Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

What Makes People Unhappy - Scheming

The next day, Severus had potions class with the fifth year Slytherins and Gryffindors. Too late, he realized that Potter had escaped his office without his healing potion for the Cruciatus. Even if he wasn't welcome in Harry's life as a parental figure, he still had no intention of standing by and watching Harry suffer for Dumbledore's carelessness.

Class went according to plan, and there was nothing eventful, for which Severus was grateful. The only thing he noticed was that Potter and the Weasley boy were not sitting together. Granger seemed to be torn between the two of them, and while she sat with Weasley, her gaze often drifted towards Harry.

"Class dismissed," he announced, taking his seat behind his desk. Without looking up, he added, "Potter, stay after class."

"Yes, sir," Harry muttered. The rest of the students filed out, leaving the two of them alone. Severus looked up and saw Harry waiting next to his desk, glaring at him defiantly.

"You left without this," Severus said, lacking the usual malice in his voice he retained for Harry. Severus handed the boy a vial of potion.

"What's it for?" Harry asked, his voice tight.

"Last year, the Cruciatus," Severus explained patiently. "You'll have to take them for a couple weeks."

"I'm fine, sir," Harry replied, putting the potion back on the desk.

"No, you're not," Severus contradicted before he could stop himself. Harry looked at him curiously. "I mean, there are a great number of side-effects that curse could have on someone your age," Severus backpedaled. "It's better to take this precaution, late though it is." Still watching Severus intently, Harry grabbed the potion and drank it.

"So what's wrong with me, then?" Harry asked. Severus' gaze dropped. He didn't think he should tell Harry just yet about the hallucinations. He wanted Harry to find out on his own that they were just that.

"I've hardly done a diagnostic on you," Severus snapped. "I simply know that if a child is exposed to that particular curse, he or she is supposed to take this potion for two weeks, and the sooner after the exposure, the better. Due to the fact that I didn't even know about this incident until two days ago, I could hardly have been expected to give you this potion any sooner."

"No need to feel guilty," Harry muttered, and Severus almost missed it. He decided to pretend he had.

"Am I correct in assuming there's something of a problem between you and Weasley?"

"What is it to you?" Harry snapped. Severus sighed.

"After asking a few delicate questions of my own," Severus began, "I believe your Head of House is a fairly impartial, and knowledgable, person to vouch for my character and my past, in addition to yours."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"I mean that if you have concerns about what I told you yesterday - as well you seem to - you should consult with Professor McGonagall. She has known me longer than most, she knew your mother, and from anything I can gather, she was aware, at least to some degree, of what happened fifteen years ago." Harry's face closed off, and Severus couldn't tell what the boy was thinking.

"Thank you, sir," he said. "May I go, before I'm late for my next class?"

"Yes," Severus said. "I'll have your potion ready for you tomorrow night. Come down to my office and get it. I don't fancy rushing into a lions' den." Harry nodded and left the room.


"Miss Granger," Dumbledore said cheerfully when Hermione entered his office nervously. "A lemon drop?"

"Oh, no, thank you," Hermione said, taking a seat. "My parents are dentists, and Muggle candy is bad for your teeth."

"Of course, of course, that's what a friend of mine used to tell me," Dumbledore dismissed quietly. "How have you classes been lately?"

"Fine, sir. I believe I'm doing well in all of them - well, except for Divination. Is that why you asked me here? I'm truly sorry for disrespectful to Professor Trelawny." Dumbledore smiled a bit.

"I assure you, this has nothing to do with your Divination," Dumbledore said. "You and Mr. Weasley are Harry's best friends, I believe?"

"Yes, sir," Hermione said vehemently.

"I have two special favors, then, to ask of you," Dumbledore instructed, the usual twinkle gone from his eyes. "It is very important that you do it just as I tell you. Will you do that for me, Miss Granger?"

"Of course, Professor!" Hermione agreed. "Is there something wrong with Harry? Is he in trouble?"

"Yes, he is in grave danger," Dumbledore said. "I need to you and Mr. Weasley to distance yourselves from him a bit."

"But Harry needs us!"

"I understand your sentiments, but this will protect Harry in the long run. There are forces at work which you do not understand, and which would be extremely unwise for me to explain to you. If you wish to protect Harry Potter, you must estrange yourself from him."

"Yes, sir," Hermione said, swallowing hard. "And what is the second favor?"

"When Mr. Weasley expresses a desire for a time turner, I want you to give it to him," Dumbledore said, pulling said object from his robes. "I have reason to believe time turners will be a very rare item soon, so be very careful with it."

"Where did you get it, sir?" Hermione asked, breathless as she took the beautiful object in her own hands.

"A friend gave it to me, many years ago," he said.

"It doesn't look very old," Hermione noted. "It looks like the one I had in my third year."

"Time turners are funny things," Dumbledore mused suddenly. "Have you ever wondered if, in fact, there is only one time turner in all of the wizarding world, but that time turner keeps getting passed around through time and space, until it appears that there are many?"

"I - I suppose it could be, sir," Hermione agreed, trying to wrap her mind around the thought.

"So, to get back to topic," Dumbledore said abruptly, "there is no need to bring up this conversation to either Mr. Potter or Mr. Weasley. I suppose, if you must, explain to Mr. Weasley that he must keep his distance from Harry. As far as the time turner, do not mention it to Mr. Weasley, and certainly don't give it to him, until he mentions to you that he would like one. Do not ask him his intentions when he does. He will use it as intended. Needless to say, you are much too intelligent of a girl to use it yourself in the meantime."

"Yes, sir," Hermione nodded.

"Do I have your word that you will do as instructed in both matters?"

"Yes, sir!" Hermione gasped. "Anything to protect Harry!"