Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9

Severus Snape awoke to a darkened, chilled room. He was still in his chair where he had been before Lily attacked him. A dream it must have been a dream, he thought as he cast incendio at the hearth. The flash of blue flame showed a pool of ink, glittering glass shards shone within the blackness.

He spelled the lights on and looked about. There was the second one smashed upon the wall next to the fire place. The cushion Lily had beaten him with lay forgotten on the floor. He picked it up and was surprised that it smelled faintly of her favourite perfume. Not a dream but a very real wake up call.

He had failed his one true friend again. He had let his hatred guide him instead of her love. She had given him yet another chance and he wasn’t screwing it up this time. He hurriedly conjured a patronus and sent it off to Hagrid. He called a house elf and asked the little creature if he and some of his friends would like to help him. Snape had to enervate the poor thing after he explained just what he wanted done. Grabbing his winter cloak, scarf and gloves he left the warmth of his room for the cold outside and Hagrid’s hut.

***

Rubeus Hagrid was a half giant with a heart just as big. He had been rather surprised to be woken up by the Potions Master’s doe patronus. Always eager to help he had risen from his bed and dressed quickly. He didn’t understand why the dour man was wanting to find a tree at this hour of the morning but he would help. He hurried to open the door at the quiet knock that sounded through the room.

“Sev’rus,” he greeted the other man.

“Hagrid,” Snape said with a nod, “Thank you for agreeing to do this.”

“What sorta tree ya lookin’ for perfessa?”

“A Christmas tree, Rubeus. One that will fit in my living room,” the wizard said with a broad smile.

***

Snape was rather surprised at how much energy he had to put into an enervate spell for the half giant. Rousing the elf from his faint had been so much easier.

“Sorry ‘bout that,” Hagrid said sheepishly.

“It’s my fault, Hagrid, I shouldn’t have said that and smiled. It was too much for you.”

“C’mon lets git tha’ tree ‘fore you give me a ‘eart attack.”

The disappeared into the Forbidden Forest and emerged half an hour later with a six foot tree. After asking Hagrid to join him for morning tea, Snape bid the man goodnight and made his way back to his rooms levitating the tree behind him.

***

Cali had popped into the kitchens after leaving the Potions Master quarters. He was a little shaky and the others rushed to comfort him thinking Snape had been horrid to him as usual. They forced him to drink a cup of hot chocolate laced with a healthy dollop of elf brandy and as he did he told the other elves what had happened.

“Are you quite certain that is what he said?” the head elf Rolle asked.

“Very,” Cali said nodding his head.

“Right,” Rolle took charge, “You two get to work on the gifts for the adults. You three focus on Harry’s gifts. You two find some decorations. You lot get to Snape’s rooms and clean up. The castle will add a room for Harry, furnish it but make it simple. Snape can take him shopping.”

The elves were abuzz with excitement this was the type of thing that they lived for.

***

Severus ran through the hallowed halls of Hogwarts as if the devil himself was chasing him and perhaps he was. He skidded to a stop in front of the stone gargoyle that guarded the entrance to the Headmaster’s office. He was shocked when the bloody thing winked at him and slid open without him saying a word. He took the stairs two at the time and was ready to pound on the door at the top only to find open.

A somewhat sombre Dumbledore, his head resting on one hand, sat at his desk that was oddly devoid of the usual papers that cluttered it. Instead a small neat pile was sitting in the middle of the blotter. “You know Severus in all the years I knew her I was never subjected to Lily’s temper. I know now why it was something to fear,” he said as he sat up straight and lowered his hand to reveal a bright red handprint.

“Lily did that?” Severus asked shocked.

“She did my boy. Said she wanted to do a lot more but she needed me alive to help you and young Harry. It is spelled and cannot be removed. It will not show unless I do something ‘stupid’ where you and Harry are concerned, then it will be seen until I have fixed the problem.”

“She came to you then?”

“Yes so did James and your mother. I have a lot to atone for as well. These papers are for you to sign. The first set are adoption papers for Harry. The second… well you can see for yourself.” Albus gently pushed the pile of parchment to the other side of the desk. “I will leave you to read them. Call me when you are ready.”

The Potions Master’s fingers shook as he picked up the papers. Sinking slowly onto one of the visitor chairs he began reading. It appeared to be a standard adoption form. Harry’s name, date and place of birth were recorded as well as the names of his parents, their birth and death dates. The declarations to provide for the boy’s physical and emotional wellbeing were there. Everything seemed normal until he started to read the second page.

Where it asked for sponsors and/or character references two names he had not expected were etched there and the date. James Charlus Potter and Lily Marie Potter. December Twenty Fifth, Nineteen Hundred and ninety one.  The signatures could easily be verified as they were held on record at Gringotts where the forms went for verification before being filed at the Ministry.

With the blessings of his best friend and one time enemy he signed the parchment. Albus’ signature was already in place. The parchment glowed a light blue colour before it vanished.

Severus was left staring and shocked once again. Another set of adoption papers but for him this time. The petitioner was Albus. Flipping to the last page Snape saw his mother’s name and signature in the sponsors and/or character references. He was an adult he didn’t really need a sponsor but it would be accepted none the less. Albus had already signed and Severus knew the man never signed anything without careful consideration.

Feeling like all his Christmases had come at once he happily signed the paper. Another soft blue glow and it was gone too.

Feeling mischievous the Potions Master found some blank parchment in the Headmaster’s desk and began writing a letter to Santa. When it was finished and dry he placed it in an envelope, sealed it and laid it in the middle of the desk blotter. He made his way to the top of the spiral stairs and called out loud enough for Dumbledore to hear him, “I’m going to collect my son, Albus.” He was down the stairs and past the gargoyle before Albus was even in the room.

***

Albus was saddened at finding an empty room. He had hoped that Severus would accept his offer. He wearily made his way to his desk to sit and order tea. He noted that the pile of parchment was gone and that an envelope addressed to ‘Santa Clause C/- Albus Dumbledore’ was waiting. Forgetting the tea he tore open the letter. His eyes were bright and full of unshed tears as he read his son’s wish list.

He called a house elf and asked for tea while he contemplated the best way to fulfil the list. When the elf returned it asked if that was all because they were a bit busy and he was needed elsewhere. “Busy?” Albus asked.

“Helping Master Potions Master make room for Master Harry Potter and gettings gifts and things,” the elf replied.

“Could you ask Rolle to come here please?”

The little elf popped away and Rolle popped in. Albus told him what he wanted and Rolle said he would add to the shopping list his elves had already.

The Headmaster finished his tea and went back to bed.

***

“Severus Snape have ye lost what little sense god gave ye,” Minerva growled as she rubbed sleep from her eyes. “It’s the middle of the night.”

“Please Minnie,” he begged.

“What in Merlin’s name has gotten into ye lad?”

“My Mum and Da. Lily and James. Please Min, I’m not going to hurt him. He’s hurting enough and I want to make some of it go away.”

“Off with ye but if ye hurt the wee bairn you’ll get a skelping’ ye won’t soon forget.”

“Just one question before I go,” Severus gave her a mischievous look, “Just how many hot toddies did you have with Albus last night?”

“Not enough I’m thinking,” she muttered before shoving him out the door, “Away with ye and mind what I said.”

The witch smiled to herself as she crossed the room to her fire place. On the mantel was a filigree silver photo frame that held a snap of happier times. “Well done Lily and James,” she said quietly as she looked at the young couple and their only child, “I think they’ll make it.”

***

Bowing deeply to the portrait of the Fat Lady that guarded the entrance to Gryffindor tower the professor wished her a Merry Christmas and apologised for waking her so early and explained why he was entering. She smiled at him before opening the door, “Lily would be so pleased with you right now,” she said as he passed.

Crossing the common room he cast a notice me not spell on the gifts under the tree that would wear off when he left the tower. Knowing that the elves had been in and placed sleeping charms on the students he made a lot of noise to allow Harry time to get out from under the bed. The child in question was rubbing the last vestiges of sleep from his eyes when Snape stomped in. “Get dressed Potter and meet me downstairs,” he snapped.

***

He had been having a wonderful dream about his angel. She often came to him when he was asleep at the Dursleys. This time she told him she was sending a father to him for him for Christmas. “Freaks don’t get Christmas presents,” he told her sadly.

“This time you do,” she told him gently, “The man needs you just as much as you need him. He hasn’t been very nice to you in the past but you have to trust him just like I do.”

He was ripped from his dream by the sound of footsteps outside the door. He scrambled from beneath the bed and stood there rubbing his eyes as Snape walked in, “Get dressed Potter and meet me downstairs,” he snapped.

As quickly as he could Harry rushed to do what the man wanted. He had been grateful that the professor had made enough noise to wake him before he entered the room. No-one knew about him sleeping on the floor.

With his uniform on and his shoes in his hand so as not to awaken Ron he left the room and hurried down the stairs. He stopped at the bottom to slip them on. Snape was already heading out the door and he rushed to catch up with him.

Following quietly Harry wondered what he had done to earn a detention in the middle of the night and why had no-one told him. Perhaps he hadn’t washed all of the cauldrons earlier and Snape was going to make him finish them.

He was a bit taken back when his Potions Master walked past the classroom door and the door to his office. The man finally stopped a painting of a rural scene with a man fishing in a stream. “The password is ‘Lilium’ Mr. Potter,” Snape said quietly as he leant down closer to him.

“Lilium,” he said quickly and the door opened.