Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
This is based on the universe in the story that I’m writing for Snapegirl’s challenge: “Moony and Sev’s Child.” I probably won’t ever finish that one!
Last Christmas

"Do you want a spanking, little boy?" Severus asked staring down imperiously at his naughty son.

Harry clamped his hands over his little bottom and shook his head emphatically. "No, Daddy." Severus glanced toward Remus who was trying not to laugh and placed his hand over his mouth, pretending to yawn, so that Harry wouldn't see him snicker. The little boy was just so cute in his Christmas pajamas.

After gaining control over his desire to laugh, Snape pointed down the hall and answered, "Then go to your room, get in bed, and stay there."

Harry turned and rushed down the hall, but he paused at his door and looked back at Severus, "You wouldn't really spank me on Christmas. Would you?"

"I sincerely hope I won't have to. Let's hope that Santa doesn't leave you with a stocking full of coal and switches." Harry had the audacity to giggle as he turned and ran into his room. Severus turned to see a smiling Remus patting the sofa to encourage him to sit down. "That was the fourth time. It's your turn if he gets up again."

"That's not fair Sev. You can't threaten him with a spanking and then leave me to carry it out."

"I don't recall threatening him. I simply asked if he would like one," Snape snickered. "You wouldn't spank him on Christmas, would you?"

"Good point. Have some cocoa. He should be asleep in another hour or so and then we can fill his stocking and get some rest."

Severus sipped his cocoa and admired the nine beautifully wrapped presents under the tree. Last Christmas Harry had unwittingly started a Christmas tradition. Severus and Remus had both bought the little boy too many presents. Perhaps it was because they felt sorry about Voldemort's attack, perhaps they were trying to buy his affection, or perhaps they both just loved to shop. It didn't really matter. Harry had stared at his huge pile of gifts on Christmas morning. "This too many," he said as he distributed three gifts to Severus, three to Remus, and three to himself. "Three each. That fair," he added.

"What about the rest?" questioned Severus.

"For Daddy's snakes." Remus and Severus had eyed each other.

"Well if that's what you want, but I'd like you to have this." Severus quickly switched a gift with one of the three that Harry had in his pile.

"This one, too," Remus made another change.

Remus and Severus had watched as Harry opened his three gifts. The first was a Toddler Broom from Remus. It had several charms to keep Harry safe, including a sticking charm to keep the child on the broom and a fly low and slow charm. The second was a Potion Kit for Early Beginners from Severus. It had a cauldron, a stirring stick, and several plastic ingredients including newt's eyes and frog guts. The third gift was a plush deer with a lily embroidered on its hip. "Where did you find that?" Severus had asked Remus.

"I didn't get that for him. I thought you did."

"I did. I got it for me," laughed Harry.

That's when Severus and Remus decided that each year they would each get Harry one gift and he would choose one for himself. They would do the same for each other. That way each person would receive a gift from the other two. The Slytherins would also receive a small, but more appropriate gift each year. (What would his Slytherins think when they received children's books, blocks, and tub toys?)

As Snape considered the past year, he realized that he was really starting to feel comfortable with his life. He had been nervous about being a father, but he enjoyed Harry who was precocious and delightfully cheeky. Severus was also growing used to having Remus around. Remus was fantastic with Harry and always respected the father and son relationship that was growing between Harry and Severus.

Just then, Remus turned to Severus, "What are you thinking about?"

"Hmmm, oh, I was just wondering if he's asleep yet. I'll check." Severus got up and walked softly to Harry's room. Although his covers were askew and his left leg was hanging over the edge of the bed, Harry was sound asleep. Severus gently tucked the child in, kissed him on the forehead, and placed a one-way silencing spell on Harry's room. That way they could hear Harry, but Harry couldn't hear them.

When he came back to the living room Remus headed to the closet to get out the gifts they had purchased for Harry's stocking. They made quick work of filling the stocking, which had been charmed to be "wizard space." (Perhaps they hadn't cut down on the gifts as much as they meant to.) The two men said goodnight and headed for bed. Tomorrow would be an early morning.

The End.