Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

“What potions did you just make?” Harry asked.

His father looked surprised. He just exited the potions lab and found his son already in the corridor. He had not expected his son to wait for him there. “I just brewed Wolfsbane,” he nonchalantly answered. “How long did you wait for me?”

“Not long. I would knock the door when it suddenly opened,” Harry told him.

“It’s not ‘suddenly’, Son,” his father countered. He held Harry’s hand. Harry didn’t object it. The dungeons were a bit dark but he already knew them by heart, so he didn’t feel frightened again. Besides, he liked to reach out and seek his father’s big hand. He felt safer that way.

“Is that for Uncle Remus?” Harry asked again. They walked slowly to their chambers. “The potions, I mean.”

“Yes, it’s for him,” his father answered.

Harry tightened his hold on his father’s hand. “Does Uncle Remus become a real werewolf when it’s full moon? Is it true?” he hesitated.

His father stiffened considerably but they still continued walking.

Harry tugged his father’s hand to remind him that he still hadn’t answered his question.

“Are you afraid of him now?” his father carefully asked back.

“A little bit,” Harry admitted. “But Uncle Remus is always kind to me,” he said thoughtfully.

“He’s not bad,” his father grumbled.

“Teddy told me, Daddy. He told me that once in a month his father becomes a werewolf. That’s why Teddy stays with us.” Harry stopped talking when they entered their quarters.

His father was silent. It was unnerving for Harry. It was different kind of quiet, the one that made him feel uncomfortable. Harry timidly glanced at his father, who seemed to be thinking hard. His father frowned. His expressions showed a man who was fighting a battle inside. Harry followed him to the kitchen and sipped his pumpkin juice obediently.

His father sighed. “You know that there are many magical creatures in our world, don’t you?” Harry nodded. “Lupin—Uncle Remus is a unique case. He…” his father struggled for words. “…he changes into something else in the full moon. But it’s painful, Son.”

“Painful?” Harry was terrified. He liked Uncle Remus. Hearing he’s in pain made him feel pain too. Harry gripped his goblet very tight. His face paled.

“The bones grow, the skins break. It’s not pleasant,” his father explained.

“You make potions for Uncle Remus so that he won’t feel pain?” Harry quietly asked.

His father saw his stricken face. It’s not easy to explain several things to a seven year old boy. “To reduce the pain, yes. And to make him not dangerous.” His father chose careful words. He had not expected his son to remember what Wolfsbane was for. He had considered telling Harry about this when the boy was a little bit older. It was a surprise that Harry had a good memory about that particular potions and all that came with it.

Later Harry would know that Wolfsbane was brewed to make werewolves retain their human’s mind while still in transformation. The boy was very proud of his smart father.

“When will Teddy stay with us, Daddy?”

“Five more days.”

“I’m sure Teddy’s not sad again,” Harry told his father. His small face looked relieved.

“Why is that?”

“Because you save his father and make him better,” he became cheerful again.

His father froze. He sat still. He was embarrassed remembering his old hatred to Lupin and the bitter history between them.

“You’re very kind, Daddy,” Harry sincerely said.

His father didn’t know what to say.