Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3

At some point Snape snapped out of his stupor and realized that he had ignored the child for quite some time. Horrified by his own vulnerability and stupidity he opened the door to Harry's room with a madly beating heart. Harry was there, lying haphazardly on top of his sheets, fast asleep. Snape gave a sigh of relieve. He hadn't left, done something stupid, put himself in danger or run away. His heart still racing from his moment of worry, he quietly came up to the boy. Severus carefully took away his glasses, took off his shoes and slowly extracted the sheets from underneath him. Snape stopped now and again, when Harry rolled over, or even just crinkled his nose, like every new parent does, who is unsure about what could wake their child. But Harry was exhausted from flying all day, concentrating on the potion and fighting with his guardian. He slept like the dead.

Finally having put Harry to bed properly, Snape sat down at his side. Harry had rolled onto his stomach, the way he liked to sleep. Snape had realized it after living with the child for a few weeks and stopped trying to roll him onto his back. He couldn't imagine, sleeping like this could be comfortable but Harry clearly disagreed. Without hesitating he laid a hand on Harrys shoulder. With Harry deeply asleep he could allow himself to show a bit of affection, especially after feeling so estranged from Harry during the fight. It still felt like the boy would reject him come tomorrow and the fear of that sat coldly in his stomach. He wanted to touch him, if it was the last night he would sleep here. Snape furrowed his brow in worry. He did not want to loose the child, but it felt like he was slipping away fast. At that moment Harry murmured contently in his sleep

"Papa."

And just like that his worries seemed ungrounded. He stared at the child. He had recognized him, even in his sleep. Harry was his child, whatever anybody said. It wasn't a charm, it wasn't duty or a promise. He cared for this child and sitting in the darkness of this room, he could openly admit it to himself: He loved Harry as fiercely and warmly as he would have if he had been his own blood. He wanted to kiss Harry's marked forehead but shook his head and left the room.

Breakfast was going to be weird. That was the first thought that entered Harry's mind when he woke up. He had never had a fight like this with Severus before. He blushed when he thought back to what he had screamed at the top of his lungs. Oh god. He rubbed at his eyes and then decided that he shouldn't drag out the confrontation. He quietly made his way to the bathroom and then came up to the dining table in Snape's kitchen.

Snape was already nursing a cup of coffee, glaring at the newspaper - "Sirius Back seen in Hogsmeade" it read.

"Er... Hi.", Harry said uncertainly, Snape looked up and then said

"Good morning, sit down and have breakfast."

'That's all?' Harry thought confused and hesitantly sat down. He quickly ate and kept glancing at Snape. Finally Snape looked up at him and said with a heavy voice "I am not going to explode at you, so will you please relax?"

Harry blinked and then shrugged. Snape let got of his cup and leaned back in his chair, regarding Harry. He came to a decision

"I want to tell you about my childhood.", he began, pausing a moment "My parents married because they were deeply in love. My mother had turned away from her magical family after a row and decided to live as a muggle. She didn't tell my father what she was until she got pregnant. Her own magic she could hide, but mine would finally tip him off. While pregnant, she told him she was a witch. My father had grown up in a strict catholic household. Even if he wasn't religious, he believed in god and the scripture. He was horrified and blamed her for tricking him into it. Even before my birth they were estranged.

In those times, especially in the magical society and the catholic background of my father, divorce was a seldom broken taboo. They stayed together because of that and me. I grew up alongside their growing resentment for each other. They both had affairs, which didn't lead to anything because they were not ready to divorce and take my parents from me. I actually wish they had.

Tobias was violent. He hit my mother and me. He screamed every day. That was how I grew up."

Snape finally looked up at Harry, who was listening intently and slightly disbelieving "That is why I don't raise my voice in class or my hand to you. That is why I don't drink, because it would make everything worse with him. When my mother died I left the house, as you know. My father fell ill after that. When I returned home, his condition had worsened. I still remember the day.

I came back and he didn't recognize me, demanded who I was and what I wanted. I thought he was being deliberately hurtful and screamed at him. He realized who I was and started crying. I had never seen him cry before and was shocked. I understood what was happening to him before he did and did everything to help him out. But caring for him, day in and day out, was more than I could do. I felt bad for it but brought him to the assisted living quarters. I visited often those first few months, because of my bad conscience.

I realized that he had changed. His personality had changed. I don't know if it was the illness, my mothers death or me leaving. Maybe it was all of it. But he had changed and then I vowed to myself that... I would not become him. I would not scream, I would not hit women or children and I would not drink excessively. And more than anything, it would not take death, abandonment and illness for me to change myself."

Harry looked down at his lap, while Snape continued

"I was hit and verbally abused, I know how it feels and I know how hard it is to overcome. I said yesterday it isn't unheard of for those children to develop an addiction. I refrained from alcohol but..."

Harry looked up at that and asked "You were addicted?"

"Yes. Euphoria Elixir and when that became too expensive, Alihotsy leaves.", Snape admitted with a sigh and rubbed his face "Of course at that point, being a Death Eater unable to quit, I had more than just my childhood I wanted to run away from. I told you I was ready to end my life – it was when I realized how out of control it was."

Harry sat stunned from all of this and slightly ashamed of his reaction yesterday.

"Sir... I am so sorry, I was so rude..."

Snape held up a hand and said "Forget about it, really Harry. I just want you to understand."

Harry nodded, feeling thoroughly miserable

"So you won't leave?"

Harry looked up, surprised at this question and for the first time looked at Snape. Really looked at him. He had bags under his eyes and looked exhausted, as if he hadn't found sleep that night.

"I... no, of course not.", Harry said and felt dreadful at Snape's sigh of relieve. He felt horrible for having caused Severus so much worry, when he had given him so much. He didn't know how to make up for his atrocious behaviour and blurted out the first thing that came to mind "Can I... can I hug you?"

Snape looked up surprised at that and stood up to pull Harry on his feet and wrap his arms around him. This felt so good, it felt like forgiveness. Harry closed his eyes and tightened his grip. He had thought that maybe it wasn't so important to hug someone. He didn't remember more than a hand full of people who he had ever hugged. Snape had been rather affectionate during the time he was under the charm. But just as it fell of, he had become unsure and distant. He still cared about Harry – Harry remembered with a warm feeling that he had actually said, he still loved him – but he just wasn't the demonstrative type. Still, a hug like this was like finalizing that they were okay now. He blushed a bit when he remembered what Pomfrey had said about snuggling and let go, embarrassed.

But Snape held his arm and cupped his cheek with the other hand "Harry, you don't have to ask if you want to... hug me."

He let go and stepped away awkwardly. Harry rubbed his neck shyly, looking anywhere but at Snape. So many revelations from Severus today and then he gave him permission to hug him whenever he wanted. Even though Harry would probably not do it often, he was thirteen after all... It still felt good to be allowed to, without feeling unsure about it.

And Snape had been addicted because he was abused as well. It felt like they had come closer just for knowing this about each other. But something else nagged at Harry now.

"I kinda don't wanna write Tobias anymore...", Harry mumbled and Snape looked up from his newspaper

"Harry... You don't have to..."

"No, no I know I don't...", Harry interrupted "But if he was so mean to you... It reminds me of Uncle Vernon and... I wouldn't want you to have friendly contact with him."

Snape contemplated that for a moment "Yes, but there is a difference. Tobias regretted his actions, he changed and he still tries hard to make up for it. Vernon never did and probably never will."

Harry gulped at that "But still... Tobias..."

"Say 'grandfather'.", Snape said quietly and Harry looked surprised

"You say 'Tobias'"

"Yes, I do. He hit me. I haven't completely forgiven him for it. But he was never anything but kind to you. It is unfair for you to be punishing him as well."

"Can I stop calling Vernon 'uncle' then?", Harry asked as quietly and Snape sighed

"Yes. Actually I would prefer you call him and your aunt by their given names. They don't deserve to be called the same as for example Lupin, who actually cares for you."

Harry nodded and then said "If I say 'grandfather' to Tobias, will you call him 'father' as well?"

Snape pressed his lips together

"You say 'father' to his face.", Harry added

"Yes, because I don't want to hurt his feelings unnecessarily.", Snape explained and then relented "You are right, of course. I'll call him 'father'. But please don't stop writing to him. He enjoys your correspondence immensely."

Harry nodded and sat down heavily. Snape looked at him for a while and said

"It was a long time ago and time does heal, even though it is hard to believe in the beginning.", he said warmly to Harry, leaning forwards "And we had good times as well, it wasn't all bad. He doesn't deserve to be reminded of his past failures during his last days."

"Last days? Is he dying?" Harry asked, his eyes widened

"Harry, he has a serious illness, you know that.", Snape reminded him "Alzheimer is fatal."

Harry looked at him with such a forlorn expression that he was forcibly reminded of his first discussion with the doctor about his father's illness. He had felt exactly like that, as if he had been rammed in the stomach by a sledge hammer. It felt surreal.

"I know it's hard to take."

"But he looked so well.", Harry said with the voice of a much younger person and Snape smiled sadly

"Do you remember how you tried to teach him chess?" Harry nodded "He was the one who taught me how to play."

Harry opened his mouth in disbelieve "But he couldn't even remember the moves for each piece!"

"Harry, he couldn't even remember he ever knew how to play.", Snape reached out and took Harry's hand "He has been ill for quite a few years now, he has lived longer than the normal life expectancy of someone with Alzheimer. He made up with his only son. He saw me adopt you."

Harry cast his eyes down at those words. The words 'you haven't adopted me' sprang to his mind, but he held them back. He knew what Severus meant, but the expression hurt nonetheless. Severus wasn't even his rightful guardian. Snape misunderstood his reaction and softly continued "I know, it is hard to believe and even harder to accept. But he has fulfilled all his desires and I believe he is ready to go."

Severus felt his heart fill with worry and dread at his own words but continued anyway "We will see him again at Christmas if he can."

"What do you mean?", Harry asked, his voice shaking with fear and Snape squeezed his fingers

"The woman I called before we left, Sharon, she does work at the assisted living quarters. She told me that he is not doing so well.", Snape stopped there for a moment, unsure of how to say what he wanted to express "She said that she believes he'll pull through but... I don't want you to have false hope. It is possible that he won't make it."

Snape took a deep breath after saying it out loud and to is surprise Harry squeezed his fingers back in reassurance "It is also possible that he won't be able to come to Spinners End and we will have to visit him there. But it is very clear to me that I will take every possible chance to see him before Christmas and after... Just in case."

Harry felt like he'd been dunked into ice water. Here Severus was, hiding his worry for his father and there he was, shouting at him because of a stupid biscuit tin. He ground his jaw. He was so stupid and selfish!

"I'm so sorry, Papa...", he said and stopped when he heard how thick his voice was, Snape looked at him and said

"Forget about it Harry, you didn't know.", he said

"Can I come when you go see him?", Harry asked, avoiding his eyes

"That would be very welcome. Tobias... I mean, father would be glad to see you again. Knowing I have you, gives him great pleasure."

Harry nodded and felt horribly inadequate.


"Ah my sweet boy, training so hard?", Dumbledore beamed, when he saw Harry trudging back his way up to the castle. Harry stopped and waited for Dumbledore to reach him, so they could walk up together "I believe Severus does enjoy a good challenge."

"Challenge, sir?", Harry asked

"Your next game against Slytherin will be much anticipated by him and Professor McGonagall.", Dumbledore smiled, his eyes twinkling madly, he then waved his wand and vanished all the mud off Harry's clothes "And Mr. Filch will be glad not to have to clean up your traces."

"Oh, thanks", Harry said, looking down at himself "Do you think, Papa- err, I mean Professor Snape... will he mind if I win?"

"You can certainly call him 'Papa' in the right company, I encourage you to do so.", Dumbledore said warmly "Of course, not in front of any... untrustworthy person."

'Malfoy', Harry thought and nodded

"As for Severus, I believe he doesn't mind too much when you win. That is of course if you keep all your bones in place..."

They entered the Entrance Hall and then the Great Hall still talking about Quidditch

"Ah, my dear Minerva, you're back as well?", Dumbledore said, when he saw their addition to the dining table "You will be pleased to hear that your seeker is working extra hard."

McGonagall gave Harry a thin approving smile "Very good, Mr. Potter, that's the spirit."

Then she turned to Snape and said with a raised eyebrow "I hope your seeker is training as hard. We do want to have opponents and not mere victims."

Snape raised an eyebrow as well and said "We will see, Minerva. We will see."

Minerva smiled and raised a fork in mock threat "You are not sabotaging my seeker, are you?"

Snape looked scandalized "The muscle relaxant I mix into his pumpkin juice is purely health related, I assure you."

Minerva laughed at that and even Snape gave a small smile. Harry sat down grinning and gave Dumbledore a questioning look, Dumbledore smiled while filling his cup of tea

"These two... you wouldn't believe what goes on in the staff room before and after games, be it Hogwarts, regional or international."

Harry snickered, imagining the war between both teachers

"Well, she does support the Holeyhead Harpys.", Snape said derisively, as if it was an explanation for their behavior

"Says the Cannon Supporter.", Minerva snorted

"You support the Chudley Cannons?", Harry asked excitedly "Its Ron's team, too."

"Good boy.", Snape praised "Its only loyal fans who keep to a team no matter what."

"And there are a lot of reasons to stop supporting that team.", Minerva mumbled quite audibly, which made Flittwick snort

"Ah, there they go again.", Dumbledore said to Harry out of the corner of his mouth, when Snape started arguing with McGonagall about the Cannons "Please make them stop."

Even though Harry knew Dumbledore had said it jokingly, he intervened in his teacher's squabble

"I tried a move from Owell in training.", he said

"Owell? But he was a keeper.", Snape said confused

"Yeah, but I adapted it to seeking.", Harry said proudly "I will just..."

"Stop right there, young man!", Minerva interrupted "Don't discuss tactics with the enemy."

Snape huffed at that and Harry laughed "I wasn't going to tell him exactly..."

"Which move?", Snape asked, earnestly interested

"Its the one where he flies directly at you, you know, to intimidate his opponent."

"How have you been practicing that without a partner?", Flittwick asked

"Oh, I just fly at a goal post and avoid it at the last...", at this point Harry looked at Snape, who gave him an incredulous look, that turned murderous quickly. Harry ended quietly "...minute."

"The joys of raising a Gryffindor.", Minerva whispered to Snape, grinning. Snape merely glanced at her and then conveyed with only one look that he'd be having a conversation with the young Quidditch player after lunch. Harry started playing with his food in response.

Harry still couldn't believe that Snape had cut his training time in half so as to be able to stay with him during the whole time. Harry had complained endlessly about it but knew Snape wouldn't budge. Secretly he was glad that Snape was there. The creepy dog kept appearing when he trained and it did distract him immensely. With Severus there he felt a lot saver. Still, he wouldn't be able to use Owell's move with Snape sitting right there.

"If you are here anyway, could you throw these at me?", Harry asked, pointing at a heap of soft black and red balls the size of bludgers.

"I don't need an invitation to throw something at you.", Snape said easily, already picking up some of them. Harry grinned and jumped onto his broom, rising into the air gracefully. Snape started throwing them mercilessly, clearly enjoying the game of "Hit Harry". He was really good too...

"OK, OK! Time out!", Harry screamed after a while and Snape threw one last ball straight at his head "Papa!"

"What?", Snape asked innocently throwing a ball up in the air and catching it, while Harry came closer,

"Take a broom too, then you can attack me from different angles. I'll release the training Snitch, so you can surprise me while I'm searching for it."

Snape seemed to be less thrilled by the idea, but took one of the old school broom anyway. Harry realized immediately why Snape liked to stay afoot rather than airborne. He didn't know if he had just gotten a bad broom, but he was swaying on it as if he was drunk. The broom quivered and Harry had the reflex to catch Severus but refrained from coming closer when he received a glare. So it wasn't the broom, Harry decided and a warm feeling spread through him when he realized: Snape had flown without a word of protest, even though he must know how much he sucked compared to Harry.

"Those school brooms are crap. I only flew them once or twice and nearly landed on my butt.", he said, exaggerating shamelessly. But Snape caught on

"Now I know why Rolanda whines about them every year at the staff meeting.", he grumbled and finally steadied himself. He used one of the broom baskets to load the squishy black and red balls and then nodded for Harry to start. Harry released the little training Snitch, which was the same as a normal Snitch but could be called back by whistling a certain tune. Snape began throwing the balls at him, summoning them back, when he had emptied his basket. Harry realized that one doesn't have to be an expert flyer to knock a Quidditch player off his broom.

"Hey! I nearly fell!", he screamed at Snape

"And now imagine it would have been a real bludger.", Snape screamed back, Harry huffed and didn't point out that beaters normally didn't concentrate on one player alone. Then he saw the Snitch and sped at it – being hit right in the face by one ball – and nearly slid off the broom, when he jerked to stop suddenly. He rounded on his broom, staring at the black dog in the stands. Snape came flying to him directly, even though it was not a perfectly straight line he flew, and asked "What happened?"

"I thought... did you see that?"

"What? The dog?", Snape stared at the dog as well, who stared right back

"He... looked like a man, for a moment.", Harry said, hearing how insane that sounded. Snape glanced at him and then said

"He probably stood on his hind legs.", Snape explained "You were flying pretty fast and your eye sight is not the best as well..."

"Yeah, that's probably it.", Harry mumbled unsure and kept staring at the black dog, who didn't let Snape out of his eyes. Snape ruffled his windswept hair and resumed his Beater position.

"You lost the Snitch over it.", he called and playfully threw a ball at Harry, who grinned and threw it back, before resuming his search.

Harry caught the Snitch a few times, but his heart wasn't in it. They stopped training soon after. Snape sensed his uneasiness and tried to cheer him

"After a shower we can brew the Eagle Eye Serum."

That made Harry grin "Really? Can we go up to the Astronomy Tower then?"

"I believe we could take a swig for Aurora as well.", he said, smiling at his success, he put a hand on Harry's back, guiding him into the changing rooms and looked back at the stands. The black dog had left and Snape scowled. He would have to talk to Hagrid about it.


That night Harry followed Severus up the stairs and witnessed why he was Head of Slytherin House.

"Good Evening, Aurora.", he said with a warm, silky voice that made Harry start and stare at him.

Professor Sinistra, who was checking the students telescopes, looked up and nodded in acknowledgment

"Severus and young Mr. Potter.", the beautiful witch greeted. She had dark skin, black hair and brown eyes. Somehow Harry had always thought that's how Cleopatra must have looked like.

"How can I help you?"

"We would like to gaze at the stars tonight, if you don't mind.", with the same smooth voice, Harry tried not to look too surprised

Aurora raised an eyebrow, clearly not affected by Snape's voice "I'm sorry, but I'm adjusting the telescopes today, you cannot use them."

"Ah, but we don't need them.", he said silkily, pointing at his eyes "We brewed Eagle Eye Serum today and are testing it. By the way, the red in your hair looks radiant."

Aurora blinked and automatically reached up to her solid black hair. Harry squinted and then saw that there were very faint red strands of hair in between. Radiant was a blatant exaggeration, as he thought no one without the Serum would even be able to see it.

"Ah, well thank you. I thought the charm didn't work...", she blinked, slightly confused "If you are quiet you can certainly peruse the sky."

Snape gave a little bow and led Harry away from her. They gazed up into the sky, naming the constellations and pointing out irregularities. They even saw a shooting star. Then they looked into the forbidden forest, playing 'I can something you cannot'

When they left, Snape presented Aurora with a little flask of the Serum "So you can connect with the stars directly."

She smiled for the first time that evening and offered "You can come up whenever you like."

Harry didn't think about that until he caught Snape grinning smugly on the way back down

"What?", he asked

"'You can come up whenever you like'", Snape repeated, grin widening "Not 'whenever you want to look into the sky' or 'whenever you need anything'"

Harry blinked, then laughed nervously "But, Papa, what about Sharon?"

Snape raised an eyebrow "Do you see a ring on my hand?"

This time Harry laughed freely "What kind of example are you setting for me?"

Snape put up a worried face "You're right of course. Forget I said anything. I am faithful to dear Sharon."

Harry chuckled but then turned serious "You aren't in a relationship, though, are you?"

"I told you about Sharon."

"Seriously, Da-, Papa!", Harry whined, Snape glanced at him and then turned serious, too

"No, I am not in a relationship or dating, nor will I enter into any commitment soon."

"That's not because of me, is it?", Harry asked quietly, Snape raised an eyebrow at that

"Of course, before you came along I had one woman in after the other.", Snape said ironically.

Harry pouted at being made fun of like that.

"No, Harry, it is not because of you. It is only that I have certain responsibilities I will have to face as soon as the Second War starts. Those responsibilities do not go well together with serious relationships and commitment. And I am the kind of person that does not care for easy relationships without meaning."

Harry, with his thirteen year old mind, could not possibly understand all the meanings of this, but he nodded solemnly anyway. Thinking about what Snape had said, he realized something else: 'not ready for a serious commitment' did apply to more than the relationship to a woman. It applied to their relationship as well. Harry started, biting his lip as he contemplated that.

What did that mean? That Harry could only stay with Severus as long as the Second War didn't start? Did it mean this whole guardianship was a temporary solution because Snape kind of liked him and pitied him? But he had said he loved him... Still, Snape was not his guardian in name, it was Dumbledore. Any time he wanted, Snape could throw him out. And even though he never said anything about being called "Papa" and called their guardianship an 'adoption' more than once – he had never referred to Harry as his child or son, nor had he actually adopted him. He was free to go whenever he wanted and to take back everything he had given Harry – possessions as well as feelings and rights.

Harry gulped audibly, which made Snape turn to look at him. Harry looked so visibly troubled and the hallways were still empty of any living soul other than them, that he put his arm around Harry's shoulders, squeezing him to his side.

"Don't worry about it, Harry.", Snape said easily "As soon as the Dark Lord vanishes for good, I'll date. I will probably take you along, so they can see what an amazing, warm and good-hearted person I am."

Harry grinned at that and leaned into the half-embrace even though he said "Good plan, otherwise they would never know."

"Cheeky brat!", Snape said and pinched Harry, who laughed even as he protested half-heartedly "Ow!"


It was the weekend before the start of term, when Severus turned to Harry and asked

"The Weasleys must be back from Egypt, are they not?"

"Yeah", Harry answered "They went there after my birthday and came back on Wednesday, I think. Hermione's there too."

"Would you like to spend a few days with them?", Snape asked, trying to sound casual

"Why...?", Harry asked suspiciously

"We didn't buy your third year equipment.", Snape explained

"Oh!", Harry remembered "Of course, yeah... The Weasleys will not have had time either..."

"You can spend time with them and buy your things. Then you all take the train together."

"You don't want to go shopping in a packed up street full of last minute shoppers.", Harry said, smiling knowingly, Snape grunted "Well, I would like to see them. Can Hegwig stay here?"

"Yes, Ophion as well, if you like."

"No, I want to take him.", Harry said, stroking the sleepy creatures head.

"I don't hear you talking to him.", Snape commented watching Harry with the little snake around his wrist

"Well, he sleeps a lot. Is that normal?"

"He's a snake and I believe he is quite comfortable near a source of heat." Harry looked up questioningly "You."

"Ah.", Harry said, understanding. He glanced at the paper, that Snape had disregarded "Anything new about Black?"

"Seen in the village.", Snape answered "Another reason you should spend some time away from here."

"You're trying to lure him out?", Harry asked, Snape scowled

"No, I am not using you as human bait. I meant, it would be good for you to spend some time away from the proximity of a madman who's after your blood."

"Hmm...", Harry hummed, still busy with his pet "What will you do, when I'm gone?"

"I have finished all my pre school year obligations. I will spend some time with Tobias- my father."

"Oh!", Harry said, disappointed "I wanted to go, too."

"I will give your regards."

Harry pouted at that

"We can go on a weekend during the year."

Harry's pout lessened but he still felt like this was a tad unfair. It wasn't his responsibility to remember buying school stuff anymore, so why should he be the one punished for it...

"How much money will you need for your books?", Snape said and Harry realized he had gotten up from the desk to retrieve a pouch with money

"Don't know", Harry shrugged "But a lot less than last year, all those Lockart books were expensive."

"Didn't he present you with them?", Snape asked offhandedly

"I gave Ginny those, I didn't want to have a present from a total stranger."

Snape gave him an approving smile and laid quite a hand full of Galleons on the table

"I don't think I need quite that much...", Harry said, looking up, feeling extremely uncomfortable with receiving money like that.

"How honorable my Gryffindor charge is", Snape said, with a little smile "Buy your things and then take out the Weasley children and Miss Granger for an ice cream. The Weasleys will never take money from you or me for playing host to you these next days. This way we can pay them back a little."

"Yeah, but I think I'm the youngest, expect Ginny. Don't know if they'll let me..."

"Say I ordered you.", Snape interrupted, then grinned "But if you're too honorable to lie: I hereby order you..."

Harry threw a cushion at him and then vanished into his room to pack his duffel bag again.

"The Weasleys are waiting for you, floo through whenever you're ready.", Snape said, looking in on Harry. He stopped when he saw the teenager sitting on the floor quietly "Harry?"

Harry turned around and gave him a shy smile. This way Snape could see that he had something on his lap

"I was looking through my album. Everyone I care about is in there... everyone but you."

Snape walked into the room and sat down beside him. Harry had the album open on the last page that had pictures on it. It was a shot of the three friends together at the end of last year. Hermione had her arms around Ron and Harry at her sides, all three were grinning. Harry was the smallest from them all, Ron the tallest. Snape hoped Harry would grow taller than Hermione, now that he ate properly. Snape put a hand on Harry's head and lightly ruffled his hair, but kept his hand there even afterwards.

With his other hand he idly flipped through the pages until he came to a wedding photograph with Lily, James and the rest of the marauders. He stared at them.

James, whose carbon copy Harry was, at least in looks and Lily, who had given so much of her character to the boy along with the startlingly beautiful green eyes. Then there was Peter, struggling to even make it into the picture. Lupin who looked tired but glad, as if it was an unbelievable honor to be there. Severus looked at him a little longer. He had had slightly longer hair back then, tied back and with less gray in it. His scars still gave him a disgruntled look, even though he was wearing a first class suit, the same as the other two unmarried men in the picture. His honey brown eyes still held the same warmth but lacked the occasional haunted look and a few wrinkles around them. Snape felt a sudden kinship to Lupin he had never experienced before.

Startled he looked away and at the last person. Sirius Black had his arm firmly around James' shoulder and held an identical grin on his face. He looked so handsome, Lily was the only one to outshine him in this picture, even though James radiated more happiness and pride. Black had long hair as well, but where Lupin's was light brown and slightly frayed, his was thick, black and sleek. A strand fell handsomely into his eyes that, even though they were laughing, gave the impression that he knew exactly how good looking he was. One of his arms was loosely held around Lily in a way that suggested he had been pushing the bride and groom closer together. Snape felt such a hot anger flare up in him at that handsome, young face he wanted to rip him out of the picture. He used Occlumency to calm his thoughts before turning the page and looking down at a toddler Harry busily chewing a toy dragon. Harry suddenly shut the album and looked up at him in a beseeching way. He remembered that the child wanted a picture of him and any lasting resentment towards Black vanished.

"I will arrange something. Why are you sitting on the floor?"

"Oh.", Harry said and smiled again "Its stupid."

Snape raised an eyebrow

"At the Dursleys I had this loose floorboard where I hid all the stuff I really cared about. And somehow I did the same thing here, its just that I put it under the bed."

'The box', Snape thought immediately and nodded "You realize, you can use a shelf for the album, I won't take it away, and your cloak is on a shelf at Spinners End."

"Yeah, that's because you put it there.", Harry grinned "I know... I was being silly."

Harry got up and put the album in a shelf, while he did that, Snape glanced at the packed bag and saw the box peaking out. The sighed quietly and got up from the floor.

"I'm ready.", Harry said and they both left for the living room, where Snape put his bag beside the fireplace.

"Be good for the Weasleys and don't forget the ice cream invitation.", Snape said and saw Harry reach out for the floo powder tentatively. 'Not like that', Snape thought, frowning slightly 'I am not going to loose to Lupin!'

As such he pulled the boy into a gruff one armed hug and ruffled his hair again. Letting him go, he cleared his throat awkwardly, Harry grinned up at him and left with a cheery "Bye, Papa!"

Snape looked at the green flames until every last spark died down, then grinned briefly

'2:1, Lupin. I like this ratio.'


"Harry!", Ron shouted and pulled Harry into the room "Finally. I have to tell you all about Egypt."

Harry grinned at him and let himself be hugged warmly and firmly by Mrs. Weasley and Hermione. It felt good, but it didn't compare to the gruff, awkward half-hug that Snape had given him. Probably nothing ever would

"Oh Harry, you have to tell us about Professor Lupin, what's he like?", Hermione asked and the three went outside to discuss their holidays so far. When dinner time rolled around they had already told each other almost everything.

"Been practicing?", Fred asked over the dinner table

"Yeah, I flew around while I was at Hogwarts and Severus even trained with me."

The weirdness of him saying 'Severus' instead of 'Snape' had worn off by now but this news was surprising enough in itself

"Wait, wait, wait!", George said "The Head of Slytherin House trained the Gryffindor seeker? What did you do to him Harry?"

"I'd like to know if he did anything to you.", Fred asked as wide eyed as his brother, Harry laughed

"No, I was trying out this move from Owell and it was kind of dangerous. He heard about it and cut my flying time so he could oversee. Then I told him since he was there, he could help and he played Beater with those squishy balls. I think he really enjoyed himself because he had an excuse to throw things at me."

That made the table laugh and Mrs. Weasley said warmly "I'm so glad."

As Harry was sure she wasn't glad about him being hit with balls repeatedly, he blushed and smiled at her. They spent a few enjoyable days together until it was time for their trip to Diagon Alley and Hermione purchased Crookshanks, to Ron's disgust – "You bought that orange beast?"

Soon it was time to board the train and the three chose the compartment with Lupin, who was sleeping peacefully.

"You just stay away with that monster.", Ron said, keeping his pocket closed with his hand and glaring at Hermione, who huffed

"Harry and Ophion don't mind!", she said

Harry turned to his little friend and hissed "Do you mind the cat?"

"Not as long as it stays away." Harry grinned at that "But keep me away from the rat."

"Why?", Harry asked astounded

"It smells strange."

Harry laughed at that

"What did he say?", Hermione asked

"That Scabbers smells weird and he doesn't mind Crookshanks as long as he's at a distance."

"Well, he probably smells scared and who would blame him!", Ron said and Hermione rolled her eyes, but still kept a firm grip on Crookshanks. They enjoyed a few treats from the trolley before Lupin woke up. Harry offered him a pumpkin pastry before he said he'd make a round in the train to see if everybody was behaving. He had only been gone a few minutes when the train stopped and the atmosphere turned icy.

"What is that?", Ron asked shakily and their question was answered when the compartment door slid open to reveal a cloaked figure. It affected Harry worse, who collapsed in a dead faint before Lupin could rush in and drive it away.

"Harry, are you quite alright?", he handed him a chocolate bar before he proceeded to explain about dementors "They were not supposed to enter the train."

After these words he left to talk with the other adults on the train and soon after they reached their destination. While they were transported to the castle, his friends were quiet and shot him anxious looks. But Harry was surprised to see them look relived, when Snape emerged in the Entrance Hall and ordered him to come down to the dungeons. As soon as the door to their quarters shut, blocking the rest of the world out, Snape turned to him "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, Uncle Remus gave me chocolate and.. Wha-?!"

Harry had been swept into a fierce embrace and stood there, unsure of how to react "Papa?"

"I just remembered what Poppy said about snuggling after a dementor attack."

Harry had freed himself from the hug before Snape even finished the sentence and glared at him with a red face. Snape grinned as if he had just managed a hilarious joke.

"But seriously, you are uninjured?"

"I am fine, thanks.", Harry snapped at him "You know, instead of laughing at me you could help me."

Snape smiled and said "Don't be so sensitive. What can I help you with?"

"Well, teach me how you made the dementor go away, so I can do it too."

"It is quite advanced magic, there are even some adults who can't master it."

"Yeah, I realize you're amazing.", Harry snapped, still annoyed, which made Snape's grin even broader "But even if I cannot do it properly, I can at least hold them off until help arrives."

Snape considered this seriously and then said "Yes, we could try at least."

"And now I'll be the last to enter the hall.", Harry murmured in a bad mood, Snape put a hand between his shoulder blades discreetly and steered him into the corridor. The warm hand did feel good and seemed to melt a bit of Harry's annoyance.

"No, you won't.", Snape said, pointing at Hermione and McGonagall who waited outside the hall for them to join up. The four of them entered together and dispersed at the Gryffindor table. Both students sat down while the teachers claimed their spaces at the staff table quietly.

"Is Harry alright?", Poppy whispered to Snape and he nodded

"I made sure he received both remedies.", he said with a straight face and Poppy looked confused for a moment, before she grinned too and looked at the Gryffindor they were discussing. Harry chose that moment to look in their direction and went scarlet again as he saw Pomfrey grin

"I see, is that the reason he is blushing right now?"

"At least he has color in his cheeks again.", Snape said easily, trying hard not to grin, Pomfrey snorted

"Indeed."


The next morning McGonagall came and discussed their choice for additional subjects, she turned to Harry and said

"You guardian requested only that you not be allowed to take divination.", McGonagall began "Usually I wouldn't agree with restrictions like these, but in this case..."

Harry blinked surprised, McGonagall had never shown dislike for a colleague before, even Lockart. But the look on her face made it clear why she didn't disagree with Snapes restriction.

"And as you are now an apprentice, Professor Snape will give you official private lessons, which count as one additional subject. That means you only have to choose one other."

"OK, I'd like to take Care of Magical Creatures.", Harry said "What about you Ron?"

"Aww, I wanted to take Divination with you.", Ron said "OK, we can go to Care together."

They both received their schedules and looked them over. At the times that Harry would have had Divination, he now had to report to Snapes office for additional brewing. He already knew that he would follow a difference curriculum than the rest of potions class.

"Additionally.", Harry looked up, surprised to still see Professor McGonagall there "You will have to hand in a paper on a special subject in Potions instead of the end of year exams."

"What? Why?"

"As an apprentice it is supposed that your knowledge surpasses that of a normal third year student. As such you cannot sit the same exams and the examiner for Potions in the ministry has requested to receive this paper from you instead."

Harry looked so lost with this, that McGonagall gave him a thin smile "Don't worry, Professor Snape will assist."

After his eventfull first Care of Magical Creatures Class, Harry went to his Private Advanced Potions Application with Snape. Snape seemed to be rather looking forward to it, as he was humming while setting out a large number of ingredients.

"Hello, Professor.", Harry said to draw his attention and Snape looked up, with a flick of his wand the door closed behind Harry and Snape said

"Good day, Harry. You can relax."

Harry took this as an invitation to take off his robe and trudged to Snape asking "McGonagall said I have to prepare a paper instead of the exam."

"Professor McGonagall.", Snape corrected in an offhand way "That is exactly what I am preparing right now. I looked through my old ideas for new developments and found this little note."

Snape took out the note, waving it without showing it to Harry "Are you familiar with what a molotov cocktail is?"

Harry raised his eyebrows so high they disappeared into his hairline "Isn't it that bottle people throw that explodes?"

"Correct.", Snape said, still in a ridiculously good mood "We will develop a magical variant. Vials that you can throw at a target to achive a certain effect."

"You don't want to blow things up, do you?", Harry asked carefully, feeling excitement growing in him as well

"I wouldn't mind that.", Snape said failing at hiding his smile "But there are other things as well. You could fill it with a topical sleeping draught for example..."

"ThatIsSoCool!", Harry said breathlessly, ideas bombarding his mind "You could throw a vial that has a Boil Potion in it and the person would have boils all over or an invisibility draught. What about that Potion that makes you fall into a Coma?"

"The Draught of Living Death?"

"Yeah, that one!", he grinned at Snape, his eyes sparkling with excitement, all fear about being graded from a Ministry official forgotten. Snapes eyes softened at that look and he said

"I believe you will enjoy this research."

Harry grinned at him and rolled up his sleeves like Snape had done, noting that Snape had put the glamour over his Dark Mark again, unlike during the holidays when he didn't hide it infront of Harry any more.

When Harry told Ron and Hermione about his project during lunch they chorused jealously "You are so lucky!" for two entirely different reasons.

"You can explore so many Potions and ingredients and change them up to fit the method. You will learn so much.", Hermione said without even trying to hide her jealousy as before.

"You can blow things up for a school project and even get a good grade for it!", Ron complained "Sometimes I hate you, Harry."

Harry grinned and said "I bet I can get Sev-" Harry stopped himself and said "Snape to let you two help. Maybe he'll even give you extra credit for it."

"Oh, can you please ask him, please!", Hermione pleaded "It was worse enough that you could brew Felix already."

"Yeah.", Ron added without caring a bit about Felix Felicis "It would be so cool, I'd do it without extra credit."

Harry grinned at both of them and felt a warm contentment in his stomach. He had a dad and he did cool stuff with him. It was so cool that his friends were jealous and wanted to join. He had what he had always wanted. This feeling made him quite generous and he didn't mind sharing his dad for a little while with them. Smiling he looked up at the staff table and realized that Uncle Remus was whispering something into Severus ear, that made him scowl pretty badly.


Chapter End Notes:
Sooo!

I hid a little easter egg in this chapter. And the reviewer who finds it, I will dedicate the next chapter to. ( wiki/Easter_egg_%28media%29)

And regurlar updates will be scheduled for Fridays and Tuesdays.

This chapter: I introduced Tobias' illness again. I'm super excited about this part of the story as death plays such a vital role in the HP series. Next chapter will be even better than this one, in my humble opinion.

Chapter four: Sev and Harry visit Tobias, there's a lot of emotion in this one, get your hanky ready ;) And then there are several people who have a discussion with Sev, trying to help him deal with his fathers illness and possibly soon demise. And there's a little Sirius in there as well.