Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 25

S.S.

By the time it was morning and Severus' initial anger had waned it was difficult not to regret how he'd handled the confrontation with Harry. All the little things he'd resolved not to do or say when he took the child in he'd done and now he'd put himself in the foolish position of having to simultaneously deal with almost every problem that had arisen between them.

He allowed Harry the liberty of sulking over his breakfast uninterrupted, but spoke the moment Harry let his spoon clatter against the table and made to get up.

"Do you not think we have things to discuss?"

Harry heaved a great sigh in response before dropping back into his seat with exhausted resignation. "Look, sir, I don't want to argue all the time but sometimes you're wrong too." His tone made it evident that as far as he was concerned this was, in fact, one of those times and they weren't all that few and far between.

Severus didn't wait to say what he knew he must, loathe as he was to admit he'd been in error. "I should not have spoken to you in that manner. I made a commitment to call you by your forename and that is what I intend to do. I should have seen that it was important to you."

Harry blinked confusedly for a moment before agreeing. "Well, yeah, it is."

"I'd like to know why." Of course he had an idea himself but he no longer cared to make assumptions or tiptoe around Harry's denials and worries.

"Er, I'd rather not talk about it." Severus stared stonily back and Harry rolled his eyes. "Look you're just going to think I'm stupid so."

"I will not mock you. I'm giving you the opportunity to speak your mind."

Harry crossed his arms. "You're not going to listen anyway. I tell you all the time not to call me 'boy' but you do it anyway. 'Stupid boy', 'ridiculous boy'," he said, imitating Severus' scathing tone. "And you know I hate it."

"I believe I just admitted that I was wrong to speak to you in that way even if I was not aware that you found it upsetting. Need I say it again?"

"I don't find it upsetting. I'm not a baby."

"I know that it upsets you but I would like to know why. I have an idea, but I would rather you explained it yourself."

Harry said nothing for a moment as if considering what to say. "What idea?" Harry asked suddenly, narrowing his eyes.

"Your relatives referred to you in the same manner and the reminder is no doubt unpleasant, but you must know that I do not see you in the same light."

"Why would I know that? The minute I do something to make you angry you hate me again."

"I do not hate you," Severus insisted, appalled at the idea that he'd sent such inconsistent signals to the child.

"Right," Harry scoffed. "It's just like before. You call me Potter or some insult or boy because you hate me again. You think I'm arrogant and like my father."

"No, it is habit," Severus interrupted firmly. "When I'm angry with you, Potter is the name that comes to mind because it's how I used to refer to you. It is nothing more meaningful than a bad habit that I've yet to break."

"Fine," Harry agreed after a moment, still managing to hold onto his anger. "It might be like that with the whole Potter thing, but you never used to call me boy, not really, not until I came to live with you."

"And you've deduced why, I take it?"

H.P.

Condescending git. As if he hadn't had enough time with the Dursleys to realise why they never bothered to call him by his name. "You don't want to bother with me. You think I'm a waste of space."

"This is why I call you bloody names, Harry," Snape interrupted. "It's absolute idiocy. How many times do you need to hear me say that you're welcome here?"

"Yeah, well, people can outstay their welcome, can't they?" 

"Accio guardianship agreement." Snape thrust the document under his nose. "Read it. You seem to be under the impression that you are a guest in this house. You are not a guest; you are entitled to be here. This is your home."

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean you want me here," Harry said before he could stop himself.

"I do not know whether this is so difficult for you because of your mistreatment by your relatives or by myself. Despite what I've caused you to believe I do not have underlying feelings of hatred towards you. I was frustrated and angry and I expressed it in an inappropriate way."

"So… is that your version of an apology, then?" Harry asked, looking up at Snape.

"Yes," Snape replied uncomfortably and Harry grinned. He'd got Snape to apologise. Well, not exactly but he agreed that was what it was, so it counted for something.

"I still don't think it's fair for you to give me lines about respect when you don't speak to me right either."

"Indeed?" Snape replied thoughtfully. "I still want you to do the lines – don't pull that face – but I will endeavour to call you Harry and only Harry, even if we're arguing."

"Can't I just say I'll endeavour not to be cheeky when we're arguing?"

"No, and you could endeavour not to be cheeky all the time." He seemed to lose steam for a moment, an expression of uncertainty crossing his features. "I was going to suggest that you call me Severus."

"Severus?" Harry repeated, certain that Snape had lost his mind.

"Or sir. I'm not your teacher at home. Perhaps you'll realise that it's difficult to break such a habit. Is that any more even?"

"A bit," Harry replied, when he found his voice. A part of him couldn't help giving a mental 'Ha!' to Malfoy. Not so special now, was he? It was a shame he couldn't actually say it to his pointy, smug face. Snape's voice cut through Harry's inner rant about Malfoy.

"Harry, if I did not want you here then you would not be."

S.S.

As discussions between the two of them went this was certainly one of the most successful. There had yet to be any raised voices (or outright screaming) and it appeared that Harry had gotten the message. It would seem that his Gryffindor brain needed a bit more reinforcement than one or two admissions of non-hatred. It must be all the ridiculous sentimentality in that house… It was, after all, only one step away from Hufflepuff.

So from one difficult subject onto another. He could only hope that Harry would be able to deal with it better than he had done previously.

"Then we have something else to discuss. I'm leaving this afternoon to visit the Malfoys."

"Today?" Harry asked, dismayed, and Severus inwardly winced at how young he sounded.

"I've asked Lupin to floo through and stay with you this afternoon. I trust you're happy with that."

"No."

"You don't want to see Lupin?" Severus clarified, raising an eyebrow in surprise.

"No, I don't want you to go."

"Nevertheless, I will be going," Severus replied firmly. "As I said yesterday I will only be giving Lucius a very vague idea that you are not happy at home and that Professor Dumbledore may suspect that you are not being treated as well as you ought to be."

"Can't you just say that you don't know why I had to live at the castle?"

"And intimate that I am neither in the headmaster's confidence or favour? Harry, you were incredibly easy to bait. They know that you do not particularly like your relatives; I would merely be confirming that you have reason."

"You can't ask me to be okay with you going over there to talk about how pathetic I am."

"You are not pathetic. I know this is not easy for you but I will say as little as possible. I will merely plant the idea that the headmaster may be considering looking for somewhere new to place you."

Harry narrowed his eyes as if he was considering finding that an acceptable situation. "So what are you actually going to say about me?"

"That you were an absolute nightmare and that the headmaster knows that you do not get along with your relatives but he suspected you were being treated inappropriately. Obviously I'll dress that up with what an arrogant… young man you are and how you no doubt complained to the headmaster for attention and it is yet another example of the old fool's favouritism towards the boy-who-lived."

"I guess that's not too bad."

"I cannot promise that you will not be the subject of ridicule at school."

"Yeah, I think I'm used to that," Harry said. He nodded, satisfied that the child was aware of the possible consequences. He had taken it remarkably calmly compared to how he he had reacted earlier.


"Go and wait for Lupin in the other room," Severus growled. Harry had been lingering in the kitchen since Severus had announced he was leaving that afternoon. His previous pride in his attitude had evaporated with Harry continuously picking at the subject.

"I just don't see why you have to bring anything for Malfoy," Harry said, eyeing the small package he intended to give Draco when he arrived at the manor.

"Your jealousy towards Draco is both childish and ridiculous." And it has not gone unnoticed. At least in some ways his behaviour is entirely predictable.

"Jealousy?" Harry spluttered. "I'm not jealous of Malfoy!"

"You shouldn't be," Severus replied, ignoring Harry's denial.

"You got all angry at me for fighting at the Quidditch World Cup but he gets a present," Harry pointed out, changing tack after a moment's silence.

"You know full well that I'm playing a part. I shouldn't even know that the pair of you were duelling."

"I wasn't duelling; I didn't even have my wand," Harry retorted stubbornly.

"Enough, Harry. Wait for Lupin in the living room. You can start that essay while you're at it," Severus ordered, trying not to be drawn into an argument. At least not when Harry was doing it on purpose.

"Right, I'll go write an essay and lines and I get banned from Hogsmeade and you're going to go and spend an afternoon with the Malfoys making fun of me and giving them presents," Harry said, finally making to leave the room. Severus growled in frustration. He wasn't that good an actor. Much as he wanted to draw Severus in, he wasn't making the problem up.

"Come here. It is an act, Harry."

"It's not an act that you like Malfoy," Harry replied stubbornly.

"It does not have to be a problem that I get on with Draco."

"You don't like Sirius and he hasn't picked on you for years, decades even. I hate Draco now."

"I will keep my dislike of your godfather to myself in future–"

"It's not like Sirius is going to waltz over here and try to kill your friend's pets or throw stuff in your cauldron or call your friends a mudblood." Severus crossed his arms. He must be too easy on him if he thought he could interrupt Severus in what was a more than generous gesture on his part.

"If you think that by trying to argue with me that I'm going to stay, you are very much mistaken. The fact that I am fond of Draco has nothing to do with how much I care about you," Severus replied, frustration winning out.

Harry swallowed loudly into the silence before blurting. "No one says `fond` anymore."

"Out."

"I'm not too early am I? Hello Harry." Lupin had appeared in the kitchen doorway looking as dishevelled as ever and Severus' eyes narrowed in dislike. The man was a necessary evil he would have to deal with now that he had Harry to look after.

"It's common courtesy to announce your arrival in someone else's home."

"I did, Severus, but I think you two were occupied. How have you been Harry?" he asked brightly, turning his attention to the child.

"Good. I–" Severus swept out of the room feeling distinctly uncomfortable. He wondered how much Lupin had heard before he'd made his presence known.

H.P.

Lupin still looked scruffy but he also looked marginally healthier than he had done the last time Harry had seen him. He couldn't be sure whether it was because of the phases of the moon, the fact that Sirius was back or he was looking after himself better since he'd gotten a muggle job. He was grateful he'd bothered to come out and stay with him while Snape was gone, and knowing Snape's mood he'd probably never leave him alone again, but he hardly needed a babysitter.

"Don't do dinner for him this evening. I'll sort it out when I get back," Snape barked out rudely to Remus on his way to the floo. "And you," he said when he reached Harry, "Behave yourself."

"Bye, then."

He turned to Remus once Snape had disappeared. "You'd never guess I was fourteen the way he treats me."

"Overprotective is he?" Remus asked and Harry scoffed in reply.


S.S.

It was too long since he had visited the manor. The gates were almost beginning to look imposing again. He wasted no time in striding up the walk to the front door, ignoring the elaborate and lavish gardens surrounding him. There was a time when Lucius' wealth and pretension had impressed him but that had long passed.

A house elf greeted him at the door and led him into Lucius' formal living room. He must have been eager to discuss this past summer as it was a mere moment before the man himself appeared.

"Severus, welcome. It really has been too long." Lucius was looking more casual than he'd seen him of late. When they'd exchanged news and pleasantries when the governors were convening he did his best to look as wealthy and intimidating as possible. It was a sign of how long they'd known each other that he'd dispensed with his usual finery. Then again, the man was no fool, the ministry may believe Severus might still be on the side of the Dark Lord but Lucius would be harder to convince. It was altogether possible that he was attempting to put Severus at ease in the hope that he might reveal that he was not as loyal as he'd like to appear.

"It has. I have had a somewhat eventful summer; it's kept me busier than I'd have liked."

"So I heard." Lucius gestured for him to have a seat. "The Potter boy in your care? One might wonder how that might come about."

Just then a house elf appeared at Severus' elbow holding a tray of drinks and he picked one up, settling back in the armchair, appearing completely at ease.

"It would seem I played my part too well. It's quite something to be trusted with the headmaster's precious golden boy."

"Even for Dumbledore you're an unusual choice given your history with the boy. You must be a better actor than even I thought if he believed you were willing to take Potter in."

"He knew I was not willing," Severus sneered as if remembering an unpleasant conversation. "I was not his first choice but it would seem I'm trusted enough to be one, which would have been fortuitous had it not landed me with Potter."

"And how was your first foray into parenthood? Has it made you want to settle down with a nice pureblood witch?" Lucius asked with a smirk. Severus ignored the jibe. 

"The insufferable brat would put any sane man off parenting. Impudent and spoiled beyond belief, it's little wonder his guardians have lasted so long."

"Lasted so long? They don't adore the boy along with the rest of the wizarding community?" Lucius was more than transparent. It was almost humorous having the man attempt to manoeuvre him.

"Obviously not as much as Potter would like. I suspect he's made claims against them, enough to make the headmaster worry."

"He's taking the boy seriously?" 

"Potter can do no wrong in Dumbledore's eyes," he answered, placing his empty glass back on the house elf's tray.

"I assume he wasn't impressed when he was sent back?"

"He kicked up quite the fuss," Severus replied, allowing a smirk to cross his features. "I suspect he'll play quite the martyr on his return to school. Speaking of school, how is Draco?"

"He's well, caught up with his subjects. I expect him to do better this year," Lucius commented darkly and Severus recalled how Granger's higher marks were a constant source of irritation for both Draco and his father. "How did you find his work in potions last term?"

"He's a competent brewer for his age…"

H.P.

"I take it you two have been arguing again," Remus commented lightly, settling himself into Snape's couch.

"He went mental at me yesterday," Harry admitted with a grimace.

"More so than usual?" Remus replied with a slight grin.

"He banned me from Hogsmeade."

Remus frowned slightly. "Any particular reason?" 

Harry sighed. It always sounded worse than it was when he described it. "I got into a bit of trouble at the World Cup. My wand was stolen and it turned out a Death Eater had taken it and some ministry people thought that I'd put that Dark Mark in the sky. And I got into a fight with Malfoy."

"A duel?"

"I didn't actually have my wand." Harry clarified before continuing. "Banning me from Hogsmeade and making me write a massive essay is completely going overboard. I didn't do any of it on purpose. You're on my side, right?" Harry asked when Remus didn't immediately reply.

Remus took a breath and considered Harry a moment longer. "It might not be what I'd have chosen, but it's up to Severus how he punishes you."

Harry let his jaw drop, aghast. Remus was actually on Snape's side with this? "You don't think it's out of order?"

"It isn't what I've done in his place, but I can see why he's done it."

"You're actually sticking up for Snape?" Harry asked incredulously. "I wasn't trying to break his rules or make him mad."

"I'm not saying you were and I'm sure Severus knows that too. It's not how I would have dealt with you but I'm not your guardian."

"So you're not going to say anything? That's it? I'm banned from Hogsmeade. Sirius signed the form." Harry almost winced at how whiny he sounded. He wasn't trying to be childish but it wasn't fair. Sirius would have stuck up for him.

"I'll have a word with him but if this is what he thinks is best then you'll have to accept it. He's right to punish you. I'm not telling you off, that's Severus' place but you don't need me to tell you that you did something wrong."

"But I wasn't trying to do anything wrong."

"Then you know for next time. Enough of this, what do you normally do here?"

"Um, nothing really. I've got chess."

"I think I saw a television upstairs when I was doing the warding."

"You're joking? Snape's got a telly!" Harry laughed, momentarily forgetting his irritation that Remus wasn't on his side.


S.S.

"Why is my ward watching a television?" Severus asked the minute he'd stepped out of the floo that afternoon. Harry was staring quite avidly at an ancient television that he recognised as his own.

"There's not too much magic here. We got it to work!" Harry said with more excitement than he wanted to hear about such a ridiculous contraption.

"I can see that."

"There's not much to do here for a boy Harry's age, Severus," Lupin replied, getting up to fetch his cloak. Severus' lips thinned to a line. He knew very well that this house wasn't ideal.

"He's got lines and an essay to write. I imagine that's plenty for the time-being." Harry chose that moment to go temporarily deaf and Lupin rolled his eyes before heading into the kitchen. Undoubtedly the wolf had some more parenting tips to share.

"I spoke to Harry about the World Cup."

"Before I receive your opinion on the subject, remind me how many children you've brought up?"

"If you're aiming to get through to Harry banning him from Hogsmeade and making him write an essay…it's a bit excessive. He's used to excessive punishments but I don't think he respects them or learns from them."

"Are you insinuating that my punishment is tantamount to child abuse or neglect?" Severus asked coldly.

"No, I'm just saying that it's harsher than necessary and that Harry won't learn from it."

"You taught Harry defence for a year and spent a couple of afternoons with him, of course you know him better. Do go on."

Lupin responded as if he hadn't spoken. "Talk to him. Don't make him write an essay. He didn't think he was doing anything wrong otherwise he wouldn't have done it. You need to tell him what he did wrong calmly, not yelling at him."

"An essay is not an excessive punishment. I've set students essays for far more trivial things than what Harry did."

"You've already banned him from Hogsmeade, I'd think that's punishment enough without rubbing it in."

"Harry's in charge of how many Hogsmeade visits he misses," Severus replied dismissively and Lupin looked at him with confusion.

"He's under the impression that he's banned for life." It was Severus' turn to roll his eyes. He stalked back out into the living room and switched off the television.

"Harry. I said yesterday that you were banned until I was satisfied that you took the threat to your life seriously. What did you think I meant?" Harry glanced back at the kitchen to where he'd left Lupin.

"I thought you'd just decide whenever you wanted to… or never." Severus scowled. It was as if no one listened to him. "How am I supposed to show you that you can trust me if you won't let me go out?" Harry asked defensively.

"Write me the essay and we'll talk about it," Severus replied shortly, striding back into the kitchen.

"I do not require you or any other flea-bitten animal to tell me how to raise my ward. You agreed he could be in my care and I won't have you or Black questioning every punishment I give him. You can say goodbye to Harry on your way out," he said, dismissing Lupin.

"I was attempting to give you some advice, Severus. I'm not here to fight with you."

"I do not need your advice."

"You might think about letting Sirius see him."

"Know when to stop, Lupin."

"I'll be available next time you need someone to look after Harry," he said, finally leaving.

"Prof– Sir. Severus? What's going on at school this year? Ron's brother kept going on about some big secret."

"Students aren't supposed to know about it until it's announced at the feast," Severus replied.

"You're not my teacher now, you're my guardian, so you can tell me," Harry grinned.

"And I suppose Arthur Weasley felt the same way?"

"But–" Harry started, his face falling in disappointment.

"Calm down, Harry. Lucky for you I don't always agree with the Weasleys and, as you rightly said, I am your guardian. The ministry is bringing back the Triwizard Tournament to Hogwarts, which in turn means quidditch is cancelled."

"They're cancelling quidditch? Are you serious?" It was hard not to smile at how horror struck Harry looked.

"Indeed. It's a highly dangerous competition between three wizarding schools and, before you get any ideas, you're far too young to compete. There's an age limit."

"I never said I wanted to compete," Harry said defensively.

"If you've no intention of starting that essay tonight you can make sure you've got everything you need for school. Accio Harry's dress robes. I ordered your robes for you; you can put them with the rest of your things."

"I'm not wearing these– they're Slytherin!"

"They're green. Don't be so melodramatic," Severus said dismissively.

"They're green and silver!"

"I hardly had a Slytherin badge stitched on to the back." At his words Harry immediately checked to see whether there was in fact a giant serpent anywhere on the robes. "You'd have preferred something in red and gold?"

"No. Fine, they're not that bad."

"Go and sort it out quickly. I want to have dinner before it gets dark."

"What are we having?"

"You can choose. You need to stretch your legs and you can't fly this late." Harry's face brightened at the idea of getting out of the house. "You're not picking anywhere you have to queue for a meal."