Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Headache and Heartache

When Harry woke, he saw that Snape had reached consciousness before him. Harry felt a little guilty, sleeping in while Snape just sat there holding him. He was surprised that Snape hadn't poked him out of his sleepy stupor and kicked him off his lap, although Harry was certainly grateful to have a warm place to sleep. Plus, Harry couldn't remember ever having been held. It was a good feeling, letting Snape hold him. Even if it was Snape holding him. Harry felt his throat constrict at that thought, that no one else had ever taken the time or the care to hold him, and so that job fell to Snape.

"Finally awake, I see," Snape drawled, breaking Harry's reverie.

"Yes, sir," Harry replied, and immediately tried to push himself off Snape.

"No, stay," Snape said, but his voice made it almost more of a pleading request rather than an order.

"Sir?" Harry asked, as he returned his weight to Snape's lap and he looked at the man expectantly. Snape looked awful. More awful than he usually did. It addition to greasy hair, it was now quite messy and even dirtier than usual. Maybe Snape did shower, and he just happened to have really problematic hair? Snape's jaw was also locked though. It looked like Snape was almost grinding his teeth, and he looked paler than usual.

Snape just closed his eyes and leaned his head wearily on the wall behind them.

"Sir, are you alright?" Harry asked, getting a little worried.

"Don't yell!" Snape hissed at him.

"I wasn't yelling!" Harry stage whispered back at him. "Something's wrong."

"How very astute," Snape drawled quietly, but even then, he winced. "I'm not feeling well."

"Is there anything I can do for you?" Harry asked, careful to keep his voice soft.

"No," Snape shook his head, but then apparently thought better of moving.

"What's wrong with you?" Harry pressed. "You're not - dying or anything, are you?"

"Migraine," Snape ground out. "One minute I'm afraid I'm going to die, and then next, I'm afraid I won't."

"Don't say things like that!" Harry shouted, totally forgetting Snape's request for quiet. Snape's shoulders tensed around his ears. "Sorry," Harry whispered. "What caused it?"

"No food, no water," Snape replied, his eyes still closed. Harry imagined he was trying to block out what little light there was in the lab.

"I - I can leave you alone, if you prefer," Harry offered.

"I'm freezing," Snape said. "As I'm sure you're aware, in addition to light and sound sensitivity, migraines also typically come with nausea and chills." Harry nodded, even though Snape couldn't see it, and settled into Snape's grasp again, this time risking putting his arms around Snape's neck. It was only to keep him warm.

"There's no potions I could get you?" Harry asked.

"None here," Snape replied. "I left the ones I usually take in my office."

"Okay," Harry replied.

"Just let me try to sleep it off," Snape instructed, as he laid his head against Harry's. The two of them were still for some time. What Harry thought was a couple hours later, Snape stirred.

"Feeling better?" Harry asked hopefully when Snape opened his eyes.

"No," Snape replied. "But apparently sleeping isn't going to help. I might as well work on planning your lessons." Snape indicated it was time for Harry to get up, so Harry did. Wearily, Snape rose to his feet, and Harry thought about offering him a hand, but then decided against it, in case Snape thought that made him appear weak. He dragged himself over to his desk, where he collapsed into the chair. Harry watched, and decided it was best to leave Snape alone for the time being. Disturbing anyone with a migraine - especially Snape - was an extremely bad idea.

But that didn't mean that Harry wasn't worried. In fact, this just added to his worries. Now, he was not only worried about being locked up and forgotten, lacking food and water, but he also found himself increasingly worried about Snape. He knew you couldn't die of a migraine - at least he didn't think you could - but that didn't lessen his concern much. Snape was still in excruciating pain. What if he could die of a migraine? He said he felt like he would - but wasn't that all migraines, and just a metaphor of speech? Harry kept turning over images of Snape's dead or dying form while they were locked here.

That would be just his luck, wouldn't it? Find a father, and then have him die the same week that they found out. And Snape's death would be his fault, just like James' and his mum's deaths had been. He wasn't sure how to think of James Potter now. In some ways, he still thought of James as his father. James had died protecting him as though he were the man's son - and that counted for something, didn't it?

"Stop that infernal pacing!" Snape shouted suddenly. Harry froze and realized that he had been pacing back and forth across the potions lab since Snape had started planning lessons. How much time had passed? Harry wasn't sure, but it seemed like a long time.

"Sorry," Harry quickly apologized, and sat down across from the door. As long as he watched the door, he was sure he wouldn't pace.

"Watching the door isn't going to open it either," Snape hissed.

"I know, sir," Harry whimpered, watching Snape fearfully. "What do you want me to do?"

"Just - stop!" Snape said, his voice dripping acid.

"I'm sorry!" Harry pleaded, rising to his feet and backing up a few steps. Snape stood and closed some of the distance between them. "I didn't mean it! Please don't hurt me! I'm sorry!" Harry felt his back collide with the wall, and his panic mounted. Snape stepped close and put his hand around his throat, effectively pinning his against the wall. Memories flooded back, and Harry couldn't help thinking of the multiple times that his uncle put him in this position. Harry's eyes widened, and he grasped Snape's wrist in both is own hands.

Snape's expression changed. He looked upset and agitated.

"Lily," he breathed, and he released Harry. "Lily, I'm so sorry." Harry didn't know what was happening to Snape, and it was scaring him.

"Snape?" he asked cautiously.

"Please forgive me," Snape begged. Harry's jaw dropped when Snape fell to his knees in front of him. "Lily, I remember. I remember everything. I remember you forgiving me before, I remember the wedding, I remember our wedding night, and I remember killing you. I remember giving the prophecy to the Dark Lord and damning you. Please forgive me, Lily, because I can't forgive myself."

"Snape?" Harry tried again, and crouched at eye level with him.

"Forgive me my sins," Snape said, and his voice hitched dangerously. Snape dropped his gaze and brought the back of his hand across his eyes. "See what happens when I forget you? I become a Death Eater and I hate everyone - even our son. Don't leave me, Lily, don't let me forget again! Lily, forgive me!" His voice was frantic, and Snape's dark eyes met Lily's, but Harry didn't know what to do. He stood.

"I forgive you," he whispered softly. Snape covered his face with his hands and sobbed softly. Harry rested a hand on the top of Snape's head. That seemed to break something for Snape. He looked up and Harry pulled his hand back suddenly, afraid Snape might grab his wrist and break it or something. Snape quickly regained his footing, clutched his head, and groaned.

"Oh, God," Snape moaned through clenched teeth. "What happened?"

"You - ah - " Harry hesitated softly.

"What - happened?" Snape ground out.

"You kept calling me Lily," Harry blurted out. "You said you remembered."

"Remembered?" Snape echoed, and he picked his head up a bit.

"You said you remembered the wedding," Harry explained. "The memories Dumbledore erased."

"And I was the one hallucinating this time?" Snape verified.

"Yeah," Harry conceded. "I suppose you could say that."

"Migraines, memories, hallucinations…" Snape muttered to himself, still clutching his head. "Migraines, memories, hallucinations…what am I missing here? I can't think."

"You get the migraines because your memory was altered," Harry said softly. "You're trying to get your memories back. And then sometimes the migraines work and you remember, but then you forget again. You're trying so hard to remember that you hallucinate." Snape took his hands away from his head and looked at Harry curiously.

"Perhaps," he agreed. He groaned again and sank to his knees, resting his forehead on the cold stone. Harry knelt beside him and rubbed comforting circles on his back. Snape didn't stop him, so Harry concluded that it must be an appreciated gesture.

The day passed in a similar manner, as did the night. As the evening wore on, Snape retained the presence of mind to pull his cloak about him and let Harry curl up in his lap, for which Harry was grateful. It didn't seem like sleep was helping Snape's continuing misery, but Harry did everything he could to keep Snape warm. He couldn't count down the minutes till morning fast enough.


Snape sat at his desk, resting his head on the top of it as Harry hopefully watched the door. His patience was rewarded. The door clicked open and Harry jumped to his feet to greet the long expected person.

"Hermione!" he gasped as his jaw dropped.

"Harry?" Hermione exclaimed in return. "What happened to you? What are you - ?"

"Glamours. Long story," Harry explained quickly. "We need to get Snape to the infirmary. Will you get Madame Pomfrey? Please?"

"Of course," Hermione agreed, her brow wrinkling in worry as she looked at Snape. "I'll be right back."

"Thank you," Harry breathed. Hermione turned and left immediately without any further questions.

There was the door. It was open. Harry could leave right then. There wasn't anything holding him back now. After being locked down there for three days, he had expected to rush out. Snape was still sick though, and the better part of Harry reminded himself that if he were the one sick, he would want someone to stay with him. He turned away from the door and went back to Snape. His vision became slightly blurring and his ears felt suddenly warm. Harry laid a hand on Snape's shoulder and stood there resolutely until he saw Madame Pomfrey and Hermione come rushing back to the classroom.

And that was when Harry felt himself lose consciousness and fall to the floor.