Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 18

H.P.

"Er, right. You guys up for going to the Quidditch pitch and, uh, maybe after that we can go see Hagrid?" Harry suggested, feeling a bit uncomfortable after Snape snapped at him in front of Ron and Hermione.

"Yeah, all right," Ron agreed with a shrug whilst quite obviously taking in Snape's quarters. "This place isn't as dungeon-ish as I thought it'd be."

"Did you think he slept in a coffin and had chains hanging off the walls?" Harry laughed.

He quickly scribbled a note to Snape on a spare piece of parchment, still feeling a little stung at Snape's comment.

"No, well not the coffin bit. I figured he wasn't a vampire after we saw him referee that Quidditch match first year."

Harry caught Hermione rolling her eyes at Ron and suppressed a grin.

"So, what is it like living with Professor Snape?" Hermione asked as they made their way up to the entrance hall.

"It must be pretty terrible. Does he make you scrub cauldrons all day?"

"Don't answer for him, Ron."

"It's not a test, is it?"

"Hey, do you want to know or what?" Harry asked in an attempt to cut off the argument before it started. "It's pretty much like you saw up there. Snape checks I'm alive and fed and then just gives me work to do to keep out of his way or he sends me outside. I have to do remedial potions though."

"At least you'll get something out of that," Hermione said approvingly.

"I don't need remedial potions though, do I? Ron's just as rubbish as I am."

"Our potions aren't rubbish, they're individual."

"He is teaching you though, isn't he?" Hermione asked frowning.

"As much as he usually does," Harry said with a shrug. He felt bad making Snape out to be worse than he was. What could be so wrong about Ron and Hermione knowing he was pretty decent after all?

"Harry?"

"What?"

"You went all quiet, mate. You okay?"

"Yeah, 'course," Harry replied with a smile.


Harry laughed as Ron made a spectacular lunge for the quaffle, almost colliding with the hoop he was supposed to be protecting but managing to knock the ball off course by the tips of his fingers.

"Nice one."

"I might not look great doing it but at least I'm blocking the rings, mate."

"Yeah, I've tried really hard not to let Oliver see my poor Keeping skills. He was really into people being all-rounders."

"Harry, you're the best seeker we've had in ages. I don't think he'd have cared if you couldn't tell a quaffle from a bludger as long as you caught the snitch," Ron said, landing heavily next to Hermione.

"It must be nice having the pitch all to yourself for the holidays," Hermione commented lightly.

"Yeah it is," Harry responded with enthusiasm. "Especially since I got this practice snitch – I'll show you it later – I come out whenever I can."

"Where'd you get a practice snitch?" Ron asked with something akin to awe.

"For my birthday, Sn- Sirius got it for me." Telling them Snape buys me gifts wouldn't have been slipping up at all... Harry chastised himself silently. He wished he at least knew why he was lying. It felt wrong to hide this kind of stuff from them.

"Wow, I didn't know you saw a lot of him."

"Er, yeah," Harry replied with a shrug. He didn't really want to explain that he wasn't seeing eye-to-eye with him at the moment.

He looked over to Hermione, noticing that she was giving him a rather pitying look, but when he caught her eye it disappeared completely.

They returned to Snape's quarters in time for lunch having spent an enjoyable morning out. Hagrid had been thrilled to see all of them, though Harry was a bit caught out when he said he didn't get to see enough of him. He'd mumbled an excuse about Snape not giving him enough time to stop Hermione being suspicious, but he felt bad all the same.


Looking around, Harry noticed that Snape had not yet arrived and led the way to the kitchen. He was eager not to make the man mad again. He'd much rather the visit went as smoothly as possible.

"How did, well, how did all of this happen?" Hermione asked finally. It had become increasingly clear to Harry throughout the morning that Hermione had something she wanted to ask him.

"All of what?" Harry asked casually, sitting himself down at the kitchen table.

"Coming to Hogwarts," she clarified. "Did something happen…?" she asked hesitantly. Ron looked a little uncomfortable but concerned all the same. He obviously knew what she was going to ask.

"No, nothing happened. I'd barely arrived before Snape came to bring me back here. Nothing happened guys, honestly."

The sound of a door opening alerted them to Snape's presence in his quarters and Hermione cast around for a safer subject. "When did you have time to go shopping?" she blurted out, looking at his clothes.

"What?" Harry answered stupidly, caught off guard.

"Your clothes, they're new," Hermione said, regarding him critically and causing Ron to stare as well.

"Uh, well, my old clothes were a bit ragged so I had to get some new ones," Harry answered as Snape swept into the room scowling. It was overdoing it a bit charming the biggest knife in the room to slice a fresh loaf of bread. Maybe it just looked threatening because he was the one directing it.

"You replaced all your clothes?" Ron asked in surprise, eyeing Harry's robes and making him wish he'd just thrown on some muggle clothes instead.

"Uh, yeah." Harry fidgeted awkwardly with his sleeves.

"Jeez, that must have cost a ton."

"Ron!" Hermione scolded loudly.

Snape, having made the sandwiches in record time, slammed the plate into the centre of the table before levelling a glare at Harry. "Really, Potter, showing off about your inherited wealth? We are feeling arrogant today, aren't we?" Snape sneered. "Perhaps you'd like to change the conversation to something with a touch more class?"

Harry, seeing no reason for Snape to want him to keep quiet about his clothes, scowled up at him and retorted angrily. "I don't see how it's showing off, sir, the school paid for them, not me."

"The school doesn't pay for clothes, Harry," Hermione cut in with a frown.

"What?" 

"Obviously the school does not usually pay for clothes Granger, but famous Harry Potter is not above taking advantage of favouritism from the headmaster," Snape said, sending a scathing look at Harry, who was now sitting in utter confusion.

Ron looked as if the world made sense again upon Snape's words, evidently remembering Harry's invisibility cloak and Nimbus 2000 he got from Dumbledore.

Snape clearly considered his work there done because at that he strode out of the room without another glance. What the hell was Snape on about? Where had that money come from? The look on Harry's face must have been furious.

"You don't get used to that, eh?" Ron asked.

The meal continued with an unusually quiet Harry. He tried not to let it show that he was too annoyed with Snape because he couldn't afford more questions from his friends if he was going to keep hiding this, whatever it was, from them. Though why he should have to protect some secret of Snape's when the man was obviously not telling him the truth was a complete mystery to him.

"Oh yeah, I meant to tell you, Dad's definitely getting those tickets for the World Cup. You're coming, right?" Ron asked enthusiastically.

"Yeah!" Harry agreed excitedly. "You're coming too?" he directed at Hermione.

"Of course I am, there'll be loads of international witches and wizards there, not to mention that it's such a key…" Ron rolled his eyes as Hermione continued listing every reason that the World Cup is such an interesting event except the game itself and Harry couldn't smother his grin, instead resorting to hiding it behind one of Snape's sandwiches.

S.S.

This was not good. How could he not have realised that the boy's friends would notice that he was wearing different clothes? He growled in frustration as he levitated Harry's quidditch magazine off the floor and onto the table. He did not want to reveal that he had bought the clothes but the boy was bright and it was only a matter of time before he became aware that it was a possibility.

Severus stopped his tidying when there was a knock at the main door and he took a moment to open it, ignoring the trio in the kitchen who had yet to leave again. He greeted the headmaster with a nod and decided that it would be best to speak in his office if they wanted any measure of privacy. He would much prefer to speak freely without the possibility of the Golden Trio eavesdropping.

He joined the headmaster in the corridor and led the way to his office, noticing that he seemed was a lot more sombre than usual. It was only when they were both seated that the silence was broken.

The headmaster set his steady gaze on him for a few moments before speaking firmly. "I believe it's time we discussed Harry's options." Options… The word sounded ominous to Severus, who was certain that he would not like many of these options, nor would he consider them as such. "Harry cannot stay here for the entirety of the summer unquestioned. I have already had to answer to other members of staff at the school and it is only a matter of time before the ministry begin to question his presence here."

"And what have you been telling people?"

"That Harry is staying with you because he needs remedial potions. It is not a particularly plausible reason as it stands and the longer he remains here the less likely it will seem."

"Where exactly do you propose he goes?" 

"Well, we've come to the real problem. Harry's permanent residence must afford him the utmost protection from Voldemort. It is only a matter of time before he returns and I will not have Harry put at risk. We also need to consider that in order to change Harry's guardians it will need to be processed via the ministry. Harry's private life will not remain so–"

"I believe you wanted to discuss his options," Severus interrupted. He had yet to hear a single one.

"I do not see that Harry has any options. There is only one that can give him the protection he needs, he must go back."

"No."

"The boy must be protected, and the blood wards are the best protection he can have. You would have me sacrifice his safety?"

"You are sacrificing his safety. He needs protection from more than the Dark Lord. Those muggles have done enough damage."

"I will not send him back without ensuring he has as much protection from the Dursleys as it is possible for him to have. I will speak to them myself; he will not be mistreated by them again."

"No, he will be neglected and I will not have it. He cannot go back there. I promised him that he would not return." 

"That was not your promise to make."

"He is not going back."

"It is not your decision. I allowed his presence at the school when you rushed in blindly with no thought to his safety and brought him back here and I had every intention of finding another option for him if there was one, but there is not."

"Whose decision is it? Perhaps the boy's godfather would like to have a say in this. I take it you've spoken to Black?"

"Severus, have you any better ideas?" the headmaster asked with more than a touch of impatience.

"I have…some thoughts," he replied in a guarded tone.

"Severus, please."

"I need a few days to talk to Harry and to sort out the details. Give me some time."

"We do not have time, my boy."

"We have enough. If it was so pressing I'm sure you would have mentioned this sooner. I need forty-eight hours and then we can see where we stand."

He would have to speak to the wolf and Black. He had no intention of speaking to or remaining in the same room with the dog unless it was absolutely necessary, so he would have to trust Lupin to relay the details. Surely if the mutt counted himself as anything like a real wizard, he'd be able to get back to Lupin's home in a timely manner, if it was for Harry.

He would need the support of the pair of them if he was going to slow down the headmaster's plans. Then it would be simply a case of sorting out where to place the child. Harry must be protected, so he would need to live with someone who was both powerful and trusted... a former member of the Order? One of the teachers? Perhaps the Weasley family if suitable provision could be made…

The sight of Harry waiting for him alone in his quarters interrupted his planning. Unusually, Harry made no move to greet him as he entered the room.

"Where are your friends?" He would not be pleased if they were roaming around unsupervised, at least if they were all together he could handle them.

"We saw McGonagall on the way back up and she saw them out when we couldn't find you."

"I was speaking to the headmaster. I did not think they would be leaving so soon."

"What was all that stuff earlier?" It was quite obvious to Severus that Harry was ready for an argument but it was not one that he had prepared for after having been distracted by the headmaster.

"You were made aware that I would have to act a certain part, were you not?" Severus asked, stalling the inevitable.

"I'm not talking about you being a– you acting like that. These weren't from Dumbledore," Harry said, gesturing down at his robes.

"I've never led you to believe they were. It would be clear to anyone with two brain cells to rub together that I was attempting to put a halt to your friends' questions."

"No," Harry disagreed angrily. "You said it because Hermione said the school fund didn't pay for clothes and you agreed with her because it doesn't. You lied to me."

"You're calling me a liar, Potter?"

"Yeah, I am. Who paid for them?"

"Detention, Potter. Speak to me like that again and you'll find yourself spending a long summer indoors." Just as Snape dealt out that threat it occurred to him that if the headmaster had his way Harry's summer would have nothing to do with him.

"Then I won't wear them. Take them back, and I'll buy my own," Harry insisted stubbornly and Severus found it increasingly difficult to stop himself from snapping at the boy. He had much more important things on his mind. He did not have time to think about clothes he'd paid for more than a month ago.

"Stop being so melodramatic, Potter."

"It's Harry and I'm not being melodramatic. I want to know who I'm accepting all this stuff from. I don't need handouts; I have my own money."

"It was not a handout. I explained that to you when I bought them, you ignorant boy," Severus snapped.

"You bought them?" Harry stared at him for a long while as if he didn't recognise him. "Why would you even…?"

"Your clothes were substandard and I rectified the issue." He summoned the jar of floo powder, catching it deftly. "Drop it, Harry."

"What did you buy them for?" Harry demanded stubbornly.

"I bought them for you. What do you think I bought them for?" Severus snapped back whilst trying to decide whether Lupin's sway would be enough to delay the headmaster for the time-being or if he should attempt to send word to Black immediately.

"I don't know. So that I'd owe you or something," Harry answered, still very much in the argument. Severus stilled suddenly upon hearing his words.

"You think I plan to hold them over your head?" Severus hissed, his irritation winning over his patience. 'You think I plan to use it against you?" he asked, slamming the jar hard against the mantel.

"Well–"

"Get out of my sight," Severus demanded.

"What?"

"Go to your room. I have no wish to see you."

"But–"

"You're already spending tomorrow morning scrubbing cauldrons, shall I make it the afternoon too?"

The boy fled to his room shutting the door with a snap. The moment Harry was gone he regretted speaking so harshly. Highly insulting as his words had been they surely stemmed more from his insecurity then anything else, but he had neither the time nor the patience to deal with that issue now. It was best the boy was out of the way while he tried to sort this out. He'd rather speak to Harry with some solution in mind than upset him with the possibility of returning to the Dursleys.

H.P.

What was that? Okay, part of him did know that it could have been a teeny tiny possibility that Snape had bought the clothes. If it had been anyone else with him he'd have realised it in an instant, but this was Snape! The minute the thought came into his head it was laughed right out again by all of his other brain cells. Snape had hated him back then, really hated him. Why would he buy him clothes if not to do something horrible?

Snape was really mad… Of course he wasn't going to hold them over him, he hadn't done anything like that with the snitch he'd bought him either. Merlin, Snape must be paying for all the food he eats as well. He assumed when Snape said that the school would pay for his clothes that he would get some sort of extra funding for taking him in. The Dursleys always moaned about how expensive it was keeping him…

He'd really insulted him. He'd been paying loads of money to take in some kid he hated from the start and he'd accused him of doing it for some underhand reason. Maybe that would have made sense to him before, but now, after everything he'd had done and giving up his summer, Snape must think he's so ungrateful.

S.S.

Firstly he'd need to speak to Lupin. He'd wanted to have a word about Harry anyway and undoubtedly this would be a long conversation. Deciding he wouldn't make it back in time to prepare any food, he requested an elf bring something to the table and apply a heating charm so that Harry would have a warm dinner for whenever he wanted.

He threw a handful of powder into the fire, calling out 'Lupin's study' as he did so.

The wolf looked surprised to see his head appear in his fire without warning, but as always allowed him to come through.

"Severus," he greeted warily.

"I'm going to make this quick, wolf, but I want to make sure the message gets through loud and clear." Lupin's eyebrows rose in surprise at the venom in Severus' voice but he didn't interrupt. "How is it after teaching at Hogwarts for a year you still have no idea how to look after a child for a matter of hours?"

Remus was looking at him in some confusion, which only served to irritate him further. "Time and time again, that boy returns to me less than happy. I'm beginning to think that it isn't worth the bother of bringing him here at all."

"Now, hold on, Severus."

"You hold on. He comes home covered in bruises and blisters that you should have healed or reported to me. You are incapable of keeping him either happy or healthy–"

"Bruises?"

"He fell over at that damned ice rink!"

"I didn't realise he was hurt. If I'd known–"

"You are not paying him enough attention! You bring that mutt here and leave Potter with him with no regard to the idiotic things he might say or do. Black is a menace."

"He's his godfather and your rivalry with him doesn't change that. He can see his godson as much as he likes."

"It seems to me that if these visits were stopped then he'd have no way of seeing the boy."

"If I recall correctly, it was you who set them up."

"And I can see that I made a mistake."

"Severus, stop. Look, I'm sorry, I didn't know that Harry was hurt. I thought he'd say something."

"He never says anything, not about being sick or hurt or in danger. You have to pay attention."

"I let him down, okay? I let him down and it won't happen again. This thing with Sirius, it will sort itself out. You've had worse arguments with Harry, so I don't see how it's your concern."

"I have to deal with it so I think it's my concern, Lupin."

"Let him come at the weekend. I've heard you loud and clear."

"He's not going anywhere this weekend. If you want to see him then come to the castle. I want you where I can see you."

"Severus, really?" Remus quickly realised that he wasn't going to win. "Sirius too."

"I do not think so."

"Harry won't be happy until this is sorted out. Don't stop him from seeing Sirius; he won't thank you for it."

"What makes you think I care about what he'll thank me for?"

Remus rolled his eyes which only served to irritate Severus more. "Is that all?"

"No. Potter needs a favour."

"What?"

"The headmaster wants to send him back."

"To his relatives?" Severus sent him a scathing look at the stupidity of his question and promptly ignored it.

"I won't have him go back. It is not a suitable home for a child."

"No, no, you're right. I can't believe he wants to send him back. You told him everything?"

"Obviously."

"What could he possibly be thinking?"

"He's using the Dark Lord as a reason, and the blood wards there are his best protection. The headmaster thinks that there is no suitable alternative that will provide him with enough safety."

"What alternatives has he offered?"

"None. He says there are none."

"What do you want me to do?"

"I need time. I have some ideas but I need you to stall him. He overrides all my objections, so I need yours and Black's support."

"Of course we'll talk to Albus; it goes without saying. What are your ideas?"

"They are not quite concrete. We need a solution that gives Harry– Potter," Severus added his surname after a fraction of a second, hoping that it sounded like an ironic use of his full name, "has adequate protection from the Dark Lord. We also need a solution that bypasses the ministry. We cannot afford their interference. Potter cannot go through the system and receive adequate protection. The boy would probably be more comfortable living with someone he trusts so that would be the final thing to consider.

"The level of protection is the headmaster's main priority. We cannot keep him on school property in the summer without the ministry realising, so he needs to live with someone who is happy living under the most stringent wards. That person must also be willing to protect Harry and be a competent witch or wizard. That, I think, will satisfy his requirements."

"How can we make all that happen?"

"The muggles do not want him. They will not object to us taking him out of their care. For the time being... Perhaps an agreement of sorts can be drawn up. They will remain his official guardians but relinquish secondary power to the person who is given responsibility of Potter."

"Do you have anyone in mind?"

"That is what will require the time. I need to approach people who the boy knows and who would also satisfy the headmaster. And I need time to explain the situation."

"How is Harry taking this?"

"I haven't told him yet," Severus admitted. "Perhaps you could make yourself useful and help me come up with people who would volunteer for this? And summon the mutt and explain the situation."

"I may have to fill him in on some details…"

"He doesn't know about the boy's family?"

"He doesn't exactly know specifics, just the general idea."

H.P.

He really had screwed everything up. Snape hadn't called him out or come in to speak to him and it had been ages. He should never have said that he thought Snape would do that. He obviously wouldn't, he knew that he wouldn't. Snape hadn't used his family to make fun of him even when they'd been screaming at each other and Snape had hated him. It's just weird that he'd go and spend a load of money on him when he didn't even like him. He deserved some sort of explanation at least!

He wished he'd eaten more at lunch. He was a bit hungry but he wouldn't inflict his company on Snape, not if he was still really mad. He wouldn't want to see him. Gryffindor he might be but, truth be told, he was too ashamed to face him.


S.S.

He returned much later than he thought he would and, casting tempus as he stepped out of the fire, he noted that it was close to midnight. He had flooed out just as Black was due to arrive after agreeing on a course of action with Lupin. The sooner they approach the headmaster the more comfortable he'd feel. He caught a glimpse of the kitchen and frowned, seeing that none of the food had been touched. Was Harry ill? Had he not noticed?

He knocked quickly on the boy's bedroom door before sweeping it open to find Harry hunched over fully clothed on his bed, clearly nodding off. In a second was by his side. "Harry?" he called and receiving no response proceeded to the harsher and louder 'Potter!'

"Hmm?" Harry mumbled.

"Are you ill?" Severus asked as Harry blinked up at him.

"No…"

"You don't feel sick? Do you have a headache?" Severus asked quickly, peering down at him as if to ascertain by sight whether Harry was unwell.

"No," Harry replied, clearly confused. Severus' demeanour changed in an instant from one of concern to one of anger.

"Kitchen. Now," he growled.

"What?"

"Move!"

Harry drowsily made his way into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes as he sat at the table. When the smell of the food hit him he woke right up, glancing over at Severus. "I take it eating hasn't suddenly become a foreign concept to you?"

Harry chose to ignore Severus' tone, going instead for a forkful of the food.

"Why didn't you eat while I was out?" Severus asked. How badly could he think of him that after this last month or more he still thought that he would plan on holding his poor family life over him? And now he even seems to think that Severus doesn't want him to eat. At what point did it become so important to him that Harry not think those things?

"Didn't know you were out," Harry said through a mouthful of rice.

"You thought that on top of buying you things in order to hold them against you, that I wanted to starve you as punishment?" Severus questioned angrily, his arms crossed and an eyebrow arched in displeasure.

"No," Harry said loudly, putting down his cutlery and looking upset.

"Explain then, Potter," Severus asked wearily, settling himself opposite the boy at the table and helping himself to a plate as well.

"Harry," the younger wizard demanded.

"Harry," Severus agreed, correcting himself.

"You said to stay in my room. You didn't want to see me so I didn't think I was supposed to come out. I wasn't about to make everything worse by annoying you even more."

"You will eat three meals a day here no matter how much you infuriate me. I was under the impression that you realised this."

"I do. I just didn't think. Look, I'm sorry, I don't think you'd buy me stuff to hold it over me."

Severus put up a hand to stop him. "I had never intended on telling you that I paid for the clothes," he started and considered Harry for a moment. "If you would not have accepted them from me before I would hope that you would accept them from me now, knowing that I have no plans to hold them over you."

"Sir… they were expensive. I can get my own clothes."

"I will say it one more time. A child does not buy their own basic necessities. You do not pay rent, you do not buy clothes and you do not pay for food here. I pay for it, I took you in, it is my pleasure," Severus bit out, his voice growing more irritated as he spoke so that the last words came out through gritted teeth.

"I had clothes," Harry said quietly, not quite ready to give up.

"They were not good enough."

"Merlin and you bought me the coat," he said suddenly, his eyes widening as he remembered and Severus tried hard to bite back his irritation as he was well aware that it was not entirely the boy's fault that he could not accept the clothes.

"This is exactly why I did not want you to know. Let. It. Go."

Harry considered him for a moment. "If we're okay?"

"Pardon?"

"I'll let it go if we're okay. I'll take the clothes and I won't go on about it if you forget about what I said earlier."

"The punishment stands," Severus said standing up, and noticing that Harry's expression could not look that distressed at the prospect of scrubbing cauldrons. "We are fine. Go back to bed."