Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Problem of Trust

Harry clung to him like a little monkey, but Severus really didn't mind. How could he? Harry had been through so much, and was just now beginning to cope with it. Severus ran his fingers through Harry's mop of hair, and did his best to comfort Harry in anyway possible. Finally, after a long time, Severus moved Harry's grip a little bit.

"Are you alright?" Severus asked, looking into his green teary eyes.

"You understand!" Harry blurted again, and his arms wrapped around Severus' neck. He began to cry again.

"Yes, yes, I understand," Severus snorted softly, wrapping his arms around Harry in return. "Do you think you could stop long enough to eat something?" He laughed softly. Harry just nuzzled his neck a bit, and Severus thought he felt Harry shake his head somewhere in there. Severus sighed, still slightly amused. He would have died if anyone would have told him that he would be comforting a crying child - and enjoying it. Honestly, he did like it when Harry sought out his comfort. It made him feel needed - wanted.

"We need to get you on a regular meal schedule," Severus continued, even though Harry still sobbed on his shoulder. "You've been missing too many meals, even here. You're still a skeleton, and that's not very healthy." By the end of the sentence, Severus noticed that Harry's grip had loosened, and his breathing was regulated. Harry had fallen asleep on him. Again!

Severus couldn't help smirking at the image. An undersized eleven year old - a firstie - clinging him for deal life, sobbing his soul out on him, and him accepting this. It was a good thing no one was here to witness this. He didn't care who it was - even Minerva or Lucius - he didn't want anyone seeing how he treated Harry. It just wasn't something he wanted anyone misunderstanding. If anyone saw it, they might actually think he had a heart, or had feelings. It was going to be hard enough to maintain his cold dungeon bat mask as it was without over the top displays of affection.

Severus suddenly realized that he felt better having told someone about his own past - having shown someone his own scars. Perhaps Minerva was right. Perhaps this little boy was helping him cope as much as he was helping Harry. Harry was holding him accountable for his own thoughts.

.oO-Oo.

Harry woke up, his face still buried in Snape's clothes. He knew he'd fallen asleep on the man - again - and his first thought was absolute terror that Snape would be angry for all his tears and then falling asleep. But he felt the strong warm arms still around him, and his panic came down a few notches. Well, he was still scared, but he wasn't about to start blathering out of his terror.

"Awake, Harry?" Snape whispered, and Harry nodded. "Do you think you could eat now? It's the middle of the afternoon, and I still want you to eat supper too."

"Yes, sir," Harry said. Picking the child up, Snape carried Harry into the kitchen where he set Harry down in his chair at the table. Nitty popped a bowl of fruit on the table. What Harry didn't know was that Snape had asked Nitty for this for multiple reasons. First, Snape wanted to know which fruits Harry liked the best. Second, he wanted Harry to finally take some food for himself. And third, he wanted Harry to chose.

Harry, on the other hand, felt overwhelmed. There was so much fruit in the bowl, and none of it had been given to him! He didn't know what to do, so he looked up at Snape with a pleading look.

"You may take whatever you want from the bowl," Snape instructed. "Try the different fruits and see which ones you like the best." Harry nodded, and reached a wary hand out, watching Snape as he did so.

He had never taken any food for himself before! Well, that wasn't entirely true. He had stolen scraps before when he was very literally starving, but that was different. It had been thrown out, and he had been desperate. This was good food, not thrown out, and he wasn't even really hungry. But Snape just smiled at him a bit as he grabbed a strawberry.

"That's right," Snape whispered as he pulled it away from the bowl. "Now put the red part in your mouth. Don't eat the green part." Harry did as he was instructed. He tasted an explosion of water and flavor unlike he had ever tasted before. He sucked in his breath and closed his eyes as he savored it. Mmm, that was the best thing he'd ever had! He never wanted it to end. But eventually, out of reflex, he swallowed the berry, and opened his eyes, to see Snape's very amused face. Snape reached out and took his own blueberries, inviting Harry to take something more.

"I want you to take everything you can hold," he said. "Please, take anything you want." Harry continued to try the different fruits, sometimes needing prompting to take the fruit, but after the meal, unusual though it was, Harry was much more confident in taking and choosing his own food. Still not anywhere near normal, but progress was made. Little steps at a time.

"Was that Nitty's Exploding Snap game on the floor when I came back from my meeting?" Snape asked, when the food had disappeared.

"Yes, sir," Harry replied, contentedly full. He had liked all the fruits, of course, but he doubted anything would ever be as good as peaches and strawberries.

"Did Nitty show you how to play?"

"Yes, sir!"

"How about we play a game?"

.oO-Oo.

Severus was desperate to keep Harry occupied. The day had already had so much happen - a trip to get glasses and clothes, then his revelation, and an emotional breakdown, on top of training Harry to take and chose his food - but Severus didn't want to ignore Harry, not for one minute. Harry needed to know he was wanted, and right now, even a minute could break his heart. The child obviously wouldn't know how to amuse himself. Unlike Nitty, Severus was acutely aware that Harry didn't know how to play. Severus also realized that this was something that he might never be able to fully remedy. Harry would always need to see some very specific and definitely goal in his play. There would have to be an organization and a structure for him to feel secure. Harry, Severus realized, would never be able to play with toy dragons and castles, making up the rules as he went along. Not like he had seen Draco do so many times. Harry would need rules and a structure to the game to guide his play.

So he suggested a game. He vaguely remembered seeing Nitty's cards spread out on the floor, so he thought Harry might know how to play. It was a fairly simple game, more luck than skill, so he and Harry would be on an equal level playing. He borrowed Nitty's cards, with her profound approval, and he and Harry played for some time.

Severus found it surprisingly enjoyable. He was interacting with Harry without Harry either scaring the living daylights out of him with stories or crying his eyes out all over his clothes. It was a pleasant change.

"Are you happy here?" Severus asked abruptly, trying to trick a truthful answer out of Harry. Maybe it wasn't the best thing to do, but he needed to know for sure.

"Yes, sir!" Harry said quickly, and then he blushed. "I mean, it's very nice, sir, and, well - "

"The first answer is perfectly acceptable," Severus said, chuckling a bit.

Nitty popped in, next to his elbow, and Harry jumped in surprise. He didn't seem dismayed by the open displays of Nitty's magic, so Severus had let them go. Admittedly, Nitty's infernal popping in and out would surprise most people. She was particularly active.

"Supper's ready, Masters!" she announced. "Is you?"

"Of course, Nitty," Severus answered, clearing away the cards. "Here are your cards back, and I heartily thank you for loaning them to me."

"You's welcome, Master Severus!" she grinned, and caused the food to appear in front of them. Their plates were covered in mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, and well done carrots.

To his dismay, Severus saw that Harry didn't touch his food right away. So Severus picked up his fork, hoping that would encourage Harry to do the same, but it didn't.

"Harry, you can eat," he gently said.

"I'm not hungry," Harry said as he looked at the food. "I've eaten so much today..." His voice drifted off at the end.

"You've hardly picked at your food," Severus corrected. "It's not your fault that you've been starved for ten years, but the amount of food you've eaten today would make a fasting monk go hungry."

"But, sir," Harry said, begging him with his eyes, "I just can't."

"Alright, I won't make you," Severus agreed. "But I want you to drink a nutrient potion, and some liquids instead." Harry looked at him with relief. Summoning the desired items, he handed Harry the nutrient potion, which Harry drank. Then he handed him a mug. Knowing how Harry would undoubtedly feel if he made him eat, Severus wasn't going to push the issue too hard. But he would make sure that Harry stayed hydrated - and drink his nutrients too.

"Be careful, it's hot," Severus said. Harry took the mug very cautiously by the handle and looked at it.

"Is it - " he began.

"It's hot chocolate," Severus said. This way, he was still getting calories into the boy.

"But - but - " Harry began to protest. "But I'm not - "

"Don't even finish that thought, young man," Severus said with mock severity. "I thought we agreed you were worth everything I could give you?"

"Where is your hot chocolate?" Harry asked. "We agreed that what I was worth, you were too."

"Alright, fine," Severus sighed, almost smiling. He didn't usually indulge in sweets. Summoning another mug, he had his cup as well, and only then did Harry begin to drink.

"It's so sweet!" Harry gasped after his first sip. He smiled, and Severus smiled back.

.oO-Oo.

After supper was completely finished, Severus leaned back in his chair. This was going to be an extremely delicate situation, but he couldn't keep putting it off. And honestly, considering the extremely delicate situations he'd successfully dealt with in the past, maybe it wouldn't go as badly as he feared.

Harry needed a bath. The child was just living in dirt. Severus doubted Harry was ever allowed to use a bath or shower. But he was also aware of how rape victims usually felt. He had a pretty good hunch that Harry felt that way. His self-esteem could hardly go any lower, and Harry was dirty, in a purely physical way.

Severus didn't want to make Harry feel like he was dirty or inadequate in any other way. He certainly wasn't looking forward to this! But he couldn't let Harry go without a bath any longer than he already had. He had to make sure that Harry understood that there was nothing wrong with him, yet get the boy clean.

"Harry," he said, casually, "would you like to take a bath tonight?" Harry's eyes went wide and his mouth dropped in a look of horror. "I'm thinking that's a no..." Severus said after a moment.

"Please, sir," Harry whimpered, "please no." It sounded so much like how he begged his uncle not to beat or rape him and Severus sucked in his breath, and felt his heart begin to break. Severus never wanted to be the cause of such a whimper, even with his students when he intimidated them. Harry began to shake and it looked like he was about to cry.

"Calm down, Harry," Severus said quickly. "I promise I won't hurt you." Harry just nodded, but didn't look like he believed it. Severus got up and knelt down next to Harry's chair. "I promise," he said again, ignoring the small recoil Harry gave away. Harry didn't respond.

"You're afraid of something," Severus said, searching Harry's face with his eyes. "What are you afraid of?"

"Don't make me take a bath," Harry whispered, deathly quiet and pleading. "Please."

"You're afraid of the bath," Severus stated. "Why? Did something happen?" Harry looked at the floor and nodded, biting his lip. Severus sighed.

"Come here," he said, and Harry stood up. Severus sat down where Harry had just been, and pulled him up into his lap. "Care to tell me about it?" Harry just shook his head, and his breath was hitching.

"Will you show me?" Severus asked softly. And Harry nodded as he leaned his head on Severus' heart, being comforted by the rhythmic beating.

Severus watched as Harry showed him how his bath time had gone at the Dursleys.  Vernon had grabbed the boy and shoved him under much too hot water, holding him there as long as possible, and then cleaning him in the most brutal ways, scrubbing him till he bled.

"Harry," Severus whispered. "I promise I won't hold you under, and I promise the water won't burn you."

"Yes, sir," Harry said, a loose tear running down his cheek.

 "I just want to help you get some of the sweat and dust off you," Severus said, taking Harry by the chin and forcing him to look at him.  "Nothing more. I won't scrub you if it hurts. I'll just use a washcloth, nothing more. Will you trust me?" He let his hand release Harry's chin and run through his hair.

"Yes, sir," Harry said, still terrified.

"Here's a calming potion," Severus said, handing him the vial. "I can't have you living on this stuff much longer, but this one time won't hurt." Harry drank it, and his shaking went down.

"Ready for the bath?" Severus said softly in Harry's ear.

"Yes, sir," he whispered back.

.oO-Oo.

"Harry," Severus said as Harry came in the bathroom. "I won't leave you alone when you're bathing, because you're still going to be very accident prone." He didn't want to say that Harry was too weak to be left alone. The poor boy would be in pieces at his feet in moments if he said that. "I promise I will not touch you unless you either give me permission or I need to for your safety. Is that alright?"

"Yes, sir," Harry mumbled, and his face spoke otherwise. Undoubtedly, Harry was afraid that Severus wouldn't keep his word. But Severus had always done as he had said before, so Harry reminded himself that there was a possibility that he meant that as well. In a few moments, Harry was ready for the bath, but still seemed terrified, even with the potion coursing through his veins.

"You can touch the water before you get in," Severus said. "If it's too hot or too cool, let me know and I will change the temperature for you." Harry nodded and put his hand in the water.

"Is it alright?" Severus asked.

"Yes, sir!" Harry said with a bit more enthusiasm than his previous assertions. "It's very nice."

"Then get in when you're ready," Severus said. Slowly, Harry stepped into the bath, and sat down. He gasped a bit as his hips touched the water.

"Is it still alright?" Severus asked. He had to confirm that the temperature was still acceptable for Harry. He had to make sure that Harry understood that baths were not a thing to be feared.

"Yes, sir," Harry said. "It's just so...so...comfortable." Harry glanced up at Severus, almost seemingly worried that he would be denied it now that he admitted he sort of liked it. Severus knelt beside the tub.

"Here's a washcloth," Severus said. "I can wash you if you like, or you can do it yourself."

"I can do it, sir," Harry said quickly, almost panicky.

"Here you go," Severus said handing it to him. Harry turned the cloth over in his hands.

"After you get it wet and run it thoroughly over your skin, until your skin is pink, you can get out," Severus said. He knew Harry would not want to admit that he was positively clueless about how to take a proper bath, and so he contrived a way to tell him how without injuring what little pride Harry still had. And Harry was grateful for the subtle way Severus had told him. Harry suspected that Severus knew he didn't know what to do and had chosen a clever way of telling him. Much like the jacket.

Quickly, he put the cloth in the water, and began running it over his arms. It didn't take long and the water became dark with years of dirt being scrubbed off. After a few minutes, Severus judged that the water wouldn't take anymore dirt, and that Harry wasn't ready for a second bath yet.

"You're finished for now," Severus said. "You can get out, and put on your pajamas." Harry complied, and in a few minutes was dried and in his new pajamas.

.oO-Oo.

The bath had been heavenly. He felt so fresh...and clean! The dirt on his skin had come off in layers, and it felt so good to wash it off. And then he got into his new pajamas. Like the clothes Snape had shrunk for him, these fit him nicely. He felt secure in them. They wouldn't fall off, yet they didn't strangle him. They were soft and warm, very comfortable. He couldn't help rubbing his face against the fussy dark blue fabric which made the collar. He must have died at the Dursleys and gone to heaven. He knew that wasn't possible - there was no way he could ever get to heaven. But still, the thought was pleasant.

.oO-Oo.

"You like them?" Severus asked. Harry hadn't meant Severus to see that, but apparently he had. Severus was very much amused at the look on Harry's face as he ran the cloth over his cheek. At the same time, though, he had a pang of sorrow shoot through him. As much as he was glad that Harry was taking pleasure in such a simple thing, he was saddened at the same time. Running a fuzzy cloth over his cheek! It wasn't something to get excited about, but Harry was, because he had never had anything like it before.

"Yes, sir!" Harry replied. "Very much!"

"That's good," Severus said, and he smiled at Harry. "I'm glad you like them. And your glasses? You like them too?"

"Of course, sir! It's just - " Harry looked up at him with pleading eyes.

"It's just that even though you can't argue against what I showed you today, you're having a hard time believing it?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said. He opened his mouth to say something but closed it again.

"You were about to say something?" Severus said, leaning against the bathroom door frame.

"No, sir," Harry said. "I mean, yes, sir, but it wasn't important." He blushed.

"I like to hear things that aren't important, at least from you," Severus said. He had a feeling that whatever Harry had wanted to say, it actually was important. He hated being told unimportant things by his students, but Harry was more than a student. His students by and large had other people who would listen to their non-sense. Harry never had had anyone, and to top it all off, nothing that had come out of Harry's mouth had ever been unimportant. Wrong, perhaps, but not unimportant.

"I - It's nothing, sir," Harry said again, quieter, as he played with the hem of his shirt.

"But I would like to hear it, Harry," Severus insisted, with a piercing stare.

"It was just a question," Harry whispered, barely audible. "I'm sorry." He found something on the ground very interesting, because he hung his head and wouldn't look up at Severus.

"Harry," Severus said, kneeling beside him and pulling his chin up, "I approve of questions. You can ask anything you like. I promise. Nothing will happen to you when you ask a question. I take it you weren't allowed before?"

"No, sir," Harry whispered. "Except if it was about the chores or something I was told to do." Severus brought Harry into a hug, and let Harry's arm creep around his neck.

"So what was your question?" Severus asked again.

"How do you always know what I feel?" Harry asked.

"Even when you don't know how you feel?" Severus finished. It was an irony, that he was doing the very thing Harry was asking about as he was trying to answer.

"Exactly, sir," Harry confirmed, more confident now that Severus had not rebuffed his question. Severus broke the hug, and motioned Harry to follow him out of the bathroom.

"Because I have either felt in the past or feel now similar things," Severus said, his face slightly turned away from Harry as they went into the bedroom. "Or I can just guess how you're feeling. Remember, I understand." He looked deep into Harry's eyes, with a knowing look, and for once, Harry didn't burst into tears. He just smiled softly at Severus.

"Thank you, sir," Harry said.

"Alright, now, you need to go to bed, young man," Severus said. "I need to get some work done. I will be along eventually. Do you think you can handle being alone for a little while if you're sleeping?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said, sitting on the edge of the bed, after Severus had turned down the covers.

"Now I want you to promise me something," Severus said, as Harry swung his legs into bed and Severus covered him. "If you have any problems - including nightmares, of any kind, about anything - I want you to come get me. I'll be down those stairs you've seen. You remember them?" Harry nodded. "I'll be down there. There's a door at the bottom, and if you have any problems - nightmares, or you're hungry or thirsty, or anything else, I don't care, - I want you to promise to come get me, alright?"

"Yes, sir, I promise," Harry said.

"Good," Severus said, tucking Harry in. "Good night."

"Good night, sir," Harry whispered back.

.oO-Oo.

Severus was in the potions lab trying to get through as many potions as he could for Poppy. He may have been running ahead of schedule before he went to check on Harry, but since then his life had been turned upside down, and he still needed to get those potions made. So, he'd be running a bit short of sleep for awhile. So what? The only thing that was bothering him about this was he knew it would only get worse. He would have to keep brewing new potions for Poppy every so often for her cabinet, and he would have to teach seven years of potions besides. Which was more work than just showing up to class. It was preparing the lessons, paying absolute attention in every class for the inevitable imbecile who was just trying to blow them all to eternity, and grading the essays after.

His job was very tiring. And then added to that were those infernal Order and Death Eater meetings. Thankfully the Death Eater meetings he was required to attend dropped off during the school year. He couldn't readily be expected to take off two days of work just because he'd been put under the Cruciatus. But sometimes they would hold the meetings on a Friday night when he had the weekend to recover. Still not pleasant.

And now there was Harry too. He wasn't sure how thin he could spread himself. Not even a potions master could add another hour to the day. He smirked as he thought of all the Pepper Up Potion he was going to have to make for himself to survive this school year.

At least he enjoyed making these potions. It was relaxing, and he had a bit of time to think by himself. Not that he didn't like spending time with Harry - well, he didn't like having to deal with all his fears and insecurities, but he was more than willing to - but none of this changed that he still liked to be alone as well. He was still a loner. Always was, and always would be. Lily, and now Lily's son, were the only ones who had broken through that shield. So had Lucius, to a degree, as well. An odd collection of friends, he mused.

He thought back to earlier that day. He had shown Harry his scars. Certainly he had shocked the poor child. Sometimes, though, he knew, shocking abused children was the only way to get through to them. At some level, now, he was thankful for the physical records of his past. They had served a purpose. Suddenly his life had not been wasted. He smiled a bit. Harry was bringing him peace. It was still going to be a long, hard road, both for him and for Harry, but he could see it lead to a better place.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door, and Severus jumped slightly, pausing his potion. He went over to the door, and opened it, seeing Harry in quite a state. He was playing with his shirt hem avidly as he look up with large, scared eyes.

"Come in," Severus said, closing the door behind Harry. "What's the matter?"

"Nightmare," Harry muttered. "So I came. It wasn't a big deal though." Harry shrugged, and it looked like he wanted to leave before he made Severus angry. But Severus was not about to let Harry get away so easily. The nightmares Harry had were enough to scare a grown man, he knew, and he wasn't about to let Harry go through it alone. Not anymore.

"What was the nightmare?"

"Like last time," Harry said. "Only you were there, and you tried to stop Uncle Vernon."

"Oh," Severus said, reprimanding himself for his lack of eloquence. Well, how was he supposed to react to that! "And did anything happen after that?"

"No, I woke up," Harry said.

"I see," Severus said. "Do you want to stay down here with me?" So much for being alone. But, really, this was fine with him.

"Please, sir," Harry said.

"Alright," Severus said. "I'm going to take my wand and cast a spell which will turn that chair over there into a bed. It's something called transfiguration. That way you can sleep down here. Is that alright with you?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said, and he swallowed hard. Severus did as he said he would, careful to watch Harry's quickly paling face for any truly dangerous signs.

"Now, you can sleep down here. I'll bring you up with me when I'm finished. I want you to ask any questions you like," he said. Perhaps he could get Harry interested in magic by brewing in front of him.

"Yes, sir," Harry said. "Are you going to talk to someone about your nightmare this time?" Well, there was the first question. Admittedly, he had said Harry could ask anything, and Harry had taken him up on that apparently.

"I suppose you want me to?" Severus sighed.

"Well, sir, you've said it's supposed to help me, and you're worth everything I am," Harry observed.

"Alright, alright," Severus gave up. "I'll try to find myself my own psychotherapist if it makes you happy." Severus felt like huffing. There wasn't anyone on earth Severus would want to trust with that dream. Minerva had been fine to talk to about his father. She already knew about the situation. He didn't want anyone knowing what had happened to Harry in great detail, other than perhaps the Headmaster, if he could find something resembling a conscience in the man. Minerva would be horrified, and rightly so, at what Harry had been through, and wouldn't know how to handle it. There was a reason she wasn't a Slytherin. Who would he go to? Lucius was topping the list right now. He had been supportive of Harry, and maybe he would be the best one to help.

"What are you doing?" Harry then asked, apparently satisfied that the previous topic was closed.

"I'm brewing potions," he said. "Remember on the first night you were here, I told you I taught potions at this school? Well, I'm a potions master - that means I'm quite good at potions - and I make potions for the school infirmary. I'm making some ahead, so that Madame Pomfrey - the lady who came in after I came back from the Death Eater meeting - has them when students get hurt or sick."

"Oh," Harry said. "They smell funny."

"Yes, they do at that," Severus agreed, going back to his potion. "There's lots of strange things in them. And so they smell a bit different than you're used to probably."

"They smell like you," Harry commented.

"That's probably because I spend all day brewing them," Severus returned. Honestly, no one had every commented on what he smelled like before! Such a strange conversation to be having at eleven o'clock at night!

"Are they magic?"

"Sort of," Severus said. "The things that are put in them are magical. But I don't use spells to make them."

"It's like the fireplace?" Severus thought for a moment before he realized what Harry meant.

"That's called a floo," he said. "And yes, it's something like that. There's no spells. Just magic powder, or in this case, magic ingredients. Would you like to try making one sometime? I can show you tomorrow if you feel up to it." Harry didn't answer.

"Harry?" Severus said, turning, and he saw Harry's head resting on the pillow, his breathing even. Severus shook his head and began his brewing again.