Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Snarls in Detention

 

 

Professor Severus Snape smirked with smug satisfaction as he watched the small dark head bent industriously over the potion stained and scuffed work table. He always saved the more disgusting ingredients that needed preparing for Gryffindor detentions, especially for the Brat-who-lived. He always received such feelings of joy when meting out a detention to the little spawn of Satan. It was an especially sweet feeling if the detention was slightly unfair. Considering how many well-deserved detentions the elder Potter had unfairly dodged; it made Severus feel as though the scales of justice were finally balancing out just a bit. Just because Severus was sworn to protect the brat didn't mean he had to be nice to him or even like him. He tried very hard not to think about what Lily would say if she knew how unfair and cruel he could be toward her son.

Harry wrinkled his nose as he carefully sliced the pungent smelling, fermented mermaid ovum. It seemed like Professor Snape was always in need of the most smelly and gross ingredients when Harry had a detention, but he was just happy he wasn't alone in the dungeons. He was still inwardly terrified about horrible thing had been possibly stalking him in the dungeons earlier in the week, but he kept it to himself. What if Snape or the other grown-ups thought he had lost his marbles? Was there some sort of place they put wizards who had gone mad? He was sure there must be; who would want a crazy person lurking about who could do magic as well?

Harry was mulling over the implications of a magical asylum when he heard a low growl and for once it wasn't his own stomach. Harry glanced up sharply, looking quickly around the room and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Professor Snape was still sitting at his desk, busily marking papers. Perhaps the surly man needed a quick snack? Harry shrugged and went back to his task, but a few seconds later there was another closer growl.

"Potter! Can you manage to keep your body functions under control? Did you even bother to eat supper before you came to detention or were you too busy plotting mischief with your little cohorts?"

"It wasn't me, sir!" Harry replied, startled.

"Do. Not. Lie to me," Professor Snape hissed as he stood. As the scowling man moved to walk from behind his desk, there was suddenly a loud snarl and a scuffling noise. This time the noise was very close to Professor Snape's desk. The teacher quickly pulled his wand seemingly out of nowhere and was scanning the room with a sharp eye. Harry suddenly had a awful feeling settle in his stomach. He was almost certain the unseen origins of the growling and snarling was also the thing that had been in the trick stair and was also the thing that stalked him in the dark hallways of the dungeons. Had Harry somehow released a sinister creature from its prison?

"Potter, if this is one of your little tricks, I assure you-"

Harry never did find out what his teacher could assure him, because at that moment, Professor Snape looked down at the floor and he suddenly had the most perplexed look on his sallow face.

"What in bloody hell?"

Harry strained to see around the tables what had caused his professor to use the most uncharacteristic language. Unfortunately, the teacher's desk was blocking his view. Risking Professor Snape's wrath Harry stood and moved toward the front of the room. Before he could take more than a few steps, there was another loud snarl and the sound of ripping cloth. Harry's mouth fell open as his surly teacher was suddenly yanked down out of sight behind his desk. The Gryffindor sprinted around the desk to help his teacher and was completely appalled at what he saw.

Tag JA!