Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Beta read by Nightshade
Chapter 6

"What do you mean 'maybe'?" Severus shouted and shot up from the visitor's seat in the private part of infirmary. "You have to take Longbottom. I don't want him!"

Minerva, from her hospital bed, shot him a look that had him sitting back immediately.

"Minerva, I know the boy doesn't want me to be his guardian any more than I do," he reasoned. "I don't see any reason why we shouldn't transfer the guardianship to you. I wonder why Augusta Longbottom didn't name you in advance. She had to know she was dying. How could she be so stupid and let it come to this?"

"Only good about dead, Severus," Minerva admonished. "Listen, Severus. It is just for a few months. Neville will have been adult by the middle of summer. Being his guardian doesn't mean much work, only fend off his Uncle, and for that role you are better suited than me."

"What's there for me?" Severus groused, considering it a rhetorical question.

To his surprise Minerva answered. "Albus informed me your spying days were over. Being on Longbottom's side and performing well in that duty puts you firmly on the light side in the eyes of the Order."

Severus considered it. "I don't think that will persuade them," he said dismissively. They would always believe he was just a turncoat or a betrayer.

"Maybe not, but it cannot hurt. They will be swayed in time, you'll see." Minerva was full of her unbearable optimism.

"I don't like him," Severus informed her petulantly. "It's nearly as bad as if I were guardian to Potter."

Minerva laughed at him.

"Pomona told me she would like to keep Neville as her assistant as soon as he finishes Hogwarts. Neville, though, would like to expand his personal greenhouses at Longbottom Manor." She told him mischievously. "So, either you protect his money well, or he will have no funds to fulfill his dream and he'll stay here at Hogwarts."

That sounded horrifying. "It's just some four and half months," he said resignedly.

"That's the spirit!" Minerva encouraged.

"It will be you who will inform Longbottom." Severus decided he deserved the last word.