Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

“Oh Merlin, mum that’s Hedwig that’s Harrys’ owl there must be something wrong for her to fly like that” Ron exclaimed.

Mrs Weasley looked down at the exhausted bird and saw the missive clamped  firmly in her beak.

"She's got a letter for you Ron," Mrs Weasley said, taking the note off the bird and handing it to her son, and the only reason I can think for her flying like that is that she was perhaps being chased by something, Harry's with his relatives so I can't see why there should be anything wrong with him." 

Ron opened the envelope and started reading.

The freckles on the boys face stood out in stark contrast to the sickly pale colour it had now turned and in a choked voice he said “Oh mum” and sank onto the nearest chair, he held the letter out to his mother.  

Mrs Weasley took the piece of paper from her son and started to read.

“Ron is this  a prank something you to have cooked up together to get Harry here?” she said in a quiet voice. “If it is tell me, I wont be cross with you but you need to tell me,” “Mum, god no” Ron’ s shocked voice cut through his mothers questions “this is nothing to do with me, I was going to ask if he could come and stay for a while but I would never do any thing like this.”

The twins and Mr Weasley by now were at a complete loss as to what was going on.

“Molly love what’s wrong, what’s in that letter I gather it’s about Harry Potter but I need to know if there’s something wrong with him.” Molly Weasley handed the by now crumpled piece of paper to he husband.

“Oh for the love that is everything muggle,” Arthur Weasley shouted, “I need to see Dumbledore, if this is not a hoax some one needs to get to Harry now.”

Ron’s head snapped up “I’m coming with you dad,” he said

“no son you need to stay here” came the reply, his father beginning preparations to leave.

“No he’s my mate and if he’s hurt he’ll need me.

” The twins heads were swinging back and for like spectators at a tennis match their mouths open still completely in the dark as to what was causing all the drama.

“Fred, George see to the owl, Ron get your cloak and hurry, we need to go now.”

Mr Weasley dragged Ron over to the fire and grabbed a small pot of floo powder off the shelf. “Follow me,” he said to his son through the powder into the flames and shouted; “Headmaster Dumbledore’s Office, Hogwarts” stepped into the green flames and disappeared. Ron looked around at the rest of his family gave a small smile and copied his father, and with a whoosh of green he to left the kitchen.

The sound of her husband and youngest son leaving seemed to spur Mrs Weasley into action.

“Fred you can start clearing this mess and George you can take care of the owl, I had better find something else to eat.”

“Um mum,” George began tentatively as he gently lifted the exhausted Hedwig out of the train wreck that had up until five minutes ago been their evening meal, “ what exactly is in that letter?”

 Fred stopped what he was doing and looked across at his mother expectantly.

  “Oh boys I’m sorry of course you want to know what’s happening,” she took a deep breath before continuing, “The letter is supposedly from Harry’s cousin, Dudley, he says that both of his parents have beaten Harry and he is in a bad way and it’s not the first time.

“Bloody hell said George no wonder that bird came in her like a bat out of hell there must be truth in it though mum Hedwig wouldn’t have been flying like that  if things were ok.”   

“I know that” his mother replied but all we can do is wait until we hear from Ron or your father.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Arthur Weasley shot out of the fireplace in Dumbledore’s office closely followed by Ron.

The Headmaster was seated behind his desk working on school admin. 

“Well, well, this is a surprise what brings you two to Hogwarts tonight?"

The old wizard smiled genially at them,

“Please both of you take a seat, can I offer you both some tea?”

He seemed totally unperturbed the fact that Mr Weasley and Ron had just arrived unannounced. “Lemon drop, Ron,? “

“Umm no thanks sir “ 

“So what can I do for you on this fine evening?” he asked looking between the two red heads now sitting opposite him. Arthur handed him Dudley’s letter,

“I think you had better read this,” and sat back.

The smile slowly left the face of the old wizard,

“When did you receive this?” he asked, raising from his chair,

“about ten minutes ago” Arthur  replied, “Harry’s owl flew in like the hounds of hell were chasing her.”

“Mum thought I had something to do with it,” Ron mumbled, “thought it was a prank so that Harry could come and stay with us for the rest of the holidays, you don’t think that do you sir?” the young boy looked nervously into the eyes of the headmaster.

“No Ronald I believe that what is in this letter is very real and young Harry is indeed in very grave peril and we need to act now.”

“Mr Weasley I need you to go to the hospital wing I will inform Madam Pomfrey that you are on your way you will need to tell her what is happening, show her the letter and help her set up what she will need for when we get harry here”

Dumbledore placed his head in the fire and called out for the school matron, Ron and his father could only make out parts of the conversation.

Arthur Weasley then turned to Ron and said, "Son you need to go to the infirmary now, we’ll go and bring Harry to safety he’ll be ok, you go and do what Albus has told you and I’ll see you when we get back, Oh and Ron let your mother know what’s happening maybe she should be here too.”

Ron gave his father a quick hug and left the headmasters office. Breaking into a run he headed in the direction of the hospital wing offering up prayers to every deity that he knew praying that his friend would be ok, praying the others would get to him on time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Professor Severus Snape was taking the opportunity of a quiet evening to read.

He had finished brewing the potions  that were needed to restock the hospital for the new term and all his private requests were up to date so he had the evening free to enjoy his second great love, muggle fiction, so ensconced in his comfortable leather arm chair before a roaring fire, (even though it was the middle of the summer and it was unbelievably hot outside the temperatures in the dungeons never reflected that so Snape had a fire burning all year round).

And as the venerable old cat, and deputy headmistress, McGonagall would say, "Just a wee dram to keep the cold at bay,” Snape settled down to enjoy his evening,with his favourite author and a glass or two of whisky, when the headmasters head suddenly appeared in the flames,

“Severus you’re needed in my office now, emergency, and bring your potions bag.” 

Muttering every profanity known to man and several he made up Snape grabbed his emergency potions bag and flood to the headmaster’s office.

Ok Albus what’s wrong this time? Toothache, wind, wouldn’t be surprised with the amount of sugar you consume, he then caught sight of Arthur Weasley sitting next to the desk,

"Or maybe one of the terrible twosomes, err experiments, have gone wrong, prank backfired has it?" Snape asked, with an evil smirk.

Arthur gave a small shake of the head as the Headmaster interrupted him.

"Harry Potter is in trouble, we received a letter today, haven’t got time to explain it all now but I will when we get him to safety."

"How do you know this letter is not a hoax?" Snape asked

“Lets just say I have my ways” came the reply “like I said everything will be explained.”

“I have lowered the wards surrounding the school for now so we can apparate  straight to Little Whinging” Dumbledore carried on, “when we get there let me talk to the Dursley’s, Severus I’ll need you to see to Harry, Arthur you may need to go to the Ministry, Severus are you listening to me?”

Dumbledore caught the look on Snapes face. 

“ You, left, Lily’s, child with that horse faced bitch, oh old man please say your kidding me," Snape rounded incredulously on Dumbledore "for a great wizard you can be an incredibly stupid man.” She was jealous of Lily, Petunia Evans hated anything to do with magic including me, when we were growing up she constantly called us freaks and abominations and then she met and married Dursley and she became even worse he was an incredible bigot and not just against our kind. Harry didn’t stand a chance. I can’t believe you left him with them.”

Dumbledore placed his hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze, we need to get the boy and then I can begin to sort out the mess I’ve made and on that note the three wizards left the castle.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Back at number four Privet Drive Dudley was sitting at the table a plate overloaded with food, but he was just playing with it, pushing it around and taking small mouthfuls now and then.

“Diddy darling ,your not eating aren’t you feeling well his mothers concerned voice came across the table, "

Vernon there’s something wrong with Dudders, he’s off his food.”

“Oh no need to worry,” Vernon chuckled, it’s probably this infernal heat, that’s it isn’t it lad the heat is getting to you?” 

“Oh I don’t know, Petunia said, looking at her son, “he looks peaky to me, maybe you should go and lie down for a while and mummy will bring you up a nice snack later and a cold drink and if your still not feeling right we’ll get to you to the doctors."

“Mummy I’m fine” answered Dudley, “it’s like daddy said it’s just the heat.”

But Dudley really was feeling sick how could his mother talk about taking him to the doctors just because he didn’t eat his food and Harry was laying unconscious upstairs because of something they had done.

“Right, said his father, I’m going to water the garden and I’ll have a coffee when I come back in Pet.”

Vernon went outside, Petunia started clearing the table

“are you sure your ok Diddy darling?” his mother asked.

“Yes mummy,” Dudley huffed “I’m going upstairs to play a game.”

“Ok sweetums call me if you want anything.” “I will,” he replied.

Dudley lumbered slowly down the hall thinking to himself,  

'It's been well over an hour since Hedwig left how long would it take her to find someone to help did she understand maybe she was just flying around looking for mice, ‘I’ll  go and check again on Harry and if he was any worse then I’ll  have to do something perhaps I should have done in the first place, call the emergency services.’ The thought made him go cold.

He was upstairs and outside Harry’s door with his hand on the door handle, he took a deep breath, slowly opened the door and went in.

The room was gloomy and very hot, the heat from the day had not really dissapated at all and it promised to be a hot sticky night. The sun had set and there was very little daylight left. The room was at the back of the house so there were no street lights to illuminate it either.Dudley knew he couldn’t turn on a light, so, he very carefully made his way across the floor to where he had left Harry huddled in the corner. At some time during the evening Harry had slid onto his side.

 The smell of blood, vomit and urine in the room was overpowering and Dudley had to fight not to loose the contents of his stomach. Reaching Harry he crouched down beside him and gently placed his hand on his chest relieved to feel a slow rise and fall. At least he was still alive.  His breathing seemed harsh and there was a strange gurgling sound when Harry breathed in. he knew his time was limited and he would have to make a decision soon should he wait any longer or should he call for help?

He heard his father coming in from the garden;

 “Any chance of that coffee Pet?” “Just putting the kettle on now” he heard his mother answer.

 Then he heard the doorbell ring and his heart leapt into his throat could this be them would they come to the door and ring the bell ?

He left the room as quickly as he could, closing the door behind him. And made his way down the stairs just as his father was opening the door

“Yes what do you want?" Vernon snapped at the three men standing there, "we don’t by at the door we don’t give to charity and we don’t need new windows or doors." He started to close the door.

"We are not selling or collecting, we are here for Harry Potter."

Vernon’s face went a deep shade of purple, "Your, your some of them, he hissed how dare you come here, you can’t see him he’s not here, he’s out with friends so go away and don’t come back."

 I’m afraid we can’t do that Albus Dumbledore said smiling genially and stepping closer to the door Arthur and Snape staying close behind him. Snape caught sight of movement behind Vernon and saw Dudley trying to gain their attention. He was furiously pointing up the stairs.

"Well I tell you what," said Dumbledore the smile never leaving his face, "we’ll just come in and wait until he comes home," and the three wizards pushed passed Vernon.

"How dare you Vernon blustered who the bloody hell do you think you are coming into someone’s home uninvited ."

"I sir am Albus Dumbledore and you Vernon Dursley is in enough trouble as it is. So if you please my good man do your self a favour and be quiet."

"Severus go and find the boy, Arthur with me if you will."

There was a small scream and the sound of a plate hitting the floor. They all spun around to see Petunia Dursley standing by the kitchen door one hand on her chest  the other pointing to Snape "

You!" she excalaimed "what are you doing in my home you freak."

Hello to you to Tuney,” Snape spat out, “Nice to see you too, so sorry I can’t stay and and chat I was told you’ve got an injured child upstairs, but I’ll be back don’t you worry then we can have a nice catch up.”

The look Snape gave Petunia had caused many a first year student to burst into tears and one or two even to wet themselves. He turned and ran up the stairs.

“Right you two,” said Arthur Weasley “I think you should go and sit in there,” pointing into the lounge.  

“How dare you assume to tell me what to do, may I remind you...?”  Started Vernon, But Dumbledore interrupted him.

 “ENOUGH!” “You no longer have any say in what will happen. You will do EXACTLY as you are told and you will not argue, YOU lost any rights when you first raised a hand to a child.” The power that emanated from the the white haired wizard was incredible and the Dursley’s realised that they were in no position to argue.  

 “Arthur if you please, stay here with these two I’m going upstairs to see what damage has been inflicted on Harry.

Dumbledore went out into the hall to find Dudley sitting on the bottom of the stairs, his head in his hands crying softly, the events of the last few hours finally catching up with him.

Dumbledore placed a hand on his shoulder I’m going up to check what is happening upstairs then I’m going to come back and talk to you, is that ok my boy?” Dudley answered with a small nod.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

Snape had never been so shocked in his life as when he first opened the door to Harry's room. 

The smell was unbearable. The heat made it  like a furnace. he cracked the window to get some air in.

Snape, using his wand to illuminate the room caught sight of the unconscious boy in the corner.

By now Harry was hardly breathing and he knew that every second counted and rushed over to him. Setting out a quill and parchment so that it would record Harry’s injuries, Snape began scanning the unconscious boy’s body and the quill began to write.

While he was waiting for the scan to finish he spelled some healing potions directly into Harry and conjured a magical oxygen mask to help Harry’s breathing. He checked the parchment but the quill was still writing, it was now over a foot long and growing,

 ‘Oh Harry child what have they done to you, and why the bloody hell didn’t you tell any one?’ Snape asked himself as looked at the boy at his feet his body a mass of bruises and blood, his face swollen.

 Dumbledore’s voice broke into his thoughts asking as he stepped into the room, “how is he?”

“Not good Albus, I’m still waiting for the full diagnosis I’ve done some basic stabilization spells on him until I know exactly what I’m dealing with. But he’s a bloody mess, if it wasn’t for his magic he would be dead.

“I know you’ll do your best for him my boy.” Albus said sadly.

“I only hope my best will be good enough.” Snape said more to himself.

 Albus I can’t take him away from here unless I get permission from those animals or better still get them to sign over guardianship to someone else.

“Leave it to me I’ll deal with them Albus said you just need to concern yourself with getting Harry to safety, they don’t know that and besides they are in no position to question anything we do.”

“But the Ministry, Albus,”

“Oh Balls to the ministry I’ve been keeping them in the dark for years it’s easy enough.” Dumbledore gave Snape a sly grin.