Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Beta-read by TabbyBri. Thank you, Tabby!
Chapter 9
"It shouldn't be too risky," Harry said dismissively. He honestly failed to see the point of this two-hours meeting about a simple trip.

Severus closed his eyes, pinched the bridge of his big nose, and took a deep breath. It was an all too familiar gesture to the two Gryffindors. Neville and Harry exchanged glance and rolled their eyes.

"Potter, have you been listening for at least one minute?" Severus' voice betrayed the fight for calm. Then he repeated the main points as if he were talking to an imbecile. "The place is known to Death-Eaters. I am wanted by Death-Eaters. You are wanted by Death-Eaters. There can be triggers. There can be an ambush. Understand?"

"I got it the first time, thanks," Harry informed him with dignity. "I understand the facts. But talking in circles about it doesn't help anything. We just have to gather the plants as fast as possible and get lost. I memorized the plants and how to pick them by heart, so let's go."

Severus sighed. He could see the truth in Potter's words. If only he didn't feel responsible for the two boys! If only Longbottom hadn't sprained his ankle. Potter was too valuable an asset to be risked for mere potion ingredients. Only, they needed the plants. They were crucial for their plan to finish the Dark Lord for once and all.

"Longbottom's ankle should be healed the day after tomorrow. We should wait." Severus sighed.

"We've been over this," Harry said, exasperated, "If there's ground frost tonight, the plants will be destroyed and we will have to wait till spring!"

"We lost enough time trying to contact Ron and Hermione," Neville joined in, "and we all know how it went." They were unsuccessful in reaching to their friends - they only managed to confirm they were alive and presumably hiding together – and in the process they nearly got captured by the Dark Lord's henchmen. It had been a close call.

Harry got up. "I'm going," he announced to Snape, "with or without you."

"You... Gryffindor!"

"Proud of it!" Harry shot back.

And so they went. Neville clapped their backs and wished them luck for about the hundredth and one times.

Snape managed to find the needed herbs in nearly no time, and they busied themselves gathering. Without knowing what prompted him, Harry looked up. Two Death-Eaters! Behind Snape! With their wands out! Without a word Harry waved his wand casting a silent blinding charm. Snape, no novice to the game, felt to the ground, his wand casting a Sectumsempra before his back hit the ground. Harry hit the second Death-Eater with a stunner. The man deflected it. In the same moment he was struck with Snape's second Sectumsempra and followed his fallen comrade to death.

Harry could feel his heart beating like mad. Snape cast a revealing course, checking that there were no more Death-Eaters. Finding none, Snape got up, and got back to picking up herbs. Harry stared at him in horrified admiration.

"Back to work, Potter," Snape urged.

Soon, they had enough ingredients and Apparated back to Longbottom manor. Only there, in safety, Snape looked at him, "You held up better than I would have thought, Potter."

"Harry," Harry told him. "We fought together, so you could use my name."

"Harry," Snape acknowledged. Then he hesitated. "I suppose I'm not your Professor anymore, so you may call me by my name."

"Severus." Harry smiled.