Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Canon in D: A "What's Owed" Drabble

Disclaimer: JK Rowling's characters.

Soth-ince Den, Lizard's Point, Cornwall, August 1997 (14)

"Dad."

Snape recognized that tone. Lying on the sofa, he flung his book to the floor and sat up, opening his arms for Harry to come to him.

"Daddy..."

Snape cursed and vaulted off the sofa toward Harry. Draco, coming in from the kitchen, let his butterbeer slide through his fingers and crash to the floor. He dashed to support Harry when the boy's knees buckled. Snape, already halfway there, caught both boys up in his arms.

Maybe it won't happen, he thought, as the seconds ticked by. Maybe it's a false alarm. Then Harry began to vibrate between the two Slytherins.

"Goddamn it!" Snape growled. Harry needed to lie flat, quickly. Snape tightened his grip on the boys, suddenly, inexplicably uncertain of what to do.

"Dad," said Draco, getting Snape's attention, "lie down on the floor with him."

"I -" Snape's eyes roamed the room blankly, as if hoping for another suggestion.

"Dad! We have to get him on the floor! Now!"

"Draco... Yes... Yes, all right. Help me."

Together, they gently maneuvered Harry onto the floor. Snape lay down beside him and cradled Harry's head to his chest while Draco flipped Harry's trainers off his feet.

"His glasses," Snape said. Draco plucked them free. The instant he set them on the coffee table, Harry stiffened and his eyes rolled into the back of his head; Snape uttered a sob and let him go. Draco collapsed to his knees, at Harry's shoulder.

It didn't matter how many times they had been through this; each time felt as horrifying as the first. No matter how prepared they believed themselves to be, no matter how stoic they tried to be, it still caught them off guard.

Snape lowered his forehead to speak into Harry's ear. "It's okay... You're okay..." he whispered fiercely over and over.

Harry began to hiss through his clenched jaw, as if trying to speak. His face reddened and spittle bubbled at the edges of his mouth. Draco knew then the seizure was seconds from being over. A moment later, the tension in Harry's body began to ease. Draco uttered a soft curse; he dropped his face into his hands, sniffling. Snape continued his mantra: "It's okay... You're okay..."

Minutes passed.

"I'm... okay. I'm... okay." Harry began to chant in slurred syllables along with Snape. He did this after each of these seizures, fingers reflexively squeezing Snape's chest or Draco's hand as his green eyes slowly lost that horrid glassy, unfocused look.

"I'm okay." A bit clearer than before. "I'm okay... Dad?"

"I'm here," Snape said before planting a soft kiss on Harry's forehead. "Rest now." He began to sing softly, lulling the boy to sleep.

*WO

The End.