Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

A Friend Who Wounds Your Mind

Harry returned to where he had dropped his bag and book in the hallway after Snape had dismissed him. All was as he had left it, thank goodness, and he gently picked up the book he had tossed aside as Snape had grabbed him by the arm.

He spotted Hermione and Ron.

"Hey!" he called out to them, and Hermione motioned to Ron to follow her over to him.

"You said you would wait for us after the test," Hermione accused. "We were worried about you."

"Oh, it was nothing," Harry dismissed. "Snape wanted something."

"You and Snape have spent more time together these last couple days than you do all year usually," Ron commented offhandedly.

"It's alright, I promise," Harry pleaded. "He's not been quite - as bad, I suppose, since I talked to him that first day."

"What did you do?" Ron asked. "Threaten him?"

"No!" Harry gasped. "I just - told him something. And he took it seriously."

"What was it?" Hermione asked, her voice laced with concern.

"It - it's not something I can tell you about, not yet."

"Why not?" Hermione pressed.

"I just can't explain it to you yet. Maybe in a little bit."

"But you can tell Snape!" Ron ground out. "You know, you're a bloody hypocrite." Harry looked horrified.

"What are you talking about?" Harry gasped.

"Hermione and I get told we're not allowed to tell you stuff and you blow up at us," Ron started shouting, not caring who heard them. "You didn't care that we'd been told not to tell you things, even though we wanted to. And now you're choosing to keep secrets from us!"

"I'm sor - " Harry began.

"No, I don't want to hear it," Ron continued. "You're acting like a kid, Harry. I really have a problem with your double standard."

"Okay," Harry said cautiously. "I'll stop being upset with you then."

"You already called us a list of names," Ron pouted, crossing his arms sullenly.

"I'm sorry," Harry replied.

"It doesn't fix it."

"There's more to this than a double standard, isn't there?" Harry accused.

"Ron!" Hermione reprimanded him and looked at Harry pleadingly. "I thought we'd already talked this over."

"I don't see why I have to explain myself to you," Ron hissed. "It's not like you're explaining why you're all of a sudden confiding in Snape."

"He was the logical choice!" Harry defended.

"I don't need your reasons!" Ron shouted back, kicking Harry's bag so that the contents spilled everywhere. "Come on, Hermione."

"But - " Hermione began to argue as she glanced between her two friends. Ron turned on his heel, and Hermione sighed, exasperated. "I'll be back eventually, Harry, I'm sorry. This will probably take me the rest of the night to sort out with him." She rolled her eyes and gave a depreciating smile.

"It's okay, Hermione," Harry replied. "If he doesn't want to be my friend, don't make him. I don't want false friends." Hermione nodded, and ran after Ron, leaving Harry alone with his book, as he had been before.

Harry thought about going back to Snape's office and asking what all his antics had been about, but he remembered the glower on Snape's face and decided he wasn't suicidal. But tomorrow, especially if Ron hadn't come around yet, he would look Snape up and ask what was going on.

Ron had done this sort of thing before, Harry sighed, as he began to collect his things, intending to return to the dorm till supper. Ron was a great friend, but he often envied what he thought was Harry's perfect life. You always want what you can't have, Harry thought sadly. He wanted a family who loved him, and Ron wanted fame and fortune. They both had what the other envied, but the difference was that Harry knew that envying Ron for his family wasn't going to get him one. He looked in the direction where Ron had stomped off and hoped things would resolve themselves quickly. Maybe Ron had a point that he had a double standard, but Ron hadn't given him a chance to try to fix it.

"Leaving your things strewn about in the hallway, Potter?" a soft voice sneered behind him. Harry jumped and whirled.

"I - I'm sorry, Professor," he stammered. "I was just cleaning it up."

"I suppose you'll just have to have another detention tonight," Snape said, though his tone seemed more uncertain than if he were handing out a "real" detention. His tone didn't have any of the usual triumphant gloating in it.

"Yes, sir," Harry said. "What time?"

"Seven again," Snape said and stalked off.

Harry supposed he should have been more upset for being assigned even a fake detention for something so trivial, especially something Ron had done. Then again, it meant that Hermione might be able to set Ron straight while he wasn't around, and perhaps Snape was going to explain what had happened today. Maybe he could start to see without glasses!


Severus quickly flooed to Grimmuald Place after arranging the least detention-like detention he had ever assigned. He wanted to be the one to tell Harry, and not have Harry try to figure out what was going on by himself. Severus might despise the boy on several levels, but he had to admit Harry was intelligent and resourceful when it came to solving a problem.

He stepped out of the floo into the kitchen and immediately his eyes fell on the subject of his visit.

"Black," he addressed the man, his tone civil. It wouldn't do to start a shouting match when he had information that he needed.

"Snape," the man addressed.

"We need to talk," Severus said, taking a seat across from his nemesis.

"Oh?" Black replied. "This house is quiet enough, I suppose even talking to you would be a pleasant change."

"I hope to make it brief," Severus continued, lacing his fingers together as he rested them on the table between them. "I have a detention at seven, and it's important I talk to you before that."

"Harry, then?" Black guessed. "You relish punishing the boy too much."

"It's not a real detention," Severus dismissed. "I simply need to talk to him. I did this before, and I think Potter knows what I'm doing this time."

"Oh," Black replied, clearly a bit confused. "Then continue."

"I will," Snape said in a clipped tone. "Did you know Potter suffered a Cruciatus curse the night the Dark Lord came back?"

"No," Black replied, his eyes snapping up to meet Severus'. "Isn't that especially bad for a child his age?"

"Yes," Severus confirmed. "Albus never told me, not until yesterday. I've administered one dosage of a healing potion to him, yesterday, but it's already too late. He's had - effects - from the curse."

"What's wrong with Harry?" Black asked, his voice truly concerned.

"He's had an hallucination," Severus answered. Black slammed his fist onto the table.

"And Albus never thought to tell you to give him a potion for this before?"

"Apparently," Severus drawled. "I would have treated the boy immediately, should I have simply been informed. Anyway, I am not telling you this out of any sort of wish to keep you informed. It's because Potter's hallucination included you."

"You saw the hallucination then?" Black asked.

"The memory of it, yes," Severus continued. He sucked in his breath, trying to find a way to begin. "There's no easy way to say this," Severus sighed, covering his eyes briefly. "Black, my hatred of you is not a hidden thing. While in the beginning, I was inclined to believe Potter, once his memory proved an hallucination, I have no doubt that you're innocent. Please don't take this as an accusation." He relaced his fingers as before.

"Alright," Black said cautiously.

"Harry thinks you - assaulted him."

"What?"

"He believes you - had a thing for James," Severus continued.

"Well, James was my best friend and an extremely good looker," Black said, "but nothing ever happened! Not with James and certainly not with Harry!"

"I'm aware of that, Black," Severus said. "As I pointed out, this was not an accusation. I am here to request that you give Harry some space for awhile. True or not, Harry believes his hallucination. Attention from you could lead to another hallucination. Albus isn't taking the situation seriously, and someone has to. He wants you and the boy to get together to prove to Harry you won't touch him. That is the wrong choice, in my opinion, and I wanted to let you know, so you would understand what was happening. Albus would be the kind to tell you only half the story."

"It is truly a scary thing when you and I agree on anything," Black said thoughtfully. "Are you helping Harry?"

"Yes," Severus said.

"I thought so," Black murmured. "You started calling him Harry. Why? You've never done that before." Severus just looked uncomfortable. "Alright, I will keep my contact with him to a minimum until you've had a chance to sort this out. I hope you can help him."

"I will try my best," Severus assured him. Severus rose and went to the fireplace. He hesitated for a moment and turned and faced Black.

"Why were you chosen as his godfather?" Severus asked.

"Because I was James' best friend," Black replied, clearly caught off guard.

"Mm," Severus grunted. "What was her wedding like, Lily's?"

"It - why don't you know this?" Black asked.

"Just answer the question," Severus sneered. "I want to know what you think."

"It was a bit sudden, if you ask me," Black said. "I mean, I suppose it was understandable. Harry was born about six months after their wedding, and he wasn't a premature baby. But James had loved Lily more than anyone else. She seemed pretty fascinated with you for awhile, and then we sort of stopped hearing about her. All of a sudden, then James was married to her." Severus nodded, and then stepped through the floo back to his office.