Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews! You guys are great!
Chapter 3 - Halloween

Harry woke up in a strange place and looked around sleepily. He was lying on a brown soft sofa with plush cushions, opposite him was a fireplace. The mantle was made up of dark stone, the rest of the furniture was made of a dark wood. There was a big dining table with six high backed chairs. Almost at every turn there was a bookshelf packed with books. Harry looked closer and saw that they were not put in orderly, but instead some of the books lay horizontally on top of others. It looked as if there were simply too many to fit in. Harry thought this is how Hermiones shelves would look like if he ever visited her at home.

"Good morning, Mr. Potter."

Harry jumped and sat up straight, looking for his professor. Harry was still in the previous days' clothes, covered by a warm blanket and lying on a sofa. His hair was as disheveled as his uniform and he reached for his glasses on the low table in front of him.

"Where are we?", he asked, rubbing his eye under the glasses. Snape stared at him for a moment, then answered

"In my living quarters, you fell asleep in the lab."

Harry looked shocked and Snape expected him to be, but for an entirely different reason

"I missed the last steps?", he asked shrilly "But... but...!"

Snape relaxed visibly and then answered "You can come the next time too. We'll have you nap before we start..."

"I don't need to nap! I'm not a baby!", Harry said embarrassed and indignant "I can stay awake that long."

He received a raised eyebrow at that

"I can!", Harry protested "It was only late and warm and my chair is kind of really comfortable..."

Snape looked surprised at the words 'my chair' but didn't correct him.

"Well, there is a condition if you want to come the next time I brew Veritaserum."

"What?", Harry asked eagerly

"You tell me when you're hungry.", Snape raised a finger and admonished "You didn't have any dinner. Professor McGonagall would murder me if she knew."

Harry blinked "I... well I didn't feel hungry."

But Snape wasn't listening, he already knelt at his fire and was ordering breakfast. Harry smoothed out his clothes and made for the lab to retrieve his bag and go.

"The bathroom is the other way."

Harry stopped in his tracks and looked blankly at Snape "What?"

"Don't you want to wash your face and order that birds nest before breakfast?", Snape pointed at a door "I have laid out a tooth brush for you, its blue."

Harry stared a moment, then went into the bathroom. Snape had indicated the left of the two rooms. It was small but had everything a man like Snape would need – which surmounted to the bare essentials. Well, this would save him time. Instead of going all the way up to Gryffindor tower, then all the way down to the Great Hall, he could go to breakfast directly. He might even make it and get some waffles. His mood lifted at that thought. More awake and ready for the day, Harry left the bathroom and went straight for the lab door.

"Where are you going?", Snape asked bewildered

"I'm getting my things and going to breakfast, sir.", Harry answered

Snape stared at him, breakfast spread on the big dining table in front of him

"Mr. Potter.", he started slowly "I will try to make this as clear as humanly possible. You are going to eat your breakfast here. With me. At this table."

He indicated a place at the table where a glass and plate where waiting for him. Harry just stood and stared

"Well?"

"I'll eat with you?", he asked tentatively and looked up at the professor.

"Is there a problem with that?"

"No.", Harry hastily answered and took his place "I just never thought... Well, thank you sir."

Snape scowled at that and said "No need to thank me."

They ate in silence for a while, Harry practically inhaling the waffles and Snape giving a pointed look at the fruit. After Harry had topped his third waffle with berries, Snape spoke "Why would you not ask for dinner and expect me to let you go away without breakfast?"

Harry looked at him and shrugged "I thought you meant for me to eat in the Great Hall, sir. And I really didn't feel hungry at all yesterday."

"You were too excited, I understand that. But do you really think this lowly of me, that I would let you leave hungry and risk for you to miss breakfast at the Great Hall as well?"

Snape didn't know why this simple misunderstanding was irking him so much. It was just that he didn't like to think that they're relationship hadn't changed and that the child still thought of him as a mean old dungeon bat. Not that there was anything wrong with bats... Harry had never thought about it that way and shook his head "I just didn't expect you to..."

"Yesterday I picked you up and let you sleep in my rooms. I took off your shoes and glasses and covered you with one of my blankets. I lit a fire, so you wouldn't be cold.", Snape said watching Harrys cheeks grow redder and redder "I didn't even think twice about it. Why would you not expect me to feed you as well?"

Harry felt cornered. He didn't know why. "Well I never asked you to do anything! It would have been alright if you just woke me up and sent me up to the tower. I was actually expecting that!"

"After all this time we have worked together, you really think I would shake you from your sleep and send you up the cold and empty castle to Gryffindor tower, when you can just as well sleep here?", Snape asked incredulously, getting unaccountably angry at the boy "Do you still think of me as an enemy? As someone who wants to harm you?"

Harry shook his head "No... but... don't you understand? No one ever does that!"

"Oh come off it!", Snape snapped "You want to tell me, your relatives never carried you to bed, never tucked you in? What else? They don't feed you as well?"

Harry lost all the color in his face and looked at Snape like a deer caught in headlights. Snapes mouth opened a little and he saw the truth in those green eyes, even without legilimency.

"They don't?", he whispered disbelievingly. Harry cleared his throat, then shakily stood up.

"Thanks a lot Professor, for everything. I really appreciate it.", he said formally, then practically fled into the lab. Snape heard him rummaging with his bag, then leaving through the office door.

He stared dumbfounded at the plate with a half eaten waffle on it. A strawberry fell from a corner. The child had packed the waffle full, topped it with cream even. He had eaten like someone would take it away any second. Snape knew that feeling. Take as much as long as you can. He shoved his breakfast away, he suddenly felt ill.


Snape burst into McGonagalls office and declared "Minerva, this can't be right!"

She looked up bored, then indicated the door "As polite as ever. Would you at least close the door? Now, what seems to be the problem?"

Snape turned back to her, ready to burst out with his knowledge, then halted a moment. Did Harry want him to tell? He shook his head. Where had that come from? There was no question about what the child wanted, he hadn't confided in him – why did that thought feel so bitter? – Snape had practically stumbled on the information. And Harry? What the...? He shook his head again, trying to clear it. Then he slumped into the chair in front of his colleague.

"Minerva. What do you know about Harrys relatives?"

Minervas eyebrows rose to her hairline. Harry? She listed in stakkato style "Well, I saw them once. They are very uptight. They have a son Harrys age. The father could stand in at a zoo replacing a rhino and his son comes after him. Petunia is just as bony as her men are fat. She looks as if she measured the grass in her front lawn every morning with a ruler."

Snape stared at her desk "I knew Petunia. I had thought... I believed she must have grown up. She hated magic, hated her sister for having it. She was jealous of us, of our friendship. But she married, she had a child! I would have never thought... why wouldn't she raise her orphaned nephew with the same care as her son? She couldn't still be holding a grudge against her sister... It just couldn't be..."

Minerva refrained from pointing out that Severus had been doing the exact same thing in regards to Harrys father "What have you found out Severus? That he really isn't the pampered little prince you believed?"

Snape gulped, then looked up. His cold demeanor gone, vulnerability visible in his face and eyes.

"He's like me, Minerva.", he whispered "Not only the potions... They hate him. They don't care about him. They starve him."

Minerva looked shocked "Did he tell you?"

"No, but I know."

"How?"

He recounted the mornings events and looked hopefully at Minerva, maybe she had a perfectly good explanation. She shook her head.

"I believe you understood correctly, Severus. Everything points to it. The hand-me-down clothes he wears, the state his glasses are in, the way he has yet to spend one holiday at home and how he looks miserable at the end of term and elated at the beginning."

Snape lowered his head into his hands "He's me, all over again."

"Severus.", Minerva said softly "Do you think he'd talk to you? We cannot do anything unless he admits to mistreatment and neglect."

"I don't know. I never told anybody.", he said, he remembered the child turning into his embrace the day before. The way they had warmed each other, even if it was only for a moment and unconsciously done. He felt cold all over "But I will try. What about Albus?"

Minerva pursed her lips "What about him? He doesn't even react to it. If you ask me, I think he knows. He's just trying to see how far he can go. He is determined to keep the wards as long as possible. And he is compromising Harrys happiness for it."

Snape felt an age old anger flaring up in him. He wouldn't let the same thing repeat itself. Harry would not suffer the way he had.

"This is outrageous!", he stormed "I will not have it. The boy will not return to his relatives this summer. He will never have to see that house or those vile creatures again. And if I have to, I will squeeze the information out of him, but he won't return."

When he had finished his outburst Minerva calmly replied "That is all very well, Severus. But have you thought about what the next step would be? Where would the boy go then?"

Snape thought about this. The Weasleys would probably bend over backwards to take him. But that thought didn't sit well with him. The same unsettling jealousy as before came up in him. He wanted the child, he realized with a jolt. The feeling was overwhelming as if it had been clear as day for weeks and not just come to him this instant: He wanted to take care of this child and more than that, he wanted to be his father. It was so strong, he felt his head swimming – was this normal? Could this be normal? Slowly he looked up at Minerva "I could take him. Its only for the summer each year. Only five summers left, actually."

Minerva gave him an incredulous look "You? Excuse me Severus, but are you out of your mind?"

"Why?", he asked in a hurt tone "I can provide for him. He'd have a room, three meals a day and every other necessity. I can take care of a twelve year old. We spend a lot of time together as it is. He is not really high maintenance."

Minerva still looked like he had lost his mind "I'm not saying you won't be able to provide for him. But you can't expect us to take him from an abusive home and put him in a loveless."

The color drained from Snapes face at those words. Loveless. A feeling of indignation came up in him, but this time he beat it down – he was the man who had terrorized this child for over a year. He never showed any kind of interest in him other than how to get him expelled as fast as possible. There was no logical reason why he would want to take Harry. He just knew he did. Minerva realized her mistake at once.

"Severus, I didn't mean it like that... Its not that you can't feel or give love. Its just... Oh, come on! I know you're treating him fairly, but really caring for him, loving him...? Do you think you could love him? Like a real parent?"

Snape looked at the desk "No, you're right.", he said quietly, sanity washing over him like cold water "I could provide him with a roof over his head, with food, but it all seems empty without the love of a parent. It would be an improvement, but still... He does deserve better. Of course, you're right."


Harry went back to Gryffindor Tower in a trance. What would Snape think now? Did he suspect how the Dursleys treated him? Would he change now? And why would Harry care? Harry gave the portrait the password and slipped inside. Hermione spotted him and excitedly asked "Well, how'd it go?"

Harry tried to smile at her enthusiasm but failed miserably.

"What?", Ron asked, he was munching on a toast he had brought back from breakfast "And why where you not in the Great Hall?"

"I ate with Snape.", Harry mumbled and sat down between them

"Did something happen?", Hermione asked gently "Did he hurt you?"

That startled Harry from his short reverie "No, no of course not."

Ron and Hermione looked relieved and Harry realized that he thought of Snape hurting him was completely ridiculous to him now. He couldn't imagine the man doing anything but what was in his best interest. He felt surprised but pleased at the realization. Snape had come a long way and now he was one of the adults Harry accepted and respected. But Hermione and Ron still seemed wary of him, which filled him with affection for them. They wouldn't let their guard down!

"No, he didn't hurt me. He was actually really nice.", Harry admitted "He let me sleep on his coach" carried me to bed "gave me a blanket" tucked me in "and we ate breakfast together" he didn't starve me.

"Why do you look so... lost then?", Hermione asked carefully

"Well, the Dursleys came up.", Harry whispered "I think he suspects..."

Ron and Hermione exchanged a hopeful look "But that's good news. Maybe he can do something about it."

Harrys sighed, he had been through it all "Guys. Do you think Snape is more powerful or smarter than Dumbledore?" They shook their heads "Do you think he cares more about me?" Ron actually snorted at that "So, if Dumbledore can't do anything, Snape can't either. I don't need another person worrying about all of this, when it won't change a thing."

"You never know Harry.", Hermione implored "Tell him, maybe there's something, anything he can do! He might be able to intimidate your relatives. Maybe he'll take you on as an apprentice earlier, so you can stay with him."

Hope bloomed inside of Harry. That would be great. Snape would be loads better than the Dursleys. If nothing else, he'd let Harry in peace. But he stopped himself.

"No, no I can't do it."

"Harry! Why?"

"No, listen.", Harry interrupted their pleas "One day Voldemort will come back. Dumbledore said so, everyone in the Wizarding World I respect thinks so too. He will. He already tried last year. One day he'll make it. And from then on he'll be after my blood. If I have to choose who I'd rather endanger with my presence I'll definitely choose the Dursleys."

Ron and Hermione couldn't argue with that.


Snape stared moodily around the Great Hall decorated in pumpkins and bats, ghosts flying playfully close to students heads. That alone would be enough to make Snape hate the day, but it also was the day he had lost everything worth living for. To have to now sit there and look at all these happy little faces stuffing themselves made him actually sick. He stared at his plate and shoved his food around.

"The pumpkin pie is delicious Severus. You should really have some!", Minerva tried to cheer him up. Snape gave her a glare and then looked around the hall, as a way to pointedly ignoring her. While gazing around he realized what was missing. Or to be exact – who was missing.

"Where are Potter, Granger and Weasley?", he asked Minerva. She looked around and then frowned

"I haven't seen them all day."

"Maybe...", Snape stopped and cleared his throat uncomfortably "Maybe Mr. Potter isn't feeling well and they are... giving him some company."

Minerva looked surprised and asked "Why would he not feel well?"

Snape groaned inwardly "Today is the day his parents died."

Minerva opened her mouth slightly in shock "Of course! You're right... Poor thing... I guess he didn't know last year, but Albus must have told him at the end, when they had their chat in the infirmary. Of course he would not want to celebrate..."

'As I don't', Snape thought and then looked around "He should not brood..."

Minerva raised an eyebrow at that

"I am an adult, I have every right to brood if I please", he countered "I'll look for him and take his mind of things."

He stood up before Minerva could say anything to stop him.

He left the hall and breathed a sigh of relieve. Finally. This was as much for himself as for Harry. He could not stand this horrible holiday. Still moody he walked through the entrance hall, trying to decide where he could look for the children. As if summoned by his thought they burst out of the dungeons and ran at high speed up the stairs. Snape could barely scream "Hey!" and they were already out of sight. Without thinking much about it, he chased after them.

He could hear their thundering steps and as such easily follow them up to the second floor where they stopped dead. For a second dread filled him. What could have made them run like the dogs of hell where at their heel at one second and then stop dead at the next? He turned a corner and saw them standing together, unharmed and panting, staring at a wall. Relieved that they were in one piece he turned to look what had caused their frozen state. He froze himself.

"THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED. ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE"

He stared at the writing and the cat hanging in front of it, not taking anything in. At the exact moment that Weasley saw him, "Snape!", the rest of the school came bustling up the stairs. Snape had no time to send them away or do anything else and a moment later they were surrounded by shocked silence. He listened to Draco Malfoys stupid shout and the other teachers sending the students to their dormitories, to Filch's annoying cries and Dumbledore reassurance.

"I want to see some punishment!", Filch demanded "They killed my cat."

"They did not", Snape snapped, finally at the end of his patience "Look at them! They are twelve years old. Do you really believe they could petrify your annoying feline?"

Filch gaped at him

"He is right of course, Argus.", Dumbledore said, sending a warning look at Snape "She is not dead; merely, as Severus said, petrified. Pomonas Mandrakes are growing marvelously and then a simple Draught will restore your cat to her normal self."

"I will brew it!", Lockart said pompously "I could do it with my eyes closed."

"Excuse me.", Snape whispered in a deadly tone "I believe I am the Potions Master in this school."

Lockart turned pale

"And for your information, I believe you couldn't even brew it if I directed your hands, you imbecile."

"Severus.", Dumbledore warned, with a look at the students. Snape composed himself

"Argus, I will have Mr. Potter here brew the batch for your cat.", Snape said finally "Don't worry, it will be perfect."

Argus whimpered and shot an ugly look at Harry "It better be!"

"Mr. Potter, follow me.", Snape said coldly and took Harry away from prying eyes. They went down into the dungeons and his office. As soon as the door closed, Snape faced Harry.

"Where were you?"

"I didn't do it! I promise, sir, you have to believe..."

"Be quiet!", Snape snapped "I know you didn't do it. I want to know where you were and why you were running like that. I saw you three running up the stairs like mad men."

"We were at Nearly Headless Nicks Deathday Party. It was kind of boring, so we left for the common room."

"Did the ghosts chase you out?", Snape asked icily "The whole truth if you please. Where were you running and why?"

Harry shuffled his feet "There... um... there was this voice Professor."

"Voice?", Snape asked blankly. This did not bode well...

"Yeah, I heard it when we were coming out of the dungeons and I followed it. Ron and Hermione followed me..."

"Why were you running?", he felt like a broken record, asking the same thing again and again "What did the voice say?"

Harry gulped and then whispered "It said 'Ripp, Tear, Shred, Kill'."

Snape felt cold, he took Harry by the shoulders and asked quietly "You are alright?"

Harry nodded, then bit his lip. There was something else "Sir. No one else could hear that voice..."

Snape struggled to compose his features. He squeezed Harrys shoulders in a reassuring way.

"And it led you to the writing and the cat?"

"Yes, I followed it but when we arrived it was gone... I couldn't hear it anymore."

Snape nodded

"You believe me, right?", Harry asked hopefully, he was testing Snape. If he didn't pass this test, there was no possible way he could trust him with even more important things "You don't think I'm crazy?"

Snape squeezed his shoulder again "No, I don't believe you're crazy. You heard a voice and it led you to... the scene. There must be a connection. But Harry, the next time you hear that voice, for God's sake, please don't follow it." Harry nodded "Get a teacher, any adult."

Snapes heart was still thumping and he realized that instead of the stupid cat, it could have been Harry lying there. And then it wouldn't be Argus, who would be devastated but...

He suddenly took Harry in his arms and held him tightly

"Professor?", Harry asked shrilly "What's wrong?"

Snape closed his eyes. How could he put words to this feeling of cold dread and fear that had taken a hold of him? It was completely irrational. The child was here, secure in his arms, unharmed. And still, just the thought of loosing him like that...

"Promise me.", he urged Harry "Promise me, you won't follow that voice alone."

"I wasn't alone.", Harry protested, squirming in his arms

"You won't follow it without a qualified wizard!", Snape said "That excludes Hagrid and Filch."

Harry patted him awkwardly and Snape let go. He saw that Harry had blushed and looked uncomfortable, but pleased all the same.

"I promise."


"What did Snape say?", Ron asked the moment Harry entered

"Nothing. He wanted to know what happened.", Harry said and sat down by his friends.

"You look kinda happy though.", Ron remarked and Harry immediately schooled his features

"Huh? No.", he said as if he had been caught stealing cookies. Hermione gave him an annoyingly knowing look but let the subject drop.

"Who do you think opened the chamber? And what kind of chamber is it?"

"Some kind of 'Heir'", Ron said "And I guess that would be the chamber of secrets. You know: Slytherins chamber."

"No I don't", Hermione said, sounding put out "What is that?"

"There's this legend. Slytherin built a secret chamber in Hogwarts before he left the school. There is supposed to be some monster in there that tries to kill anyone who isn't a pure blood."

"Lovely.", Harry said "Sounds like Slytherin alright."

"So the Heir would be Slytherins heir?", Hermione asked "He wants to rid the school of anyone without 'pure blood'"

"And that sounds like Malfoy to me.", Harry said

"Yeah.", Ron said, nodding

"Yes but it could just as well be any other Slytherin student, don't you think?"

"But how would you ever find out who is behind all of it?", Harry asked "It could be any pure blood. And until they're found, they will keep petrifying people. It was only Mrs. Norris this time. Who knows who'll be next."

Ron shot a scared look at Hermione and then said "We need to find out if its sodding Malfoy."

"He would boast about it.", Hermione said "Just not in front of anyone who would tell."

"Probably in their common room.", Harry said "But only Slytherins can enter."

Hermione looked at Harry as if his face was glowing "Of course! If we could turn into Slytherins, we could sneak in and listen him out."

Harry caught her meaning "Yeah, I think I could brew it if I had the ingredients!"

"Do you think you could nick them at one of your Friday lessons?", Hermione asked excitedly

"Yeah. Snape always lets me clean everything up and bring out the ingredients."

"If at any time soon, you know during the next ten years or so, you think you're ready to tell me... I'll be right here.", Ron said and took out 'Quidditch through the Ages' to hide behind. They laughed and then explained about Polyjuice Potion.


"Mr. Potter.", Snape greeted "Up with those sleeves, we have work to do."

"What will we brew today, professor?", Harry asked, eager to begin and stave off any questions about his relatives

"The Shrinking Solution. Your Classmates will brew the Swelling Solution and I need an antidote at hand, in case one of them decides to take up more empty space than usual."

Harry cracked a grin and started assembling ingredients. When Snape didn't pay attention he pocketed Boomslang skin and Horn of Bicorn for their Polyjuice Potion. He did feel bad about it but decided that he had only promised Snape to not follow the voice, he didn't say anything about following Malfoy or brewing illegal Potions...

Mimicking his Professors motions, he brewed it alongside him and soon forgot about the ingredients in his pocket. He felt satisfied when he finished the potions and bottled it for his teacher. A faint smile graced his lips as he cleaned up. He would've never believed it possible that potions could be so calming and satisfying. Snape motioned for him to follow and they entered the Professors private quarters. He ordered tea for them and they sat down on the sofa.

"Good work today, Mr. Potter.", Snape said calmly while he folded back his sleeves. Harry smiled at him and followed suit, again realizing that his teacher was hiding something beneath his left sleeve.

"Now", he said, pouring tea for Harry and indicating for him to take some biscuits "you left our last conversation unfinished."

"The one about the chamber...?", Harry asked hopefully

"No, the one about your relatives."

Harry looked up from the biscuit he had between his teeth

"Eat.", Snape ordered and Harry bit "You can eat while I talk. Just listen, is that alright?"

Harry nodded

"So, in my capacity as head of house I have encountered many students with problems in their families. It ranges from discussions about career plans to outright abuse." Snape paused a moment, remembering those students, then continued "According to the situation it is my duty to help. Sometimes I arrange meetings with the parents and negotiate. At other times we need to remove the child from that home. For that matter I consult Wizarding Family Services. They take the child and place them with a suitable foster family, if no one comes to claim them."

He paused again and looked at Harry, who was listening intently, munching on his cookie "I believe and I have consulted on this matter with both Madam Pomfrey and your Head of House, that your placement with your relatives may be inadequate for your needs. No, listen", he raised a hand to stop Harry from interrupting "if this is the case, we will have to take action. I know you are in an unique position. Your safety comes first and we don't want to endanger innocents. Former followers of the Dark Lord might still be after you, no question about the time when he returns to his body."

Harry nodded solemnly and cast his eyes down. The hopeless motion clawed at Snape heart. "Look at me, Harry."

Surprised to hear his first name from the teacher, Harry looked up at him "You are not a martyr. You are a not a sacrifice. I will not allow you to become one. You have every right to be happy and cared for. If this is what you want we will find a way, I promise you. I know you have no reason to trust me or any other adult. But we will fight. Give us a chance to."

Harry eyes were filled with emotion, his mouth dry. He quickly sipped his tea and tried to compose himself.

"All you need to do, is take the first step."

Harry pursed his lips as if to stop any words from tumbling out

"Harry.", he looked up "do your relatives treat you unfairly?"

Harry stared at the black eyes, then slowly shook his head. No.

"Do they starve you?"

Again. No.

"Do they hit you? Verbally abuse you? Do they use you as a slave? Do they neglect you? Do they treat their son better than you?"

Harrys throat contracted, he closed his eyes and kept shaking his head. Suddenly Snape took his chin in his fingers and turned his head towards him.

"Look at me.", Harry opened his eyes "Its alright. I understand."

Harry felt his heart thumping in his chest. He longed to tell the truth, he was craving that sympathy and care. It was right there, right in front of him. But he couldn't reach out, he couldn't take it.

"Its ok.", Snape whispered again "I'll be here when you're ready. Just know that: I'll be here."

Harry slumped forward, relieved that Snape would stop asking now. And suddenly he felt those arms around him, bringing him to the mans chest. He was receiving that care and comfort he wanted and without opening up, too. He leaned into the embrace and the tears came without bidding.

"Shh... child, its ok.", Snape murmured above him "I'll be here. Always."

Harry took a fist full of Snapes shirt and burrowed his face in it. Snape was rubbing circles on his back, stroking his messy hair. He felt so safe, so good in this embrace, he wanted to stay here forever. Was this what it felt like to have a parent? He had thought, just a taste of it would be enough to survive for the rest of time. But this was addictive. He didn't want to let go. Ever. He wanted to stay right here and soak himself up with all of this, so he could live off the memory when he was back at Privet Drive. Everything his relatives did, seemed a hundred times worse now. This is how they had been supposed to treat him! Harry gave a heart wrenching sob and felt Snape lower his chin on his head. He was already almost on Snapes lap and now he felt encompassed by him. He finally stopped crying and just leaned into the man.

"I'm sorry.", he mumbled "I don't know what..."

"Its alright.", Snape said, not letting go "You're not the first student to do this. Relax."

Harry nodded and felt a lot better. He was not the first. He was not behaving like a complete baby and making a fool of himself. Snape kept stroking his hair and Harry actually felt drowsy. Sometime during the episode Snape had taken his tea cup but Harry had drunk enough to feel warmed inside out. He didn't realize that this feeling had nothing to do with tea. He shook himself and leaned away. Snape still didn't let go.

"Are you alright now?", he asked concerned, looking questioningly into Harrys eyes. Harry nodded and took the offered handkerchief. Snape finally then let go "Are you sure? Do you want to stay?"

Harry shook his head, then felt like nodding. He shrugged, unsure of what he wanted.

"I don't want the others to see...", he mumbled. Snape nodded.

"Stay here, then.", he said softly "I'll have the elves bring some dinner and your nightclothes."

"Elves?"

"House elves.", he said, then elaborated "They're the ones who cook and clean at Hogwarts. Wait, I'll show you."

Snape went to his bookshelf and then took out a book which he gave Harry. It read "Elves and their ways." Harry opened it and began reading.

Snape took the opportunity to study the preteen. It was a good sign that he had opened up enough to be comforted. It was a step in the right direction. Snape had not expected him to tell him everything about his home life the first time he asked. But he would keep at it.

What worried him was how he had felt when the child leaned on him for support. It was like being completed. It frightened him. This feeling towards the child was growing out of control. If he didn't reign in it, it might make him do something stupid. But now there was no time for any of this. He needed to get the boy settled in.

When they had had dinner together, Snape gave him a blanket and a cushion, then transfigured his sofa into a bed.

"Will you be alright?", he asked and Harry nodded "If you need something... anything at all, I'm in there." He pointed at his bedroom door. Harry nodded again.

"Sir?"

Snape turned back to him

"Thanks a lot. Really... I don't even know how to..."

"Its quite alright, really.", Snape interrupted, then something told him to go on one step "I know exactly how it feels. I've been there."

With that he turned around and disappeared.

Harry stared at the door. Did that mean what Harry understood? It had to. Snape had been treated like that too. He understood. That thought comforted Harry more than anything and he fell asleep feeling completely safe.


Voices drifted to him.

"Severus, is everything alright?"

"Yes, Minerva. He had a little breakdown, its not world news.", Snape answered

"Still.", she sounded really worried "He is always so... I can't imagine him crying, really. Did something happen?"

"As I told you, Minerva. I broached the subject of his relatives and he... well..."

"Did he reveal anything? Anything we can use to get him out of there?"

"Not yet, Minerva."

"Can I see him?"

Snape laughed at that "He's asleep, Minerva. There's nothing exciting to see."

"I'm not.", Harry said and opened his eyes. A moment later Snape and McGonagall entered the room.

"Ah well, there you go. Still in one piece.", Snape said to his colleague, she ignored him

"Are you alright Mr. Potter?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good, good.", she said, still looking worried and flustered

"Really Ma'am.", he reassured her, getting up "Professor Snape took good care of me."

She looked him up and down as if she was checking for injuries, then nodded, apparently satisfied.

"Well, you better get ready for the day.", she said "Do you need anything?"

"No, I have a toothbrush here.", with that Harry left for the bathroom. Before he closed the door, he heard her saying

"He has a toothbrush here?"

"What did you expect? I wasn't going to give him mine."

Snape retransfigured his coach and sat down with McGonagall.

"Have you thought about a placement?"

Minerva shook her head "I have but... Its rather difficult."

"I know. I have tried to think of someone as well but..."

"Only the Weasleys fit most of the characteristics but I don't believe we could secure the Burrow enough. Arthur at least leaves every day for work... It makes the whole spellwork difficult. The same applies to almost every other family..."

Snape again thought of himself. During the summer he rarely left his home in Spinners End. Albus had been kind enough to grant him and the other teachers one house elf each, because with the castle empty they got bored easily. Snape mostly sent the elf outside and had little reason to venture out himself. He pursed his lips, thinking of a way to bring the subject up again.

McGonagall read his mind "Severus, I know you wish to take Harry yourself. But have you thought about your role? When He-who-must-not-be-named returns, you wouldn't be able to resume your duty."

Snape used this argument to his own advantage "But Minerva, it would be the perfect disguise! No one need know he is with me. Who would suspect that he's staying with me? We would be hiding him in plain sight."

McGonagall pondered this "The official paperwork would need to state a different name."

"We could use Albus for it. If he consents to the whole plan, he should be the official guardian. I myself have never understood why he didn't take him in the first place."

"I have no idea.", Minerva whispered "But I believe this would work... Theoretically... But Severus, have you really thought this through? Harry is not a pet. He needs more than food, clothes, games and a pat on the head once a while."

Snape made a face at that "I know that. If he is willing, I am too."

"Is he?"

Snape thought about it "He hasn't admitted to the abuse but he... well, he turned to me for comfort. Its a good sign, no?"

Minerva smiled at him and then softly said "Yes, I believe it is."

Harry didn't really like to eavesdrop, but this conversation was just too interesting. But when they changed the topic and started discussing lessons, he stopped listening in. Snape wanted to take him. This made Harry feel warm and content. An adult who offered to take him. It was like a dream come true. But he snapped out of his folly at once. He was being stupid. If he told Snape about the way the Dursleys treated him – 'abuse' Snape had called it – there would be no going back. He could not risk it. He could not risk Snapes safety. Now even less than before.

He left with Professor McGonagall to go to his classes. As today was Quidditch, he and Snape had had moved their lesson to yesterday, a Thursday. He was a bit nervous about playing against Slytherin, but he didn't understand why. There was no reason for it. He didn't feel anxious to win, he actually was sure he could beat stupid Malfoy. And their team was loads better than Slytherins. So why was his stomach in knots then?

Chapter End Notes:
Hi!

Longest chapter in the story, yay!

I changed the storyline a bit but I think thats excusable. I hope the last conversation between Snape and Harry wasn't boring because Snape had a lot to say and Harry mainly listened. But I wanted to show that Snape wants him to know all the procedures so he feels safer. You know, most children of abuse don't talk about it because of shame and the unknown. They don't know what will happen to them when they finally open up, they can't bear it if it would get worse. So I had Snape try and give him some security through this. Its a small step but I hadn't seen it in any other story and wanted to try - what did you think?

Next time: Chapter 4 - A Bludger to the Heart

Harry gets the snitch and his bones removed. Snape gets pissed at Lockart - even more than before!