry was shaken awake at half past seven, by Snape who said nothing except that Harry was to come back at eight that night for detention. When Harry went back that night he explained about the way Ron and the others had treated him, they had spent the night talking about everything and nothing and realised that they had more in common. Soon Severus became someone he could talk to about anything and filled the space of mentor that Sirius was unable to.

*End of flashback*

Harry smiled as he remembered Ron's face when he had not been the one who Harry had to pull out of the lake. Albus thought that it was Brilliant that the one person who meant the most to Harry was Severus. Harry chuckled quietly when he remembered what Severus said to him when he brought him and Fleur's little sister. 'You stupid heroic brat, did you really think that the headmaster would let anyone drowned.' He then proceeded to hug the boy and tell him if he ever did anything like that again he would chop him up and use him in a potion.

Unfortunately no one saw the rat that had been next to the lake leave and even if they had the only thing they would have found strange about it was that it was missing a toe. Harry thanked his lucky stars that they had believed the Malfoy's because Lucius told Severus that if he went back then he would be killed because Peter had seen him with Harry by the lake. Severus did not go back however he was tortured through the mark which Albus and Severus were still trying to get around.

Harry looked up when he heard the rustle of clothes next to him, kneeling down before him was Severus who although he looked upset Harry could tell that the upset and anger was not directed towards him.

"Harry is this letter the reason why you look like your world has ended" Severus asked.

"Yes sir" Harry answered trying not to squirm not knowing how Severus was going to treat him, he just hoped that he would not go from being the son of James Potter to the son of Lily Potter which would no doubt be ten times worse.

"Harry are you worried that I blame you for what Lily did?" Severus queried

"Yes sir, are you going to treat me as Lily Potter's son?" Harry questioned quietly.

"No Harry I cannot blame you for her actions, just as I should never have blamed you for your father's actions. The offer I made at the end of last year stands so I hope you had time to decide." Severus said hoping to convey his sincerity.

"What about the boy my half-brother?"

"If you want to find your Brother than I will help you if not then I will leave it until you feel you are ready to meet him because even though he is my son by blood you are my son by choice" Severus told the fretting boy before him.

"I do want to become your son but I really want to find my brother even if he does not want anything to do with me at all." Severus was saddened at the thought that Harry's brother may not want anything to with him but he was overjoyed that the child wish to be adopted by him.

"We will do the adoption tomorrow but for today you should relax, Draco is here with Lucius and he has been dying to challenge you to a race. I will call Remus to witness the adoption along with Lucius and the Twins" Severus said and smiled lightly when Harry grabbed his broom and dashed out of the door to find the person who had become one of his friends through letter's over the summer.

Severus sat down and penned a note to Remus hoping that Black would not see it because they had kept the idea of the adoption a secret from him, Merlin only knows what would happen if he found out. The only thing he could be sure of was that he would try and muck things up by more than likely giving Harry an ultimatum. After he had sent the letter to Remus he picked up the journal once again, he was storming not only that Lily had lied to him but the fact that she dared to think that he would have forced her into marriage. If she had told him then he would have had the baby adopted by his uncle Carter and his wife Elizabeth who had been unable to have children, that way he would have been able to see his son but he would not have had the responsibility of raising a child when he was sixteen. He could not decide which hurt worse the fact that she had gotten rid of his son or the fact that she had never truly loved him and the only reason she went out with him was because Potter still had a big head, he hated playing second fiddle.

Over all though the thing he hated most was the fact that Harry would undoubtedly get his hopes up, he would hope that his brother would want something to do with him despite what he had said and the problem was that the boy –young man- may not want anything to do with either of them.

Chapter End Notes:
Next Chapter The adoption and Sirius making a nuisance of himself.