Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9

Snape was sitting in his chair again this morning with his usual cup of coffee waiting for his morning paper to arrive when Harry came into the room. 

“Morning Harry,” he said to him as he watched the boy sleepily brush his hair out of his eyes. “Did you sleep well?” 

“Morning sir uh Severus, Harry replied a little shyly, “yes thanks I slept great in the end.” 

They had stayed up talking for a while after Dumbledore and McGonagall had left, until Harry could no longer keep his eyes open. And with a promise of continuing their conversation today Harry finally agreed to go to bed. 

“We have been invited up to the Headmasters Chambers for breakfast this morning so when you have showered and changed we will make our way up there.” Snape told Harry. 

“Ok fine said Harry turning and going back down the hall to the bathroom to get ready for the day. 

Snape paced whilst he was waiting for Harry, he would have liked to read the paper, but for some reason it had not arrived. 

As soon as Harry was ready they left the dungeons and made the long walk up to Dumbledore’s tower. 

 

“Sir, um Severus” Harry asked while they walked, why wasn’t Ron allowed to stay here last night?” Was it because I run off?” 

“No Harry it had absolutely nothing to do with that. But I think I should allow young Mr. Weasley to tell you the tale. You will see him maybe later today, if not it will be tomorrow alright?” 

“Yes ok.”

“Severus?” Harry said the name with out a stumble this time and Snape smiled to himself, a warm feeling in the pit of his stomach at the sound of Harry saying his name. 

“Yes Harry?”

“Do you think I could go flying sometime today, if we’re not to busy that is?”

“There might be a bit of a problem there Harry, you see when Dumbledore retrieved your belongings from the Dursley’s your broom was not amongst them. I am afraid they have destroyed it. But I will replace it for you.”

“There’s no need sir Harry said, the sir slipping out, “I left it here at the end of term, it’s in the Gryffindor changing room in my locker. I didn’t want them getting their hands on it so I thought it was the best thing to do. And after all I couldn’t fly in Little Whinging.”

“So you took you school books back with you and left your broom?” Snape asked.

Harry looked a bit sheepish. “Yeah well I had to, I had homework to do. But they just took my trunk off me as soon as I got home and locked it away. I know they tried to get into the trunk but they couldn’t.”

“And why is that?” Snape asked

“I had Hermione put one hell of a locking charm on it,” laughed Harry.

“How very Gryffindor of you ” smirked Snape. “So did you manage to do any schoolwork?”

Harry shook his head in reply.

“Well we will have to rectify that won’t we? There is still time before the start of term.”

“Great,” muttered Harry under his breath.

“Something to say Mr. Potter?” asked Snape smiling.

“Nothing at all Professor Snape.” Harry replied, enjoying the banter between them.

 

Arriving at the revolving staircase that would take them up to the Headmaster’s chambers Snape gave the password,  “JELLYBABIES,” to the gargoyle.

“Really?” asked Harry laughing.

 Snape shook his head. “Don’t ask,” he said. 

When they reached the office door Harry knocked and they were bid entry.

Dumbledore was sat behind his large desk looking through some papers when they entered. He stood up and opened his arms in welcome.  

“Come in, come in my boys and sit yourselves down. Make yourselves comfortable; breakfast will be here any minute. How are things?” he rambled on ushering them in and waving them towards the table that had been set for four.

“Fine Albus, everything is fine, Snape answered sitting down at the proffered chair, who else are we expecting?” He asked, Harry sat down opposite.

“Just Minerva, she wanted to be here to catch up as well. She didn’t get to see much of Harry yesterday after all.”

“I didn’t realize it was fancy dress Headmaster.” Snape drawled, looking the wizard up and down.

Dumbledore was wearing bright green robes covered in orange swirls.

Harry snorted.

A small whine behind a door to his left caught his attention.

“What was that?” Snape asked looking at the Headmaster.

“Nothing.” Dumbledore replied an inocent look on his face.

There was a sound of scratching, like claws on wood, and a definite louder whine.

“Oh no you didn’t, Headmaster please tell me you let that thing go?”

Harry looked at Snape bemused now. What was behind the door that had got him so worked up?

“Well I couldn’t leave him out there all on his own now could I?” 

“You sound like that bloody idiot Hagrid. “You mean to tell me you have had that creature in your rooms, all-night?”

“Well no, we went for a walk last night after I left you, it was most enjoyable.”

“Albus you need your head examined, Harry do not open that….” But it was too late curiosity had overtaken Harry, and not getting any answers listening to the two men he went over and opened the door.

A flash of tan and white fur came bounding out of Dumbledore’s bedchamber.

Memories of yesterday and the forest came flooding back and Harry was flat on his back whilst two paws pinned him to the ground. A long very wet tongue then proceeded to lick every inch of his face.

“You see Severus he is very friendly and he seems to really like young Harry.” 

“Oh no you don’t old man I can see where you are heading with this one and you can just bloody well forget it.”

“Come on Severus every child should have a pet.”

“Harry has his owl.”

Harry had now managed to extricate himself from under the animal and went to sit back down, the cub happily trotting after him.

“Do not look at me like that Albus I mean it, I will not be manipulated by you or anyone else.”

“I do not know what you mean Severus,” replied Dumbledore blue eyes shinning a large smile on his face. 

 The cub had come over and placed its head on Snapes lap and was looking up at him. Snape pushed it away. 

“The same goes for you too, puppy dog eyes may work on most people but they will not work on me. Albus I will not have a wild animal in my quarters however ‘cute’ it may be.”

“So you agree he is cute” 

Snape scowled.

“Albus you can keep on until you are blue in the face. I will not have that animal in the dungeons."

Harry started laughing as the cub flopped down on the floor on its back with all four legs in the air and began to roll from side to side.

Harry knelt down and started to scratch his belly and just like a dog his back leg began to kick. 

“The boy seems to be quite taken with it though and he is such a friendly creature.”

“Albus I am not having our quarters smelling of wet dog.”

“Well technically as he is a wolf.”

“Do not get pedantic with me old man.” Snape growled. 

“And what happens when Harry and I are in class all day who is going to keep an eye on it then?  I won’t have it left alone to its own devices using anything it feels like as it’s own personal chew toy.” 

“He can stay with Hagrid I’m sure he won’t mind.” Harry said quietly 

 “And besides what happens when the novelty wears off? It will be left to me to tend to the animals needs and I have quite enough to do as it is. No its out if the question the animal should be running free in the forest not cooped up in a castle,” Snape carried on ignoring Harry. 

 “I promise I will feed him and walk him every day.” Harry said now going over to his guardian and trying the puppy dog look for himself. 

“Harry, take that look off your face I am not giving in on this. I do not like animals I certainly do not like wolves and I have no intention of taking a stray into my home.” 

“You took me,” Harry said. 

Snape now scowled at him. 

The door to the office opened and McGonagall entered. 

“Thank God,” said Snape, “back up.” 

The wolf went bounding over to greet the new comer. 

“SIT.”

 She said sharply as it went to jump up and turned and scowled at Dumbledore. 

“What is this thing still doing here? I thought you were going to return it to the forest last night.”

Snape gave Dumbledore a look that would have had a lesser man quaking in his shoes.

“You were going to get rid of it last night?” He asked. 

“I tried. I spent two hours trying to get the damn animal to stay in the forest but he kept following me. So in the end I gave in and brought him back here.”

Harry looked across at Snape and could not believe what he was seeing, tears of mirth were shinning in the dour mans’ eyes, threatening to spill over onto his face. 

“Well, well the master manipulator out maneuvered by a mutt.” Snape roared with laughter.

“Yes well how about we all have some breakfast before we decide what is to be done?” Dumbledore said rather embarrassed about being found out. 

Settling down again by the table Snape turned to Harry. 

 “There is nothing to be decided… "

There was a knock on the office door and before Albus could say anything it was flung open and in walked a stout man in a pinstriped suit carrying a green bowler hat. Following behind him a small witch who bore a remarkable resemblance to a toad.

Cornelius Fudge the Minister for Magic and his Undersecretary, Dolores Umbridge walked into the room as if they owned the place.

“Good morning Cornelius and to you to Dolores what brings you here so early may we offer you some breakfast?” Dumbledore asked jovially.

The minister of magic waved away the offer.

“No thank you Albus, this is not a social visit.”

The cub growled at the tone of voice coming from this man and slunk closer to Harry.

Harry placed his hand on his head to calm him

“Oh right so what can I do to help you?”

“Well I think perhaps Mr. Potter there would be better waiting outside as it is he we are here to discuss,” Fudge said.

Snape snapped at him. “Anything you have to say about my ward you can say in front of him and me.”

“That is just the thing Dumbledore had no right to appoint you as his guardian.” Dolores Umbridge said.

Fudge shot an annoyed look at her.

“Dumbledore did what was needed to get Harry out if that situation you were not there Minister, you did not see what those people did to him.” Snape replied completely ignoring the little witch.

“Yes well that’s as may be,” bustled the man unable to look Snape in the eye, “I believe that, and Dolores agrees, as do many others if you read today’s paper, that Mr. Potter should be placed with a more suitable person, someone perhaps appointed by the Ministry.”

“And certainly not a dea…” began Umbridge. 

 But Dumbledore cut her off.

“If you do not mind I will not have that term used in this office.” He said his eyes glowing dangerously now as he looked at her.

“The paper work required for Severus to become Harry’s legal guardian is all above board. It has been placed with the correct office within the Ministry.”

“Yes but Guardianships can be over turned quite easily Albus.” Fudge snapped, “and we believe that Harry would be better placed within a Ministry approved family.” 

“Ah but not this one Cornelius,” replied Dumbledore his smile sickly sweet, “I suggest that when you return to the office you check out the papers. You see knowing the Ministry would just have to interfere, I though it would be wise to have the guardianship sealed by strong magic, and therefore I sent it through Gringotts. So my dear Minister, there is nothing you can do. Severus is Harry’s legal guardian and shall remain so.” 

“But there are things Albus that even you have failed to think of,” Fudge said “there are ways to break the goblin guardian seal.” 

“Excuse me sir, Harry finally spoke up. “Does anyone actually care about what I want?” 

Fudge and Umbridge looked at Harry astounded that he should dare to actually address them.

“You are a child and as such you are unable to make such a decision.” Umbridge said talking down to him as one would to a toddler.

Harry was shaking were they really going to take him away from here? 

Snape put his hand on Harry’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze to try to calm and reassure him that all would be well. 

 The wolf cub picking up on the tension building in the room was growling softly but for the moment stayed behind Harry.

Umbridge began to close in on Harry and nervously Harry backed away. Snape stepped in front of him.

“Do not come any closer,” Snape snapped at the woman warningly. 

She stopped. “He is threatening me," she screeched.

McGonagall who had been watching the proceedings with increasing annoyance turned on the woman and said.

“Oh for heavens sake woman pull your head in, Severus is doing no such thing.” 

“The man is not stable, he should not be charged with the care of a minor and I am going to see to it that the boy is removed from Professor Snape’s guardianship.” 

“NO! Yelled Harry you are not taking me away from Severus. I want to stay with him you can’t take me away.” 

Umbridge then pushing Snape out of the way grabbed Harry who became hysterical. 

“You my boy will learn to listen to your elders and betters.” And she gave him a small shake. 

But before Snape or anyone else could do anything the wolf, seeing Harry being manhandled by the strange woman decided to take matters into its own paws.

He ran at Umbridge growling at her bearing all his teeth.

She let go of Harry’s shoulder and leapt back with a scream that would make a banshee jealous, he nipped around her heals playfully but still showing his teeth and growling. 

“Get that away from me,” she yelled as she turned and ran for the door with the cub following behind still nipping at her heels as she sped out of the room. They could hear her screams echoing through the empty corridors as the wolf continued to chase her through the school. 

Fudge started shouting.

“What on earth are you playing at Dumbledore, why have you got a wild animal in your chambers? If that creature harms Dolores in any way I will have it destroyed.” 

Snape stepped in front of the man and snarled.

“I have had just about enough of you, you pompous little arse. You have come in here and behaved reprehensively towards my ward and myself. And you have allowed a member of your staff to manhandle a child. You then threaten that child’s pet. And you are the person to whom we trust the running of our world. Let me tell you something now Fudge,” Snape was practically nose to nose with the Minister,  “You come within an inch of Harry again and I will hex you into the next millennium. “DO. I. MAKE. MYSELF. PERFECTLY. UNDERSTOOD?” 

Fudge just stood there his face pale twirling the green hat nervously and nodded. 

“I think perhaps we have said all that needs to be said Cornelius, so maybe now is the best time for you to take your leave. We will see you, no doubt, during the Dursley trials. But make no mistake any attempts to what is the term, oh yes throw a spanner in the works when it comes to Harry and Severus then you will see just how meddlesome I can become. Do I make myself perfectly clear?” 

Taking about all the threats he could for one morning Fudge placed his hat on his head and without another word left the room in search of his secretary. 

Snape sank down in a chair and placed his head in his hands. 

“Oh bloody hell” he said, “I can not believe I just did that.” 

“Did what, threaten the Minister of Magic?” McGonagall replied sitting down next to Snape and taking one of his shaking hands into hers. 

“No he said that I don’t really care about.” 

“What is the problem then?” McGonagall asked not understanding. 

 “I just said that that bloody wolf was Harry’s pet.” He replied groaning 

Dumbledore laughed and so did McGonagall but Harry was just sitting on a chair his green eyes full of apprehension. 

“Harry’” Snape said getting up and going over to placing a hand on his shoulder what is wrong?” 

“He is going to take me away from you isn’t he?” Harry said mumbling into his lap not able to look at Snape. 

Snape knelt down in front of him and took him into his arms. 

“Never Harry, I told you last night I would be here for you until the day I die and I meant it, besides you can not go anywhere you’ve got a new pet to take care of,” and he pulled him into a deep hug. 

“Hum, hum,” Dumbledore cleared his throat. “I think, ‘he said, “that as time has gone on, I should perhaps send down to the kitchens and we should have brunch now. I don’t know about you but I am feeling rather hungry after all that excitement.” 

The other three just nodded in agreement 

Then Harry pulled out of the hug. 

“What about the wolf?” he said, “what if that woman or Fudge has hurt him I should go and look for him.” 

Snape shook his head. “You will stay here and have some food Harry. You missed your meals yesterday you are not going to do so today.” 

“But what if…” Harry began to argue. 

“No you will do as you are told,” Snape said “that animal is perfectly capable of taking care of itself.” 

Harry looked pleadingly at the Headmaster.

“I tell you what Harry, he said, “what if he has not returned by the time we have had food then we will ALL go and look for him will that suit you?” 

Harry nodded gratefully at the Headmaster. 

"Right I will send down to the kitchens now before we have any more interruptions." Dumbledore said. 

Whilst they were waiting for the food to arrive they began to talk about the mornings events. 

Ten minutes later and the table was finally full of food.

Harry realising just how hungry he was piled his plate and began to eat, Snape gave him his potion 

“You still need this Harry,” he said but pleased to see the amount of food in front of the boy. 

Finally relaxing and enjoying his food Dumbledore was annoyed when the floo alarm sounded, “What now he moaned and got up from the table and went over to the fire. 

The head of Kingsley Shacklebolt appeared in the fire, his deep voice resonating through the room. “May I come through?” he asked

“Yes certainly.” Answered Dumbledore stepping out of the way and in a flash of green the large auror was standing in the office. 

“Is there a problem Kingsley?” Dumbledore asked. 

“I thought you might want to know that the date of the Dursley’s trial has been set. It is in front of the whole wizengamot in three weeks on the 19th of August.”

“Right thank you for telling us but that is not all is it?” Dumbledore asked noting that the auror seemed strangely agitated.

“No Albus it is not, it would seem that someone has come forward and placed a claim on Harry this morning”

Harry felt sick as he asked whom?

 Kingsley looked at him and said.

 “Miss Marjorie Dursley.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*