Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Saturday Shopping

Snape arrived to collect Harry for their shopping expedition on Saturday, and made time to enquire how Vernon was behaving towards him.

“He’s been quite quiet,” said Harry. “Says ‘Ouch’ a lot though.”

Snape smirked. My spell is working then.

“But, sir, I haven’t got any money to go shopping with,” Harry worriedly told Snape.

“Look upon today as an early Christmas present. Now, let’s get going,” Snape replied, ignoring the slightly puzzled expression on the child’s face as he ushered him out of the door. 

Snape and Harry turned into the little secluded path, and Snape offered Harry a small phial. “Drink this, please.”

“What is it?” said the boy suspiciously.

“A stomach soother. It should prevent you from feeling sick when I Apparate us to Diagon Alley. That’s a magical way to travel by the way.”

“I don’t get travel sick, that’s Dudley,” said Harry confidently.

“Drink it please. I do not want to risk any accidents,” said Snape sternly.

They arrived in a quiet alcove, where Harry leant against the wall and took some deep breaths. “Don’t like that,” he said.

“You’ll get used to it,” Snape told him, “but aren’t you glad you drank the potion as I instructed?”

“Yeah,” Harry grinned, as colour returned to his cheeks. “You were right.”

**

They walked along Diagon Alley, Harry excitedly trying to take in everything on both sides of the street. Snape remembered his first visit with his own mother so many years ago, and let the child feast his eyes on the sights and soak up the atmosphere without interrupting him with explanations.

After they had spent several minutes admiring the huge tree that stood glittering and sparkling outside Gringotts, Snape pushed on with the business of the day.

“First stop, duvet and covers,” he said. “Now, Minerva has told me what we must get. Ah, yes, this looks like it.”

Harry looked hopefully at the display of duvet covers and sheets that were lined up along the aisle.

“Look,” he exclaimed. “Owls, are they constellations? What are these?” He gravitated to a set detailing Quidditch equipment. “Ooh, look. Dragons on that one!”

Snape had to admit that Minerva had been right. This brand would appeal to Harry, and give him some basic education useful in the wizarding world.

“Which do you prefer, Mr Potter?” he asked, trying not to smile as the child looked at first one design then another, clearly unable to decide.

Putting Harry out of his misery, he explained. “Actually you don’t have to choose. This set will change pattern when you hold the tag and wish. There are seven different designs, and the sheet colours will change each time too.”

Harry’s grin nearly split his face. “I love magic!” he declared, bouncing up and down.

Taking the covers, and a nice thick duvet and pillow along with a soft rug to the cash desk, Snape paid for their selection, then shrank the purchases and stowed them in his pocket.

Harry gaped. “Where did it all go?”

“More magic, Mr Potter. Don’t worry - you’ll get everything back properly sized when we return to Privet Drive.”

Harry just shook his head in wonder.

“Oh, hello Professor Snape!” exclaimed the short, rather dumpy, red headed witch who had almost collided with Snape and Harry as she emerged from delving into the depths of the bargain bin triumphantly clutching a bright orange set of bed linen.

“My Ronnie loves the Chudley Cannons,” she explained as Snape raised his eyebrows at her trophy. “Who is this young man, Professor? Have you been keeping secrets? Oh, my goodness…. is it……? It is!”

She enveloped a startled Harry in what would be the first of many bear hugs he would receive from her over the years to come.

“Let the child breathe, madam,” ordered Snape as Harry began to squirm uncomfortably. “It’s his first re-introduction to the magical world today, you don’t want to put him off.”

“Sorry, Harry dear,” Mrs Weasley apologised as she released him. “I’m just so pleased to see you again. You were a little baby in your mum’s arms, and look at you now!” Harry smiled uncertainly as he sidled closer to Snape, who rested his hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“Actually,” said the Professor, “perhaps you could tell us the best place on the Alley to buy some Muggle style clothes?”

“Yes, of course. Don’t go to Gladrags or Madam Malkin. You don’t want anything too expensive as I’m sure Harry is about to start growing like a weed. Try the little cul de sac just past Eeylops.”

**

The pair finished up at Fortescue’s ice cream shop which diversified its menu in the winter months. After all, even a Hogwarts Professor wouldn’t consider a holiday visit to Diagon Alley complete without sampling one of Florean’s confections.

“For me?” Harry’s eyes nearly popped out of his head when the treat of a big mug of creamy hot chocolate decorated with marshmallows and extra chocolate sprinkles arrived at their table.

“Gosh, thank you sir,” he whispered, looking at the treat in awe. “Are you sure?”

**

Back at Privet Drive, which was happily still Dursley free, Snape unshrunk their purchases and helped Harry to set his new bedroom up. A huge smile lit Harry’s face, especially when Severus told him that he had cast protective spells to prevent damage or theft.

“Thank you, thank you – it’s brilliant! Duddy will be so envious! Um, sir…” Harry hesitated, before continuing, “would you like to come to our nativity play? They gave us all two tickets, but ….. you don’t have to say yes. Aunt Petunia said I shouldn’t ask.”