Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Up Close and Personal

When the food had arrived and been checked thoroughly for poison, Harry dug in eagerly. He was so hungry he barely noticed the awkward atmosphere.

He and Snape ate together in silence, sitting either end of the kitchen table. Snape was only picking at his own food, keeping an eye on Harry. He found this rather unsettling.

“I think Albus is right,” Snape said finally, as Harry scraped the last of his meal off his plate.

“About what?”

“About you eating here from now on.”

Harry’s heart sank. The last thing he wanted was to be excluded from the Great Hall every mealtime. And if it was this awkward here …

“It’s for your own good,” Snape said in a softer voice, as if he knew exactly what Harry was thinking. “It will be much harder to poison you if you’re here.”

“Doesn’t that risk people wondering why I’m visiting you so much?” Harry said in a low tone.

Snape hesitated. “Well … it’s not exactly a secret that Black is after you.” Harry clenched his hands on the tabletop. “I’m sure, were someone to find out, the arrangement wouldn’t be questioned as the last place anyone would expect you to be dining.”

That was true, but Harry still didn’t like it. He stood up, and Snape followed suit.

“I’ll think about it.” After a moment’s pause, he said in a stiff, awkward tone, “Thanks.”

-

Severus sighed as Harry and Lyle left his rooms. That hadn’t ended as well as he’d hoped. Parenting up close was a lot more complicated than parenting at a distance. Right now, he was sure he was messing it up. Granted, he couldn’t put his finger on what exactly it was he was doing wrong—but things still felt awkward between them, even with everything out in the open. Should maybe he have said he wanted Harry to spend time with him? Or would his son have taken such a statement badly?

Not for the first time, Severus wished—much like Harry—that he could discuss the matter with someone; a friend. But what could he say?

“Albus … I need your help. I feel like I’m failing as a father to Harry. Yes, Harry Potter. No, I don’t despise him; I love him. Any advice?”

His long-practised habit of keeping his innermost emotions hidden, cringed at the thought.

No … he’d work it out. He probably just needed to give it some time. He couldn’t go running for help every time things got tense—he was Harry’s father; he needed to be the one to solve their own issues.

-

Lost in thought over Snape’s proposal, Harry was taken off-guard when, upon exiting the office, someone pounced on him.

Gotcha!

“What—?” Harry shook off the twins, and looked from one grinning face to the other.

“So come on Harry; spill,” George said with a grin.

“Spill what?”

“We know you were in Snape’s quarters. Why?”

“How d’you—”

The twins tapped their noses as one. “Ways and means, Potter.”

“Didn’t Snape say when he caught you two the other day?” Harry asked slowly.

“He said you were having extra Potions to catch up.”

“But we know that’s not it,” Fred said. “You wouldn’t be in his quarters. We’ve been watching you.”

“How?”

“Never you mind. Besides, you came in shouting about some queen.”

“Queen?” Harry thought fast. “No, not queen. Keen. As in, keen on something.”

“So what was the shouting match about?”

“We’ll just keep asking till you tell,” George insisted.

Harry hesitated. “All right … but swear you won’t tell anyone.”

“Promise,” they said together.

“I found out Snape and my mum were friends—a long time ago. The yelling in question was when I found out my mum had been keen on him. They dated.”

Two identical mouths fell open. “Your poor mum,” they said together.

“How’d you know where I was, anyway?” Harry demanded.

Fred and George held a whispered debate before turning back to him. “Same way we know Lyle Mentuta is standing behind you.”

“What?” Harry said in alarm. “How?”

“Now you have to promise not to tell anyone.”

“All right, I promise,” Harry said curiously.

“What about your invisible friend?”

“I also promise,” Lyle said, making all three of them jump.

Fred pulled a large piece of parchment out of his pocket and unfolded it. “Magical map of Hogwarts. It shows where everyone is at any time. Even invisible people.”

“May I?” Harry turned round to see Lyle, now visible, holding out his hand for the map. Fred and George hesitated.

“Erm …”

“I have no intention of permanently relieving you of it; however you must surely see it would be an invaluable tool in the recapture of Sirius Black,” Lyle pointed out.

Fred and George looked at each other. “Didn’t think of that,” Fred murmured.

“Sorry, but who exactly are you?” George asked with narrowed eyes. “You’re not a member of staff.”

Lyle hesitated, so Harry spoke up. “He’s my bodyguard.”

“Bodyguard?”

“Dumbledore thought it would be a good idea,” Harry said, not exactly lying. “Keep it to yourself, guys, OK?”

“Yeah, ‘course we will.” The twins looked at each other, and then Fred handed the map over.

“We’ve never seen Black on it,” George said. “We’d have told someone if we did. But then we don’t look at it all the time.”

Lyle scanned the map thoroughly; Harry watched him, knowing somehow that he wasn’t looking for Black.

-

Hermione was about to give the Fat Lady the password when she heard her name being called, and turned round to find Lupin hurrying after her.

“Do you know where I can find Harry?” he asked. “He asked to see me about his homework, but he didn’t show up.”

“Sorry, Professor,” Hermione replied. “Snape dragged him off dinnertime and I haven’t seen him since.”

Lupin raised an eyebrow slightly. “Professor Snape, Hermione. I’m surprised at you; usually you’re the last student I’d have to rebuke for lack of respect.”

“Respect. Right,” Hermione muttered. “Maybe I’ll respect him when he respects us.”

“Is everything all right?” Lupin asked gently.

“Why shouldn’t it be?”

“Because, coming from you, that tells me you think Professor Snape has done something very bad.” Lupin scrutinised her closely. “What’s wrong?”

“Well …” Hermione hesitated. “He told Harry something horrible. I don’t even know if it’s true, but if it is, he still shouldn’t have done it. It’s been eating him up; Harry hasn’t been himself for days. I’m afraid he might even do something stupid and get himself … hurt.”

“What was it?”

“Er … Professor, what do you know about Sirius Black?”

An odd, closed look came over Lupin’s face. “Why do you ask?”

“Do you know about—about Harry’s parents?” Hermione said carefully.

There was a long pause. “You mean that he betrayed them?” His tone was cool.

“Yes,” Hermione said. “Snape told him and …”

“And Harry’s not taking it very well,” Lupin finished. “Understandable. I will have a word with him.”

“Who, Harry or Snape?”

“Both, if I must. Thank you for being honest with me, Hermione.”

She nodded. “Just—Professor—”

“Yes?”

“I’m scared Harry might try to go after Black.”

Lupin shook his head. “I think between us, we can prevent such a disaster happening. Just … be there for him, Hermione. Ron as well. Believe me, he needs you both right now.”

-

To take his mind off his dilemma, Harry was lying back on his bed, attempting to breathe fire on demand. Lyle was watching, and Harry could tell he was amused at his efforts.

“Sire, if you’ll just let me—”

“No thanks,” Harry said again. “I’m gonna figure this one out on my own.” He could have sworn his bodyguard suppressed a chuckle as Harry’s next frenzied exhale came closer to blowing a raspberry. But still, not even the tiniest flame.

“Harry?”

Lyle disappeared and Harry sat up quickly as Ron entered the dormitory. “What are you doing?”

“Nothing,” Harry said quickly.

“Right … well, Hermione says Lupin’s looking for you.”

“Oh!” Harry jumped off his bed. “I’d better go before curfew. See you later, Ron.”

He hurried out of Gryffindor Tower, and nearly collided with Lupin in the next corridor. “Ah, there you are Harry!”

“Sorry, Professor,” Harry gasped. “I forgot.”

“No matter; I understand. Shall we?”

They walked to Lupin’s office in comfortable silence. Harry found himself wishing—rather unfairly, he knew—that Lupin had been the one to turn out to be his father. There was no awkwardness there; no cruel façade; and no doubt that Lupin cared.

He was hit again with the urge to spill everything on his mind; but bit his tongue. He had promised Snape he wouldn’t confide in Lupin. What Snape had against the man, he had no idea; but Harry wouldn’t break his word. No matter how much he wanted to.