Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5 – Dueling horrors

Weeks past, the Polyjuice Potion bubbled quietly away, Snape and Harry worked on several advanced Potions and to Harrys surprise on various sweets. He sneakily asked the Professor if he would stay for Christmas and didn't feel half as bad for staying himself. Snape seemed to be getting into a better mood with every passing week. At first Harry prided himself for this change as he was getting better with Potions theory as well as the brewing. But he soon realized, even if the Potions Master was pleased by this, it was when they sat together after their lesson to have tea that his mood lifted considerably. Mostly Harry only caught up with his homework during those times and Snape made notes on a long parchment. Harry assumed it was a potions project and even though he was curious, he expected Snape to show it to him eventually, so he concentrated on his work. It was a week before Christmas break that Harry would learn the true reason behind Snapes mirth.

"I'm so excited!", Hermione squealed as they waited at the end of the platform for Lockart to appear. Even if Harry thought the dueling club was a great idea he didn't think Lockart teaching it would be more than a joke. He was willing to give it a shot anyway. But when Lockart appeared on stage, wearing deep magenta robes, he looked nervous. He kept glancing back as he railed off his prepared speech and then timidly said that it was time for a demonstration. The next words out of his mouth explained his nervousness.

"Professor Snape, if you would join me please?"

Snape ascended to the stage and gave Lockart a cool predatory smile "With the utmost pleasure, Professor Lockart."

Lockart paled but held his ground, clearing his throat several times he asked the other professor to show the students the accepted combatative position. They faced each other, bowed – more or less – and then brandished their wands at each other.

"I think it might be prudent, professor, to show them how to defend yourself if attacked by unfriendly spells, no?", Snape asked silkily but before Lockart could answer he had already shot a non-verbal spell at him. It hit the other professor in the chest and nothing happened. At first. Lockart looked down at his robes stupidly as they started to slowly turn transparent. Some of the girls screeched in delight but Snape didn't let it go too far. Lockart had already tried several spells to undo Snapes but of course he was unsuccessful. Snape took pity when everyone could see his undergarments and the other professors face had resumed the former color of his now translucent robes. "My, my professor. I had never thought you wouldn't be able to block my spell and furthermore to undo its effects. Being the great dueler and adventurer that you are. Finite."

The last word returned color to Lockarts robes, but they were no longer magenta. Snape, apparently deciding that there was really no color the idiot would object to wearing, had turned them gray. Lockart blinked but wisely refrained from commenting. Before he could say anything to his defense Snape continued

"Won't you demonstrate the use of 'Protego', professor? This time I'll give you fair warning."

At the count of three the next spell hit Lockart before he could even raise his wand in defense. This time Lockarts hair disheveled and turned into the state it presumably held when he woke up. The next few spells hit target every time stripping the peacock of all his color and shine. Every spell the self absorbed teacher had used to polish up his appearance was undone by Snape until he looked as unattractive as his sad gray robes. Lockart was panting and sweating as he had frantically tried to conjure up a shield that would be sufficient to block Snapes spells. Snape finally lowered his wand and sneered at Lockart. In a stage whisper he murmured "Incompetent fool." and then addressed the students

"As you can very clearly see everything is not always as it looks. Don't believe everything anyone says just because they have a pretty smile."

Lockart had turned bright red in shame at being exposed like this. Snape knew it wouldn't hold up long and he'd be back to his presumptuous self in no time.

"Now, for an equal dueling pair... who would like to help demonstrate?"

After seeing the demonstration with Lockart – as fun as that had been – no one was too eager. Lockart seemed to be regaining his self importance as he randomly picked "Mr. Potter, Mr. Malfoy, if you would join us please?"

Snape shot him an annoyed look, but didn't object. Both boys stood facing each other and mimicked their teachers. Before the count of three was finished Malfoy smirked and threw a hex at Harry he had never heard before.

"Serpensortia!"

A snake appeared that reared its head and hissed at Harry

"Where am I?"

Harry blinked, this had happened before, last year he had talked to a Boa Constrictor in the zoo. He smiled at the little snake and answered soothingly

"Don't worry, you're not in any danger."

The snake slithered forwards slightly and then turned its head as one of the students scrambled backward to get away from her.

"What do they want?", it hissed angrily, scared from at the spectators

"Nothing, they're not here for you. They're here for me.", Harry explained, before the snake could answer Snape snapped out of his stupor and vanished the creature. Harry looked up and seeing the strange look on his professors face turned to look at the others. Everybody was staring at him flabbergasted.

"Mr. Potter.", Snape said quietly "Follow me."

He led the way down the stage and turned back again "Lockart, send the students back to their dorms, clean up and inform the headmaster."

Lockart bristled at the command but Snape had already turned around and stormed off, Harry at his heels.

They entered Snapes office and Harry headed for the seat in front of the desk, clearly expecting to be reprimanded.

"Come.", Snape said and led him into his chambers. Surprised, Harry followed and sat down at his accustomed seat on the coach.

"Professor? What happened?"

Snape looked at him and then answered slowly "You spoke Parseltongue, Snake Language. Has that ever happened before?"

Harry nodded "At the zoo I accidentally set a snake on my cousin"

Snape lowered himself next to Harry on the sofa and said weakly "I'm sure he deserved it."

Harry smiled at that but turned serious again "Is it a bad thing?"

Snape looked at him, looked him in the eyes and saw the innocence in him. Harry truly did not know what this meant and was just confused why everybody seemed so shocked. Snape had a feeling that Harrys relatives had at least been verbally abusing him for the past eleven years. He did not want to tell the child another thing that separated him from his peers, something that people could interpret as 'bad' and 'wrong'. But he couldn't lie to him either, he'd find out eventually.

"Harry, the power to speak to snakes is very rare and has usually been associated with Dark Arts. As you know snake venom and parts are used in potions and mostly effect it in a... dark way." Harry nodded at this "Salazar Slytherin was a parselmouth and as you may know he did take a radical stance towards half bloods and Muggleborns. And another famous parselmouth was... the Dark Lord."

"Voldemort?", Harry asked, looking dismayed. Snape reached out and put a hand on his shoulder.

"People will compare you to both of them. Considering your history, more to the latter. But this power does not make you bad or dark. Every power can be used for good as well as evil. Can you imagine a way to use this power for good?"

Harry blinked up at him, confused by this revelation and tried hard to think of a way he could use his powers for good "I could have a chat with snakes... you know, using them to get information?"

Snape nodded as he was not able to respond to this. Voldemort had used snakes this way.

"Or... oh yes! I could use it for potions, don't you think? You said there are snakes that live in certain areas and eat certain stuff and their venom is used for special potions. But to know if they really ate it you would have to kill them, which is kinda sad. But if I could just ask them and then they wouldn't have to die. Right?"

Snape smiled at him and nodded "Yes, that would be an idea."

Harry smiled back and again felt like there would always be someone to have his back, someone he could trust. He had begun feeling like this for Snape for a while now. He could not remember feeling like this towards any other adults in his life and when Snape stroked his hair he leaned in and closed his eyes. Snape himself felt a strong compulsion to keep stroking the childs hair and shook his head. He removed his hand and cleared his throat.

"You should return to your friends, they will be worried."

Harry stood up and then stood there uncertainly, worrying his lip

"It will be alright, Harry. People will talk, yes. They will make up the most ridiculous and horrible stories. But its just talk, Harry. You, I and your friends know the truth. For that matter, anyone with common sense knows that you are as much a danger as a baby rabbit."

Harry pouted "I'm not that... whatever."

Harry turned to leave when he again felt a hand in his hair and automatically leaned in.

"See? A pet baby rabbit.", Snape teased

Harry huffed

"As you're here already, we could start a lesson.", Snape said an waved him into the laboratory.


The next day Justin Fitch-Fletchley was petrified and as he was the child who had flinched back from the snake, everybody believed he was Harrys victim. Harry went and hid at Snapes for the weekend. Snape let him as he knew that most of the students would leave come Monday. He had Harry sleep on the coach again and kept him with himself for most of the day. In the evening of Saturday Harry had embarrassed himself by leaning into his professor. Snape realized that he needed some reassurance and wrapped his arm around his shoulders. Harry had fallen asleep like that and woken up the next day to the realization that he had behaved like a toddler. But as Snape didn't mention it Harry was too happy to let the incident slide as well.

Harry stayed the rest of the week with his friends and enjoyed an almost empty castle. They used their ample free time to finish up the Polyjuice Potion in time for Christmas. When Harry woke up Christmas morning he found a special little box in his presents. He beamed when he opened it up and found a small snake curled up in there.

"Its beautiful.", he breathed and Ron looked over his shoulder at it. The little snake had a pattern of dark and bright blue, as well as red and turquoise. It was long enough to wrap itself twice around his wrist. Ron took out the letter that was lying by and urged Harry to open it.

"Dear Harry,

a friend of mine who works for the Department For The Regulation And Control of Magical Creatures had this little Garter Snake confiscated and was searching for a new home. He had been experimented on with various potions and spells but my friend assures me, he is not dangerous. His venom was taken and he is not able to produce more. He won't be able to grow as well. He has had a very difficult and painful past, so he needs all the understanding and care he can get.

I am sure you will provide.

I wish you a very Happy Christmas

Professor Severus Snape"

Ron had been reading alongside him and whistled "Do you think it has any powers?"

Harry shook his head "I don't care. The poor guy has had it hard. I can understand that. He needs a home."

Ron looked at Harry uncomfortably and then said "Well, be careful with him. You don't want Hedwig to snack on him or him to snack on Scabbers."

Harry grinned "I'll think of something."

"Oh, Harry! He needs a name!", Ron said and looked at him "He's kind of colorful, how about... Rainbow?"

Harry laughed "What kind of stupid name is that?"

Ron grinned "Or Snakey? Slither-hither-tither... Tongue-Flick..."

Harry laughed again and then prodded the little snake, it gave Harry a lazy look "What's your name?"

The snake blinked "Name?"

"What do I call you?"

"Snake"

"Urgh... I'm Harry."

"No, you're human."

"Yes, but... See I am human, and this friend of mine is human too. But if you want to call me, you say 'Harry' and if you want to call him, you say 'Ron'. That's a name."

"I don't have a name."

"Can I give you one?", Harry asked politely, the snake nodded and Harry thought about it. He had named Hedwig from his History book so he thought of another name like that. Meanwhile Hermione came in and Ron told her about Harrys new pet. Harry didn't see the look of triumph they shared.

"Oh, its beautiful Harry.", she said and smiled at the lazy creature "Do you have a name?"

"Not yet. I'm trying to come up with one and Ron's no help."

"How about Wadjet, she was the Egyptian Goddess of snakes."

"I thinks its a 'he'", Harry said and showed her Snapes letter, where he referred to the snake as male

"Oh... ok, then Ophion, he is the greek equivalent. His name literally means 'serpent'", Hermione suggested

Harry smiled "When I asked him his name, he said 'snake', so I think that's perfect! Thanks Hermione."

Hermione grinned while Harry hissed to the snake, informing him of his new name.

Harry had a lot of fun during Christmas morning with his dearest friends. He made them join him outside after breakfast and sneaked behind the greenhouses. He then urgently hissed to his little pet which led him over to the right spot. He grinned when he found little pearl like eggs hanging from the greenery outside the greenhouse. His friends helped him gather up the little potions ingredient and Harry packed it securely into a handkerchief. When he had just tucked it inside his robe pocket Ron hit him with a snowball. Following this they spent a fun time hitting each other in a snowball fight. Drenched but grinning they entered the castle.

"I'll have to go up to the owlery, I'll meet you in the Great Hall.", Harry said after Hermione had dried them with hot air from her wand. They both nodded and entered the hall. Harry had just gone up a few steps when he heard a voice he knew too well.

"Mr. Potter, come here."

Harry turned around with a big smile and hopped down the stairs.

"Hey, professor! Thanks a lot for the present. He's brilliant!"

Snape gave him a small smile and then put his finger to his lips. Harry nodded smiling. It wouldn't go down well if others learned he had gotten a present from a teacher. And it wasn't exactly the first time either...

"I have something for you as well. I was just going to send it actually.", he whispered

"I'll save you the trip." Snape said and led him to his office

"I was going to wrap it..." Harry said and then extended the handkerchief

"Ridiculous tradition, wrapping is only intended for the bin anyway", Snape murmured taking the present and opening it. The little balls clinked when they hit each other and looked a lot like real pearls. They were still cold and the handkerchief hadn't soaked up all the melted snow yet. Snape stared at the ingredient.

"Ophion helped me find them."

"You went outside into the cold, knelt in the snow, got scratched by needles - to get me a present?"

Harry blinked and looked up innocently "You said it was always such a bother to get Fee eggs as they have to be harnessed by hand and are only available around Christmas..."

Snape looked up from the pretty shining eggs and laid them carefully onto his desk. He took Harry by his upper arms and hoisted him up on his feet.

"What?" Harry asked bewildered as Snape pressed him to his chest. He held they boy close for a moment, then let go. Embarrassed by his emotional outburst he then cleared his throat and said.

"Thank you, Harry, it means a lot..."

"Its nothing", Harry said, shuffling his feat but looking very pleased all the same.

"You named your snake Ophion?"

Harry nodded and rolled up his sleeve to show him the sleeping pet "It was Hermiones idea."

"A fitting name", Snape said and stroked he little snakes head "Please refrain from walking around with him during term. In the holidays you're obviously allowed to."

"Yes, sir." harry agreed readily, stroking Ophions head and back "He's so beautiful and calm, I can't understand how anyone would want to hurt him."

"I don't either", Snape said, in a very quiet and soft voice that made Harry look up. He realized that Snape wasn't looking at the snake but at him. "I cannot and will never understand how anyone would want to hurt something so precious and innocent."

He reached out and stroked Harry's cheek with his thumb. Suddenly Harry felt tears welling up and looked down. His heart was pounding. Snape let go of him.

"Time for Christmas dinner I believe."


Harry had never felt so bad in his life. He couldn't even pinpoint what it was exactly. But putting Crabbes hair into the Polyjuice seemed like an unbelievable betrayal somehow. He glanced at his friends who readily dropped their hairs in and then hid in the stalls for the transformation. He shakily followed suit and resumed Crabbes form. Their little adventure with Malfoy and the Slytherins went relatively well and in the end they got Hermione into the hospital wing to be returned to normal.

Harry didn't expect to get an owl from Professor Snape in the early morning. The little tawny actually pecked him until he woke up.

"Ow! Stop, stop it! I'm taking the bloody letter, now stop!", he untied the letter and shot the owl an irritable look

"Come to my quarters at once! SS"

That didn't sound good... Harry gulped, looked at the tawny and said "I'd better go..." The little bird merely cleaned its feathers.

Harry dressed quickly and told a sleepy Ron that he'd be back soon. He then anxiously went down to the dungeons, which were still very cold this early in the morning. Shivering he knocked at the Professors living quarters, they opened themselves and Harry let himself in.

"Professor?", he asked carefully into the room and then heard his voice from the laboratory

"Come here!"

He sounded angry. Oh no, he sounded very angry! Harry gulped nervously and approached the door. He peered in and still didn't see him "Sir?"

"In the ingredients cupboard."

Harry went there and looked in, finally seeing Snape with his back to him.

"Erm... what did you need me for?"

"Confirmation.", Snape said and his voice sounded so filled up with pent up rage that Harry felt like he had slapped him "Tell me, did we brew any potion together that used boomslang skin?"

Harry paled and begun to understand what was going on "No sir."

"I thought not. Tell me then, how is it when only you and I have access to this cupboard, that this very ingredient is missing?"

"Uh..."

"I didn't brew anything with it.", Snape finally turned around and fixed him with a burning glare "Did you?"

Harry gulped and then, not trusting his voice, nodded. Snape pressed his lips to a very thin line and gestured for Harry to leave the cupboard. He led his student back to his living room and pointed at his place on the couch. He crossed his arms and glared down at him.

"What a coincidence that this morning Madam Pomfrey called me in for a consultancy. One of your classmates – a certain Miss Granger – was admitted with a serious case of cat face" Harry would have laughed at this if he didn't fear loosing his head for it "and she believed it was caused by Polyjuice Potion mixed with cat hair. Would you know anything about that?"

Harry pressed his own lips together but didn't answer. He didn't have to.

"I trusted you! I trusted you with poisonous, dangerous, volatile ingredients. And you betrayed that trust by stealing from me!" Harry flinched when Snape said that. He hadn't raised his voice, but it cut deep into his heart anyway "And you used the knowledge I taught you to put your friends and yourself in danger for a stupid prank, I presume."

Harry shook his head but Snape didn't let him speak "How dare you? How dare you betray me like that?"

Harrys shoulders drooped and he looked at his feet miserably. Snape stared at him for a while and then said "Leave. I am too angry to deal with you right now!"

Harry looked up dismayed and saw that it was true. The professors hands were literally twitching. Harry stood up shakily and looked at his professor one last time. His sending him away felt exactly like 'Go to your cupboard'. Him being so angry and disappointed felt even worse. He left feeling like a world of troubles had just been dumped on him and it was his own fault.



The day was thoroughly ruined by their argument. Harry felt like crying, but of course he wouldn't. Ron was worried about him but he was no Hermione – he couldn't sound Harry out and give the right advice. Around dinner time, after Harry had tried to distract himself with several different things and failed, he decided what he needed to do. He stuffed his invisibility cloak under his shirt and went to dinner. Snape wasn't there and that made Harry nervous. Outside of the hall Harry informed Ron of his plan and slipped on the cloak. Ron looked uncertain, he even stretched his hand out to stop Harry, but then only listened to his friends steps fade away in the direction of the dungeons.

Harry stood in front of his professor's doors, he had been knocking for a while now. There was no reaction. For some reason Harrys throat constricted and he felt his eyes prickle. Didn't Snape even want to see him? Didn't he even want to give him a chance to say he was sorry? He gulped several times. Had he lost Snape? Should he have told him about the Dursleys and had he now lost his chance forever? He was so stupid, he had had several chances at happiness and now he'd thrown it away! He ached for Snapes forgiveness, he wanted to feel his cool long fingers in his hair and see that seldom smile he had never known his professor had.

"Harry is upset?", his snake asked and slithered around on his wrist restlessly

"Yes...", Harry answered "My father is not answering my call."

Harry started. Father? He had wanted to say 'teacher', but it had translated to 'father' in parseltongue. It seemed there was no word for teacher and father was the closest to it.

"Maybe he went out to hunt?", the snake suggested, Harry smiled sadly at the attempt to lighten his mood.

"Harry?", Harry froze and then checked if he was completely covered by the cloak. He silently turned around and faced the headmaster "Please take off the cloak. I only know one person in these halls to have idle chit chat with a snake."

The headmaster was smiling but his smile faded away as Harry took off the cloak and looked up at him. His emotions seemed written on his face as Dumbledore took a few steps forward and then mildly asked "Harry, what's wrong?"

And suddenly all his emotions burst forth "I'm sorry, ok? I'm sorry! I stole the stupid ingredients and sneaked them out and I had the stupid idea to brew Polyjuice... And its all my fault and now Snape hates me again and I thought we were good. You know, he was so nice to me, he really taught me a lot and he was kind and... no one ever is like that... and now he's angry and he's never going to talk to me again and he'll stop tutoring me and he'll be mean again in class... And I... I don't want to... loose him."

His eyes were already pooling with tears and irritated he rubbed at them.

"Harry.", Dumbledore said in sad understanding "Oh dear boy. It is not the way you think... But maybe it will be better to show you. Follow me up to my office" when Harry looked reluctant he added "I'll give you a chance to talk to Severus... that is, Professor Snape to you."

Hope glimmered in Harrys eyes and he nodded following the headmaster with a wildly thumping heart. He didn't listen to the password, didn't look at the gargoyles jumping out of the way or realized that the staircase was moving him up without his own doing. They entered the spectacular round office and the headmaster headed for the grate. Without further ado he threw in a hand full of floo powder and called "Spinners End!"

When green flames roared into life the headmaster got to his knees and stuck his head in. Harry heard his muffled voice and then it was drowned out by an old man screaming in fright and another voice trying to soothe him. Harry thought maybe Dumbledore had connected to the wrong floo when the headmaster stuck his head out again and waved him to his side.

"Well go on, he's waiting for you."

Harry stared up at the headmaster with an open mouth and pounding heart, then he heard Snapes voice drift in from the other side.

"Your grandson father, I'll introduce you to your grandchild. Now calm yourself."

The voice seemed to have summoned him, bound him to itself, for his legs moved without his will and transported him through the green flames into a dingy old living room.


Harry would have fallen on the rug if strong fingers hadn't clamped around his upper arm and held him up. He was momentarily at his teachers side and he urgently hissed into his ears "Play along!"

After that he gave him a little shove towards an old man in an overstuffed armchair.

"Here, see father? That is your grandson, Harry."

"Harry.", the old man said with a feeling of growing pride and invited him with wildly gesturing hands to come closer "Let me have a look. Oh, look at the handsome lad, what a pretty face he has! And the eyes, lovely as his mothers. Lily was such a beautiful, vivacious girl, hmm Severus?"

"Indeed, father."

"And that is your son. Harry... Harold. What a strong name." The old man had both Harrys upper arms in his wrinkled old hands and was studying his features with narrowed eyes "A handsome lad, handsome indeed. Just like his father."

Harry glanced at Snape who raised an eyebrow and casually threw in "My father has lost almost all sight."

Harry felt the mad urge to grin at this statement. Like his father indeed...

"He has my eyebrows, don't you think Severus?", the old man asked and gently brushed Harrys eyebrows with the tips of his fingers "And your mothers lips, definitely. Do you see that curve? That's Eileen right there."

"Yes father.", Snape said, with the air of someone used to agreeing to everything as long as it kept the peace.

"Well let me hear your voice, lad. More like your mother or your father?"

"Yes sir.", Harry said timidly

"Ah!", there was evident disappointment in the old mans voice "He didn't get the Snape tones, what a shame! But maybe when he grows up, hmm Severus?"

"One can hope.", Snape said, sitting down at the coach like nothing was happening. Harry realized that both men did have a similar voice...

"And tell me now, lad. How is your school? You work hard, do you now?"

"I do.", Harry said nervously "I try."

"Good, good. And how are you in... what is it you teach, Severus my boy?"

"Potions, father."

"Yes, yes exactly! How are you in Potions, dear boy?"

Harry grinned and was happy that this conversation did not occur a year earlier "I am very good sir. Even..." Harry glanced at his teacher and then continued "...Severus says so."

The old mans brow furrowed "Now, now. Don't be so modern! Address your father properly."

"Erm... sorry, I meant Professor Snape."

The old man laughed loudly and even Snape snorted "Father, silly boy, I meant call him father! Or Dad, or Papa or whatever you say."

"Oh, of course.", Harry said blushing furiously

"Well? Let my old ears hear you say it. I thought I'd never see the day... My one and only child giving me a grandson!"

Harry blinked and shot Snape a nervous glance, his teacher merely inclined his head and gave him a meaningful look.

"Er... Papa.", he decided. He only had one Dad, it felt like a betrayal to call someone else that. And 'father' was so sterile, he could only imagine Malfoy using that word. Or Snape.

"'Papa', is it? A bit french...", the old man said with dislike but then turned jovial again "Well, as long as he keeps saying it with that much feel..."

Harry felt his ears going red.

"So, what would my dear young one like to do? Do you want to play a board game with me? Or shall I read to you?"

"Er... I'm a bit old to be read to..."

"How old are you, dear boy?"

"Twelve, sir."

"Twelve! Now Severus that is rather heartless of you."

"Forgive me father, it was for his own protection.", Snape lied smoothly

"I can understand that... you could still have told me... Shown me a picture."

"I didn't have one, father or I would have."

"Oh well, what's done...", he murmured "Too old to be read to... Certainly with twelve you could read me a story... eyes are not what they were. Would you read me the paper, dear one?"

"Yes sir.", Harry immediately said and followed the indicating finger into the kitchen to retrieve a newspaper. He heard the man say

"What a polite lad. A good child, very good."

"He is, father."

Harry came back and at the mans wish settled onto the arm of his chair. Harry read to the old man and sometimes during he slid an arm around the boy and leaned his head against his shoulder. Harry didn't mind, he hadn't had any grandparents and always wished for relatives who'd want to cuddle with him.

"Now, father, it is high time to go to bed.", Snape finally said "And Harry needs to sleep as well."

"Oh of course.", the man said and freed the boy from his grasp

"Put the paper back at its place, Harry."

"Yes... Papa.", Harry said and hid in the kitchen for the time it took Snape to bring his father to the second storey.


Snape had settled Tobias in his bed when he suddenly grabbed his sons hand and held it close

"Harold, he is a precious child, is he not, Severus?"

"Yes, father, he is precious.", Snape agreed readily

"Yes, what a wonderful little boy.", his father patted his hand and looked into space for a while. When Snape wanted to retrieve his hand, he grasped it firmly and locked eyes with him

"Severus. Never be afraid of him, do you hear? Fear destroys everything... Never be afraid of your child.", Tobias was looking desperate and Snape sat down on the bed beside him. Sometimes there were moments when he seemed his old self again... And then again... "And Severus, my child, protect and love him, do you hear me?"

"Yes father.", he whispered, his throat constricting with emotion

"Never stop loving him, Severus, never let go. Its the worst thing one can do... giving up... letting go... Never do that, promise me."

"I promise, father.", he whispered again. He could say so many bitter words, but it was no good.

"Be a good father to the lad...", his father implored lazily, his eyes drooping shut, his firm grip slackening. With a last effort and to Severus great surprise he lifted his sons hand and gently kissed his fingers "Be better..."

And he was asleep. Severus gently disengaged his fingers and looked down at the old man. He shook his head and left the bedroom.


"Harry?"

"Yes sir?", Harry jumped up from the kitchen table and came back into the living room

"You will have to sleep on the couch. My father has the master bedroom while he's here and I'm in my own room."

Harry nodded and they both sat down on the couch, Harry looked questioningly at Severus. He rubbed his face

"My father lives most of his days at a assisted living quarters. During the holidays I always have him with me as I promised my mother to not abandon him after her death. It was her last wish. He has a severe case of Alzheimer. By tomorrow morning he will have forgotten all about you, I bet."

He sounded tired and at the end of his energy "Some days he forgets where he is, others he doesn't remember me... It is all very frightening for him... But he responded very nicely to you."

Harry smiled shyly

"And now we are at the heart of the matter: May I ask to what I own the pleasure of your visit, my wayward son?", Snape teased him lightly. Harry blushed again.

"Urg... I came to your rooms and knocked... There was no answer and I thought you were ignoring me... I thought you were so angry you didn't want to see me... ever again.", Harrys voice had dropped to a whisper at the end.

"You thought because you made a mistake that I'd abandon you?", Snape asked, his fathers words forcing themselves onto him "Never, Harry, I'm never going to give up, I'm not abandoning you, whatever happens."

Harry gave him a shaky smile

"Nonetheless, what you did was stupid and dangerous. And you did betray my trust.", Snape continued seriously "Do you realize what could have happened? I have never left you alone one minute while brewing, so I can make sure nothing happens. It is not because I don't trust your ability, its because accidents may happen. Your friends wouldn't know how to react in that case. And anyone could have stumbled upon your cauldron while you where in classes or somewhere else. What if they hurt themselves? And what if you had gone wrong at any part of the process and poisoned yourself and your friends?"

Harry paled at that and looked shocked. He could have hurt or killed them all! "Oh god..."

"Yes. That is why I was so angry with you. I had expected more from you. From now on I will not leave you alone with any ingredients in case you try a stunt like that again." Harry blushed in shame at that "And you will serve detention with Filch for four weeks."

Harry had the automatic reaction to fight against this punishment but thought better of it. He deserved it. He nodded hopelessly. Snape looked at him for a while and then said "But it doesn't mean something's changed between us, do you understand that?" Harry gave him a look that clearly said he didn't believe him "You will serve your punishment and all will be forgiven then. I think you understand what you did wrong."

Harry nodded but still looked sad. Snape reached out and ruffled his hair

"Now, stop looking so miserable. You may stay here with my father and me as long as you wish."

Harry gave a small smile at that.

But if they had thought this resolved the matter, they had been wrong.


Snape started awake at the middle of the night. The wards he had put in place to alarm him of any disturbance with his fathers health had woken him. He hastily grabbed his dressing gown and put it on, while walking to his fathers room. But when he walked in, his father was sleeping peacefully. He used a few diagnostic spells that didn't show anything alarming. But the bells in his mind where still ringing. The only other person in his home... He hastily made his way down to his living room to find Harry thrashing on his couch and giving small cries of pain. He was at his side in a moment and tried to shake him awake.

"No!", Harry gasped as soon as Snape touched him "Don't... please don't..."

"Harry, its me, Professor Snape. Wake up!", he shook his shoulder again and Harrys eyes flew open. He stared at Snape with wide green eyes, tears already flowing freely

"Don't leave me!", he whimpered, still trapped in his nightmare "Please, don't leave."

Snape gathered the child up at his chest and rocked him "Shh, Harry. No one is leaving. I'm here."

"They all leave, they always leave.", the child mumbled against him

"Who?"

"My parents... they always leave me and this time... you were there too and... he killed you too... you left."

Snape felt his heart beat frantically at this pronouncement. And all he could do was croak "Shh"

Harry finally relaxed but kept his fingers buried in his gown. He kept mumbling "Don't leave."

"I'm not leaving, I promise Harry.", he whispered and soon Harry fell asleep again. Even asleep he didn't let go of Snape and Snape feared the nightmare would come back in full force if he left the child. He took Harry securely in his arms and laid them both down on the couch.

He stayed awake a long time, stroking the childs hair and back, thinking about what Harry had said. Everybody left him. He had been dreaming about his parents death and this time the nightmare had included him. He thought about their discussion of Harrys little stunt and realized the boy had not believed him. He still thought the slightest mistake would make him abandon the child. He wanted to be perfect to make sure Snape would have no excuse to leave him behind. He knew those thoughts well and this led him to thinking about his fathers words. Snape knew that his father was merely living through his regrets regarding his only child. But his words still stayed with him. He would not give up.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews, don't forget to follow the story so you get automated mails whenever I post a new chapter. I'd appreciate a comment!

How did you like Tobias? I've only ever read him as a mean guy. But Snapes memorys lie so far in the past that I think its entirely possible he changed. Especially with an illness like Alzheimer and a son who - even if grudgingly - takes care of him as much as he can. Seems legit?

Next time:

Chapter 6 – As green as a fresh pickled toad

Tobias shows up both Snape and Harry. Someone shows interest in Harry in a romantic way...

Now I got your attention didn't I? ;)

Sneak preview:

"So you're not interested?", Snape asked carefully, Harry made a face

"What are you talking about?", he demanded, sounding sincerely affronted "Of course I'm not interested..."