Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Diagon Alley

Severus woke with a start, and realized he was slumped over the table in his potions lab. He remembered having sat down for a much needed short break, and apparently he fell asleep. Harry was still asleep on the transfigured bed. It was morning, and Severus still felt exhausted. It was just a proof of how much energy his life was taking right now. Laying his head back down, he decided to sleep until Harry woke up.

In what seemed a few minutes, he heard a rustling of movement and woke up. It had been more like an hour, he realized, but Harry had woken and was slipping out of the bed.

"Good morning, Harry," Severus greeted him, his voice slightly slurred. "I apparently fell asleep down here."

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"Would you like some strawberries on your cereal this morning?" Honestly, Severus was getting to like the evil stuff. A person could only eat it so often before he got to like it or die.

"Yes, sir!" Harry said, smiling nervously.

.oO-Oo.

Harry couldn't believe his good fortune, as he sat down and began to eat his cereal with strawberries. Never before had anything gone this well for him. He hated to think of the day when his lucky streak ended. Everything ended. But he hoped it wouldn't end any time soon.

Snape's promised "thing" that would change his mind about keeping the glasses really had been a shocking revelation. Harry hadn't thought that a man as strong as Snape would ever have been beaten. He felt really bad for Snape. How long had Snape been living thinking he wasn't worth anything? Hadn't anyone ever stopped to tell him that he was?

What if Harry was wrong though? What if he was terribly, terribly wrong? Snape was intelligent. If Snape didn't think he himself was worth anything, and if Snape was right, then that meant that he, Harry, wasn't worth anything either. Suddenly it all made sense. His whole world started to crash around him. Snape must have seen his look of dismay.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Snape suddenly asked. "Come over here." Harry got up and walked over to Snape, who put him on his lap. "Will you tell me what's wrong now?" Harry just shook his head. He didn't trust his voice right now. So Snape pressed his head to his heart, knowing that the regular rhythm would calm him, as it did.

"There, there, shh," Snape said, as he rocked slightly. "Tell me what's wrong when you're ready."

"What if - " Harry began, and then he choked back a sob.

"What if what?" Severus prompted.

"What if you're right about youself, and it ends with neither of us being worth anything?" Hearing his own words, he couldn't hold back the tears and began to cry softly into Snape's clothes, again.

"Harry," Snape said. "Please keep in mind that I'm trying to change my view of myself. Additionally, you think I'm worth something don't you?"

"Yes," Harry said, still sniffing. "But you're smarter than I am. What if you're right?"

"I wouldn't necessarily say I'm smarter," Snape said. "But I see your point. If I'm so smart, though, then you're worth something. Because I do know that you are."

.oO-Oo.

Blast that boy's intelligence. It was a shame that Hogwarts had discontinued their debate program after he graduated. And it was a good thing they had had it then. It honed his reasoning skills, and that was just what he needed right now. To out-logic Harry. Thankfully, Harry accepted his last argument.

"Sorry," Harry said, slipping off his lap.

"Don't be," Severus said. "Harry," he said changing his tone with a new topic. "School is coming up quickly, and you need school supplies. I was thinking we could go get them today."

"Yes, sir," Harry said, sitting back down in his chair.

"Would you like to?"

"Yes, sir?" Harry said, and it truly did sound like a question.

"I need you to be honest with me, Harry," Severus said. "I don't ever want you to lie or twist the truth. Alright?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said. "It's just that you don't need to send me to school, sir." Severus snorted, and rolled his eyes.

"Of course I do," Severus said. "I teach here. What do you think I'd do with you? Besides, the decision isn't mine. It's the Headmaster's. He's decided you go here, and in this, I heartily agree with him."

"Yes, sir," Harry said, still wary.

"I suppose I should explain how the school is set up," Severus said. "Hogwarts is divided into four houses. Every year, at the beginning of the year, there is a ceremony where the new students will be sorted by the Sorting Hat. The Hat will announce the house you will be in for the rest of your schooling. In a month, you will have the hat set on your head and it announce which house you will get."

"Which house will I get?" Harry asked, almost excited. He seemed to like the idea of sorting.

"That is for the hat to decide," Severus said. "The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin."

"Slytherin," Harry said. "That sounds like a snake. I hate snakes!" Well, that wasn't going to help the situation any.

"And why is that?" Severus asked.

"Because there was on in the garden and it bit me," Harry explain. "I couldn't get it to let go, and I thought it might never let go."

"I see," Severus said. "Well, you're right, the house symbol is a snake. Gryffindor has a lion, Hufflepuff is a badger, and Ravenclaw is an eagle."

"Are you a Gryffindor?" Harry asked, with a large grin on his face. "You're strong and brave like a lion." Alright, Severus began to laugh. He tried to restrain it initially, and it came out as something of a snort, but he couldn't keep from laughing. The thought of being mistaken for a Gryffindor! If that wasn't the joke of the century! Minerva would be horrified. And if James Potter was looking down on them right now, Severus was sure he was either torn between horror or laughing as well. Well, James would probably lean towards to horror side, because Harry was sitting across from him - Snivellus.

Harry didn't understand why Snape thought the question was so funny, but he couldn't help giggling a bit as well. If Snape thought it was that funny, he must have said something, and the laughter was contagious. Severus noticed Harry's giggles and felt a warm sense of happiness he hadn't felt since before he and Lily had drifted apart.

"You're right, Harry, bravery is the quality that gets you sorted into Gryffindor," Severus said, after he had regained himself. "Courage and bravery belong to Gryffindor. Loyalty and friendship belong to Hufflepuff. Intelligence and wit belong to Ravenclaw. And cunning and ambition belong to Slytherin."

"Can you get all four houses?" Harry asked.

"Why do you ask that?"

"Because you're all four houses," Harry stated. "You're brave, loyal, intelligent, and cunning."

"Well, since you seem insistent on sorting me yourself," Severus said, still amused, "I'm a Slytherin. In fact, I'm the head of the Slytherin house."

"If you could guess, which house do you think I'll get?" Severus noticed that Harry was hesitant in this question.

"Hmm," he thought aloud. "Your parents were both Gryffindors. But that doesn't mean that you'll necessarily be a Gryffindor. Which house do you think you'll be?"

"I - I don't know," Harry said. "I hope I can get one." His voice had dropped to a whisper. Then suddenly his eyes widened in terror. "What if the Hat says I have to go back to the Dursleys and says I can't get a house? What if it says it can't sort me?"

"It won't say that, Harry," Severus assured. "I'm sure you're not the first student who has feared that."

"Did you?" he whispered, looking up at him through lowered eyelashes.

"Yes, exactly that. I was afraid that the Hat would send me back to my father. But instead it gave me Slytherin without so much as a second thought. Before the Hat could say anything to me, I started begging for any house that it wanted to give me. I told the hat that I didn't want to go back home. So the Hat said that I could calm down, and it announced Slytherin." Harry nodded.

"I suppose I should also tell you something else about the houses," Severus continued. "There are also certain faults that go along with the houses, and no matter which you get, I want you to watch out for these faults. Gryffindors are arrogant and can be bullies. Hufflepuffs wear their hearts on their sleeves, and are prone to having their feelings hurt. Ravenclaws tend to either lose themselves in their books or are overly proud of their academic success. And Slytherins seek power. I can't speak for other houses, but Slytherins have their reasons for acting the way they - we - do, which doesn't make it any the more acceptable, necessarily, but if you are a Slytherin, I want you be especially careful of that."

"Yes, sir," Harry said. He couldn't see himself trying for power, but he would trust Snape on this.

"Additionally, Slytherin if often seen as a bad house," Severus continued. "And I am seen as a rather unpleasant person. It's probably because I am. Anyway, no matter which house you get, I would like it if you could remember that Slytherin is not an evil house, no matter what people may say about it. Also, Gryffindor and Slytherin have a special rivalry, shall we say. Should you get either of those, you will be involved in it. You'll learn more about it as you continue."

"Why are they rivals?" Harry asked.

"That's anyone's guess," Severus said. "Some people say it's because Slytherin is the evil house and Gryffindor is the good house."

"And what do you think?" Blast, that boy was perceptive.

"Because Slytherins and Gryffindors both envy each other for their qualities. We're more alike than we wish to admit, and we wouldn't want to let anyone know that we in fact envy the other. Both houses wear a mask over their own personalities. It's simply a different mask." Harry nodded. "Are you ready to get your things then?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

.oO-Oo.

They stepped out of a fireplace in Diagon Alley. Harry was dressed in some of his new clothes from the previous day, and Severus had changed into his wizarding robes again. He had a list of the things that Harry needed.

"Let's get your books first," Severus suggested. So they entered the appropriate store, and Severus began finding the titles that Harry would require. After laying out a stack of books, Harry compared it to the list.

"We're missing one book," Harry observed, slightly confused.

"Yes, because I'm going to give you my old potions book," Severus said. "I use the same books to teach that I learned from. My book will have lots of helpful notes for you. I didn't keep any of my other texts."

"Thank you, sir!" Harry gasped.

"Now let's get these and move on to the apothecary to get your potions ingredients."

After checking out, picking out all the necessary ingredients and materials for potions and the other classes too, like quills and parchment, Severus looked at the list of items.

"There are two things left," he observed. "Your wand and your animal."

"My...animal?" Harry asked.

"Yes. You can have an animal. It has to be a cat, a toad, or an owl. We should probably get your wand first though. That way we don't bring your pet into the other shop." The look on Harry's face was priceless. He hadn't been expecting to get an animal, that was sure. "Didn't you read the list?" Severus asked. "I showed it to you, and it says you may have an animal."

"I looked at it, sir," Harry said, gazing at the dirt road. Severus set the books down and crouched in front of Harry, catching his gaze. He was being an idiot again. A right up imbecile.

"Harry, I'm sorry," he said. "I wasn't thinking. It's not your fault you can't read." Harry nodded at him and bit his lips as his eyes swam in tears. "Please don't cry," Severus said. He didn't want to have to deal with this in public. "It's not your fault, and I can fix it easily enough. I can teach you to read before the start of the school year. Is that alright with you?" Harry just continued to nod.

"Oh, come here," Severus sighed, making the decision to comfort him, even if it was in public. He'd kill anyone who dared comment later. Harry collapsed into his arms momentarily, sobbed for a couple minutes before collecting himself. Considering he didn't have any calming potion in his system, Severus realized that Harry was doing remarkably well.

"Good morning, Severus."

Severus jumped up, and whirled at the sound of the unexpected voice. He unconsciously had put himself between Harry and the perceived possible threat.

"Good morning, Lucius," Severus replied with a relieved sigh, as he brought Harry to his side. "Forgive my reaction." Lucius and Draco were apparently also out getting Draco's things for the upcoming school year as well.

"Of course," Lucius said, clearly amused.

"Not - one - word," Severus growled.

"I didn't say a thing," Lucius said, his smirk growing rapidly, with a ill-feigned innocence. "And this is young Harry?"

"Yes," Severus said. "Harry, this is a friend of mine. His name is Mr. Malfoy. And this here is his son, Draco. You and Draco will be in the same year in school."

"Hello, Mr. Malfoy," Harry said very politely. "Hello, Draco."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Harry," Lucius continued, extending his hand. Harry took a step back, quickly, and Lucius noted that the step was closer to Severus.

"Shake Mr. Malfoy's hand," Severus whispered, but Lucius caught the words. Harry cautiously reached out and Lucius gave it one firm shake before releasing it. He really hadn't meant to startle Harry. Both Severus and Lucius noticed that Harry's gaze lingered on Draco.

"Hi," Draco finally said, also a bit nervous. Harry's nerves hadn't been lost on Draco, and Draco didn't know what to do. He raised his hand in a quick greeting. Severus also knew that as the son of a good Death Eater, Draco knew who Harry was. So he was likely very nervous at being in the presence of the child who brought down the Dark Lord. Severus could imagine that Draco was surprised by how unsure and nervous Harry was. After all, Harry Potter was a powerful wizard. What would have to be scared of? Draco was surprised to find a child where he had expected a monster.

"Hi," Harry returned, glancing at the ground.

"Got your wand yet?" Draco asked.

"No," Harry said. "You?"

"Me neither, no," Draco said. "You excited about school?"

"Yeah, I guess," Harry shrugged. "Are you getting an animal?"

"Of course!" Draco said, suddenly becoming animated. "I want to get a black cat. What do you want?"

"Oh," Harry said. It honestly hadn't occurred to him to think about that. "I don't know."

"What house do you think you'll get?"

"Um," Harry stalled. "I'm not sure about that either. I guess maybe Gryffindor?" He looked hopefully at Draco.

"Meh," Draco spat. "That's nothing to get excited about. I'm going to be Slytherin."

"Draco," Severus cut in. "Let the Hat decide where you'll be sorted." Severus had to admit, he was a little disappointed that Harry had suggested Gryffindor. He wasn't sure what to make of it.

"Yes, Uncle Severus," Draco said respectfully. Harry's eyes wandered to Severus for a moment, but then snapped back to Draco.

"I might get Slytherin," Harry said. "I don't know."

"Severus," Lucius said, "since apparently neither of them have their wands yet, shall we get them together?"

"I suppose," Severus said, still trying to assess Harry's reactions. They began to make their way to Ollivander's, and Severus could feel Harry's discomfort rolling off him. Every so often, Harry would glance up at him, and Severus could see the hidden question in his eyes. Harry wanted to be alone. He put his hand on Harry's shoulder, and lightly squeezed it, trying to reassure him. Severus knew Harry needed to get used to people. There would be plenty of them at the sorting feast.

Draco was chattering on about this and that, apparently trying to make up for Harry's lack of comment. Harry was listening politely, nodding, or agreeing when it seemed appropriate.

When they made to the wand shop, Ollivander came over.

"We would like to get wands," Lucius said.

"Hello, Mr. Ollivander," Draco said, offering his hand. "I'm Draco Malfoy."

"Hello, Mr. Malfoy," Ollivander replied, taking his hand. Harry looked up hesitantly at Severus. Severus nodded in approval.

"Hello, Mr. Ollivander," Harry said quietly, putting his hand out as well. "I'm Harry Potter."

"Harry Potter!" Ollivander returned, grabbing his hand a bit too quickly, and Harry yelped quietly. "Such a pleasure to meet you! You have your father's hair and your mother's eyes!" Releasing his hand, Harry stepped back to Severus' side quickly. Severus put his hand on Harry's shoulder, drawing him close. Draco watched the whole scene with some interest.

In the beginning, Draco had felt a pang of jealousy when Ollivander got more excited over Harry than over him. But seeing Harry's reaction, he wasn't sure what to think. Harry was certainly different.

"Draco," Lucius said. "Go with Mr. Ollivander to get your wand."

"Yes, Dad," Draco said.

"Mr. Potter?" Ollivander said. "Would you like to come as well?"

"Come on, Harry," Draco said with a wave of his hand.

"You don't have to if you don't want to," Severus whispered. Harry nodded though, and cautiously stepped over to Draco.

"Alright, let's try out some wands!" Ollivander said as he began pulling some boxes down from the walls.

.oO-Oo.

"Those Muggles really did their job thoroughly," Lucius commented quietly as soon as Draco and Harry were out of earshot. They each took seats next to each other.

"Yes, I know," Severus sighed, running his hand over his face. "Trust me, you don't even know the half of it."

"I'm sure I don't," Lucius agreed. "But you're a very capable man. You can sort it out."

"If anyone can," Severus snorted. "I need to talk to you more privately at some point." Lucius glanced at Severus and noticed he drummed his fingers on his crossed arms as he glared at the ceiling.

"What's happened?" Lucius said, not really trying to keep the smirk from his voice.

"Oh, just Harry," Severus huffed. "He's not letting me help him until I take my own advice."

"So you want to talk about something," Lucius concluded.

"No," Severus said. "He's making me talk about something, and there's a limited number of people I can talk to."

"You would do well to not sound like a whining child, Severus," Lucius admonished, still smirking at the situation.

"I'm not - " Severus began, and then sighed. "Yes, I suppose I am. Forgive me, Lucius. I haven't been myself lately."

"Severus, let me tell you a few things," Lucius began. "As a father, children will change you. Molly Weasley will tell you the same thing. Children change you. And Harry is no exception. In fact, I would assess that the two of you have worked great changes on each other already, even though this is the first time I've ever seen Harry. You'll never be the same man you were before Harry."

"Yes, he's come a long ways, believe it or not."

"Oh, I do. I can only imagine the wreck the poor boy was when you found him."

"Trust me, you don't want to," Severus drawled.

"You'll be a good influence on each other," Lucius predicted. "It seems you already have been."

"Could you please have a talk with Draco about Harry?" Severus suddenly asked. "I would like Draco and Harry to be friends, but I can't have Draco insensitive to Harry. That would do more damage than good. One thing that may be significant for you is that Harry was punished very severely for any showing of accidental magic. Draco would not understand such a thing without an explanation. Harry's reactions around magic are still based on his past experience. Another is that Harry had a lot of physical scars from the abuse, and he's self-conscious about them. If Draco doesn't make any comment on his choice of clothes in light of the weather, that would be greatly appreciated. I hope you understand?"

"I can try my best," Lucius agreed. "I don't know the full extent of his abuse, but I can make some generalizations from what you said earlier and what I see now. Draco will be much more at ease next time, I assure you. Although, he will get Slytherin."

"I understand that," Severus said. "I have no doubt he will get Slytherin. Harry doesn't understand the history of the houses. In fact, I just explained about them this morning. He knows his parents were from Gryffindor. I've already addressed the good house/bad house conflict and the rivalry. I think Harry may have simply been trying to play it safe with picking the good house. I trust you noticed how fast he agreed to Slytherin once Draco made his position clear?"

"Of course, Severus," Lucius said. "I'm not a Slytherin for nothing. Do you know what house he really wants?"

"No," Severus admitted. "I told him to not worry about it. The Hat would decide for him. He had enough to deal with besides house sorting. He will be accepted no matter house he is in." Of course, Lucius understand the unspoken implication in Severus' words. Harry would be accepted as a Death Eater no matter what house he was from.

"Is he nervous like you were?" Lucius asked. Severus and Lucius had met early on, and until Lily got Gryffindor, they had been set up for their own Golden Trio. Severus had asked Lucius about the possibilities of not getting any house, and no matter how much Lucius had tried to tell him that it wasn't possible, Severus hadn't really believed it.

"Yes," Severus said slightly sadly. "And I doubt he'll really believe the answer I gave him - the answer you gave me - until the Hat actually sorts him."

"You hope he gets Slytherin, don't you?"

"Of course," Severus said. "It will be much easier all the way around if he does. But I refuse to influence him in any way. His sorting his between him and the Hat."

"What house do you see him in?"

"Every one," Severus said, looking at Lucius for the first time in the whole conversation. "He's as cunning as a Slytherin, smart as a Ravenclaw, loyal as a Hufflepuff, and as brave as a Gryffindor. Much the same as he diagnosed me. Do you realize he mistook me for a Gryffindor?" Lucius laughed a bit.

"Do explain these assessments you've made," Lucius encouraged.

"He uses my own words against me," Severus said.

"Slytherin."

"He remembers everything I tell him."

"Ravenclaw."

"He cares very deeply."

"Hufflepuff."

"And he was willing to go back to his abuse to protect me from any difficulties I might encounter."

"Totally Gryffindor," Lucius said, rolling his eyes. "Do you think we should see how the boys are fairing?"

"Yes," Severus agreed. Together they found Ollivander still giving Draco different wands. He was trying each out, and Ollivander kept tweaking the wands. Finally, a few minutes after the two men began to watch, Draco got his wand. 10 inches, Hawthorn wood and with a unicorn hair core.

"A very good wand," Lucius said in approval as Draco showed it to him.

"Now, Mr. Potter, your wand," Ollivander said. "Try this one." Lucius and Draco watched with interest as Harry hesitantly reached out and took the wand. He looked at Severus with a scared expression.

"Just shake the wand a bit," Severus murmured, with an encouraging nod of his head. Harry nodded back and shook his wand. A light shot from it, like he had seen come out of Draco's, but it still startled him. Jumping back a bit, Ollivander clicked his tongue.

"Not right," he said, handing Harry a different wand. After several attempts, Ollivander got a wand from the back. "Let's try this one," he said, handing the wand to Harry. With the same shake, Harry's light was satisfactory.

"Curious, very curious," Ollivander said.

"What is?" Severus asked.

"The wand," Ollivander said. "11 inches long, made of holly and had a phoenix feather core. It is the original's brother feather." Lucius and Severus exchanged glances. The significance of the description was not lost on either of them, as Ollivander knew it wouldn't.

"Is it - " Harry began, looking at Severus. "Is it a good wand?"

"Yes, the very best," Severus said with a soft smile. They paid for their wands, and then the four of them proceeded to pick out their animals. Of course, Draco already had thought long and hard about his animal. As he had stated, he wanted a black cat.

"I suppose this is where our paths part for the time being," Severus said with a polite incline of his head. "Harry and I will be looking over all the animals. Good-bye, Lucius."

"Good-bye, Severus," Lucius said. "Feel free to floo over any time you like."

"Bye, Uncle Severus," Draco said. Once again, Harry shot Severus a confused glanced. "Bye, Harry, see you at the sorting feast!"

"Bye, Draco," Harry said shyly.

"Now, let's find you a pet," Severus said, steering Harry towards the toads first. Harry looked over all them, but none seemed to take his interest.

"Before you make a decision," Severus continued, "I want you to look at the cats and owls first." So they proceeded to look at the cats. Lucius and Draco had already left.

"Should I get a cat like Draco?" Harry asked, perplexed.

"Only if you want to," Severus said. "It won't be bad if you don't. Let's look at the owls before you settle on a cat, alright?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said, and they walked over to the owls. Harry's eyes immediately fell on a beautiful snowy owl. He gasped a bit when he saw the bird.

"Do you like her?" Severus asked, bringing her down to Harry.

"Yes," Harry breathed, as he reached out and stroked her feathers.

"Then she's yours," Severus said. This was definitely the animal for Harry. He hadn't reacted like this to any other animal, and the owl was seemingly taken by Harry as well.

"Really?" Harry gasped.

"Yes," Severus said, smiling slightly at Harry. "What would you like to call her?"

"I - I don't know a lot of names," Harry admitted.

"How about Hedwig?" Severus suggested.

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Well," Severus said, suddenly hesitant. He didn't really want to explain why he had chosen that name. "She's the patroness of orphans," he finally said, hoping Harry wouldn't be too upset. "It seemed a fitting name. She'll look out for you." Severus wasn't sure if he meant the patroness or the owl.

"But you're looking out for me, aren't you?" Harry asked quietly, still running his fingers over the owl's feathers.

"Of course," Severus said. "But no such thing as too much help, is there?" Harry smiled a bit.

"Can we get Hedwig then?" he asked.

"Yes, of course, my little primate," Severus said, bringing Harry into a quick hug. No one was in the store to see anyway.

.oO-Oo.

"Well, let's put these things away, shall we?" Snape said, taking the supplies and putting them in a spare trunk once they had stepped back through the fireplace. "This will be your trunk. Is that acceptable?"

"Yes, sir!" Harry said, holding Hedwig's cage close to himself. He loved the bird, and he never wanted to be parted from her. He hoped, oh he really hoped, that Hedwig would not meet the same fate his mouse had. He didn't think she would, because he thought Snape would help see to her food. But he was ready to give her his food too if he needed.

"You can open Hedwig's cage, if you like," Snape said. "I know the shop, and she'll already be trained not to mess the house. She can fly around." Quickly, Harry set the cage on the floor and knelt down to open the door. Hedwig hopped out of the golden doorway onto Harry's arm and then climbed up to his shoulder.

"What does she eat?" Harry asked.

"She'll go hunting," Snape said. "Just let her out at night, and she'll come back in the morning."

"Alright," Harry agreed. He wasn't stupid. He knew that meant that Hedwig would be eating mice. It caused him to grimace a bit, that his bird would be eating mice, but he didn't mind it that much.

Hedwig was so beautiful! He brushed his cheek against her soft feathers and she playfully nipped at his nose. Then his face darkened a bit as he thought over his outing.

"There's something on your mind, isn't there?" Snape asked. "Please, ask me about whatever it is."

"Why did Draco call you...call you..."

"Ah," Snape said. "Why did he call me uncle? Let me assure you Harry, I - do - not - hurt - Draco. Ever. I have never hurt Draco, and I never will hurt him. I am his godfather. That means I help look after him a bit. I'm sorry if the term makes you uncomfortable. Do you believe me?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"He won't be calling me that very much at school anyway," Snape said. "He'll call me Professor like everyone else unless we're alone." Harry nodded. "Now, I think we should have lunch. After that, how would you feel about having our first reading lesson?"

"Yes, sir, I would like that very much," Harry replied, letting his fingers wander through Hedwig's feathers. Snape was going to teach him to read. He'd always wanted to know how. And now he was going to learn. He smiled to himself.

.oO-Oo.

Hedwig hadn't budged from her perch on Harry's shoulder all through lunch, the reading lesson, or supper and Severus wasn't about to complain about it. He was very glad that Harry had found an animal for himself. He had been nervous that Harry wouldn't want a pet after his mouse, or even if he did, he would be too scared. Having gone through the toads and the cats, he was almost certain that would be the case. But having seen his look when he saw Hedwig, that had decided it. If Severus hadn't already believed in love at first sight, he would have been an instant convert.

Harry had managed a little supper that night, and after that, Severus suggested another bath. This time, there wasn't nearly as much resistance to the concept.

"Hedwig will have to come off your shoulder," Severus finally said, almost smirking.

"I know," Harry said. "But she can come to the bathroom?"

"Of course," Severus said. He certainly wasn't going to separate Harry from his bird any time soon. If Hedwig was amiable, she could stand watch over the bed when she wasn't hunting. He had a window in his rooms which was something of a portkey but not quite to the outside. If Hedwig flew into the window, she would come out on the outside of the castle and then flying into that window on the way back, she would re-enter his rooms. The window was special and Hedwig would have no trouble finding it on the way back.

.oO-Oo.

After the bath, Harry pulled on his pajamas, and let Hedwig take her perch on his shoulder again.

"Harry," Severus said, "I'll be going back down to my lab tonight. Would you like to come with me and fall asleep down there? Hopefully tonight I'll actually bring you back up before morning."

"Yes, sir," Harry said. "It smells nice down there." Severus reached out and messed up Harry's wet hair a bit, smiling.

"Come along," he said, leading Harry down the stairs.