Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

The pair entered the house. Severus withdrew his wand to cast lumos but Eileen bought up the light with a wave of her hand. The inside was decorated as well. Red and green tinsel wound its way along the bannister to the first floor. Sprigs of holly adorned the many pictures the lined the walls or the entrance way and the hall. Severus saw that everyone featured a chubby, blonde in various stages of baby, toddler and early childhood. Some of the pictures also an obese man obviously the father and a skinny horse faced woman, “Petunia,” he spat.

‘It figured that Tunney would insist on her brat hanging on the wall. Potter’s must be in the sitting room where they can be seen all the time,’ Snape thought.

With a gentle hand Eileen guided her son into the family room. A tree that was taller than Severus by at least a foot dominated the room. It was beautifully decorated with what appeared to be hand blown glass ornaments. A multitude of fairy light flashed rainbows of colours through and off the decorations. Around it was a massive pile of presents. The professor could not believe how spoilt Potter was. No doubt there were some there for Petunia’s little family but the majority must surely be for the boy.

Footsteps were soon heard on the landing. The unseen couple turned in time to see Petunia walk down the stairs and turn into the hallway. She stopped at a small cupboard built under the stairs to utilise the space. There had been one at Spinner’s End as well. The woman rapped once on the door before sliding the bolt to unlatch it. Opening the door she walked away.

Severus gasped when a small messy haired child emerged from within. He quickly followed the child as he dashed to a small washroom off the laundry. He noted the child only used cold water to wash with and very little at that. As the child returned to the kitchen he went back to the hall to check the cupboard.

He recognised the tatty blue blanket that was folded neatly on the small mattress, he had sent it to Lily after her baby had been born. In one corner was a pile of neatly folded clothes that would have made better rags than clothes. A few small, broken toys lined one of the bare struts that supported the stairs.

Hearing the sound of pots and pans Severus turned his attention to the kitchen. “Dudders wants a full breakfast with chocolate pancakes. Your Uncle wants a full breakfast as well with poached eggs and Eggs Benedict. I’ll have Eggs Florentine and toast. Milk, orange and apple juice for Duddykins. Earl Grey tea and Jamaican Blue coffee for your uncle and I,” Petunia said matter-of-factly.

“Yes Aunt Petunia,” the boy said flatly.