Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 8

 

Dumbledore was by the entrance leading a few more students that had been located out of the building when Remus and Tonks came over.  They both looked sad and particularly haunted.  "What is it?  What happened?"

"We found two more.  Both dead," Remus said sadly.

Dumbledore sighed sadly.  There was no sign of the twinkle his eyes held just a few hours ago.  He of course knew that not everyone would make it, but hearing about dead children was still debilitating, even if it was expected.  "Do you know who they were?"

"I recognized one of them.  McLaggen, I believe his name was.  The other was a first or second year.  I wouldn't know," Remus said.

"Out of the way!" Someone yelled.

They all moved aside to see Amelia Bones and Kinsley coming through with a levitated Dennis Creevey.  The boy had a large gash on his head and was unconscious.

"How bad is he?" Dumbledore asked.

"His pulse is weak.  We have to get to St. Mungo's," Amelia said before taking the boy out of the castle.

Arthur soon joined Dumbledore, Remus, and Tonks.  "Is there any news about the Gryffindor students?"

Dumbledore was about to answer in the negative when Sir Nickolas appeared.  "Sir Nickolas, do you have any news for us."

"Yes, but nothing good, Headmaster.  It is imperative that you get into Gryffindor, and Ravenclaw for that matter," Nick said.  He'd done a swift check of Ravenclaw after leaving Gryffindor.  They weren't fairing much better. 

Dumbledore mentally prepared himself for what he was about to here.  "Tell us."

"Gryffindor is in bad shape.  So far only ten to twelve have been rescued," Nick said.

"Ron?  Ginny?" Arthur asked hopefully. 

"Both.  They seem okay.  Though Young Ginny appears to have a concussion," Nick said.

Arthur breathed a sigh of relief.  While a concussion did concern him a bit, it could've easily been a lot worse.

"What about Harry?" Remus asked.  His best friend's son had been weighing heavily on his heart since he'd learned of this disaster.  He'd tried not to think the worst, but his mind couldn't help but wander, especially after finding those two unfortunate students. 

"He is among those found," Nick said carefully.

Remus didn't like the ghost's tone.  It left him feeling very worried about his young cub.  "Is he alive?"

"He is, but he's in trouble," Nick said.

"What kind of trouble?" Dumbledore asked worriedly. 

"The kind that would have him joining me should he not get help soon.  His arms are bleeding badly and he's extremely pale.  Professor Snape told me to tell you that if we don't get them out of there soon, Harry will not survive," Nick relayed.

"Oh Merlin.  This can't be happening.  Not Harry," Remus said quietly.  He couldn't lose Harry and neither could Sirius.  Neither of them would survive that.

"Neville Longbottom is also in need of serious medical attention.  He's hurt his back badly," Nick said. 

"Are there any casualties?" Dumbledore asked. 

"Too many to count.  The dorms were completely destroyed.  Whoever was in there was certainly killed," Nick said sadly.

Dumbledore took a moment to mourn those students before speaking again.  "You said Ravenclaw wasn't much better."

"There's a bit trapped too, not as bad as Gryffindor though.  There are some seriously injured... and some dead," Nick said glumly.

"How many?" Dumbledore asked.

"At least five."

Dumbledore sighed.  "Alright, we must get in to both houses.  Let's round up everyone.  Half will work to free Ravenclaw and the other half will do the same for Gryffindor."

"I get everyone for you, Headmaster," Nick said before gliding away. 

 

___________

 

Ten minutes later, Dumbledore, Minerva, Remus, and Arthur were outside Gryffindor tower.  The others were trying to free the Ravenclaw students. 

"What should we do, Albus?  Do we use a blasting curse?" Arthur asked

Dumbledore shook his head.  "No, the building is unstable enough as it is.  The dungeons have already fallen.  The last thing we need is for Gryffindor tower to collapse because we performed such a destructive spell."

"So what do we do?" Minerva asked. 

"We dig them out the muggle way," Dumbledore said.  It wasn't exactly the fasted option, but it was the safest one they had.  He couldn't rest the lives inside that tower by trying to force their way in there. 

"Albus, that could take hours," Minerva said.

"Yeah, what if Harry can't make it that long?" Remus asked.  By Sir Nicholas' own words, Harry was in grave danger.  The longer they waited, the less likely he was to survive."

Dumbledore sighed.  Harry's fate did weigh heavily on him.  He would never admit to anyone, but Harry was one of his favorites.  The thought of him not surviving wasn't something he wanted to think about.  But forcing their way in there and possibly bringing the ceiling down wouldn't help Harry anymore than the rest of his housemates. "We're just going to have to pray that he can."

 

___________

 

 Everything was mostly quiet inside Gryffindor.  All the students found were seated on varies parts of the floor.  They'd given up searched about twenty minutes earlier.  They weren't finding anything but bodies now.  It was decided that they'd rescued everyone they could.

Severus remained by Harry's side, keeping vigilant watch over him condition, which was deteriorating fast.  The boy grew paler by the second and his breathing was very labored.  The bleeding of his arms had not subsided either.

Severus stared at the boy and sighed.  He knew that this was it.  Potter's life was slipping away from him by the second, and it was almost over.  They had maybe minutes left before the world's hero would be taken from them, not by the Dark Lord, but by something as unpredictable as a natural disaster.  Minutes before a young boy, who had his whole life ahead of him, had that life tragically taken from him, just as so many others had on this night.

Severus found himself thinking back to that fateful Halloween night when he'd walked into Godric's Hollow to find his precious Lily dead on the ground.  It was by far the most memory he had.  But it wouldn't be for long.  As agonizing as that memory was, watching her son die would be much worse.  Not because the boy meant more to him, but because it meant he broke his promise.  After Lily had died, he promised to protect her son, to keep him alive.  His promise would be broken the second Potter took his last breath, which could literally be any minute.

He shook his head.  No, he couldn't let that happen.  He'd failed Lily, but he could not and would not fail her son.  Potter still had a chance.  All Severus had to do was find some way to get him out.

Severus looked to the door.  It was of course no more accessible than before.  He could get it accessible though.  He could use magic to blast the debris away and clear a path.  However, it was a very big risk.  The castle was very unstable.  If he cast such a spell, it could make it even worse.  But if he didn't, Potter would die.  That wasn't something he could allow to happen.  Yes, others could be killed by him doing this, but if he didn't Potter would be killed.  There were no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Severus stood up and  saw Finnegan, Thomas, and three first years close to the doorway.  "You lot, get away from there."

They immediately scurried to the other side of the room as fast as they could. 

"What are you going to do, Professor?" Hermione asked.  She was on the other side of Harry. 

"What I must," Severus said simply before pointed his wand at the entrance and shot off a Reducto at it, all the while praying that he wasn't making a terrible mistake.