Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

What Doth it Profit a Man?

Severus stepped through the floo and felt Harry stumble beside him as they were deposited to their destination. Severus reached out and grabbed Harry by the shoulder. It wasn't enough. Harry kept falling. Without thinking, Severus reached out with both arms and caught Harry before he could fall to the ground. Gently, Severus lowered the boy, and Harry sat, hands supporting him on either side.

Severus glanced around the room and saw his comrades looking at him with a combination of bemusement, confusion, and awe. They were silent. Severus stood tall, and cleared his throat.

"The Dark Lord," he said. "Where is he? I need to speak to him." No one responded. "Bella," Severus tried again, taking a step towards her, "go get him, please. It's urgent." She cocked her head and studied the boy. Of course, none of the Death Eaters recognized him for Harry Potter - he looked too much like Snape - and so there was no mad rush upon him calling for his death. "Please!" Severus tried one last time. "Go get him. My son is dying." That elicited a reaction, and Bella nodded and spun away, presumably to summon the Dark Lord.

"Professor?" Harry asked weakly. Too weakly for comfort.

"Can we - " Severus began, cutting himself off abruptly, "can we please have some privacy?" The other Death Eaters shifted uncomfortably. "Oh my gosh, just leave us alone!" The scattered out of the room. Severus knelt by Harry, supporting him with a hand on his shoulder. Harry leaned gratefully into it.

"Why are we here?" Harry asked, worried, anxiously awaiting a feared answer.

"Dumbledore is stopping us from getting the antidote to the poison," Severus explained carefully. "This is the only other source. I told you it was dangerous, and that you still may not live out the day, but I could promise you you would die if we didn't."

"Yes, sir," Harry agreed.

"I also promised you I would do everything in my power to keep you alive, and I intend to keep that promise," Severus continued, squeezing Harry's shoulder, offering him a tight smile. Harry tried to smile back. "Just let me do the talking."

"It hurts so much," Harry moaned. "Everything hurts."

"I'm sorry," Severus murmured. He ran his hand over Harry's back. The door opened, and the Dark Lord stepped through. Harry screamed in agony as his head burst with pain. Severus patted him one last time on the back, and then stood in respect for the person who had just entered, the person who had the power to save both their lives.

"My lord," Severus addressed him, falling on one knee and bowing deeply.

"Rise," the Dark Lord replied, and Severus did so.

"My request is urgent," Severus began.

"So Bella told me," the Dark Lord acknowledged. "I didn't know you had a son." He looked at Harry curiously. Harry was whimpering and moaning in distress, but Severus tuned it out.

"I didn't either, my lord, until a few days ago," Severus continued. "Dumbledore has poisoned both of us. Thallium poisoning. Prussian blue is the cure, but he won't let it be brought to Hogwarts. Please, my lord, please. We need it."

"And what would you give me in return?" the Dark Lord asked.

"Anything," Severus replied. "I'll do anything."

"Anything?" the Dark Lord asked skeptically. "You've always had reservations about the Death Eaters. I know that."

"I don't care about my reservations," Severus declared, falling to his hands and knees before his master. "I'll take an unbreakable vow of servitude to you, to ensure my eternal loyalty. I'll bind myself in slavery to you for the rest of my life. I'll do any and all of your bidding. Please, just save my son." The Dark Lord looked at Severus and then the boy for a moment.

"Severus, get up," he instructed quietly, and Severus quickly rose to his feet. "Do you know what you're offering?"

"I do, my lord," Severus said resolutely.

"What is your son's name?" he asked, pulling a chair out from under a nearby table and sitting down. He gestured to Severus to sit as well.

"My lord," Severus addressed, buying time as he sat as well, "what part does his name play in your decision?"

"Severus," he warned.

"Please, my lord, I'm offering you everything I am," Severus begged, truly desperate. "I'm offering you my soul. I know you had a son." The room fell into deathly quiet. Even Harry's moaning was silent as he listened. "Minerva told me. If you ever loved your son, if you ever cared about him at all, I implore you, save my son."

"Does Minerva know what became of her son?" the Dark Lord asked quietly.

"No, my lord," Severus answered.

"I do," the Dark Lord continued. "I have looked out for him. I take care of my own blood." The silence pressed inward on the three of them. "Severus, have you never wondered how you were able to join the Death Eaters late, on a whim, how you were able to beg for that mudblood's life without any repercussion, how you were allowed to dabble in Dumbledore's back pocket for years, become his man, and then return to me without so much as a rebuke?"

"My lord?" Severus questioned.

"Surely, you've noticed," the Dark Lord said. "Haven't you?"

"I - I suppose," Severus stammered. "I'm useful to you."

"You're my son," the Dark Lord admitted. "I've looked out for you and called you my own since you joined the Death Eaters. You are my flesh and blood, and I could never raise my hand against you. I could not do to you what had been done to me." Severus blinked stupidly.

"Wait..." he murmured. "I think I need a moment."

"It makes sense, doesn't it?" the Dark Lord pressed.

"I'm a Snape," he contradicted firmly. "I am the son of Tobias and Eileen Snape. Tobias was a muggle, and Eileen was of the Prince family."

"They adopted you," the Dark Lord explained. "Eileen was barren, as is the case in many pureblood families. The muggles refused to let them adopt because of Tobias' drinking habits, but Dumbledore pulled strings and got a baby placed with them. I kept track of Minerva's child, and that child was you."

"You let me stay with my father - even though you knew what he was like, apparently?"

"I had no rights to claim you," the Dark Lord continued. "The biological mother has sole custody in an unwed pregnancy. Minerva chose to give her custody to the Ministry when she put you up for adoption. I could hardly step forward and present myself as a suitable father, now, could I? Instead, I watched and waited until you grew up. You have a natural ability with the Dark Arts, and you're an expert Occlumens. Have you never wondered where you gained such abilities? Eileen was a passable witch, but nothing extraordinary. Anyway, I had high hopes for you when you reached adulthood. You married Lily Evans." Severus' jaw dropped. Had everyone known but him? "Severus, I knew because I kept track of you. You seemed happy, and though I was disappointed in your choice of spouse, the choice was yours. I hadn't exactly had much of a place in your life, and therefore hadn't had much of a say in your choice. Then one day you came to me and asked for admittance into the Death Eaters. Naturally, I was pleased. I marked you as my own in a moment. Do you remember?"

"Yes, my lord," Severus said, still sounding confused.

"I was surprised that you left your wife, but you seemed to have no memory of that."

"I didn't," Severus sighed sadly. "Dumbledore obliviated me. I still don't remember."

"That would explain it then," the Dark Lord agreed. "I have always been lenient with you because I've know of our relationship. And now you've given me a grandson."

"Well, you won't have a grandson much longer if you keep stalling!" Severus shouted suddenly coming out of his shock-induced stupor. "Give him the cure, and I swear I will serve you for the rest of my life."

"Your son is Harry Potter, is he not?" the Dark Lord guessed.

"Yes, my lord," Severus confirmed. "He's your blood, and you take care of your own blood. Cure him, please."

"Of course," the Dark Lord conceded, and summoned a small bottle from several rooms away. "This is the Prussian blue you so desire," he continued, handing Severus the bottle. Severus immediately opened it up and began to count the pills. "There should be enough to cure both of you. You will do me very little good if I accept your offer and then you die because I failed to cure you as well."

"Thank you, my lord," Severus breathed, when he had counted the pills to his satisfaction. He rose and knelt next to Harry, handing him a tablet from the bottle.

"What if it's poison?" Harry asked weakly, holding the tablet, not swallowing it.

"I don't think it is," Severus replied. "If it's not the Prussian blue, then you will die in a matter of hours from the thallium. This could only cure you or speed up the process. I'm so sorry, Harry." Harry swallowed the pill and Severus embraced him.

"Why did you promise him that you'd be a Death Eater for him?" Harry whispered.

"I'm saving your life," Severus replied. "I need to give him something he desires more than your immediate death if I was to convince him to save your life. I swore to you that I would do everything in my power to see to it that you outlived the sunset, and I'm trying to do that." Severus released Harry and swallowed his own pill, then turned to the Dark Lord who watched interestedly.

"Severus," he said, "do you know the circumstances of my own parentage?"

"Riddle, a muggle, and Gaunt, the heir of Slytherin," Severus recited.

"Those were my parents, but do you know the circumstances?" the Dark Lord pressed.

"No, my lord," Severus admitted.

"A love potion," the Dark Lord said. "Ironic, that you're a potions master, isn't it? But that is beside the point. I was conceived of a love potion. That is the reason why I've never been able to love anyone. It is a weakness I don't have, and it is what sets me apart from the rest of humanity. I can't help but notice that you possess a similar handicap, except that you can make select exceptions."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that you loved the Evans girl, and you have come to love your son. Have you loved anyone else?"

"No, my lord," Severus murmured quietly.

"Little Harry seems to have no trouble loving," the Dark Lord continued. "By the third generation, things seem to have returned to their normal state."

"Yes, my lord," Severus acknowledged.

"I have never loved you, Severus, and I cannot love you. It is beyond me. But love and loyalty are not the same thing. I understand what familial loyalty is, even if I have never loved you." Severus nodded.

"I understand, my lord," Severus said. "If I may beg one last trip back to Hogwarts to place Harry in safe hands. I will return to you after."

"What assurance do I have that you will return? Shall I take your bond now?" the Dark Lord asked.

"Please, no, don't do it!" Harry's voice finally cut in. "You can't make him do that!"

"Hush," Severus rebuked Harry.

"Look, Grandfather," Harry said through the pain pounding in his skull, "let him off, please. I need him. I need him." Harry pushed himself to his feet in a heroic burst of strength and determination. "Do you know what I've been through? If you understand loyalty, then let's call off this war. All it will do is tear what little family I have apart." Severus felt warmed by Harry's speech, but turned back to the Dark Lord.

"Dumbledore was the one who poisoned Harry," Severus stated blandly. "I doubt there will be any temptation for me to defect back to him." The Dark Lord nodded to him deferentially.

"I expect to see you again before the day is out."