Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Here, the upload for this week :) Enjoy
Chapter 9

Chapter nine



“That wasn't very nice,” Harry mumbled after a few seconds, when Snape was in the kitchen getting tea ready.

“Oh please excuse my lack of decorum-”

“I am not that famous!” Harry said quickly, a look of denial in his face, shaking his head as he said so, grasping the quill tightly in his little hand, leaning forward over his paper.

“Mr. Potter, you need to get used to the fact, that no matter who you will meet, every wizard and witch will know your name. Most will be honored to finally meet you, some might even break out into tears, others will worship the ground you walk on. There might though be a small number, who hate your name, your fame and everything that you stand for now. Some that might wish you harm! It is important that you realize that, that you become aware of who exactly you are now. So, I think it will be rather important to work on some correct and polite responses when greeted.”

“Well, what was I supposed to say? It is not my fault I survived!” Snape snorted before giving the boy a rather pointed look to continue with writing his lines.

“Next time, you say thank you and shake their hand.”

“Well, I don't like it,” Harry said, biting his lower lip, even as he wrote his eightieth line twenty minutes after Terrance had arrived.

“I can imagine so, yet there is nothing that we can do about it, so it will do you well if you adjust quickly.” Severus replied, regarding the young black haired boy, who still sat bent over the parchment, swinging his right foot rather forcefully under the table, his body twitching every once in a while.

“Can I see my accounts?”

“Your vaults? Yes, we can go once school is over, I will have more time then.”

“Can we take Pierce?” Harry looked up as he asked this, something in his eyes giving Snape the impression that the boy actually already expected to hear a no.

“I don't think that that would be such a wise idea. I don't believe we can enter Gringotts without you being noticed this time around. An article will make it into the Prophet soon enough about your return to the Wizarding World. And once that article is out, it will be nearly impossible to walk through Diagon Alley without being noticed.”

“So, why can't we take him?” Harry inquired, quickly bending over his paper again when he received another pointed look.

“Because I can only take one other person along by side-apparition, not two. In case it I need a quick way out, it's better if I only have one of you with me. I would prefer not to be mobbed.”

“Oh,” Harry said, no clue what the word apparition meant, but noticing that the man was done discussing.

Snape sighed silently, he needed for the boy to understand soon, that he was not the poor beaten boy. He was a rich, famous beaten boy. The jealousy that his best friend would experience would test that friendship, the longer he could spare the two of them that, the better.



“You traitor!” A high pitched wail broke the silence only a few seconds later, and Harry whirled around so fast that he nearly fell off the chair, while Severus himself turned towards the red faced boy more slowly, a curious look on his face.

Pierce stood, his face a deep red, tears still visible on his face, his hands shaking slightly by his side, his back strained as he stood there, his shoulders pushed back far enough that Snape was sure that it hurt the boy, even as he was panting slightly.

“You made him go there!”

“It is best for all-”

“You are a traitor too!” Pierce cried out, twisting on the spot pointing an accusing finger at his cousin who stood there, slightly pale, his fingers shaking as well, even as he tried to fight for his bearing, nervous eyes flying to Severus before they settled back on his cousin, who looked so hurt, so lost, so angry as he stood there, shoulders still shaking.

“You promised, and we came all this way, and now you'll just go away,” Pierce cried out again, voice breaking as he angrily rubbed the tears from his face, eyes now flying back and forth as well.

“Pierce, just listen, please-”

“And you made him, even though you knew that he wanted to, and that I wanted to go with him.” Pierce yelled as he turned onto Snape again, voice a high pitched yell, taking an angry step forwards.

“You will lower your voice, right this instant young man!” Severus said, voice calm, leaning against the wall, not giving away just how angered he was at the boys behavior.

“You can't tell me what to do, you are not my father!” Pierce screeched, “I don't even know you. You are just a teacher, You just took us here, and now you want us to stay with you. Well, maybe we don't want to!”

“Pierce, I told you before, I will not force you to stay with me, but under no circumstances will I allow for your cousin to give up his life, to take you in. You are an ill tempered little boy, and your cousin has a once in a life-time chance, are you really that selfish to expect him to give up everything?”

“You can't tell him what to do either! He can't Ter', please! You promised! You said that you would as soon as you were done with school, you promised!” Pierce finally sobbed out, wiping his cheeks once more, now with both hands, shoulders hunching a little bit, as his anger was quickly replaced by hurt.

Harry sat wide-eyed at the table, staring from his best friend to the teacher and then to cousin. He could not believe what was going on, he couldn't really understand what was going on. He had never seen Pierce act this way, had never expected him to, either.

“I know lil' P', but I can't I need to-”

“No, you don't! You promised. You promised again and again. You knew, and you promised. I did everything you said, I stayed in my room, I didn't do anything. I went to school and stayed quiet, I wrote you and made sure I counted the days right. You promised me Ter'!”

“I am so sorry-”

“No you are not, you are a lair! Just like everybody else!” Pierce yelled out, anger resurfacing as he clenched his hands again.

“That's enough Mr. Rodgers, you would do best to lower your voice and stop this screaming. I am so close to coming over and helping you to get your temper in check, young man!” Snape finally said, rather loudly and forcefully, not surprised to see all three of them jump rather forcefully. He pushed himself of the wall and took a few steps into the living room, stopping short at Mr. Potters chair, placing one hand on the back of the boys chair, calm eyes taking in the mess of a boy only a few feet from him.

“You can't hit me, you're not my father!” Pierce screamed next, but an instant the boy had stopped his gulping for air and renewed sobbing, the near yell startling him quite bad.

“I won't hit you, but I will smack your backside if need be. And unless you want to end up face down over my knee young man, you will lower your voice and speak in a civilized manner!”

“Shut up, I am not speaking with you!” Pierce cried out before turning back towards his cousin, who had paled somewhat at the last statement.

“Pierce,” he exclaimed, but it was already too late. Snape had already rushed forward and grabbed the now screeching boy by the upper arm and hauled him around, grabbing him by both his arms, and given him a subtle shake.

“You are so close, my boy, so close to a real spanking. I won't forbid you to speak your mind, ever, as long as you do so in a respectful manner. If you can't manage to quiet down and keep a civil tongue in your head, then you will not only get smacked, but you will also spend some quality time in the corner, am I clear?”

Pierce who had begun struggling and crying again didn't reply, but simply pulled against the hands with more force, throwing his head back every now and then, to emit a rather loud howl.

“Maybe we should go and speak in your room again, Pierce?” Terrance suddenly asked, throwing a begging look at his Professor, clearly seeing where this might be going, and wanting nothing more than to spare his young cousin that fate.

“No, you are done for tonight. If Pierce can not speak politely and-”

“I can speak with Ter' as much as I want! You made him turn against me-”

“Enough! Your room, right now!”

“You can't send me away-”

“I can, and I am. Go, before I do spank that bottom of yours right here!”

“Shut up, I am talking with-”

“Never, ever tell me to shut up again Pierce,” Snape said, shocked, before he let go of the boy with his right hand, spinning him around and smacking his hand down, rather hard. Snape was surprised, he had never expected this. Yes, he had expected an outburst, he had expected a fight and perhaps even having to punish the boy. He had however never expected the boy to behave in such a confrontational disrespectful manner, “Never, am I clear?”

“SHUT UP!” Pierce screamed, right into the mans face, which was mere inches from his own, face contorted both with anger and fear.

“Enough of this, I will not punish you in anger, and you are way to angry to speak with as it is.” Severus finally sighed, forcing himself to take a deep breath, getting up he let go of the boy, glancing down at him shortly.

“Go ahead, beat me! That's what you want, that's what all of you always want!” Pierce screamed again, attempting to push the fully grown man in front of him forcefully.

Severus actually had to take a step back with the force, new anger surging through him.

“Do you want me to beat you Pierce?” he finally asked after a few seconds of tensed silence, Pierces heavy breathing the only thing that disturbed the absolute stillness.

“Do you want me to take of my belt and strap your backside raw? To go and fetch a switch and wear you out? Go grab that wooden spoon and beat you until you are bruised? Or perhaps the cane until you bleed?” Pierce had stopped his rant as Snape continued, shaking as he listened wide-eyed.

“Because I can assure you, young man, that I am very capable of doing so strength wise. I can conjure every item I have just listed with a flick of my wand. I can make you scream in pain by simply waving my wand, I can hex that mouth of yours shut, I can take your voice. I can lock you into your room or hex you into that corner. Right now every single nerve in my body is itching to take you across my knee, conjure a hairbrush and spank you until you see reason. But I won't, and do you know why? I won't, because I can control myself, and you my boy, will learn control. You will learn to control yourself, and if I have to send you to bed early until you are forty. If I have to place you in the corner and spank your rude bottom, you will learn self control!” Snape hissed, lifting the boys head by his chin until they made eye-contact.

“Now you will go to your room and stay there. I will bring you dinner later. As long as you can not treat either me or your cousin with respect, you won't be allowed to be with us.”

“But-”

“No buts, just go, Pierce.”

“You can't-”

“By Merlin, I have control Pierce, but you are wearing me thin. I am so close to making good on my threat and giving you a spanking you won't forget so soon. Now go, Pierce I am truly done discussing.”

“I hate you!” Pierce screamed at him, before turning around, running into his cousin forcefully before continuing to his room, where he did not miss banging his door closed.

“You know what I mean now?” Terrance asked after a few seconds, voice soft, still shaken by what had just happened.

“Yes, but I have expected such an outburst. But you Mr. Potter, better never speak to me or anyone else in such a fashion, am I clear?” Harry nodded, quickly, still staring with wide eyes, Pierce had been really, really rude.

“Good, continue with your lines, you should be done with those soon. As soon as you are done with those, start on your essay, it is almost time for dinner. You may go and eat in the Great hall if you with Mr. Rodgers, now that Pierce won't dine with us.

“Oh,” Terrance said, throwing a small look at the black haired boy, who now sat with his head bowed over the paper, furiously writing again.

“You may stay as well though, if you want.” Snape added, nearly smiling, before picking up the tray with tea and walking into the living room, calling the graduate to him.











Snape stuck to his word and delivered a tray with food to the boys room half an hour later, ignoring the pang to his chest when the boy wouldn't even look at him, as he placed the tray on the boys desk. The pang was quickly outdone though by the anger that surged through him when he saw the pile of clothes and books still on the boys bed, now a mess as the boy had simply pushed it back towards the wall to throw himself onto the mattress. Swallowing the urge to pop the boys presented bottom a good one, he simply cleared his throat.

“It is in your hands Mr. Rodgers, to make this stay here either comfortable or uncomfortable. As long as you choose to behave like an ill mannered young man, I shall treat you as one. As soon as you are ready to step past that phase and behave like the boy I know you are, then this can become a very comfortable stay.”

Pierce didn't turn around to look at him as he spoke, face pressed into the pillow, his entire body tense.

“I suggest you eat while it is still warm, I will come and help administer the potions and balms in just a moment. Oh, and Pierce. Please Continue or rather start putting your clothes away as soon as you are done eating.”







“You won't really spank him, will you Professor?” Terrance asked, the moment he had appeared back in his line of vision, his body tense even as he blushed somewhat.

“Not right now, no. He is testing me, and that is okay. I expected such. He needs to figure out the norm, he needs to figure out how far he can push me, when I will snap.”

“When will you Snap, sir?” Terrance asked, a curious glance in his eyes. The Professor he had known half a year ago, would have never, ever put up with any of this. He had never expected this man to invite anyone to his private quarters, to welcome any children to his home, least of all Potter. But here he sat, in the bats dungeon, which was actually a rather nicely decorated place, his Professor taking care of two boys, one of them the famous Potter, and he sat here, eating a very good dinner.

“I honestly don't know, we will all learn this soon enough, though I assume. The mere thought of being told to shut up again makes me angry, so I really don't know.” Snape replied, glancing into his cup of tea thoughtfully for a few seconds. He himself was somewhat surprised as well. When the boy had told him to shut up the first time, he had nearly lost control and smacked the boy. He was surprised that he hadn't given into it, even when the boy had become even more disrespectful towards the end.

“You wouldn't totally loose it though, right?”

“Beat him?” Snape asked, glancing at the man in front of him for a few seconds before shaking his head softly. “Never, I might spank him though. He was rather disrespectful tonight, and it wouldn't feel right to let this go unpunished.” He said thoughtfully, even as he glanced at the boy who still sat at the table, hunched over the paper, wanting to appear as if he wasn't listening, but having his ears perked.

“So Mr. Potter, mind your manners and control your temper. Disobedience, Disrespect and especially Dishonesty will always be punished severely. I won't tolerate any rule breaking in that regard, is that understood?”

Terrance nodded along with the younger boy. Those rules weren't too bad, he figured. He knew for a fact that had the boy pulled such a show in front of his dad, that Pierce would not be sitting comfortably for the next few days, god, had he ever dared to behave like this, he was pretty sure that his dad might have taken something to him. Those rules weren't too bad, at all, he had to admit, especially for Snape, who was a control freak on the best of his days. Everything had to run according to plan for that man, at all times.

“Can I go and talk with him again, sir?” Terrance asked, the moment he had cleared of his plate.

Snape hesitated, the tone the boy used made it obvious that he already expected a no for an answer.
“He is your cousin, so I can not, and will not deny it. I will say however, that I would prefer it if you didn't, he is being punished and I want him to realize that his behavior of this afternoon evoked uncomfortable consequences. If I were to go back on my word now, what would he learn of that? I need for him to realize that I will stick to my word in any aspect, that what I say will count, no matter what it is.”

“So no?”

“Did you listen to me Mr. Rodgers?” Severus asked, eyebrows raised, voice stern. Sometimes adolescents were so stupid! How that boy managed to be top of his class was beyond him.

“Alright, um Harry?”

“Yes?”

“I wanted to thank you, for going with Pierce. He told me the entire story, and while I am rather shocked at some of the stunts you two pulled, I am very glad that you were together and were careful even when you were stupid. Thank you.”

“Oh, I needed to go too. Pierce, if he hadn't come, then I wouldn't have ever gone. And then I would have most probably never made it here, to Hogwarts.”

“Well, then I guess it was good for the two of you. It was nice meeting you. I expect that I'll be seeing you often from now on, since you and Pierce are friends.”

“That would be great. It was nice meeting you too, thank you.”

“Oh, and I am sorry, you know. For not sticking to my word.”

“Oh, that's okay. Professor Snape explained that you were accepted into one of the best Universities. Pierce, he's just hurt, you know? He doesn't really mean anything of what he said earlier, he's just upset.”

“I know, thanks tyke.” Terrance replied, even as he got up, ruffling up the boys hand, before turning towards his Professor extending his hand, man to man, eyes bright, face soft, and perhaps as relaxed as it hasn't been in months.







Snape walked the young man over to the entrance to the Slytherin Common room, before pulling him to the side.

“I can trust that you keep this secret? That the boys are with me, but more so that Mr. Potter is with me, and especially the circumstances under which the boy grew up in? It is vital, and while I can not tell you why, I must ask you to give me your word to keep this between the four of us. If you think that that might be a problem, then I can modify your mind.”

“That won't be necessary, I owe you, a lot Professor-”

“You owe me nothing, Mr. Rodgers, only what we discussed. Keep your grades up, I take it that you are a man of your word.”

“Yes, sir. I will.”

“And Mr. Rodgers, if you have any doubts, about Mr. Potters safety, then you are welcome to go and take that up with the Headmaster, he is informed of the situation.”

Rodgers tilted his head to the side somewhat, before he sighed and shook his head softly. “Professor, I think the boy is safest with you. Even if I had my doubts before, seeing you with him and with Pierce, well there surely isn't one anymore. I have heard the others talk, and I know that even if you at any time were truly a Death Eater, you no longer are one. And I trust you,” Terrance said, offering the man a true, and honest small smile.

“Thank you Mr. Rodgers,” Severus said, inclining his head, “and you are welcome to stop by again tomorrow, just make sure you do so discretely.”

Rodgers simply nodded before bowing his head slightly, before turning and walking down the dark, cold hallway, head held higher, breathing more deeply, a huge weight taken off his shoulders.







“Mr. Potter, that was very thoughtful and kind of you, reassuring Mr. Rodgers like that,” Snape observed after he had come back in, standing by the portrait watching the young boy writing, bottom lip sucked into his mouth, leaning forward in his chair slightly, thinking.

“Huh? It's true though, right? He didn't really mean all the things he said, right?”

“Yes, I believe so as well. Pierce was very upset, and didn't take time to think about what he was saying, and how hurtful it might be for his cousin.”

Harry sat there, still, eying the Professor for a few seconds before he blushed somewhat and turned back to his paper.

“Where will we stay now, if not with him, sir?”

“Did I not already assure you, that you would never go back? That even if you couldn't stay with me, that I would make sure that you found a family that could take care of you?”

“So we could stay with you?”

“Well, perhaps. But I can not promise it. People here, they think that they know of my past. They know that I once served the Dark Lord, and many don't believe that I turned from him before he fell. Many think I was loyal to him until the very end.”

“But you weren't, right?”

“No, as said before, I turned from him the moment I realized my great error in telling him about the partial Prophecy I had overheard. That was nearly a year before he fell.”

“So because people think you worked for the bad guy, they won't allow me to stay with you, considering what they call me?”

“The boy who lived? The chosen one? The one that can not be killed?”

“Yeah, that.” Harry mumbled, blushing, leaning even further over his parchment.

“Yes, it could be very difficult to take guardianship officially.”

The boy sat thoughtfully for a few moments, leaning back in his chair, regarding the man in front of him for a few seconds, before placing both his hands in his lap.

“Well, then we could just not tell anyone. No one ever checked with the Dursleys anyway, and maybe they still think that I am there, I mean, there were no news about a ten year old gone missing, and not a single wizard ever came to knock on the door to begin with. So if I don't tell anyone, no one could say no.”

“That's technically kidnapping of a minor, Mr. Potter. If anyone ever found out, then I would go to prison. Not only because I hid a boy away in my house, but because it's you, the famous boy who lived. People will constantly overreact when you are concerned.”

“So I am like Richie Rich?” Harry asked after a few seconds of silence, eyes shining for just a second.

“Who?”

“The boy from the movie, the rich little boy? Many people know him and-”

“I am not familiar with that movie, but yes I would assume so. Just that you are not only famous through your wealth, but more so because of what you did as a mere baby.”

“Yeah, I was only a baby, so they can all sod off,” Harry growled, leaning back in his chair forcefully, crossing his arms over his chest, face as serious as the face of a ten year old could get.

“Stay respectful Mr. Potter,” Snape admonished, but not sternly. He clearly remembered how much the boy had hated his fame the first time around, it would have surprised him, if that too would have changed. But perhaps this time, Snape would be able to help the boy through it. The first time around the boy had been all alone with it. Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger had been the same age and had been of no aid. He had played openly into the Medias hands, with Rita Skeeter making the best of it. The boy had had no clue how much he could have actually done with his name, how much good he could have accomplished if he had only worked his name.

“We can speak more about this during the summer break, for now it is only important that you realize that you are indeed famous and thus must watch your behavior, the way your present yourself, your decorum, do you understand what I am saying?”

“Yes, people will be watching, and I don't want to make a public mockery of myself.”

“Yes, and that will be a lot of pressure. People will be waiting for you to fail, and you must try not to fail, or at least fail in secret, yes?”

“Yes, sir. Does this mean that I could like never mess up? Like botch a test, or skip classes?”

“Mr. Potter, you will never botch a test, or skip a class, not because the public will be watching, but because I will be. And if I catch you skipping, then a nasty article in the papers will be the last of your worries, is that clear?”

“I was only asking,” Harry immediately said, lifting his hands slightly, but there was a little bout of mischief in his eyes, a look Snape enjoyed for a few seconds. So the boy was comfortable enough to kid around with him. He had not expected the boy to speak that much more, so quickly. At first the boy had not spoken a single word, and now he was talking a lot. But not just gibberish, but rather actually mindful words. The boy was trying to become aware of who he was, and why. There were no senseless questions, no silly demands. He was surprised, and that in itself surprised him, because he had thought, that this time around, he could anticipate everything, as he had gone through it all before. He had known everybody longer, this time around, had much more experience and insight.













Sev,” Severus whipped around, that voice, how long had he yearned to hear it again, to hear it say his name again, in that fashion, this love, this kindness, how he had missed it.


Oh Sev,” Lilly shushed, rushing forwards and opening her arms wide, gathering the frown man in them, like a mother would with her child, “My Sev,” she murmured again and again, while slowly but surely, the man that she was holding, began hugging her back, pressing his head on top of hers, inhaling the scent, a scent he had missed so long.


I'm sorry,” he finally pressed out, voice cracking, as he hugged the small young form back, his long lost friend, his best friend, his first love.


You were long forgiven,” she whispered, not pulling away as she felt the first of many tears wetting the top of her head, holding her best friend, as silent sobs wrecked his strong form.


I couldn't save him,” Severus finally wheezed out, his lungs constricted.


You did your best Sevvy, I know you did,” She said, holding him tight, feeling the familiar beat of his heart against her cheek. They stood like this for minutes, Severus Snape finally giving in to the pain, the tears he had longed to shed for years.


He is quite a handful, hm?” She finally asked, when her lonely friend had composed himself as far as he needed.


He is his fathers son,” Severus said after a few seconds, “but he has your heart Lil, he has such a good heart.”



No you notice,” a different voice cut in, and Lilly didn't object when the arms around her pulled her even closer, even as the man who held her, stiffened. But the voice, as familiar as it was, lacked the normal malice, the usual edge it normally had, whenever addressing him.


Severus squeezed his eyes shut, memories flying by, hatred surging through his young body, as the voice, the voice he had not missed, he had given his best to forget, sounded so clear, from very close behind him.


We don't have much time Lilly,” James said, calmly, as he leaned against the wall, watching his wife and mother of his son, hold on to her ever best friend, as if her long lost life depended on it.


Severus,” Lilly finally said, leaning back, indicating for him to let her pull away, which he did, though it took all the will power and control he had, “James is right, we don't have much time.”



Sevvy,” another voice cut in, and Severus whirled around, facing his mother, his mother he hadn't seen in nearly thirty years.


Mom,” he finally croaked out, in total disbelief. He had expected death, had been waiting to embrace it, had always dreamt of then perhaps being reunited with those he loved and longed for most, but had never truly expected it. Because if there was to be a heaven, then there was to be a hell, and he would surely be sent to hell.


Eileen rushed towards him, crashing into his chest, sobs shaking her, her chest heaving so hard, he felt it, her forehead crashing into his chest, so hard it knocked the wind out of him.


Mom,” he said again, voice on the verge of braking.


My boy,” she cried, grabbing his cloak in both his hands, holding of with everything she had.


I am sorry mom,” he finally managed to say, he felt dizzy. He hadn't ever expected this.


Eileen, I am sorry, but we don't have much time,” James said again, cutting through Snape's soul, yet again, and this time, Severus lifted his head, staring at the young man, a man who had died almost 18 years ago, forever caught in the early years of his adulthood, never having outgrown his juvenile tendencies.


Potter,” Severus finally sneered, cold black eyes on the man, the man that had made his life at school a living hell.


Severus,” James replied, calm eyes settled on his face, but there as no more hatred in those eyes, no malice, just a calm and knowing look.


James is right, Severus, we were only given a few minutes.”


What?”


Look at me Severus,” Lilly said, using his full first name, something she usually reserved for when she was angry, or truly needed for him to listen to her, as she walked back towards him, placing a warm hand on his cheek, pulling his eyes to hers, those beautiful green eyes, so full of love, of forgiveness. He could look into those eyes forever, just get lost in them, forever enveloped in the love they promised.


You need to go back, they are giving you another chance.”


Severus looked at her, frowning, as he still held his mother against him, her motherly love warming him inside out. He didn't understand, what was going on? Had the Dark Lord won this war? Was he torturing him? Was he caught in one of those cruel mind games the Dark Lord found so much pleasure in?


They are sending you back, Severus.”


Who?” Severus asked, eyes flying to James, who still kept his distance, standing further off, attentive eyes on the scene that played out before him, no jealousy in those, even though Snape knew just how jealous the man had been of the relationship he had had with Lilly in his school years.


The spirits Sev, they are giving you another chance.”


I don't understand, why me?”


Because you deserve it, Severus.” James spoke up, earning himself yet another glare. “I am sorry Severus, for what I did, for what we did. Sirius is sorry too, being here, seeing what we put you through, what you had to go through, and what you did for Harry, we are so sorry.” James ended, rubbing his young hands against a fine pair of black slacks uncomfortably.


I don't understand,” Severus repeated, looking at his childhood best friend helplessly, even as he noticed that the walls around them were slowly getting whiter, even brighter.


You are given another chance, Severus, to make everything right, to fix everything, you had always wanted that, right? To fix everything? To say no to Dumbledore? Say no this time, Severus, make your own choices, you know what to do, you have a great heart, don't hide it.”


We were stupid, Severus. We were teenagers, I was blinded by hatred, by my stupid pureblook upbringing, Sirius, while he hated his status, was blinded as well. We were stupid, we should have been held accountable, we should have been expelled, Severus, we are sorry.”


What's happening?”


The spirits only gave us a few moments, Sev, you get another chance.”


I don't want another chance, I want to stay here, with you.”


You are needed Severus, they need you,” Lilly cried out, tears gathering in her eyes.


No!” Severus yelled, as the walls around them, got whiter and whiter, soon appearing as if there was nothing, but bright white nothingness.


You can do it right this time, Sev. You know now, you know what to do.”


Save my son, please Severus, please. Don't hold him accountable for the stupidity of his father and godfather, two people he never had the chance to get to know. Don't hold him accountable for what we did to you, Severus, please.”


What are you talking about?” Severus yelled again, his mother slowly pulling away from him, face wet with tears.


Do it right this time Sev. I love you Sev, you will always be my first best friend, my first love. I love you so much Sevvy, do it right, learn to love yourself, forgive yourself, we have all forgiven you!” Lilly cried, hands clutching her won sweater by her heart, as sobs wrecked her young form.


WE will see you again Severus. Live your life, be happy, get a wife, and children. Share yourself, you are a wonderful giving person, you have so much to give, share yourself,” Lilly said, slowly, calming down again.


I always loved you, Sevvy, you will always be my little boy, promise me that you will learn to love yourself, there was nothing that you could have done, I was sick, there was no cure.”


Don't let him go back to them, Sev. Save him.” James said, carefully, eying him, sorrow in his eyes.


Who, what?”


The spirits, this is straining them, they can't keep you here any longer, you need to go now, you can't miss this chance,” Lilly said, as she slowly lifted her hand, placing it on her hand.


I am given another chance?”


Yes my dear boy, make it worth it.” Eilen said, squeezing his hand.


I am not dead?”


You are given another chance at life, Severus, make it count.”


Will you be there?” Severus asked, looking up at his friend, his dear long lost friend.


No, we died as part of the prophecy,” Lilly explained, looking at her husband shortly.


And I, Severus I was too sick.” Eileen explained carefully.


Severus frowned again, confusion only growing.


What time am I being send back to? Make it early enough, I could change everything.”


Shortly before Harry's first year,” James explained, hurt in his eyes.


What, NO!” Snape roared, whipping around, looking into space.


Send me back further, I can change everything!”


It doesn't work this way Sev, the furthest they can send you back is Harry's first year,” Lilly explained, grasping his hand and turning him back around, glancing at his face, which was now paler than ever before.


His first year?”


Yes, safe yourself, Severus. Don't hate yourself, I forgive you, for everything. You didn't know it would target us, and you never meant what you called me, I know that now. You are a good man, Sev. Just believe that.”


Safe him, Severus, please don't let him go through all that again, don't let him go back there.” James said again, and all of a sudden Snape understood, he was talking about Harry and the muggles, not Harry and the Deatheaters in the forest.


I will,” he finally promised, his throat thick with tears, with hurt, “I will keep him safe Lilly, Po- James, I promised that night, and now I promise again, I will protect him.”


The silent, hidden protector, I know. This time, be there, show him, be there for him, he needs you. I love you, Sev, but you need to go now.”


Will I ever see you again?”


When you lived your life, to the fullest, then yes. I will be waiting, right here, my love. We will all be right here.”







Snape had woken from that dream just a few weeks ago, and had been in a daze for a few weeks after that, not sure whether or not it had been a dream, whether or not he was truly caught in one of the Dark Lords cruel mind games. Only after a few weeks in this monotonous days at school, where he experienced one dejavu after the other, had it finally become bitter reality, he was truly send back in time, to the summer before young Harry James Potter would once again join Hogwarts.



He remembered how he had woken screaming, drenched in cold sweat, torn the covers off of himself and been wondering his quarters restlessly, the ten year old edition of the Prophet and Potions Weekly laying on his coffee table in his dark quarters.


He had truly been given another chance, and while he had thought he would be in total control of this life, he had learned quick that that was not the case. He had truly realized that when Mrs. Clearwater had reached out to him, only two weeks after waken from that dream, and told him of two boys who were seeking for him.


He had planned to safe the boy, to get him once school was out, but the change in events, perhaps it would work out better for him, in the end, seeing as now, no one was truly aware of him having any part in the boys disappearance.


The Potter brat st in his living room, Quidditch game set out in front of him, as he leaned against the couch, eyes on the seeker who was chasing after the snitch in a crazy frenzy.


“Come on dive!” The boy all of a sudden shouted, hissing something under his breath every once in a while, before shouting for the keeper to catch the damned quaffle. Snape had admonished him twice, at the same time reminding him that the game would read his mind if he only placed his finger on the patch, that no screaming was necessary. But it was to no avail, the boy would be quiet for a few minutes, body twitching every once in a while before the excitement got the better of him and he once again started his shouting.


“Mr. Potter, it is time to retire to bed also,” Severus said the moment the old clock in his living room struck eight pm.


Harry’s head whipped around so fast, one could have thought Snape had thrown something at him.


“Now?”


“No in two years, yes now, or I would not have said it,” Snape said exasperated. Really he knew that he did not mumble and that he spoke loud enough, was he speaking a different language?


“Oh, alright. Can I leave the game out so I can continue with it tomorrow?” Harry asked, as he got up, rubbing his bottom which had become quite numb on the cold and hard dungeon floor.


Everything in Snape screamed to say no, he would not have his personal quarters, his living room turned into a playroom, he was neat and organized, he did not need toys laying around.


“Push it aside, so I won't trip over it. And you will clean it up before lunch tomorrow, is that clear?”


“Oh, yes sir. Thanks,” Harry grinned before he pushed the board into the corner he and Pierce had stood in not so long ago at all.





The moment the boy was in his room and Snape had made sure that he took the potions and applied the balm, did he finally grab his last papers and retired to his study. He had a lot of correcting to do still, and while he was done grading most of his pupils, he still had the last exam of his second years to grade, and he was intent on taking those scores into their final grade. The class had nearly robbed him of his last nerve, and the 'surprise test' was simply serving as a little payback. He had promised them to have a test every Friday until they finally learned to shape up, and he was intent on keeping that promise. He'd have a test ready for their first day of classes for the next term, that much he promised himself.


It was nearing midnight when he finally turned off the light to go to bed himself. When he noticed that Pierces room door was ajar he found the boys bed empty. His heart only missed a beat however, as it didn't take him three seconds to figure out where the boy would be. It was no wonder, he thought as he poked his head into Potters room finding both boys sleeping peacefully next to each other, the boys had probably not slept apart since they had run off together, and he would be the last person to haul Pierce back into his own bed. It would just take time, he told himself, until they both felt secure enough again, to sleep separated.









When Harry woke the next morning he carefully disentangled himself from Pierces hold, as not to wake the other boy. Pierce had practically joined him in his room yesterday night, the moment the Professor had closed the door to the study behind himself. He wondered if Snape had noticed, and if he would be angry. But then he didn't give it much more thought, if the man had seen them and had done nothing about it, then he assumed that he didn't have a problem with it. And if the man had a problem with it, then he would surely tell them to knock it off.


“Good morning,” Snape greeted nonchalantly the moment the boy joined him in the kitchen. He boys hair was still damp, so he was sure that he had showered, and the smell of the balm lingered in the air, so Snape was sure that the boy had gone through the routine.


“There is a glass of Pumpkin Juice on the counter, if you want something to down after the potions,” he offered pointing into the direction of the kitchen, coffee mug in his left hand, Potions Weekly and the Prophet laid out in front of him.



The boy who lived has returned!


Harry James Potter, the boy who lived has finally returned after ten years. Larry Bumbleton confirmed his return, having met our young long awaited hero and one of his close friends in the knight bus.
“He looked just like I had expected him to, and that scar, and such a polite young man,” Mr. Bumbleton clearly still baffled by his run in with our young Mr. Harry Potter, confirmed that he was indeed in good health, and would indeed return to the Wizarding World.

Harry Potter and his friend Pierce Rodgers were both accompanied by the Potions Professor of Hogwarts and Ex-Death Eater Severus Snape.

Does that mean that our young Harry Potter will join Hogwarts?

Harry Potter, who vanished from the Wizarding World on that terrible Halloween night nearly ten years ago when He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named found the young Potter family in their hide-out and killed his parents and was then defeated by the mere baby, has finally returned.

There will be more stories to tell, and we the Daily Prophet will make sure, that you our dear readers, will hear it first.


RS




“There, I told you, here is that long awaited article in the Daily Prophet. Going to Diagon Alley will be traumatic now,” Snape groaned as he skimmed over it again. Yes, ex-Death Eater, how he hated this woman! Dumbledore must have really had the woman under a firm hand, or this article could have gotten way more ugly, with Skeeter assuming that he was kidnapping the boy, killing him or who knows what!


“An entire article about me? And hey! Where did they get that picture of me?” Harry asked, wide-eyed as he stared at the little picture of himself, a small baby sitting on the ground, smiling and waving around a wooden stick, probably a play wand.

“Wow, the picture it moves.” Harry mumbled, placing a finger on the image, bending his head from side to side.


“It's magic, it's a moment caught on film, as muggles say, I believe.”

“Like a video?”


“Yes, I would assume so.”


“But how do they get it onto a paper?” Harry asked, turning the paper around, staring at the back of it, clearly in awe.


“I don't know Mr. Potter, that is not something I focused on,” Severus sighed, taking another sip of his coffee, “but to answer your original question. There's a lot of pictures of you out there, your mother was very proud and took a lot of pictures of you and then send them out in the mail to all her friends. They were more than happy to supply the Prophet with copies of those pictures after that horrible night.”


“Why does she keep saying our young Mr. Potter, I am not anyone’s Mr. Potter,” Harry growled after a few seconds having read over the article a few times.


“So what now?” He finally asked after Snape hadn't answered his first question.


“Now you watch your step,” Snape advised, voice soft, wishing he could take that from the boy, wishing he could spare the boy of that life.


“Stay invisible, I am good at that,” Harry mumbled, voice bitter, causing Snape to glance up once more, briefly before sighing.


“No, not staying invisible. You can show yourself, you can even give interviews, have pictures taken. But you must always remember that if you fail once, if you say something you shouldn't, only once, then it could be that thousands will read about it.”


“Interviews, and tell them what?”


“Lie,” Snape said smiling slyly, “If anyone ever asks why you hadn't turned up for so long, you will simply say that you lived with your relatives, whom you will not name to honor their decision to keep private. You must say no more than that, you could go out there and tell everyone that you were abused and had a horrible life, but you must consider all the consequences if you do so.”


“My relatives would go to jail.”


“Yes, and you would be given to foster parents, and who knows who you would be given to. The person that sent you to your relatives would land in very deep water as well, and thus much would get turned upside down.”


“Who sent me there anyway?”


“I don't it would be wise if you'd know,” Snape replied, honestly, as he looked at the boy, “I will tell you if you insist. But what good would it do you?” Snape asked. “What if I told you that it was me? That it was someone that had your best at heart but failed to follow up? What then?”


“It wasn't you,” Harry replied immediately, but there was just a tinge of horror in his eyes.


“No, it wasn't me. It was someone who has a lot of power, and thought giving you a chance at a normal, fame free childhood would be the best for you.”


“It could have been, had my relatives not been the way they were.”


“Yes, and he failed to check up on you, and he is deeply sorry for that. That is something that he will surely never forgive himself.”


“He knows?”


“Yes, I made sure to confront him,” Severus said, voice hard as steel, anger surging through him.


“No, I don't think I want to know then,” Harry said after a few seconds, face thoughtful, “That way there is no one I can hate, and they didn't do it intentionally, it was a stupid mistake, but everybody makes mistakes.


So forgiving, Severus thought, rubbing a hand over his tense shoulder, so much Lilly right there, so much understanding, such loyalty, so much like his parents.


“Alright then, I have to teach classes again today, so after we have breakfast I have a list of assignments to complete for the both of you. It would be good if the two of you got started on them, that way you don’t have to work all summer.”


“Already? Classes haven't even started yet,” Harry exclaimed, eyes wide.


“Oh, you don't have to do them just yet, but they still have to be done. You can decide to get a head start. After lunch I will pick up and Terrance will watch Pierce. We will go to Diagon Alley. We have an appointment with an eye-specialist and then we can go and look at your vaults.”


“You noticed then?”


“Your squinting? Yes, a blind man would have noticed. Here, set the table while I get breakfast ready,” Snape said opening a few cabinet doors to show the plates and glasses and silver-wear.


He had breakfast ready three minutes later, his wand back in his holster, he carried the eggs and sausages and toast over to the table, while the boy grabbed the butter and jam out the fridge.


“Has your friend not woken yet?”







Snape woke the boy, but had to leave short after, so he wasn't sure if the boy had gotten out of bed, showered or eaten breakfast. He didn't know if either of the boys decided to start on that Homework list, nor did he know if the two of them were taking his quarters apart at right this moment. He thought about hurrying back to his rooms more than once, while he sat observing his students, or while he was on duty in study-hall, but he fought the urge. His classes had been terrible all day, apparently a couple of his students did receive the daily prophet and actually read it, and by third period every student had heard the news, and bombarded him with questions. He was the one that had spoken with Potter, so he apparently was expected to have an answer to all their questions.


“I can not believe you didn't tell me,” Minerva McGonagall, Head of Gryffindor house snapped at him, as she released him from Study Hall.


“What in the world are you referring to Professor?” He asked, nearly rolling his eyes when she got a crazed look in her own.


“That you went to meet him, did you bring him his letter then? The school howls had some difficulty delivering it. I had to send tracker, was probably on vacation, or those wards repelled the owls.”


“Yes, I went to meet, I took him shopping for his supplies, there is not much to tell.”


“Why did Dumbledore sent you? Any of us would have been honored to introduce him to our world, you were kind and understanding though, right?”


“Minerva, I have classes to teach. You will be able to ask him all those questions on September first, I assure you. He was alive when I left him, and in good health, as the prophet stated also.”


“Really Severus, one can never have a simple decent conversation with you. Must you always be so sarcastic?”


Snape simply grunted when the woman whipped around and hurried into study-hall, before he pinched both the Weasley boys ears sharply as he passed them, as they had been standing right around the corner, eavesdropping, leaving them both giggling, even as he didn't spare them another glance.



Chapter End Notes:
Thank you so much for the reviews so far. It really helps to know that you are reading, and what you think.

More next weekend :)