Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Requescat in Pace

Severus didn't move, letting Harry sleep. With his arm still draped around Harry's shoulders, the scene looked very peaceful. A fire crackled in the fireplace, and everything was silent except for that and their soft breathing.

Harry suddenly stiffened and whimpered. Severus recognized it for what it was - a nightmare. Shifting Harry so that he could place both his hands on Harry's shoulders, he shook Harry gently.

"Wake up," he called softly. "Harry, wake up." Suddenly Harry's eyes snapped open, a look of pure horror on his face. Then the boy sighed and relaxed a bit.

"Sorry," he mumbled, as Severus released him, and Harry sank back into the couch.

"It's alright," Severus assured him. They were quiet for a moment. "What was it about?"

"Nott," Harry muttered, looking away. Harry's ears had turned red, and Severus could imagine the self-recrimination going through Harry's mind. Severus nodded, no words coming to mind quickly for him to say. "It's alright," Harry continued. "I brought that one on myself."

"That's not true," Severus contradicted.

"Yeah, it is," Harry argued, narrowing his eyes. "I consented this time."

"Did you?" Severus asked. "I was under the distinct impression that you were sitting in the corner, crying, when I found you."

"Yes, but I still agreed," Harry pointed out. "I showed up, and I didn't fight. Oh, God," he whispered, pulling his feet up on the couch and covering his face with his hands, as he began to rock slightly.

"Because you were under duress," Severus continued. Harry didn't react, except to gasp and wrap his arms around his torso.

"What does that matter?" Harry hiccuped. "I didn't fight, and I didn't try to stop him."

"It's not your responsibility to stop him," Severus murmured, putting his arm around Harry again.

"Don't touch me!" Harry shrieked suddenly, scrambling away from Severus till he sat on the far end of the couch.

"Alright," Severus agreed calmly.

"Malfoy was right," Harry whispered, almost to himself.

"And what was he right about?" Severus pressed. Harry didn't answer right away, and Severus didn't repeat his question or push Harry, but he continued to wait for his answer.

"I'm a truly disgusting person," Harry finally muttered, trying to stand up.

"Stay right there," Severus ordered. Harry hesitated a moment, then sat back down, closer to Severus this time. "Care to elaborate on that last comment?"

"No, sir," Harry replied, staring off into the fire. Severus doubted that Harry actually saw the flames. He wondered what Harry was really seeing.

"You are most certainly not a disgusting person, and there was exceedingly little that Draco was right about," Severus said. "What happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it," Harry sighed, shaking his head.

"Harry," Severus murmured, turning towards Harry on the couch and pulling the boy close, almost into his lap, and wrapped both arms around him. "You need to talk about it. It's like pulling poison from a wound. It's not pleasant, but it's necessary unless you want it to be harder later."

"Why?" Harry suddenly scoffed. "It's not like it was even rape." Severus lifted an eyebrow, surprised that Harry was able to use the word.

"And what is the definition of rape?"

"Being forced…" Harry's voice trailed off.

"Did you seek Draco and Theodore out?"

"No, sir."

"Was it your idea?"

"No!"

"At any point, did you ask him to stop?"

"Yes, sir."

"What about this doesn't sound like force to you?"

"It - it's not that simple," Harry swallowed.

"Oh?" Severus challenged. "And why not?" Harry looked away, still curled up close to Severus.

"It's so embarrassing," Harry whispered.

"It's alright," Severus comforted him. "I think we know any number of embarrassing things about each other. You can tell me. I won't tell anyone."

"I know, I know," Harry repeated. "I just don't want to say it."

"Because then you make it real, I understand," Severus whispered, resting his chin on Harry's head. Harry nodded quickly.

"Nott - " Harry began. "He - he made me beg." Severus didn't say anything, waiting for Harry to continue, but instead, Harry threw his arms around Severus and sobbed into his robes. "It hurt so much. I didn't want to. I tried not to. It hurt so much though, and I begged him for my release. I wanted it. I wanted it." Severus sighed, and looked up to whatever powers in heaven may or may not have been looking down at them. He was already holding Harry, but he pulled the boy firmly to himself, firmly enough to hopefully make Harry feel safe. Harry gripped his robes and cried freely.

"I'm sorry," Severus whispered.

"Malfoy was right," Harry said through his tears. "I'm nothing but a whore."

"Now you're as wrong as Draco is," Severus replied, rocking Harry a bit. "Don't think that. Theodore was using your body against you. It has nothing to do with you." Harry sat there for some minutes, crying, until finally his grip on Severus' robes relaxed.

"I'm sorry," he said again.

"It's alright," Severus repeated. He had a feeling it would assuring Harry it was alright for quite some time. "Don't let yourself think that you were anything more than unwilling, and you did not want it."

"How do you know?" Harry hiccuped.

"You admitted that you didn't want to, that you tried not to, remember?" Harry nodded a bit, and Severus saw a dead look in Harry's eyes when their eyes met. "Oh, Harry," Severus sighed, pulling Harry into another firm embrace, "I never, ever want you to suffer on my account." They sat there for some time, neither one talking, Harry basking in the security of being held, and Severus, unsure that he had said everything he should, or said things he shouldn't, resorted to the oldest form of communication - the physical touch.

After over an hour, Severus finally stirred.

"The life of a teacher calls," Severus said, though he hadn't released Harry. "There's papers due back to those dunderheads tomorrow, and they're not graded."

"Oh," Harry replied, quickly sitting up. "Sorry."

"It's fine," Severus said, smiling sadly, shaking his head a bit. "You can stay here tonight, if you prefer." Severus got up and went to sit at his desk.

"Thank you, sir," Harry replied.

"I'll let your Head of House know, so she doesn't become worried. The time grows late, and we haven't eaten. Supper in the Great Hall happened awhile ago. I believe you are friends with a house elf? The one from the Malfoy estate?" Severus took out a quill and began to read over a stack of papers in front of him.

"Dobby?" Harry asked. "Yes, he's the one who enchanted that bludger in my second year."

"Ah, yes," Severus remembered. "The time it broke your arm and that fool, Lockhart, disintegrated all the bones in your arm instead."

"Well, my bone wasn't broken after that," Harry pointed out. "It's difficult to have a broken bone if you don't have a bone." Severus snorted without looking up from his work.

"Point, that," Severus replied. "Please call Dobby, then, to get us some food from the kitchens."

"Dobby!" Harry called, and the house elf popped into appearance in front of him.

"What can Dobby do for Master Harry Potter, sir?" Dobby asked excitedly.

"Professor Snape and I missed supper," Harry began, nervously glancing at Severus. "Can you - would you - bring some of the leftovers, please?"

"Of course, Master Harry Potter, sir!" Dobby squealed. "Anything for the great Harry Potter!" Severus tried to repress a snort, but failed miserably. Harry slapped his forehead with the palm of his hand in exasperation as Dobby disappeared.

"When did he start calling you that?" Severus almost laughed.

"What? 'The great Harry Potter, sir'?"

"Yes," Severus confirmed.

"I believe he used that title the first time I saw him. Why?"

"I wonder who brought home stories about 'the great Harry Potter,'" Severus mused.

"Malfoy?" Harry suddenly realized. "You think Malfoy was talking about me? Saying something positive about me?"

"I would say Draco is the likely suspect."

"Sir?" Harry asked.

"Yes?"

"You refer to Malfoy and Nott by their given names," Harry began nervously. "Why is that?"

"I know their fathers," Severus replied. He hadn't met Harry's gaze, but it was clear he'd stopped reading over the essay. "It helps to not confuse them with their fathers."

"Oh," Harry said. "Which is why you always called me Potter."

"Regrettably," Severus sighed. Harry dropped the issue, for which Severus was glad. Dobby reappeared with the requested food, which he set on Severus' desk. Harry pulled a chair close, and began to pick at the food as he watched Severus. They were quiet, but Severus felt better for keeping an eye on Harry anyway. It meant the boy wasn't getting himself in more trouble at the moment.

Suddenly, there was a loud knocking at his door. Severus sighed, and stood up. He went to the door and opened it. Minerva stepped through, pale and twisting her hands.

"Severus," she breathed, "do you know where Harry is?"

"I was about to let you know he would be spending the night here," Severus said, tilting his head a bit. "He's right here." Severus motioned to where Harry now stood next to his desk in the adjacent room.

"Oh, good, he's safe," Minerva sighed. "What do you know about Sirius being in the castle?" Her voice was grave.

"I'm somewhat bound by secrecy," Severus hesitated. "I knew he was here."

"Do you realize what he's done?" Minerva screamed hysterically. She rushed into Severus' quarters and closed the door behind her.

"What has Black done?" he asked uncertainly.

"He killed a student," Minerva hissed. "And left another brutally mauled."

"Oh?" Severus asked, outwardly undisturbed.

"Theodore Nott is dead," Minerva continued. "Draco Malfoy is currently being treated by Poppy. He should live, but he'll have scars." Severus simply raised an eyebrow at the news. "You're taking this extremely calming," Minerva said coldly. "I'm beginning to suspect you knew about this?"

"I knew nothing of what Black was going to do," Severus replied coolly. "I knew he was in the castle. That was it."

"You're not upset. He killed one of your students. Theodore Nott is dead. Why aren't you tirading, ranting about how you knew Black would do this?"

"Minerva," Severus said calmly. "I'm sorry if my reaction is disappointing to you. I can't comment on the situation without violating a secrecy. I believe Black would not have done anything I wouldn't have done, given the right opportunity." Severus was taking it too calmly. Perhaps he would have a fit after she left?

"The Aurors are on their way," Minerva continued.

"What is the Headmaster's reaction to this?"

"He's grieved, naturally," Minerva said snidely. "He's not going to stand in the Ministry's way after this. Azkaban must have unhinged Sirius more than we thought."

"It's possible," Severus dismissed.

"I don't understand you, Snape," she snapped at him. He raised his eyebrow at the form of address.

"I never expected you to understand," he said quietly. "Please, just trust me."

"You ask a lot," Minerva replied.

"Have I ever steered your wrong before, when I've asked you to trust me?"

"No," Minerva admitted.

"And Black? What will happen to him?"

"He'll be Kissed," Minerva said.

"Albus wants you to keep guard over Sirius until they arrive." Severus paused for a minute, and looked towards the other room nervously.

"Happily," Severus suddenly nodded, an idea occurring to him. It was just a glimmer of a thought, something Severus wasn't even sure would work, but it was worth a try.

"Then Albus will want you to meet him in the dungeons immediately."

"We're in the dungeons already," Severus sighed. "You mean the holding cells in Hogwarts? I'll be there shortly."

"Alright, Severus," Minerva said. "I hope you know what you're doing." Minerva turned and left, closing the door behind her with a soft click.

"I hope I do too," Severus whispered, knowing it was too late for her to hear him. He returned to where Harry was still sitting, picking at his food.

"What was that about?" Harry asked.

"That was Professor McGonagall," Severus began, unsure of how to break the news to Harry. "Your godfather - " he restrained himself from derogatory comments, " - was caught. He's being held while the Ministry comes to take him. He's killed Theodore, and Draco has been seriously wounded. He'll be Kissed."

"Sirius!" Harry gasped. "He's going to die. And it's all my fault." Harry covered his face with his hands.

"Stop that immediately," Severus said urgently, summoning a vial of potion. "It is not your fault. Black did what he did independent of you. You did not make him do it. Here." Severus handed him the potion. "Loath as I am to do this, I don't see any alternative. Take the dreamless sleep before you fall asleep. You may use my bed. I doubt I'll be needing it tonight. Now eat. I'll be leaving a few minutes, and it's late. You should go to sleep as soon as possible." Severus wolfed down a bit of food himself, and watched as Harry made an attempt to do the same. It was a pitiful attempt, but Severus wasn't about to fight with the boy at this time.

"I can't eat anymore," Harry finally complained.

"That will be enough then," Severus said, vanishing the food and plates with a flick of his wand. "Get ready for bed. I'll be in in a minute." Harry left, and like he had promised, in a minute Severus looked into the bedroom. Harry was lying in bed, the potion sitting on the nightstand. Severus entered and took the potion, rolling it over in his hand.

"Take it, Harry," he whispered, handing it to the boy.

"The addiction?" Harry asked.

"Just this once," Severus replied, glad Harry was taking his well-being seriously. "I won't give it to you again for some time."

"Alright," Harry agreed, accepting the potion and drinking it. He leaned back into the pillow, the covers askew. Severus leaned over and straightened them over Harry's thin frame.

"I will do everything in my power to help Black, for your sake. I give you my word."

"Thank you," Harry whispered, as his eyes began to droop with medication induced sleep.

"I'll see you in the morning," Severus said. "Try not to worry too much. I'll be back soon." Severus hesitated a moment, then quickly laid a chaste kiss on Harry's forehead before turning, grabbing his cloak and wand, and leaving his chambers.

It a few minutes, Severus arrived at the holding cell were Sirius was.

"Hello, Albus," he greeted the Headmaster.

"Severus," Albus returned. "I trust Minerva has told you, then?"

"Yes, Headmaster," Severus affirmed.

"My condolences on the loss of your student," Albus continued. "Sirius hasn't explained anything about it."

"Thank you," Severus replied. "I'm sure he'll speak to me readily enough."

"Will you be safe together?" Albus asked.

"He's disarmed, I presume?"

"Of course."

"Then I am more than capable, Albus."

"Thank you, Severus. I never suspected a tragedy like this would happen."

"This isn't the first tragedy you never suspected," Severus muttered. He thought, for a moment, that Albus had heard him, but if he had, then he didn't say anything, because the older wizard turned and left.

"Why didn't you run, Black?" Severus asked, as soon as Albus had gone.

"One of the teachers heard the commotion," Sirius explained.

"Alright. I can't let you out, or make it seem plausible that you overpowered me somehow."

"I know," Sirius said. "I never expected you to."

"If I could, I would, for Harry's sake."

"I understand."

"Good. I have an idea, though. It may not work. I haven't heard of anyone trying it under these circumstances. I will assist you if you want to try."

The two fell into a long evening of plotting. After the night wore away, and the sun welcomed a new day, the door opened, and Aurors walked down the steps. Dumbeldore was with them.

"Thank you, Severus," Albus said. "The Aurors will take Sirius into custody now. I've taken the liberty of canceling your classes today. You should go rest."

"When will the execution take place?" Severus asked casually.

"Today, at sundown."

"So around five o'clock then," Severus concluded.

"Yes," Albus confirmed sadly. Severus nodded to Albus, the Aurors, and Black in turn, then left in his usual blustery way.


Slowly, they walked down the dark hallway. A man in black strode confidently with his robe billowing behind him. Right next to him was a boy, one who had seen more in the past few months than most grown men. Snape and Harry walked toward the guarded room.

Sirius was being held at the Ministry of Magic for when the guards of Azkaban could return with a dementor. Snape hadn't made Harry go to classes that day, with everything that had happened previously, and everything that was going to happen that night.

As promised, Harry had done his best to eat and then had taken the potion gratefully. He had slept well for once. Also as promised, Snape had returned in the morning. Harry had just woke up, and was splashing water on his face when Snape came in and told him the Aurors were there and had taken Sirius into custody.

Harry begged and pleaded that he be allowed to see Sirius one last time before the execution. Snape seemed hesitant to allow it - what if it were too much for Harry? - but eventually gave in. So Snape was accompanying him to see his godfather.

They approached the cell, and guard let them in, no questions asked, thankfully. Sirius was lying on a cot, one of the only things provided in the small cell. He didn't seem too troubled by his appalling accommodation, Harry realized, probably because of how he was in prison in Azkaban for twelve years. This was a luxury compare to that place.

Sirius sat up in surprise when he saw Harry. Harry walked towards him, and Sirius rose, smiling. Snape lingered behind at the door. Not saying a word, his godfather embraced him. Harry held his godfather tightly. He didn't want to let him go. This was all his fault. The more he thought along those lines, the tighter Harry held on, as though time might stop and undo itself for the ferocity of his hug.

"It's all my fault," Harry murmured. "I'm so sorry. I never wanted you involved. It's all my fault." His breath hitched dangerously as he buried his face in Sirius' clothes.

"Don't blame yourself," Sirius replied kindly. "Did you think I could simply stand back and let them do that to you?" Harry released Sirius and took a step back, looking at the ground, feeling guilty.

"I had to protect - " he mumbled softly, risking a side-long glance at Snape.

"Snape doesn't expect you to protect him," Sirius rebuked him. "And neither do I. You're a child, and you do not have to protect Snape or myself. We are supposed to protect you. And we've been doing a pretty poor job of it. I would kill for you, Harry. I have killed for you. First your uncle, now Nott. Malfoy will think twice before harming you again."

"And what am I supposed to do when you're gone?" Harry asked, none too quietly, his eyes shining as he looked at Sirius.

"You don't need me," Sirius replied, hugging Harry again.

"What are you talking about?" Harry began to sob. "I've always needed you. I needed you in my third year, and I needed you before. I've always needed you, and I still need you. Don't leave me."

"Yes, you needed someone," Sirius agreed. "And I've never been able to provide you with the home and family you need. I've been a proper failure of a godfather for you, Harry. You have everything you need without me. You have - your father. You don't need me."

"Yes, I do need you! Don't say that!"

"Severus?" Sirius asked, turning to the man in the shadows, and releasing Harry. "I've never apologized for that night in the Shrieking Shack. I don't want to die with that on my conscience. My pride has kept me from bringing it up earlier. I never meant to endanger your life, and James and Remus refused to speak with me for some time after that. I almost lost them. Will you forgive me?"

Snape stepped out of the shadows, and didn't say anything, but when Sirius held his hand out, Snape took it and gave it one firm shake. Then Snape released Sirius' hand and stepped back.

"You're forgiven," he said quietly and stepped back into the shadows. Sirius turned back to Harry.

"Now listen to me," Sirius said, his voice stern, as he put one hand on Harry's shoulder, "what happens tonight is not your fault."

"Don't you see?" Harry asked, tears running freely down his cheeks. "It's all my fault. If I had just been stronger with my uncle, that would never have happened, then if I hadn't told Snape, no one would have known, and if I hadn't had a breakdown in the bathroom, Malfoy would never have found out, and if he hadn't owed Nott, yesterday wouldn't have happened. It's all my fault. Please forgive me." Harry wiped his sleeve across his eyes.

"There's nothing to forgive," Sirius replied quietly. "I've never been able to look after you properly. You have Severus now. He's what you need."

"Can't you see that I need both of you?" Harry said past the lump that was quickly forming in his throat. "You've been so busy hating each other that you can't see. I need both of you. I can't do this alone." Harry threw his arms around Sirius' neck. "Please don't leave me," he sobbed. "I need both of you. Don't leave me alone."

There was an abrupt knock on the door.


"Harry," Snape cut in, "we need to go now." Neither Sirius nor Harry seemed to have heard him. He stepped close to the weeping boy and his one-time enemy and put a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder. "We need to leave," he murmured.

"I don't want to leave," Harry muffled without picking his face out of Sirius' clothes. "I want to be with him."

"Harry," Sirius said gently, "I don't want you to see this."

"I'm staying!" Harry frantically shouted, now looking at Sirius. "You shouldn't have to die alone!" There was another knock on the door. Severus and Sirius exchanged a knowing look, and Sirius gently kissed Harry's forehead.

"I'll miss you, Harry." Severus hands gripped Harry's thin shoulders and pulled him towards himself. Harry sniffled, trying to get control of himself, and then tried to fight his way out of Severus' grip.

"Take my godson," Sirius said to Severus, almost frantically. "Get him out of here. Look after him and protect him. Do what I can't."

"You have my word," Severus replied.

"No, no, no," he objected. "You - can't - make - me - leave." Severus put his arms around Harry and manhandled the boy towards the door.

"Take care of him, Snivellus!" Sirius called, his voice almost breaking. "Harry James - Severus - Potter Snape, I'll always love you!" Severus opened the door and forced Harry out of the room with Sirius. A dementor floated close by, sucking what little happiness Harry and Severus still had. Quickly, before Harry could pass out, Severus drew his wand and cast his patronus. A silvery doe circled around the two of them. Without another word, Severus apparated the two of them right outside the Hogwarts wards. Severus still had his arms around Harry's torso from trying to restrain him, and in Harry's despair, the boy collapsed at the waist over Severus' arm.

Severus let Harry go. There was no where he could run to endanger himself at the moment. Instead, Harry let himself fall to the ground where he continued to be racked by silent sobs. Severus knelt on one knee beside Harry, unsure what to do. He reached out and ran his hand over Harry's raven mop. Then he did it again, and again.

"I'm sorry," Severus whispered, as he ran his fingers thought the boy's hair again. "I'm here. It will be alright." Harry didn't react to his voice or touch at all. Severus blinked back some quickly growing wetness behind his eyes. Damn allergies, he thought.