Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Story Notes:

Disclaimer:  I don't own anything from Harry Potter.

Chapter 1

Harry walked into the common room just after dinner. He was in a very foul mood. He had just had another encounter with Snape and found out that he could look forward to detention with him tomorrow, for no reason of course. Although, he had to admit, a part of him was grateful for it. If he was in Detention with Snape, he couldn't be with Umbridge. Detention with her made Snape's look like a walk in the park. His hand ached just thinking about the detention he had with her tonight.

When Harry got into the Common room, he found Ron and Hermione there. Hermione was reading her Hogwarts, A History for what had to be the millionth time and Ron was setting up his wizarding chess set. Some others were around as well, like Seamus, Dean, Neville, and a couple of first years.

"Hey, Harry. Want to play a game?" Ron asked.

"I'd love to, but I can't. I've got detention with Umbridge again," Harry said.

"Oh, right. I forgot," Ron said.

"I wish I could," Harry said.

"Well, maybe you wouldn't have detention if you'd stop lying," Seamus butted in.

"Why don't you shove off, Seamus. No one's talking to you," Ron said irritably.

Harry's already short temper began to flare. "I'm not lying! You don't know what the bloody hell you're talking about!"

"Yeah, right," Seamus said in disbelief before going back to whatever he was doing with Dean.

"Don't pay any attention to them, Harry. They'll realize the truth soon enough," Hermione asked.

"Yeah, and then they'll be begging your forgiveness. Then you can tell them to shove off," Ron said.

"Right. Well, I better get to Umbridge's office before I get yet another detention," Harry said.

"Harry, you really should talk to Dumbledore. Tell him what's going on," Hermione urged again. She'd said it before and she would say it again until Harry listened. Harry needed to tell a teacher about Umbridge so that they could put a stop to it.

Harry sighed in exasperation. "We've been through this, Hermione. Dumbledore can't do anything for me. He has no control over Umbridge. She's here because the Minister wants her here. You think if Dumbledore had any power, she could get away with all these decrees? Besides, Dumbledore still won't give me the time of day." Dumbledore had been blatantly ignoring him all year. He refused to even look at him. He wouldn't even stop to talk to him after his trial at the ministry this past summer.

Dumbledore wouldn't be able to ignore you if you brought this to his attention," Hermione said.

"It doesn't matter. He can't do anything. Look, I better get to detention," Harry said.

"That won't be necessary, Potter," A voice from behind Harry said.

Harry turned and was surprised to see Professor McGonagall there. "Professor, I didn't hear you come in. Did you just get here?" he asked, wondering if she'd heard any of their conversation about Umbridge.

Minerva raised an eyebrow. "Why? Is there something you didn't want me to here?"

Harry blushed. "No, of course not."

"Professor Umbridge will not be able to see you for detention tonight. She's gone to the Ministry on business for the evening, so you get a temporary reprieve," Minerva told him.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. It seemed this night wouldn't be completely terrible after all. He was free for the night. "Great. Thanks, Professor."

Minerva nodded and left the Common Room.

"Well, mate, it looks like you can play after all," Ron said.

Harry nodded and sat across from his best friend. The two played for about two hours, with Harry actually winning for once. "Wow, Mate, either I'm getting better or you're just off your game."

"Well, I had to let you win at least one," Ron joked. "Come on, let's go again."

"You know, instead of playing that pointless game, the two of you might try to get some homework done," Hermione lectured.

"Why would we want to do that? Homework is boring," Ron said.

"I don't know. Maybe so you don't fail your classes," Hermione said snidely

Ron was about to respond when he felt the room begin to shake a bit.

"What's that?" one of the first years asked from across the room.

"Don't worry, Firstie. It's probably just one of Fred and George's jokes," Ron said. He was pretty immune to his brother's tricks by now, so he wasn't very worried.

Hermione's face was very panicked. "This is no joke. It's..."

The shakes grew louder and more intense by the second. Suddenly things started flying all over the place. The tables and chairs tipped over, causing some to fall over and the windows started shattering.

Harry, who was right by the door found himself right in the path of glass. When he saw it coming towards him, he covered his face with his arms, causing several glass shards to imbed in his arms. He fell to the floor screaming in pain.

"Harry!" Hermione called out in concern. She'd barely gotten the word out before a portrait fell on top of her hard, knocking her unconscious.

The three first years ran and hid behind the biggest thing they could find in hopes that it would protect them.

Ron ran towards the common room door to try to get help, but halfway there, the light fixture in the middle of the room fell on top of him, knocking him out in the process.

Harry held his arms in agony. It hurt more than almost anything, with the exception being the Cruciatus curse. He looked around the room to see that the danger was far from over. Debris was flying everywhere. The last thing he saw before losing consciousness was parts of the ceiling cave in and come right for him.

___________


Severus was in his personal stores doing an inventory of his potion ingredients when he felt it. He knew exactly what those shakes were. Earthquakes were not unheard of around these parts, or anywhere really, but as far as he knew, they'd never happened at Hogwarts before.

Severus was about to run from the room. He knew it would be a bad idea for him to be this close to large heavy shelves while this was going on. Unfortunately, one of the shelves fell on top of him before he got the chance.

___________


Minerva was in Dumbledore's office discussing Umbridge. It was the only time they'd be able to without her possibly hearing. "I'm telling you, Albus, that woman has to go! She is destroying our school!"

"I agree with you, Minerva, but there's nothing I can do. Cornelius is responsible for her appointment. He's the only one that can fire her," Dumbledore said.

And he won't because he's a blubbering imbecile!" Minerva huffed.

Just then, they felt it. Severe shaking throughout the castle.

"What's that?" Minerva asked.

Before Dumbledore could answer, several of his things went flying across the room. He immediately got up and grabbed ahold of his colleague. "Get down!" he yelled before pulling her under his desk and covering her with his body, hoping that if the worst happened, he would catch the worst of it. Throughout all of it, he heard several screams through the castle, telling him that whatever was happening was affecting the entire castle.