Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

Severus stared in horror at the severely broken boy in front of him.  Whatever he expected to find when he managed to find when he unburied Potter was this.  The boy's arms were bleeding heavily from the countless glass shards imbedded in them.  Some of them were quite large.  His right leg was also at such an angle that Severus knew it was severely broken and he had a large gash on his head.

The boy's arms were Severus' biggest concern though.  His right arm was so damaged that he wasn't sure they would be able to save it.  That was if they could save his life.  The blood loss was profound and it didn't seem like it would be stopping anytime soon.  A glass shard had likely nicked a vain, causing it to bleed more than it normally would, not that that wouldn't have been bad enough. 

"Oh, Harry," Hermione cried. 

Severus contemplated what to do for a moment.  Normally it would be obvious.  Take the glass shards out and wrap the arms up to try to stop the bleeding.  Unfortunately, Potter was bleeding at an alarming rate.  Taking those shards out would cause him to bleed even further.  On the other hand though, wrapping Potter's arms up around the shards could push them in further, causing even further damage.

Making a split second decision, Severus took off his robe and used the cutting curse to cut it into strips.  "Granger, Finnegan to my right."

Both children obeyed with seconds.  "Granger, you're going to start pulling the glass shards out of that arm while I do the rest.  Finnegan and Thomas, the two of you are going to start wrapping these scraps around his arms as we finish with an area.  Work quickly, do not dawdle.  There is no time to waste!  Weasley, you can't help due to your injured wrist, but make yourself useful and search for anyone else.  That goes for the rest of you as well," he said glancing at the first and second years who were off to the side looking scared.  There was no time to coddle the younger years.  Lives hung in the balance.

"Yes, Professor," Ron said before getting up to do as he was told. 

Hermione and Severus quickly began taking out glass shards while Dean and Seamus wrapped Severus' robes around Harry's arms as they finished with each section.

"Professor, this one is big," Hermione said. 

Severus looked to see a very large piece of glass imbedded in Potter's arm.  If it was taken out, the blood loss would be most severe.  "Leave it in.  Wrap around it."

They all heard a small groan from nearby.  It was from Neville. 

Ron, who had just finished liberating too third years, was by his side within seconds.  "Hey, man.  You okay?"

"My back, it kills," Neville groaned.

"Do not let him move, Weasley!" Severus called without turning away from his task.  He couldn't stop what he was doing, but he wanted to make sure Longbottom wasn't moved.  He already appeared to be at risk for a spinal injury.  The last thing they needed was to increase those odds.

"Should one of us go help him, Professor?" Dean asked.

"No one moves from their task, Thomas.  Longbottom will live, Potter may not," Severus said seriously as he continued to pull out glass shards.  It was amazing how many there actually were.  Potter had to have been right next to the window for this to happen.

"Professor, how are going to get out of her after we're done here?" Hermione asked.

Severus didn't answer.  He didn't answer.  He supposed he could summon brooms and get most of them out, but it wouldn't be that simple for Potter and Longbottom.  Both had injuries that required them to be moved very delicately.

Meanwhile, Ron sat by Neville's side.  "Hang in there, mate.  It's gonna be okay."  He wasn't sure how true that actually was.  Right now it all seemed pretty hopeless.  They were trapped in the Common Room with no way out and at least one life was serious danger.

Ron shuddered at his last thought.  His best friend was just a few feet away fighting for his life and there was absolutely nothing he could do to help him.  It wasn't the first time Harry's life had been in danger, but it was the first he was so gravely injured and it was the first time Ron had a front row seat with no way to help his friend. 

"Did I hear somebody say Harry's name.  Is he okay?" Neville asked weakly. 

Ron looked back to where Snape and his housemates were still working to save is friend's life.  "I don't know.  He's hurt bad."

"How many others are hurt?" Neville asked.

"We haven't found everyone yet," Ron said.  Honestly, he didn't think they would find everyone.  There were probably quite a few who had made it into the dorms before the earthquake.  There was no getting them out.  They were completely caved in.  They probably had not survived. 

"Well, go look.  There's nothing you can do for me.  Go help the others," Neville told him. 

"Okay, just don't move, alright?  You could hurt yourself worse," Ron said.

Neville nodded.

Ron got up and went back to the task of moving debris around to try to find more victims.

Back with Harry, Severus had just finished taking the last glass shard out and Seamus quickly wrapped it up. 

Hermione finished as well.  "What now, Professor?" Hermione asked. 

"Go help the others.  I'll stay with Potter," Severus told them.

They all got up and walked away, Hermione very reluctantly. 

Severus looked down at the Potter boy.  The child looked so weak and frail.  It was a far cry from the boy he was used to.  He was used to a James Potter clone strutting around the castle like he owned it.  But right now he couldn't seem to see that boy.  He didn't see James Potter when he looked at the boy.  He didn't even see Lily.  All he saw now was a child that was inches away from death.  A child who would more than likely die unless help arrived soon.