Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 6

 

Harry looked around the room shocked. He saw Ron beaming at him from the corner. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were there, with a young girl Harry assumed to be the youngest and only Weasley girl in a family of six boys. Percy was next to his father eyeing the twins who seemed to be rather subdued; maybe it had something to do with the fact they were in the dreaded potions masters’ rooms. Madam Pomfrey was sitting on the couch and Dumbledore was relaxing in Snape’s armchair. 

“Didn’t think we would forget your birthday now did you Harry?” Dumbledore said his blue eyes twinkling merrily.

“Umm I did” Harry replied truthfully.

“Told you so” Ron said from the corner of the room. “I said that you wouldn’t know what day it was.”

“Smart arse” mumbled one of the twins Mrs. Weasley glared a warning at him.

Seeing Harry looking a bit overwhelmed Snape suggested that he first went and had a look at his new room.

Harry agreed gratefully. 

“Right then follow me, we will not take long but I think that Harry needs a bit of time to compose himself he said to the room at large.”

They walked down a hallway and stopped by the first of three doors.

“This is my bedroom, do not be afraid to enter it if you need me at any time but knock first."

"This is the bathroom," Snape opened the door and stepped aside for Harry to have a look. There was a large shower cubicle and in the centre a large sunken bath. “You can use that any time you wish.” Snape said pointing to the bath “just clean it after yourself.”

“Thank you.”

“Now do you want to see your room?”

“Yes please”

Snape opened the last door.

He let Harry go in first; it was just like his Gryffindor dorm room with the two four-poster beds and the red and gold bedding and décor. There were quidditch posters on the walls.

“Is it to your liking Harry?”

“Its brilliant sir but why are there two beds?”

“You don’t expect Mr Weasley to sleep on the floor do you?”

“You mean he’ll be able to stay down here as well?”

“Obviously.”

“Thank you sir.”

“You are welcome Harry I think it will benefit us both, but we will go over the rules later.”

“Knew there’d be a catch” Harry muttered.

“Mind your cheek young man Snape said ruffling Harry’s hair.

“Ready to go back out there?” 

“Can I ask you a question first sir it’s something that been bugging me?”

“And what is that”

“You told me a letter had gotten to the Weasleys”

“They received a letter, yes”

“Who wrote it?”

“Do you need to know right now?”

“Not really it’s just kinda been playing on my mind.”

“ Very well, it was your cousin.”

“DUDLEY! Dudley saved me why?”

“It would seem so and as to why I suggest you ask the headmaster, he had a lengthy conversation with young Mr. Dursley the night you were brought here. Right I think we have left your guests long enough don’t you?”

They went back out into the main room where everyone was still waiting.

“How is everything dear boy?” Dumbledore asked “Do you like your room?”

“Yes thanks sir its great.”

“Now then Harry how about opening some of your gifts eh?” Mrs. Weasley said.

“Um ok feeling unsure again not used to having a fuss made of him, having never once celebrated his birthday. Last year was the first time he had ever received anything for his birthday that he could remember and that was Hedwig his snowy owl that he had got from Hagrid.

Harry sat down on the floor and lent against Snape’s legs the small amount of contact comforting him.

Snape rested his hands on Harry’s shoulders and gave them a reassuring squeeze.

Ron then started to hand him his presents and cards.

There was a book on quidditch from Ron, a gift certificate from Flourish and Blotts the bookstore and some home made fudge from the Weasleys. Madam Pomfrey had given him pyjamas with moving golden snitches. Dumbledore had given him a beautiful chess set.

He had the one out of a Christmas cracker last year but this was really special.

And from Snape he had received some new clothes and books.

Mrs Weasley had brought a cake and with food from the kitchens a party was soon in full swing.

The twins took Harry to one side

“Are you ok Harry?" "You know mum told us what happened and that owl of yours must have flown like an arrow from a bow the speed she came through our kitchen window we were cleaning the mess up for hours after.”

“Sorry I didn’t know, and thank you for taking care of her. Ron said she was knackered when she arrived.”

He caught Snape’s raised eyebrow and blushed a little.

“It must be weird having him as your guardian,” one of the twins said Harry wasn’t sure which.

Harry shrugged his shoulders. “He hasn’t been to bad yet, but then again I haven’t done anything to upset him, he’ll probably chop me into potion ingredients when I do, so it’s been nice knowing you.”

The three red heads laughed Ron relieved to see a little of the Harry that he knew from last year coming through.

“Ron, have you heard from Hermione?” Harry asked wanting to get off the subject of his guardian.

“I wrote and told her you weren’t well and were no longer at your relatives and that I would explain everything to her when school starts.”

“Ok great thanks.”

“Harry,” Mr Weasley came over to talk to him, I am glad to see you are better.

“Thank you Mr Weasley, and thank you for rescuing me.”

“Not at all. Now may be one day when it’s a little quieter and you are feeling more yourself we could have a chat?”

“Certainly sir what about?”

“Rubber Ducks” replied the wizard.

The twins and Ron burst out laughing at the astonished look on Harry’s face.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Later in the evening after all the guests had left, Harry was sitting on his bed reading through his cards waiting for Ron to finish in the bath.

He had been surprised when Snape had told him that they would be visiting Diagon Alley the next day and that Ron would be going with them.

Snape came into his room and sat down on Ron’s bed. 

“How are you feeling?” he asked

“A little tired but ok,” Harry answered, “thanks for today sir.”

“Your welcome. But now I want to discuss a few things with you before Ronald comes in ok?”

Harry nodded.

“Harry I have a position in this school and it commands a certain amount of respect. I have worked hard to gain that respect from the pupils and my fellow teachers. My being your guardian will not detract from the respect that I expect from you.

I will be informed of all aspects of your school life good or bad. There will be rules in place and I expect them to be followed if they are broken there will be consequences.

Seeing the look of fear on Harry’s face Snape was quick to reassure him.

“I will not hit you I do not believe that a spanking would be beneficial in your case, but the punishment will fit the crime.

You will not put yourself or others in any danger like you did on countless occasions last year.

You will be informed of the rules when I have decided what exactly they are to be, I am new to this as well.

You will return to the Gryffindor tower when school starts but you will always have place here, this is your home now. And Harry I would like for you to call me Severus, when we are on our own, you will have to call me sir or professor when school restarts.”

Just then Ron came into the room

“And what do I get call you sir, when we are not in school?”

You Mr. Weasley may call me Professor Snape or sir.” Snape replied cuffing the boy softly across the ear.

“Right ho, Ron replied grinning “just thought I’d check.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The following morning Snape was sitting in his favorite chair reading the Daily Prophet, drinking his second cup of coffee of the day. It was still early and the two boys were fast asleep.

Albus Dumbledore’s head appeared in the fire “Morning my boy mind if I step through?”

“Would it make a difference if I did?” Snape muttered. “No Albus come through.”

The next minute Dumbledore was standing in Snape’s sitting room wearing the brightest purple and green robes Snape had ever seen. 

“Dear God man bit garish aren’t they what in Merlins name possessed you to purchase those?”

“Now Severus no need to be insulting, I didn’t buy them Minerva did, for my birthday.”  

“She’s getting as batty as you, would you like some tea Albus?”

“No thank you, just thought I’d let you know that the Minister of Magic is aware that Harry is no longer with the Dursley’s and that they have been arrested, Kingsley informed me earlier. I will no doubt receive a visit off Cornelius and his charming under secretary some time today.”

“Do you envisage any problems with the visit?”

“No none at all the paper work regarding the guardianship has been sealed by the Gringotts goblins and is now somewhere in the ministry so the Minister won’t get to see it for some time yet.” 

“But he is going to see it and then what?”

“I wish you would stop worrying Severus you are going to give yourself an ulcer.”

Harry wandered into the sitting room rumpled and still sleepy rubbing his eyes his usually messy hair sticking up all over the place.

“Morning Harry did you sleep well?” Dumbledore asked smiling at the small boy.

Harry jumped a little not expecting to see his headmaster this early in the morning. 

“Oh good morning sir yes thank you I slept fine.”

“I suppose Mr. Weasley is still sleeping?” asked Snape

“Yeah takes him ages to wake up,” answered Harry 

“Well Harry I sure you can think of something said the headmaster his eyes full off mischief, you are in your potion masters quarters after all.”

Harry took off down the hall and barged into his bedroom the headmaster close behind intrigued at what Harry was about to do.

“Ron, Ron, wake up you’ve slept through breakfast and potions begin in five minutes.” He shouted into the sleeping boys ear.

Ron sat up. “What I’ve missed breakfast oh bloody hell.”

“Yeah and we’ve got potions first lesson.” Harry was struggling to keep a straight face, as Ron jumped off the bed and began to look for his clothes. 

“Why didn’t any one wake us Harry?” he said grabbing a pair of socks and sitting on his bed, and then the realization set in.

“You git,” he said picking a pillow up off the bed and throwing it Harry. 

“Got you up didn’t it.”

Harry heard the headmaster chuckling outside the bedroom door.

“Come on Ron,” he said “or we will miss breakfast and we’re going to Diagon Alley today,”

Harry felt a wave of excitement wash over him he remembered the alley from last year when he visited with Hagrid, he had just found out that he was a wizard and everything was a little overwhelming. He was determined to enjoy it even more today and he would have Ron with him for company as well.

After washing and dressing the two boys raced into the sitting room ready for their breakfast.

“No running, snapped Snape your not toddlers. Sit, eat I’m going to get dressed we’ll be leaving by floo in half an hour.” 

 And Snape stalked out of the room.

“What’s rattled his cage?” Ron asked sitting by the table that was now laden with all of his favorite breakfast foods. 

Harry shrugged his shoulders, 

“Beats me.”   

‘Was it something he did or was it something to do with Dumbledore’s earlier visit?’ Determined not to let it bother him Harry placed some bacon, eggs and toast on his plate and began to eat.

Snape came out of his bedroom.

“You need to drink this Harry he said handing him a small bottle of potion then we’ll be leaving.” 

“I assume Mr. Weasley you are able to floo by yourself?” 

“Yes sir” 

“Good, floo into the Leaky Cauldron I will come through with Harry. Do not go anywhere wait by the fireplace; we will be meeting up with the rest of your family outside Madam Malkins.”

He handed Ron the small pot of the shelf. “Remember stay by the fire I do not wish to have to look for you.” 

“Ok sir see you in a bit.” Ron threw the powder into the fire and stepped into the green flames and disappeared. 

“Come on then Harry,” said Snape catching hold of him by the arm and pulling him in close lets go.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* 

The leaky cauldron was not very busy as it was still fairly early. Tom the old barman was there and looked up when Snape and Harry stepped out of the flames.

“Good morning Professor” he said don’t normally see you at this time of day.”

“No, well I have a few errands to attend to so if you will excuse us.” and ushered Harry and Ron out of the pub.

“Nice to see his mood has improved,” whispered Harry to Ron

“Yeah what’s up?”

“No idea bet it’s got something to do with Dumbledore’s visit this morning.” 

They watched as Snape tapped on the wall with his wand and the arch that would allow them to enter Diagon Alley appeared.

The alley was busy with early morning shoppers, some of them Harry and Ron’s school friends and they stopped and stared at Harry as he passed with Snape as they made their way to where they were meeting Ron’s family.

“Do not stop Mr. Potter.” Snape growled, “I do not want to be here all day.”

They soon met up with the rest of the Weasley’s

Harry was beginning to wonder what was wrong with his guardian, he was in a foul mood and it was getting worse. 

“Hello Harry ready to get your school things?” asked Mrs. Weasley

“I guess so,” Harry said not sure if he really wanted to spend any time with Snape on his own with the mood he was in.

“Well, we’ll take Ronald and get what he needs and meet up again outside the bookshop in a couple of hours is that ok with you?” she asked the professor.

“Yes that should give us adequate time to purchase what is required” Snape replied.

“Good luck mate.” Ron whispered to Harry 

“Thanks I think I’m gonna need it.” He replied. 

The next two hours were spent in a whirl of shopping Snape explained exactly what was required to the shopkeepers and soon packages of all shapes and sizes were gathered around them. Harry had never had so much bought for him before and if the professor weren’t in such a bad mood he would have been enjoying himself.

He stopped outside Quality Quidditch Supplies just to have a look at the new Nimbus 2001

“We haven’t got time for that now.” Snape said has he pulled him away 

“Yeah well if you hadn’t spent so much time in the apothecary we might have.”

Harry muttered under his breath his mood becoming as black as Snapes. 

Snape ignored him.

When they arrived at the bookstore there were of witches of all ages standing around giggling like schoolgirls and gossiping.

Mr. Weasley came up to join Harry and Snape. 

“The family is over there waiting for you.” 

He said pointing to where the rest of the Weasley’s were standing.

“How mad is this?” Said Ron when Harry went over to him.

“What’s going on?”

“Gilderoy Lockhart is here,” Mrs. Weasley said, sounding like a young girl, “he is signing his new book”

“Who’s Gilderoy Lockhart?” Harry asked. 

“He wrote a load of books on every thing from banshees to werewolves” said Fred Weasley coming over to join them.

“Yeah and mum fancies him.” George said 

“I reckon the new DADA professor must fancy him as well all this years books are by him.” Laughed Fred.

Mrs. Weasley gave him a dirty look.

“Harry dear Severus has gone to get the rest of your books on the list so you wait here with me ok.” 

“Yeah that’s..” but Harry didn’t finish his sentence as he was knocked into her by a scruffy little man carrying a large camera. 

“How very rude,” she said as she put Harry back on his feet.

The witches in front of them moved slightly and a blonde haired wizard wearing bright blue robes came into view. He was sitting behind a large table that was stacked high with books.

As Mrs. Weasley finished making sure Harry was ok the wizard behind the table caught sight of him.

He said something to little man standing beside him and the next thing Harry knew he was behind the table with Gilderoy Lockhart’s’ arm around his shoulder smiling a great sickly smile.

There was a flash and Lockhart said. 

“Smile Harry this is worth a fortune.” 

“Gerr off me.” Harry said struggling to get away from the man but unable to release the hold he had on him. 

“Well ladies and gentlemen,” Lockhart started to say but his speech was cut of by the looming presence of Snape. 

“I believe Mr. Potter asked you to release him.” He said a warning in his voice. 

“It’s just a few photographs no harm.”

Lockhart smiled showing dazzling white teeth either not recognizing or ignoring the warning in Snapes voice. 

“I suggest in future before you try and use Mr. Potter in any of your publicity stunts you get permission from his guardian.” 

The toothy smile still in place. Gilderoy Lockhart asked in what he believed to be a winning tone of voice. 

“And whom might that be my dear chap?” 

“That my dear chap,” answered Snape sarcasm dripping off every syllable. “Would be me.” 

He grabbed Harry and pulled him away from Lockhart, telling the Weasley’s he would see them later he dragged Harry through the silent shop. 

Once outside he grabbed hold of Harry tightly around the waist turned on the spot and disaparated. 

They landed outside the gates of Hogwarts, Harry on his knees heaving, his stomach in his mouth. 

“What the hell was that?” he groaned 

“Side along apparation quickest way to get back here.” Snape replied pulling him up off the floor. 

“Can you warn me next time please?” Harry asked. “Or better still can there not be a next time that was horrible.” 

Snape turned on Harry, his black eyes glittering dangerously.

“What was all that about in the bookshop Mr. Potter he spat out I thought you despised notoriety?” 

Harry stepped away from him what was wrong with the man today? He was behaving just like the professor that he had come to dislike last year not the caring man that had treated him with such tenderness just a few days ago.  

Not wanting to make matters any worse Harry thought that perhaps it would be better if he didn’t say anything.

It was the wrong decision

Snape grabbed him by the shoulders and shook him slightly.

“I asked you a question and I expect an answer,” he snarled in Harry’s face.

Harry now feeling fearful of Snape shook out of his hold.

“What the Blood hell’s the matter with you?” The corners of his eyes pooling with tears.

“I thought you’d changed but you haven’t it was just an act. You are just the same as you were last year; you’re just as bad as them. I can’t trust any one, I thought you were going to take care of me but it is all for show for others. Well I don’t need you I don’t need any one I can take care of myself.

And Harry ran from Snape towards the forbidden forest.