Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviewers, I enjoyed reading them, and for my beta when she has finished her work: Freedom isn’t Free.
A New School Year

Harry woke up slowly the next morning. He enjoyed lying in the soft warm bed, and decided to have a bit of lie in. He snuggled deeper under the blankets, feeling rather happy for once. He was still processing all his memories, that he had gained back. Yesterday he had pushed the memories back into his mind, only wanting to focus on helping the werewolves, but now that he was lying in bed, he took a moment to look at all his memories.

There were some very bad ones, and he stopped thinking about them rather quickly. He decided to concentrate on his very first memories. He now had a slightly better image of his parents. His mother was quite the caring woman, and his dad loved to play with him. Together they had been very happy, and Harry basked in the feelings he got from watching those memories. Unfortunately he also remembered their deaths quite clearly, even more clearly than when Dementors are near.

Just when he started shivering in fright because of these memories, his door opened and Severus came walking in. He rushed over to the bed when he noticed Harry being upset, and knelt down the bed.

“What is it Harry? What is making you shiver?”

Harry hesitantly reached out with his arms toward Severus, a clear sign of wanting comfort.

Severus reached out and pulled Harry half on his lap. Harry’s arms circled aroung Severus’ waist and he just sighed and snuggled in further.

Severus was at a loss for a bit, but then hugged Harry more confidently than he had just done. “Perhaps you can clue me in Harry?” he asked gently.

Harry sniffed a bit and nodded. He pulled back slightly, and looked up at Severus. His eyes were slightly puffy.

“I was just looking at some memories. I started with those from my parents, and I really liked those, but then the memories of how they died came forward, and it was so scary, and I didn’t want to see those memories....” he trailed off.

Severus pulled him closer again, thinking carefully about what to say now.

“I wish I could tell you to just forget about those memories, to put them away, but that would be the worst way to deal with it. Unfortunately bad memories are part of life, and even though you have a higher amount of bad memories than most other people, I don’t want you to forget about these times.

You wouldn’t be you, if you didn’t have all your memories. Remus, Minerva, Albus and me will help you deal with everything, and I’m sure your friends will as well. After all they are coming back again today.”

Harry nodded against his chest. He seemed to have collected himself some more.

“I know Severus. However, I still feel a bit weird. I now have my memories back, but I also feel different, as if a weight has lifted from my shoulders. I just can’t think of what?”

Severus kept silent, also in puzzlement, but a voice from the door made them both look up. “I believe I know.”

Remus stood in the doorway, smiling slightly at the sight of the very feared Potions Master sitting on a bed, with Harry snuggled up to him.

Severus raised his eyebrow, and Harry frowned. “Care to share the knowledge” they said at the same time. Then they looked at each other in surprise.

Remus chuckled. “Oh dear, if your dad and Sirius could have seen this, they would have heart attacks!”

Both other men chuckled as well. Remus walked forward untill he sat next to Severus.

“I believe Harry, that because you had lost your memorie and were completely child like and innocent for slightly more than a month, this is still working now that your memories are returned. You probably had to keep everything a secret and kept many things to yourself before the accident, right?”

Harry nodded.

“And now you already have me and Severus to help you, and know most of your previous secrets. Also, Albus and Minerva know about it, and we have agreed to help you out. Perhaps it will be possible for you to take your NEWT’s early this year, and you could stay as an Apprentice, so you can learn much more on your own level. Also, we will help you with your memories, and with anything Voldemort related. How does that sound, hm?”

Harry looked up at both Remus and Severus. He nodded, and opened his arms, a clear sign to Remus that he wanted him included in the hug.

So Remus did join them. After a minute, and no sign of Harry releasing them, Severus piped up: “Well now, all this sentimental stuff is really touching, but I’m hungry, Harry you need a bath and to go to the toilet, and Remus here has to cook. So I suggest we get to it! Ugh, you Gryffindors.”

But both Remus and Harry could hear the amusement in his voice, and although Harry released the others, they smirked at Severus. “We love you too, Severus.” They chorised.

Severus just looked at them as if they were crazy and lifted Harry out of the bed to help him get cleaned.

“Idiots” he mumbled, but Harry saw the smile.

Later that day found them once more in the Room, giving the potion to the werewolves. Or at least, Remus was giving the potion, Severus and Harry were preparing for the next batch. Several of the already cured werewolves, were gathering ingredients outside, and kept delivering them. Also, one of the werewolves used to be a blacksmith, and knew how to make the special cauldron that was necessary for the potion to be made in. So the man was working on making two more cauldrons, so more potions could be made.

Severus and Harry needed to make two full cauldrons before the werewolf community was cured. And they hadn’t even started at all the other werewolves. They did know that the Office for Animagus Registration would be bussy for the next few weeks, and there would be a huge increase in wolf animagus. The Department of Werewolf Control would probably be decreased in size, once the news became widely known.

Severus had already sent a letter to his old Potions Master, and asked if she would come over to learn how to make the potion, and to get herself one of the special cauldrons. She lived in France, and would provide the werewolves over there with the potion. Tomorrow she would arrive at Hogwarts, and next week more Potion Masters would come over, as the blacksmith hoped he would have more cauldrons ready by then.

They were so bussy that they forgot the time, and what day it was, untill Albus came walking in the room.

“My boys, I don’t want to disturb you to much, but really, in an hour the train will arrive with all the students. Perhaps it’s a good idea to call it quits for today?”

Severus and Harry looked at the clock in surprise. They had cured another 120 werewolves today, and just a little more would be helped tomorrow. They hadn’t even noticed the time fly by.

“I suggest you clean yourselves up, and let the potion simmer for the night. Prepare yourselves for the Welcoming Feast. I expect to see you there at the Head Table in 50 minutes.”

They nodded, and Remus stood up from cleaning the cauldron. When Severus and Harry had cleaned up the worktable, they left the room, and Harry set up the wards again. Remus pushed the wheelchair towards their chambers, as it was his time to help clean Harry up. Severus quickly dissapeared inside his own bathroom, wanting to get rid of the potion fumes hanging around him. They always destroyed his appatite slightly.

Half an hour later, Severus was dressed and ready. He and Remus had decided that shocking the student population would be a good way to start the year. They would sit together at the table, and Harry would sit next to whomever would need to help him. Harry had said he didn’t mind the other students being able to see that he needed help eating. Severus had foregone his normal black robes, and had dressed in dark green ones, which opened at the top, to show of the tight button-down black shirt he wore under it. His hair was shiny and soft, and pulled into a low ponytail.

When Remus and Harry left the room, they had a hard time to keep their mouths from dropping open, though Severus had to do the same to himself.

Apparantly Harry had pursuaded Remus to spend some money on clothes, as the man wore a dark blue robe, which was very new, and showed that underneath he wore a light blue shirt, as well as black jeans.

Harry was wearing his schoolrobe, but opened so his green shirt showed, as well as the snake that was printed on it.

Severus smirked, that would show the students at Hogwarts things had changed. He knew his spying carreer would be over as soon as the Feast finished. Albus and him had discussed it in length, and as Albus had already begun to believe Voldemort would soon find out, they had decided to end the charade tonight. He had reassured Harry that he would take a painkilling potion, to stop the pain from the Dark Mark from becoming to much. He also had to assure Harry that it wasn’t his fault that he had to stop spying. Sure, if he hadn’t been one of the two people who were now the primary care takers of Harry, he probably would have stayed a spy for a bit longer, but he was glad it would be over soon. Now he could begin to be himself in class as well, and not just for Remus and Harry only.

While he was thinking this over, he had automatically walked with the others towards the Great Hall. He wondered about the reactions from his students. He smirked at the thought of teaching his Slytherins a thing or two about Honor, and being cunning.

A slight tugging at his hand, made him look down at Harry. “Yes Harry?”

Harry smiled slightly up at him. “Thought everything over again? We’re here you know. Ready to shock the whole school?”

Smiling Severus nodded, and opened the doors for Harry and Remus. They walked up to the Head Table were the other teachers were already seated. Only Minerva was absent. The only others in the hall were the ex-werewolves, and those of the village who still needed to be cured tomorrow. Harry waved to some of the children. Some of them would start Hogwarts next year, and they enjoyed the change to explore the castle already.

Remus rolled Harry up to the dais, and Severus lifted him up, to put him on the chair behind the Table. Then he sat on the left of Harry, while Remus sat on the other side of Severus. It was Severus’ turn to help Harry eat.

The other teachers had been told about the situation, but most couldn’t stop themselves from gaping slightly at Severus. Harry and Remus shared a look and sniggered slightly, until Severus slapped them lightly against their head. “shush you two. The students will come in soon.”

He had hardly finished speaking, when the doors of the Great Hall opened and all the students started pouring in. At first they were so bussy speaking that they hadn’t even noticed the fifth table with their new people on it, nor the strange addition to the Head Table. However this didn’t last long as the first people stopped speaking, and stood still looking in surprise at all the people sitting at the extra table.

Soon most students were whispering to each other, while they hurriedly sat at their own tables.

So when Minerva came in with the first year students and the Sorting Hat, it grew quiet very quickly.

The new students were very nervous, and Harry smiled at them whenever they looked his way.

The sorting started with the famous song, which somehow ended up being about Unity, Friendship and Hardships overwon. Harry suspected, the Hat had worked on it ever since he had come to Hogwarts this summer.

Then the students were sorted. As there were only 20 new students (which surprised Harry a bit), starting with DeMort, Angela and ending with Zilane, Max, the Headmaster could make his speech earlier to appease the curiousity of the students.

“Welcome all old and new students. As you might have noticed our Hall is slightly more filled than in previous times. This is because of a tremendous breakthrough done in potions, by one of our very own. (most heads in the hall riveted towards the Potions Master, and then seemed to notice Harry beside him). This young man has made the cure for lycantrophy, and the people that visit our castle, and join us in our meal, are mostly cured. There’s a few people who will get the potion tomorrow, but then the entire community will be cured of lycantrophy. So in light of this fantastic news, I wish you to make a toast to the creator of the cure, Mr Harry Potter.”

Most people were to stunned to do much more than raise their glasses automaticall, but the ex-werewolves, were happy enough to compensate for the Hogwarts students.

“Also, I would like you to welcome back Professor Lupin as your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Now as for the rest of the messages: the Forbidden Forest is still and will remain Forbidden, no magic in the corridors, and Mr Filch has a very impressive list of forbidden items which could land you in detention. If you wish to know what is on it, I suggest you visit his office to look it up. With that said, I believe I hear some stomachs rumbling, so: Enjoy.”

With that he sat down, and when the applause died down, everyone was eager to start eating.

And so started a new schoolyear at Hogwarts.