Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 11

S.S.

Severus resolved to speak to the headmaster as soon as he got back. As the days after their latest row passed it seemed as if the boy was retreating into himself. He was far less at ease than he had been before, if you could describe his previous behaviour as relaxed in any way. He often found himself on the receiving end of some very odd looks as if the boy was trying to work out a difficult puzzle. At the time he thought he'd done a fair job of allaying the boy's anger and at the same time evading the issue but it was clear now that the atmosphere had taken a turn for the worse by leaving the accusations unanswered and hanging over them both.

The boy's words kept replaying over and over again in his head. He knew exactly what Lily would have said had she heard the words of her son and he hated the thought of disappointing her. The boy was right, he had hated him, loathed him in fact and had made it extremely obvious to him. Back then he had not seen it as an issue, but now that he could not help but see that he was Lily's child and not exact copy of James Potter, it was a problem. There was too much hate, too much history for him to do the boy any good. It was becoming glaringly obvious that a child with his background needed support and care and he couldn't give that even if he wanted to. Not to mention that the child would not accept it, not from him, not now.

He departed for the headmaster's office after checking where Potter claimed to be that afternoon. He would have to persuade him to look for someone else to take care of the child. He had promised to do what's best for Lily's child and he wasn't it.

The headmaster showed no surprise on his arrival, merely inviting him in with a sweeping gesture. "I was not expecting a visit so soon," he commented lightly.

"I am not equipped to deal with this child," he burst out, not bothering with pleasantries.

"I'm sure you're doing an admirable job," he replied, seating himself behind his desk, seemingly unfazed.

"I'm not good for him. He needs someone else– the wolf, anyone."

"You know very well that Remus cannot take him," his employer said firmly, fixing a stern glare on the Potions Master. "What exactly is the problem?"

As if he didn't know. "I cannot give him what he needs. A child with his background needs support and care–"

"And you know that. You've identified his needs and I believe you more than capable of delivering."

"I'm telling you that I'm not. There's too much bad feeling, too much history."

"Have you seen that you were wrong about Harry?"

Severus narrowed his eyes. "I concede that I may not have been entirely correct about how he grew up, but it makes no difference." 

"It makes a world of difference. You know that your treatment of Harry for the last three years has been cruel and harsh but you justified it because you thought his character merited your actions. Concede that you were wrong in your assumptions and in your actions."

"I have told him that I do not hate him and do not necessarily know him. It is not enough, he needs more than that."

"You're right. He needs an explanation and honesty, and he needs to have a level of trust in you."

Severus looked at him as if he had suddenly grown an extra head. "I didn't mean from me. He needs more than I can give him. I will not explain myself to a child."

The headmaster looked disappointed. "Severus, you claimed that you wanted what's best for Lily's child."

"That is still the case–"

"Then you know what to do."

"I will not– it would do no good," he spluttered.

"Clear the air with the child, no raised voices, no anger. Swallow your pride, Severus. He has a great capacity for forgiveness."

"You're happy to give the boy second best? You won't even look for a better place for him?" 

"I believe I do know what's best for him," the headmaster said by way of a dismissal.

Severus fumed as he left the headmaster's office. He hadn't even tried to come up with a better situation for he child. He cared as little now as he had done at the beginning; Severus should never have been given the boy.

Explaining himself to the child would do no good, and there was too much bad blood for something like that to even work. As if something as simple as a conversation could do away with years of hatred.

Upon entering his quarters he slammed the portrait shut behind him and at the noise Potter's bedroom door quickly clicked shut.

H.P.

Harry sat on a bank of grass overlooking the lake, his Firebolt laid out beside him. His thoughts were too muddled for even flying to fix.

When Snape had sat him down to speak to him and had given him his explanation it had initially quelled his anger somewhat. He'd never had anyone talk to him like that after going off at them; it was nothing the Dursleys had ever done and they certainly would never have let him get away with challenging them, even if it was justified.

But after having a chance to think about it he felt a bit like he'd been Slytherined out of a real answer. So Snape had hated him because he thought he would be just like his dad and now for some reason he thinks that might not be true? If he doesn't hate him now because he doesn't know him, what if he decides he does know him and still doesn't like him? Harry hadn't suddenly changed this summer.

Was Snape just going to go back to humiliating him at every opportunity if Harry turned out to be just what he'd thought along? He didn't think he'd want to stay here if that was the case, not at all, but would going back to the Dursleys be better? He wouldn't be able to see Remus and Sirius if he wasn't at the castle... And what if when Snape decides he was right about what he thought of him, then decides he couldn't stay any more? He could probably do that–

"Harry, is everything okay?" Remus appeared beside him. He'd said he was coming to see Dumbledore but he didn't think he'd see him out in the grounds.

"Uh, yeah," he replied distractedly. "Hi."

Harry stared out over the lake and Remus didn't fill the silence right away. Instead, he sat down on the grass beside him.

"What's the matter?" Concern coloured his voice.

"Snape." 

"What's brought this on? I thought things were going well."

"They were, sort of. Things were getting a bit better, loads better than at school and stuff," Harry said, fiddling with a blade of grass.

"Then what?" Remus asked.

"We started remedial potions last week."

"I didn't know you were failing."

"I'm not failing! I'm not great at potions, but yeah, I don't need to do the lessons. I don't know why I have to do them."

"Sorry, carry on."

"It just reminded me of being back at school, you know, when he used to make fun of me in front of everyone and put me down all the time and I just lost it after a while. We had this big row. I wanted to know why hated me and treated me different to everyone and then he said 'the apple doesn't fall far from the tree'. That was his explanation, that was it."

"He shouldn't have said that to you."

"He said he didn't hate me any more because he doesn't know me."

"Right."

"Then I sort of got worried because I really yelled at him and it's not like he owes me anything. I mean, if anything, I owe him because he's letting me stay with him and everything."

"Harry, no. He can't treat you however he wants just because he puts a roof over your head," Remus said passionately. Harry frowned and shook his head.

"Yeah, but it's not like he wants me there."

"It doesn't give him any right to treat you poorly. If you're living with him, then he's agreed to take you, and if that's the case he has to look after you and treat you kindly. There's no two ways about it," he said firmly.

"He doesn't have to, though," Harry insisted. Sure it would be nice if he wasn't a huge burden to the people he lived with, but he was and he knew what to expect.

"No, Harry, he does. I know you two don't get on but I expect him to do his best with you besides that."

Harry chose to ignore Remus' line of argument. He just didn't get it. "Is it really just because of my dad?"

"To say that they didn't get on would be an understatement. I haven't discussed the issue with Severus, so I can't speak for him, but I would say yes for the most part."

"That's not fair."

"I know," Remus replied sadly. "I've got an appointment with the headmaster. Do you want me to get Sirius?"

"No, don't tell him. He'll get upset and I need to sort this out. Just don't say anything." He didn't need any more complications. A big fight between Snape and his godfather might just be enough to get him kicked out of the castle for the rest of the summer.

"I won't tell him anything you don't want me to, but he's always happy to see you and you could use cheering up."

Harry smiled. "Yeah, okay then."


S.S.

How had he gotten himself cornered in his own quarters by Lupin of all people? If he hadn't been so distracted by his conversation with the headmaster he probably wouldn't be in the presence of the infuriating wolf. 

He'd opened the door to the quarters and the wolf strode in as if he owned the place. It was so out of character Severus wondered for a moment whether he'd imagined it. "He's not here," he said, assuming the man was there to speak with Potter.

"I came to talk to you," he'd replied shortly and without the air of politeness that he usually carried.

Now Severus found himself in his kitchen, alone, with what appeared to be a less than happy werewolf.

"Harry told me about your row," the wolf announced, leaning back against the kitchen counter and blocking the exit.

"Which?" Severus sneered. He had a good idea to which he was referring but they had their fair share of arguments.

"What I take was your last," he replied calmly, pouring himself a glass of water and taking a sip before continuing.

"Harry's a lot like his father. It's amazing really considering they only had a year…" he trailed off as if he was lost in thought. "He's got most of his good qualities; he's loyal, brave, intelligent. He's more mature than James was at his age, more careworn, wouldn't you say?" The wolf seemed to speak casually but there was an edge to his voice.

"I wouldn't know." It was obvious that the wolf had some agenda but Severus did not feel inclined to play along, nor did he appreciate the reminder of the boy's father.

"You would know," he growled angrily. "He's not his father. I loved James, but I know what he did, what we did, was wrong. Harry would never treat anyone the way we treated you; he doesn't have it in him. James' worst qualities didn't make it to Harry. He's his own person and he deserves to be treated like it."

"I have admitted that I may have been wrong about the child," Severus hissed through gritted teeth.

"Harry told me as much. I just wanted to make sure you understood. I think Harry deserves more–" Severus cut him off before he could finish. He wholeheartedly agreed. If he thought of what Lily would have wanted all he could think was that she'd want her son as far from him as possible.

"As do I, which is why I wanted to find another home for him this summer. The headmaster disagrees; he wants him to remain with me."

Lupin sighed, leaning back against the counter once more. "I spoke to Albus earlier too. It was you who made the decision to take him away from his relatives." 

Severus froze. The blasted man had told him. "He had no place telling you," he ground out. At his words Lupin's expression softened.

"He didn't tell me. All he said was that he couldn't elaborate on the details, so it obviously wasn't him," the wolf replied, looking a little apologetic. "It was just a hunch…Harry had already told me that you were the one who went to collect him and you knew so much about his life with the Dursleys."

"I trust you'll keep this knowledge to yourself?" Severus said coldly.

"Why?"

"The child should believe the headmaster cared enough to take him out of that home. He shouldn't have to know how hard I had to fight to persuade Albus that this was for the best."

"He wanted to leave him there?"

"The bloods wards were very important to him. He would rather he was protected from the Dark Lord, should he return, than his relatives."

Lupin frowned, putting his glass down. "Put aside your grudge, Severus. James is dead and now you have a petty vendetta against a thirteen-year-old boy who never even knew the man, who was neglected by his own relatives and needs to feel safe."

Yet another person who somehow thought he could give the boy something more. "I told you that I am not the person for this."

"You're all he's got. If I could take him I would, in a heartbeat, but I can't. I won't have him living in another unhappy situation this summer. Just clear the air, talk to him– do whatever it was that Albus said to do."

"Lupin, I am not equipped to deal with the child."

Lupin looked a little apprehensive as he spoke again. "Severus, we went to school together. You and I both know that your own home life-"

"Don't," Severus cut him off with a shout. He had no right, no place bringing anything to do with his childhood up. "Get out," he barked.

It was clear that Lupin knew he'd overstepped the mark and made to leave. "Harry was quite insistent that I tell you he's in the castle with Sirius, and Albus knows he's here before you say anything." With that he left.

H.P.

Sirius had been thrilled to see Harry midweek but he couldn't stay in human form in the castle in case he was recognised by one of the teachers who occasionally stopped in. It wasn't that bad though. Sirius ran ahead up the shifting staircase, barking loudly.

"Shhh," Harry said, laughing and pulling out the marauders map. "Ah no, she's gone into Filch's office." This pronouncement had Sirius bounding down the corridor in excitement. "Hold on," Harry yelled, chasing after him and almost knocking over Remus.

"What's going on here?" Remus smiled, looking between Harry and the excitable dog.

"We're after Mrs. Norris," Harry answered, grinning as Sirius ran back up the corridor and barked at Remus.

"That cat's a menace," Remus laughed. "Not that I approve of you two terrorizing her."

"We haven't caught up with her yet," Harry said, looking again at the map. "She's still in the office."

"Sirius and I have got to go, but we'll walk you back to Severus' quarters."

Harry's face fell and Sirius butted his hand with his head. He'd taken the task of cheering Harry up very seriously all day, not that it had been to difficult for him, his excitement at seeing Harry again and having the run of the castle was contagious and Harry fast forgot his anxiety while they were messing around.

"Right, we'll see you in a few days. Send us a note if you need anything," Remus said, smiling reassuringly. Harry thought he looked a bit like he didn't want to let him go back in to Snape, so he just smiled, but it felt more like a grimace.

"I'll be fine."

Sirius jumped up on him as a goodbye and Harry patted his head. "See you later."

It was supposed to be dinner time but when Harry went to the kitchen he found that it wasn't ready. Snape was the kind of person who really stuck to their routine; it was always a bad sign when he wasn't following the schedule.

Snape had his arms crossed as he glared at the opposite wall. Had Remus stopping by to tell him where Harry was made him angry? He didn't have a right to be – Sirius was his godfather and if he wanted to see him he could.

He decided to just brave the man's wrath and say something. "Sir?"

It took a moment for him to react. He looked at him for several long seconds before he spoke. "Dinner will be late today. I'll call you when it's ready." 

S.S.

Severus had been deep in thought when the boy had arrived. How is it that he always got stuck in these situations? First, he attempted to protect the boy from his vile relatives and then he got landed with him for the whole summer, and now when he knew that the boy needed more appropriate care from someone better suited to the role, he was told that he had to step up and talk to him. The very idea was ridiculous. He couldn't let this issue continue, that was for certain. If the headmaster was not in fact going to try and find another place for him, then perhaps a civil talk wasn't completely beyond him.

He used his wand to direct a knife to cut up the vegetables and with another flick he heated oil in a pan. Was the boy truly that unhappy here now? Could the argument have affected him that much? If the wolf had not sought him out he would have waited for the issue to pass. After the way the headmaster reacted to the news of his relatives he did not entirely trust his advice. Potter's behaviour had improved somewhat and that was really all he wanted. He gave him food and a room, clothed him, ensured he kept up his studies... He didn't ask to take the boy and he'd already done more for him than his previous guardians had.

Potter had been so comfortable here that he had ran away from his beloved godfather because he feared that if he complained in any way he would be sent back to his relatives. Now, apparently he had gotten to the stage that he would risk worrying his godfather, or the wolf at least, and Severus knew that in the boy's mind that meant risking being taken away. Maybe he did have some sort of responsibility; he did have to protect the emotional wellbeing of the boy. He could give the talk a try at least.

With that thought in mind he went to fetch the boy for dinner.

The boy sat and ate in silence, although Severus did note that he kept shooting him worried looks. He spoke only when he was certain the boy had finished eating. The last thing he needed was for him to waste away under his care.

"Is there something on your mind, Mr. Potter?"

"No, sir," he replied quickly, obviously eager to escape from the table.

It was clear he'd need some coaxing to speak his mind. "Fine, Potter. There is something on mine which concerns you. I had believed our dispute last week to be resolved, but clearly that is not the case."

"What? But I have been better."

"Yes, you have," he said with a nod. "But I may not have been as clear with you as you deserved. I think we should have the discussion again, calmly." 

"Are you serious?" The boy's eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"Quite."

There was a silence, and no doubt the boy was trying to work out if he really could speak plainly. He took a deep breath and steeled his gaze before beginning. "You can't just decide you hate someone and then put them down all the time and make their life miserable. I was only eleven."

"I believed very firmly that you needed to be taken down a peg or two. It was not just that I believed you were just like your father. I assumed you had been brought up as a spoiled, pampered celebrity."

"I didn't even know I was famous until I met Hagrid. I didn't even know I was a wizard! I thought my parents had died in a car crash."

Severus gritted his teeth, not in anger at the boy, but at the outrageousness of the lie. 

"I looked at you, saw your father and took my anger out on you, but my assumption about how you were raised was wrong, as was my assumption about your character."

"What if it's not?" He challenged. "You said you don't hate me because you don't know me. What happens when you get to know me and you figure out I am just like him?"

"You are not your father. I do not wish to discuss him with you," Severus said firmly, trying to keep his tone even.

The child crossed his arms. "Fine. What happens when you get to know me and you don't like who I am?" That was the crux of his fear. There was anger about his cruelty and the unfairness of it, but this was what was keeping him awake.

"I will provide for you as your guardian, no matter my opinion of your character. I do not think it will be an issue, when you are not trying my temper your presence is not wholly unwelcome."

"Oh."

Each time he said something even vaguely complimentary the boy seemed lose track of his argument.

He rapidly picked up a new thread. "Why do I have to do remedial potions? I'm not failing and I'd do better if you weren't breathing down my neck or letting Malfoy throw things in my potions."

"Ensuring you do your homework and that you're reaching your potential is your guardian's job. I'm aware that your potions grades could be higher because you produced a thorough and intelligent essay with no help from Granger."

The boy took in his explanation, though the expression on his face showed exactly what he thought of the idea of living up to his potential in potions. "No one else has to study in the summer."

"The multitude of private tutors charging exorbitant fees will be disappointed to hear that," he deadpanned before answering more seriously. "You will not spend the summer in my care and then hand in mediocre essays. Nor will I allow you to fritter away the entire length of each day when I could spend a couple of hours rectifying your poor performance in my class. I do not believe it is unreasonable to expect you to be productive for two hours each day."

"The Dursleys never made Dudley study," Potter argued, but he seemed more perplexed than angry.

"Your relatives are not the standard I wish to be judged by."