Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The First Day of School

Harry woke with a start, and the first thing he realized was that Snape wasn't beside him. He felt a bit foolish, wanting Snape to sleep with him, but he did want that. So Harry sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. There was a note on the pillow that Snape used, and Harry picked it up. Now that he could read, he would have no problem, he hoped, with reading it.

Dear Harry,

You were still sleeping when I had to go to class. I will be back in the afternoon. In the meantime, study the first lesson in your Charms and Transfiguration books. Do not try to practice anything. I will go over it when I get back. Nitty will feed you and help keep you occupied.

Professor Snape

Harry jumped out of bed and began to get dressed for the day. He noticed that his school uniform had been folded and put on a chair. Laying on top of the robes was a green and silver scarf, with a snake on it. Carefully, Harry turned the scarf over in his hands. He felt wonderful about it, even if he did hate snakes. He was part of something bigger than himself now. He belonged somewhere. Draco and Snape both wanted him to be around them, apparently.

Well, that brought up an interesting point. Harry always thought of the man as Snape. Now that they were starting the school year, though, Harry supposed that that wasn't the most respectful way to think of him. Perhaps, Professor? He had mentioned that that was what Draco would call him. It was decided then. Harry would address and think of Snape now as Professor.

Harry tied his scarf on, even if he wasn't dressing in the uniform. The scarf made him feel wanted. Hedwig came flying in from the doorway, and perched herself on his shoulder. She seemed to have a preference for his right shoulder. He had been teaching her all sorts of various tricks. Professor Snape had provided him with little treats for training purposes. Hedwig had been catching on quickly to everything he taught her. They had bonded very deeply over the past month, proving to Severus that the incident with the mouse, while not forgotten, was not inhibiting Harry's bonding abilities with another animal. Unknown to Harry, Severus was hoping that his bonding abilities with people would be just as good.

Harry wandered into the kitchen, and Nitty popped in.

"Hello, Master Harry," Nitty greeted him. "You's slept late. Feeling well?"

"Yes, I am," Harry grinned sheepishly. He looked down at the floor nervously. He didn't want to ask for breakfast. He'd never asked for any food while he was staying with the Professor, and he wasn't about to start now. But he did want to know if he was going to get any, so he didn't dart off to start his school right away either.

"Well?" Nitty prodded. "You's gonna sit down to eat or not?"

"Yes, thank you," Harry said, taking his seat hastily. Nitty caused some eggs and toast to pop into existence in front of him. Quietly, Harry began to eat as Nitty sat across from him.

"Did you's get Master Severus' note?"

"Yeah," Harry replied after he swallowed a mouthful of toast. "Wonderful meal."

"Thanks, Master Harry," Nitty said brightly.

After he had finished, Harry took out his Charms and Transfiguration texts as the Professor had instructed. He began to read them, but it was very hard reading. Harry found himself spending minutes on just the first sentences of Charms, trying to sound out the words, and then wondering what the words meant.

All too soon, Nitty informed him it was time for lunch, and Harry hadn't even finished his Charms text yet. He ate a little bit of the pasta Nitty had fixed, but he didn't feel like eating. He knew if he refused to eat at all, on top of making his Professor angry, Nitty would be hurt. So he forced some down, more for her sake than for his own health though.

Sadly, he returned to his Charms book, and began where he had left off. He was beginning to get very nervous. If he had taken all morning and not even finished his Charms, how would he finish Transfiguration before Professor Snape got back? He was sure he would be angry if he didn't finish what he was asked to do. Well, Harry would just have to try his hardest to finish everything before Professor Snape got back.

Was there such a thing as being kicked out of a house? Would Professor Snape make him leave Slytherin if he didn't manage to keep up on his work? Harry loosened his scarf just thinking about it. He had just gotten a sense of belonging, and now he was botching it. He felt a tightness in his chest as he thought about it. But he plodded on with his Charms, still hoping, even if it was a fool's hope, to finish before Professor Snape got back.

But his stomach wasn't cooperating, and he felt sick. The fear clawed so deeply at him that he had to focus on not loosing his lunch, or what little food had passed for his lunch. Being sick didn't help his comprehension with the textbooks, which only caused his fear to mount the more.

.oO-Oo.

Severus burst into his class of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff first years. He made sure he did this for all the first years every year. Billowing his cape out behind him, making him look larger and more intimidating than he usually did, which, even he had to admit he usually was, he marched up the middle isle and gave his yearly speech about the power of potions and the importance of paying attention. Thankfully, Ravenclaws were usually adept at potions, and Hufflepuffs were tolerable, even if outrageously annoying.

He had them start on their potions, and within ten minutes, he had spelled Neville's potion away before it exploded in his face.

"Mr. Longbottom," he drawled, "I trust that next time you will read the instructions, and put the ingredients in in the right order."

"Yes, Professor," Neville responded.

By the end of the class, most of the students had a sample of their potions for him. Neville wasn't the only one to get his spelled away. Severus picked up a particularly good bottle and turned it over in his hand.

"Miss Granger," he said. "Ten points to Ravenclaw for your potion."

"Thank you, sir," Hermione said, blushing a little.

"You are dismissed," Severus said to the whole class. "Mr. Longbottom, Miss Granger, please stay after to speak with me."

Neville visibly paled, and he and Hermione exchanged a glace. Hermione shrugged at Neville, and didn't appear too worried. Cautiously, Neville crept towards Severus' desk, making sure Hermione was one step closer to the perceived threat than he was.

"Yes, Professor Snape?" Hermione asked after a moment of silence.

"I have something of a problem," Severus began, sighing and looking at both of them. "And I was hoping you could help me. Mr. Potter is not currently able to attend classes, and he is staying in my chambers for the moment. I was hoping that you would be willing, once a week, individually, to come and visit him."

"Why can't Harry attend classes, sir?" Hermione asked.

"That, Miss Granger, is a complicated story, and not one I will go into now. Suffice to say that he isn't. Would you be willing to come on Monday evening, next week?"

"Yes, sir," Hermione said, definitely curious.

"And you, Mr. Longbottom, would you be willing to come on Tuesday evening?" Neville's eyes got wide and he began to stammer. "If you're concerned about your atrocious attempt at what you call potions, I will promise not to chop you into my ingredients," Severus said, running his hand over his face, trying to suppress a smirk. "I am not choosing you based on your performance in my class, but rather your reputations and how well I feel you can represent your houses to Mr. Potter. Will you come down to my chambers?"

"Y-yes, sir," Neville sputtered. "I'm sorry about my potion, sir." Neville looked at the ground, and he appeared to be on the verge of being sick.

"Relax, Mr. Longbottom," Severus said. Alright, he hadn't been overly kind to the Longbottom boy, but honestly, this sort of reaction was a bit over the top. "Simply read your instructions through before you begin your potion and you should be fine. Now, both of you be off before you're late for your next class."

"Yes, sir," both said together, grabbed their bags and left the classroom.

.oO-Oo.

Severus' next class was with the first year Gryffindors and Slytherins. Why ever Dumbledore had scheduled the Gryffindors and the Slytherins together he would never know. Perhaps between the Gryffindors and the Hufflepuffs, both his periods would be unbearable?

"Mr. Malfoy, Mr. Weasley, please stay after class," he announced as he dismissed the rest of them. Both boys came up to the desk, Draco with curiosity and confidence, Ron with just false bravado. Ron had no idea why he was being asked to stay after class. His mother had given him stern instructions to not goof off in Professor Snape's class and he was trying to follow that. He hadn't been corrected the whole duration of the class!

"I have a certain problem, and I was hoping that the two of you would be able to help me," Severus began again with them. "Mr. Potter cannot attend classes currently, and is in my chambers. I was wondering if the two of you would be willing to visit him once a week? Mr. Malfoy, will you come on this Wednesday?"

"Yes, sir!" Draco said brightly. He suspected that staying after class had something to do with Harry and he was thrilled to be able to see Harry again, and his godfather. He wasn't sure why he liked Harry so much, but maybe it had something to do with Harry's quiet and gentle nature.

"Mr. Weasley, can you come Thursday, barring any detentions you may incur if you decide to follow your twin bothers' example?" Secretly, Severus was always amused at the pranks the Weasley twins pulled. They were always clever, very well thought out, and, regrettably, funny. The twins were also usually responsible at not risking anyone's safety in their pranks.

"No, sir, I mean, yes, sir," Ron said. "I can visit him, sir, and I won't pull pranks, sir," he clarified.

"Did your mother have a talk with you, Mr. Weasley?" Severus asked. Usually he wouldn't expect such cooperation from a Weasley. If Molly had spoken with the boy, it would probably wear off in a week, and he would have a normal Weasley on his hands again. After all, it didn't seem that Ron had made any real friends yet, so that would account for some of it. He didn't have any bad influences.

"Yes, sir!" Ron said.

"I see," Severus responded. "Well, if she asks, you can tell your mother that I thought your potion and behavior were quite tolerable today." Molly would understand that from him to a Gryffindor, especially a Weasley, "quite tolerable" meant that he had nothing to complain about. Well-mannered Gryffindors were certainly not nearly the problem that the rude ones were. "You may go."

Draco and Ron grabbed their bags, and left the room, speaking quietly.

.oO-Oo.

He entered his chambers. Monday classes, check! Breathing a sigh of relief at having survived the first day, Severus went into the sitting room where he found Harry on the couch with a book in his lap. Harry looked up at him quickly, and began to tremble.

"What's wrong?" Severus asked. If Nitty had messed up again, he really was going to have to do something with that house elf! He began going through a list of things he could do, checking off the ones that were insensitive or wrong.

"I'm sorry!" Harry blurted out, his eyes swimming in tears, as Severus rounded the couch and sat beside Harry. Harry had his arms wrapped around his aching middle.

"What do you have there?" he asked, picking up Harry's book. "Transfiguration. I see. You've been working all day on Charms and Transfiguration but you haven't finished. And you think I'm going to be upset."

"I'm sorry," Harry repeated. "I tried, but...but..."

"I never intended you work all day on it Harry," Severus said. "I really should have known you weren't up to reading all that. Don't worry. I'm not upset at all."

"Then...I can stay in Slytherin?" Harry asked cautiously, hopefully.

"Of course," Severus said, bringing Harry into a quick embrace. "You can't leave your house. You're stuck there for good. And you're stuck with me for your head of house." As if for good measure, Severus tightened the Slytherin scarf on Harry's neck. "I'll help you with your lessons. No need to worry."

"Thank you, Professor," Harry said, trying out the new name. Severus blinked a moment, but accepted the title wordlessly.

"In two days, Draco should be down here to visit you," Severus continued. "And after that, there's a few others who would like to visit. Is that acceptable?"

"They don't have to," Harry said quickly, shaking his head. "They have other friends. It's fine."

"Ah, but they want to. Will that be alright?"

"Only if they really want to," Harry sighed. They sat in silence for a moment. "Why would anyone want to visit me?"

"Because," Severus said, "you really are worth visiting, even if you don't believe it yet. Draco and the others can see it, even though the others don't even know you yet."

Then the great silver snake entered the room. Severus sighed, and put his arm around Harry.

"Mr. Malfoy?" Harry whispered.

"Yes," Severus growled. "What is it?" he said addressing the patronus.

"We have another meeting tonight," the snake began in Lucius' voice. "I'm sorry to put you out in the middle of the week, but I would fear more for your safety if you didn't attend. Please come as soon as you can." The snake disappeared in a puff of smoke.

"Well, Harry," Severus said, "it looks like I have to go for awhile. Like last time, I don't know what will happen, but I will do my best to come back to you in one piece, alright? Good. Now, just forget about your Transfiguration for awhile, and play with Nitty. She'll feed you supper. Don't worry about me too much. I'll be fine."

"What happens if you're not?"

.oO-Oo.

Harry watched the snake with growing apprehension. In addition to it being a snake, the message it was delivering was scaring him. He didn't want Professor Snape to have to go to another one of those meetings, because, in all honesty, Harry wasn't convinced that he would come back alive.

If Professor Snape was killed at one of these meetings, in addition to having gotten him killed, what would happen to him, Harry? He knew that if Professor Snape died, he was responsible and therefore would deserve everything that would happen to him. But he still couldn't face going back to the Dursleys. Having experienced something so much better, so much more wonderful, how could he go back? Just the thought felt like it was suffocating him, killing him.

"What do you mean?" Professor Snape asked.

"I'll have to go back to the Dursley's, won't I?" Harry whispered.

"No," the Professor said definitively. "I have arranged that if anything were to happen to me, Mr. Malfoy will see to it that you are kept safe. He gave me his word, which is to him a very binding thing, to keep you from anyone who would want to hurt you. You will never go back to the Dursleys."

"Thank you, sir," Harry said.

"I need to go now. Be good while I'm gone."

"I will," Harry whispered.

"I know you will," the Professor assured him, and gave him a small smile which warmed him deeply.

.oO-Oo.

Severus stepped through the fireplace into Lucius' sitting room, and he had his trademark scowl on his face. He felt more apprehensive about this meeting than usual, though not as much as last time. He did wonder who would take over his classes the next day if he wasn't recovered enough to teach. Dumbledore wouldn't, since apparently they were on nowhere near friendly terms anymore. Likely, no matter how awful he felt, no matter what agony he was in, he would have to teach the next day. Not a pleasant thought, which helped him with his mask.

"Hello, Lucius," he greeted the blonde man coldly. He knew Lucius knew not to take any offense by his manners at a meeting.

"Hello, Severus," Lucius responded. "Please take a seat." Severus looked around and noticed that all the others were present. He locked gazes with Nott, and the two sneered at each other for a moment. "Nott called this meeting, and so I believe he should be the one to take its direction now."

"Thank you, Malfoy," Nott said, playing with his wand, but careful, Severus noticed, to have it ready and pointed at him in a moments notice. So he drew his own wands quietly to be ready to deflect any spells that should be shot his way. He had too much to fight for. He couldn't let Harry down.

"I have called this meeting," Nott began, "because I think we should see to it that Snape is raising Harry according to standard. I call for a motion that Harry Potter attend the Death Eater meetings!"

"You must be joking!" Lucius exclaimed.

"Potter will not attend anything!" Severus hissed.

"I call for a vote," Nott said. "A two thirds majority to make anything come to pass. And I don't care that you do have Malfoy on your side. The reason we're Death Eaters is to be equals. That's the whole purpose. Political influence doesn't matter here. Any who feel that Potter should attend the meetings in order to ensure his education, cast your magical signature into the blue vase."

Wands were drawn, spells cast, and in a moment, little balls of light, representing the signatures, floated in the vase. Those who had cast: Nott, Crabbe, Goyle, McNair, and Avery.

"All against, in the red vase." Nott smirked at Severus, who scowled at the red vase as he and Lucius cast their own. "Five to two, and I believe that Potter must attend."

"You wouldn't have Theodore attend these meetings," Severus said, his teeth clenched, and refusing to meet Nott's gaze. "Crabbe, Goyle, would you have your sons attend? Who here has a child that they would bring to these meetings?" By the end, Severus was shouting, and had gotten to his feet.

"Severus makes a point," Lucius said. "If we are all as equal as you say we are, Nott, then all of our children must attend the meetings, loath as I am to say it."

"Humph," Nott grunted. "Alright, fair enough. We can all bring our children to their own junior Death Eater meetings. We can all check up on each others' children. Bring Potter now, though. We have already discussed it," Nott glanced at the others who had voted with him, "and we want to see him now." Severus rolled his eyes at Nott and made a face. "How tastefully childish," Nott mocked.

"And what if I refuse to bring him?" Severus asked darkly.

"Be careful," Lucius whispered, but only loud enough for Severus to hear.

"Then we will lay in wait for the moment Potter leaves Hogwarts. And when he does, because he can't live the rest of his life there, we will kill him on sight. No questions asked. And I won't need to mention the fate that will await you." Nott smirked gleefully. He knew that Severus wouldn't risk his life. Harry had come to mean too much for him, and he would not risk his life unnecessarily, for Harry's sake.

"I will be back momentarily," Severus grunted grudgingly. Glaring at Nott, he flooed back to his chambers, where Harry lay curled up on the couch, sleeping, undoubtedly awaiting his return.

"Nitty!" Severus called softly. She appeared in front of him.

"What's happened, Master Severus?" she asked. Obviously she could see that nothing had happened to him at this point, and he always had something wrong with him when he came back. Of course she would know something was different.

"I need to take Harry," he said. "I will be back as soon as possible. Please have a warm bath ready for him when we get back." He wouldn't allow any of them to hurt Harry in the slightest, but the warm bath would sooth his nerves and tight muscles.

"Yes, Master Severus," Nitty returned. Severus knelt next to Harry, and shook his shoulder softly.

"Harry," he whispered. "Harry."

"Hmm?" Harry muttered. "Oh! You're back! And...you look fine." Harry's voice almost made the last statement a question.

"I'm fine right now," Severus whispered. "But something has come up, and I have to bring you to the meeting. The alternative is worse. Please trust me. I won't let anyone hurt you. I promise." Harry nodded cautiously.

"They hate me though," he muttered.

"Yes, most of them do, apparently," Severus agreed. "But Mr. Malfoy and I will see to it that you aren't hurt. The others want to see to it that I am raising you to be a Death Eater like I promised them."

"You...you told them I would be a Death Eater?" Harry asked, paling rapidly.

"Yes," Severus sighed. "It was the only way to placate them last time. I'm sorry. You don't have to be. We'll talk about this later. But just tell them that I am. I'll help with the answers if I can, but keep to the story that I am teaching you, but progress hasn't started yet because we've been taking care of other things, like clothes, and reading. I promise no one there will think the less of you for your background. You don't need to be ashamed of anything."

"What if I'm not a good enough liar?"

"I'll deal with that if it comes up," Severus said. "Just follow my lead and you'll be fine. Come." They flew back to Lucius' sitting room, Harry's hand still in Severus' from the trip.

"I was beginning to wonder if you had left the country," Nott drawled at him. Severus just arched an eyebrow in response.

"Please do not mistake my compliance in this as my approval," Severus growled. "This is Mr. Harry Potter. Harry, you already know Mr. Malfoy. This is Mr. Nott, Mr. Crabbe, Mr. Goyle, Mr. Avery, and Mr. McNair." The others nodded.

"Hello, Harry," Lucius said. "How have you been?"

"Fine, sir," Harry said, smiling a little at him for his kind tone in the stressful situation.

"How did the sorting go?" Lucius continued. He and Severus exchanged a glance, which told Severus that he was trying to lead the questions the others would undoubtedly want to ask in the kindest and gentlest way he could. Severus was secretly appreciative for Lucius' tact.

"Fine, sir," Harry said again. "I got Slytherin and so did Draco."

"That's very good," Lucius said. He shot an angry glace at the others in the room. "How has your education been coming?"

"I - " Harry began. "I learned to read this month," he whispered softly, still scared about admitting that little fact. "And I started my Charms and Transfiguration books today."

"Learning to read is very important," Lucius said, trying to repeat enough that the others wouldn't demand Harry repeat it. "Do you like reading?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"Have you cast any spells yet?"

"No, sir!" Harry gasped, suddenly looking horrified and glancing around the room nervously.

"That's fine, Harry," Lucius said. "Have you been told about the Dark Lord?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said, sticking his chin out a little defiantly. But not too much. Severus stiffened, knowing that these were probably the most touchy questions now, and he could sense that Harry knew this too. Brilliant boy.

"I readily admit," Severus began, stepping in front of Harry a bit, and addressing the other Death Eaters, "that his education is sorely lacking on this topic. But as you already heard, I have been teaching him to read, among a plethora of other things."

"What's your pain tolerance, boy?" Nott asked. Harry winced at being called boy, and kept his eyes closed. "You need to have a high one to be a Death Eater."

"Please don't hurt me," Harry whimpered. "I'm sorry I killed the Dark Lord. I didn't mean to."

"It's not your fault, Harry," Lucius said. "But I don't suppose you know how you did it?"

"No, sir," Harry said. "I'm sorry." He began to silently plead with Lucius about the question on pain tolerance.

"Take your shirt off, Potter," Nott said, standing up and walking over to Harry who took a half step closer to Severus.

"Nott!" Severus hissed. "What is the meaning of this? Harry has answered all of your questions!"

"I want to see that he was as abused as you say," Nott said. "Or rather, that he got what he deserved at the hands of his relatives." Harry's eyes were still closed, and he flinched at Nott's words, drawing closer to Severus, who put a protecting arm around him.

"I promised him he would not be hurt coming here, and I intend to keep that promise," Severus growled.

"Oh, don't come between the mama bear and her cub," Nott mocked. Severus sneered at him.

"If it's worth anything to you, Nott," Lucius interjected, "I saw Harry in Diagon Alley, and my assessment is that everything Severus has said is true."

"Of course you would support him," Nott muttered. "Take off your shirt."

"Don't, Harry," Severus said. "Nott, I won't have this. This is going too far."

"Then I'm afraid we'll just have to try another means of persuasion on you, until you see that you'll have to allow it."

"I don't care," Severus hissed. He just didn't know what to do with the situation. Nott was setting this up to hurt Harry the most he could, and if he allowed it, it was terrible. But if he was tortured in front of Harry, that was also unthinkable.

"Potter would have to see it," Nott pointed out. And Severus hissed incoherent words at him, at Nott's perception.

"I can take it off," Harry whispered. "It's not that big a deal."

.oO-Oo.

Harry wasn't stupid. He knew that this man called Nott was threatening to torture his Professor, and his Professor was willing to fight for him. But he wasn't going to have any of this stupid bravery stuff on his hands. It killed him inside to show anyone his scars, even his Professor, yes, but it would hurt worse to have Professor Snape injured on his behalf.

"I can take it off," he whispered. "It's not that big a deal." Before Professor Snape could object, Harry had stripped off his shirt, revealing the long silver scars running across his still too thin torso. He glanced up at Nott with guarded eyes. Nott reached out and grabbed him by his upper arm. Harry let out a small yelp as Nott drew him closer. He remembered all too vividly being grabbed like that by Uncle Vernon.

"Let him go," Professor Snape hissed menacingly as he grabbed Nott's wrist. Harry could see each of the Professor's tendons as he held Nott.

"Let go of me, half-blood," Nott sneered.

"Not until you let Harry go." The Professor muttered something, and Nott immediately released him with a howl of pain. Nott whipped his hand in the air and blew on it.

"Crucio!" Nott yelled, aiming his wand at the Professor. Deftly, Professor Snape stepped aside, and the light that came from the wand hit the fireplace, causing a stone to crack. Professor Snape returned with his own spell after that, which Nott blocked with a shield.

"Please," Mr. Malfoy said. "I don't want to have my house destroyed with you two dueling." Harry noticed the quick glance Mr. Malfoy gave him, and it looked genuinely concerned.

"Turn," Nott told him coldly. Without question, Harry did as he was told, and showed Nott his back. "They did their job well," Nott observed, smirking.

"You can put your shirt back on, Harry," Professor Snape instructed, squeezing his shoulder reassuringly. "I'm sorry you've had to listen to this prattling idiot."

With his shirt back on, Harry noticed Professor Snape's eyes boring into each of the men, except Mr. Malfoy.

"Well? Are you satisfied now?" he pressed. "Have you seen enough?"

"Till next time," Nott agreed. "I call the meeting adjured." In turn, each of the Death Eaters thanked Mr. Malfoy for the use of his house, and disappeared. Finally, just Nott, Professor Snape, Mr. Malfoy, and Harry were left.

"Thank you, Malfoy," Nott said, with a mocking bow. He turned to leave, but at the last second spun around and cried, "Crucio!" again. Only this time it was aimed at Harry, and Professor Snape had put his wand away. Without thinking, Professor Snape pushed Harry to the ground, but caught the spell himself. Harry saw his Professor's face twist in a grimace of pain, and his hand went to his wand which he drew. Wordlessly, a burst of light came from his wand and disarmed Nott, releasing Professor Snape from the spell.

"That, Harry," Professor Snape said, with a smirk, but still twisted in a bit of pain, as Nott picked up his wand and disapparated, "was the Expelliarmus spell. It disarms your opponent. You would do well to learn that one."

.oO-Oo.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience of the whole thing," Lucius broke in.

"That's perfectly alright, Lucius," Severus replied, trying to hide a wince as he moved to the fireplace. At least he hadn't totally lost his mask in front of Harry. It was bad enough that Harry had been threatened, and he had been cursed. "It was not your doing. Come along, Harry, you have some Transfiguration left." Harry trotted to stand beside Severus, looking up expectantly at his face. Severus put his hand on Harry's shoulder, and the two flooed back to Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry about all that," Severus said as soon as Harry had regained his footing. "I never had any intention of bringing you to one of those meetings, much less having Nott try to curse you. Let me see your hands." Harry had taken the brunt of his fall on his palms, and after careful inspection, Severus found no marks left from his fall.

"Nitty has a warm bath for you," Severus said. "You should take it, and relax some. Then come back down here and we can talk." Harry had begun to take his baths on his own. As he gained weight and balance, Severus became less concerned about accidents occurring. Harry complied, and Severus sank down onto the couch. He closed his eyes, and began to drift asleep.

"You want me to be a Death Eater?" he heard Harry's voice suddenly ask, and Severus noticed that Harry eyed him with a sidelong gaze.

"That's a delicate subject, Harry," Severus said, sighing a bit as he woke up. He motioned that Harry should sit by him. "Remember when I told you that I couldn't tell you which side I'm really on? Well, if I were to tell you, when we're alone here, whether I want you to be a Death Eater or not, that would give away which side I'm really on, wouldn't it? If I tell you that I want you to be a Death Eater, then that would mean I truly work for the Dark Lord. And if I tell you I don't want you to be a Death Eater, then that would mean I truly work for Dumbledore. Therefore, I cannot tell you what I would really like to see you do. In the meantime, apparently Nott has arranged for meetings to be held for all of the children of the Death Eaters, and you will have to attend those. I have assured the Death Eaters that you will be one, and I have assured Dumbledore that you won't be. Do you understand?"

"Does - does that mean - that I'm your child?" Harry asked quietly. Severus looked shocked for a moment, then slowly reached out and held Harry's hand in his own. He began to rub circles of the back of the hand with his thumb. He truly did love the child like his child. But Harry wasn't by anyone's definition his child. He wasn't Harry's biological father. He hadn't adopted Harry. He wasn't even Harry's legal guardian.

"I love you like the son I never had," Severus responded just as quietly. He brought Harry close, and whispered so quietly that Harry couldn't make out the words, "You should have been mine."

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Growling slightly, Severus got up, leaving Harry on the couch and rolled his eyes at the interruption. He stalked out of the room and opened the door.

"Minerva," he said. "Can I help you with something?"

"I was wondering how Harry is doing," she said. "I haven't seen him since the sorting feast. He was looking much better than when you brought him here, but that wouldn't take much care at all."

"Harry is doing fine, Minerva," he said. "It will be a long road, but we are making definite progress."

"Perhaps I could see him?"

"Perhaps nothing," Severus drawled. "He's not ready to be visited by an adult he doesn't know yet. Soon. But not tonight."

"My animangus form, maybe?" Minerva suggested hopefully. "What little boy wouldn't like a visit from a kitty?" She blinked innocently at Severus who rolled his eyes again.

"Alright, fine, in 'kitty' form only," he grunted. Really, these Gryffindor women. But he had to admit, it was a good idea. Harry wouldn't be scared by the cat. It would satisfy Minerva, and Harry would not be put out. So as he walked back to Harry, a ginger cat followed him. Severus sat down and gestured to the cat.

"A cat has come to visit you," Severus said. "Professor McGonnagall brought her down. The cat would like to get to know you a little bit. Is that alright?" Harry's mouth was slightly open, and he slipped off the couch wordlessly. He reached his hand out to the cat, palm up, and she rubbed her whiskers against his finger tips. Harry ran his fingers through that cat's fur, and the cat hopped into Harry's lap, curling up and purring.

"She - she likes me?" Harry asked, shocked, as he looked at Severus.

"I would imagine, since it isn't in the nature of cats to purr at those they don't like," he drawled lightly, amused at Minerva's and Harry's actions. Severus closed his eyes, trying to rest a bit from the meeting.

"I believe this cat has to start trotting off to her chambers," Severus said after some time had past, and Harry was still stroking Minerva's fur. Severus could imagine the heart attack the poor boy would have if he knew he was really petting a woman old enough to be his grandmother in animal form. Since Severus knew that the animangus would still carry certain human traits, he noticed that the cat shot him an annoyed glance at the sentence. Reluctantly, the cat jumped off Harry's lap and followed Severus to the door. Only after Severus had it open and the cat was out of his chambers did Minerva resume her natural form.

"I trust you enjoyed the petting?" Severus sneered good-naturedly.

"Of course," Minerva smirked. "He's a very wonderful boy, Severus. Take good care of him. I know you will."

"I will try my best," Severus promised. "It's not an easy job, raising a boy, an abused one, and then being a spy besides. I just ask that no matter what rumors you may hear, know that I have Harry's best interests at heart."

"Yes," Minerva said, now slightly worried. "What are you planning?"

"Nothing, right now," Severus said. "It's what gets planned around me that worries me. I can't speak to you of that, though," he continued, knowing that he couldn't explain the inner workings of the Death Eaters to Minerva.

"Alright," Minerva said, skeptically. "I will be here to help you in any way I can. You know that. Don't be afraid to take me up on the offer."

"I won't," Severus said. "I will contact you if I feel I need any help."

"Good," Minerva said. "See that you do. Good night."

"Good night," Severus replied, softly closing his door. He went back to where Harry was, and found him still sitting on the floor, looking at his hands curiously.

"Is there anything wrong?" Severus asked.

"No," Harry said slowly. "The cat let me pet her."

"You should probably go find Hedwig before she gets jealous," Severus smirked, sitting back down on the couch. "Show me those tricks you've been telling me you've taught her."