Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 5

"I loved the scene when he pulls off the mask and they have the last talk!", Harry said excitedly and Marty grinned

"I must confess I wiped away a tear at the end."

Severus leaned back, bored to death, listening to them talk about their favourite movies. He had expected something deeper, but he wasn't the specialist here, was he? He took the chance to look Marty over. She was a rather plump woman, with a round face that seemed to have the understanding etched into it. He had inwardly recoiled when he first met her. He couldn't stand so much goodness. But while he talked about his life her eyes had turned hard and analytical. She had looked at him the way he looked at some of his potions. Just one little tweak and he could set it right... That's when he knew she was the one – the one to heal him and his boy. But now he could really appreciate her kindness, for she showered it on Harry: laughing at his jokes, nodding in understanding at his explanation and smiling for no apparent reason at all. He still felt bored.

"And I never understood how they couldn't both survive!", Harry whined "Aunt Petunia used to love that movie but I locked myself in the cupboard to escape it."

Severus saw a glint in her eyes, that vanished instantly as she steered the conversation into other waters

"So, no romance?" Harry laughed and she continued "And fantasy?"

"I loved fantasy.", Harry said "But I couldn't watch anything with wizards in it because Dudley wasn't allowed to. No magic, that was the rule. I once brought back The Lord Of The Rings from the library and had to keep it out of the house because there is a wizard in it."

Harry rolled his eyes at that and Severus saw how hard it was for Marty to just smile. She was kneading the little fluff animal she normally gave to her patients quite mercilessly. At that moment she glanced at the clock.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Harry, but we need to stop here.", she said "But I'd love to see you again and talk some more."

Harry smiled and stood up to shake hands

"Will you wait outside? I still have a little conversation with your father."

Harry blinked confused and then gave Severus an unsure look "Father?"

Marty smiled warmly "He is your father in all but name, don't you agree?"

Harry gave a non-committal noise and fled the room.

"Was that necessary?", Severus asked, glancing at the door

"Yes, it certainly was.", Marty said easily "You have a wonderful son, congratulations."

"Don't even try it with me."

Marty grinned "How do you ever want to feel up to being a father to that child if you cannot even use the proper terms?"

Severus raised an eyebrow but refrained from commenting further

"He does have a troubled past, poor boy.", Marty said, turning sober "But nothing too severe."

"Nothing too severe?", Severus said disbelievingly but before he could start ranting, Marty said

"I deal with this every day, Severus. You can't tell me you expected me to be surprised or even shocked at what happened to him. I know its horrible, but its hardly the worst case I ever worked on. It will be hard for you to deal with but if you pull yourself together you can do it. I will help you and this is the good news: he's not past the point of no return. He is young and he is incredibly strong. He will manage, just don't expect it all to happen over night."

Severus nodded, appeased by the praise she gave Harry and feeling annoyed about it in the next instant. That woman was playing with him!

"And another thing: I will not counsel him if you don't tell him the truth. You will tell him that he's here for himself and not for you. Is that clear?"

Severus raised an eyebrow at her strict tone but said "Yes."

"So, now to the young man at hand.", she pulled a writing pad from her lap that he hadn't even noticed her writing in the whole time "He has, of course, severe issues with father figures in his life. He will need a lot of support and different people to lean on. There are the typical insecurities that come from prolonged neglect and abuse. You will have to deal with emotional outbursts as he tries to adjust to the new situation. The more comfortable he feels the more likely he is to lash out, to test his boundaries. If he doesn't, if he plays the little angel, that's when you should feel worried..."

"Wait, you picked all of this only from a conversation about movies and books?"

"I know how to take a hint, Severus.", she teased "He – like many abused children – uses code to deliver their message. Those children will seek out help, the only problem is, they do it in code form. For example, a child that is sexually abused by someone will try to avoid being alone with that person, he will drop hints, make ridiculous excuses, trying to make the other person second guess him and investigate. He will try to keep other children, siblings for example, away from danger, even to the point of sacrificing himself."

"I am supposed to read that code how?"

"You're not.", Marty said "I am. You are supposed to make him talk openly, don't play the game with him. He should feel comfortable enough to confide in you, you told me he already did once. I will wheedle out the details and talk to him about it. I will encourage him to confide in you. If he needs a safe place to talk to you about it, he can do it here."

"Or at Hogwarts or at home.", Snape added but Marty shook her head

"He sees those places as a safe haven, Severus. He does not want to spoil them, remembering those horrid Muggles."

Severus leaned back, feeling exhausted

"Don't worry, it will all clear up. You did the right thing to ask for help, especially in these hard times. How is your father doing?"

"Worse by day.", he answered shortly, not meeting her eyes

"Don't you think he's waiting for something?"

Severus raised his eyes at that, a guarded expression on his face. Suddenly he remembered one of the verses his father had Harry read every time they went to visit.

"I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account."

He shuddered but shook his head before admitting quietly "I'm not ready yet."

"I know.", Marty said with empathy, smiling sadly "But you will be."


"She's cool.", Harry said, when Severus joined him again "I like her."

"Hmm...", Severus gave Harry his coat and took his own. While they were walking to the apparation point, he said "Would you like to talk to her on a regular basis?"

Harry frowned but Severus jumped in with more explanation "It did help me a lot and I understand it must be hard for you to live with me suddenly and then have to deal with the death of another person."

Harry blinked up at him but didn't say anything

"You realize it does not mean you're crazy."

"I know.", Harry said quietly and pursed his lips "Its just... Vernon always said shrinks are for weak and stupid people and that they're charlatans."

"He would.", Severus said "It doesn't need a shrink to analyse him."

Harry looked up questioningly and Severus reeled down "Father issues, definitely homophobic, probably because he has hidden homoerotic fantasies. He is a control freak who needs everything put in a neat row the way he orders it. He cannot deal with things out of order, anomalies. He needs the security that structure gives him desperately. He idealizes his wife and son because thus it reflects good back on himself."

Harry stared at him open mouthed "I stopped listening after 'homoerotic fantasies'"

Severus laughed at that and pulled him into a hug to apparate. When they landed in the forbidden forest, Severus finished his assessment "And he is a fat, abusive, dimwitted bas-"

"Papa, language.", Harry grinned

"Pardon me.", Severus said easily, turning his clothes back to robes and handing Harry his invisibility cloak "I loose my cool with those people."

"They're not worth it.", Harry's voice came somewhere to his right and ended that conversation

"How is your correspondence with Tobias?"

"Oh, he tells me hilarious things!", Harry answered happily "He told me the one time you made the toilet bite him..."

Severus snorted at the memory

"How did you do that?"

"Accidental Magic, I was angry at him.", Severus explained, trying to give Harry as much attention as he was giving their environment.

"Hey, do you think Ophion needs a... mate?"

Severus stopped in his tracks at that and asked incredulously "What is it with you and relationships?"

He heard Harry shuffle his feet "I just thought... Well Hedwig meets her kind all the time while she's out flying. But I'm the only one who has a snake around here."

"You are not getting another pet.", Severus decided firmly and then joked "You could always go down to the chamber."

"That's morbid, Da- Papa!", Harry complained "If you feel lonely I don't drag you to a cemetery."

Severus laughed a little at that but then said "I would offer to take you or have Hagrid take you to the Forbidden Forest to make more snake friends. But I fear that will not be possible while Black is at large."

He could practically feel Harry pout at that

"But its not that bad to visit the Chamber once... Make it a Potions Project, to harvest some ingredients..."

"We could harvest ingredients in the forbidden forest as well."

"But the chamber is free of raging mad men.", Snape said and opened the gate for them, glaring at the dementors in the distance "Those remind me, we still have Patronus lessons."

"What lesson?"

Severus closed the gate securely after himself and turned to where he supposed Harry was standing

"Patronus. The charm that repels dementors."

"Oh yeah!", Harry said suddenly and then suggested "Do you mind if I have those with Uncle Remus?"

"Why?", Severus asked sharply

"Well we'll see each other during Potions and Advanced Potions, visiting grandfather and... counseling.", Harry said "I'd like to have time for Uncle Remus as well..."

Severus wanted to forbid it, it was on the tip of his tongue. But even though Harry was still invisible he could just imagine the disappointment spreading over his face. He had heard the uncertainty in his voice. Severus gave a short sigh and started walking towards the Entrance, trying to sound casual as he said "Sure, he'll be thrilled."

"Yay!", Harry said and Severus saw the cloak lift of his feet as he gave a little jump "Thanks!"

"Yes, yes. Off to your dormitory, little pest."

He heard Harry's footsteps fade away in the distance and shook his head about himself.


"Minerva!", Severus shouted across the room after the teachers conference, McGonagall turned around, he came up to her and waited until they couldn't be overheard "How am I supposed to tell him?"

Minerva gave a sympathetic smile "Shall I?"

"No...", Severus said "I do see the sense in it, but he won't. He'll say he could take the invisibility cloak."

"Offer him something equally interesting.", Minerva suggested while they both walked down the corridor

"Like what?"

"Any progress with your potions project? You might do something exciting for that?"

"We could experiment, yes... I'd like to go down to the Chamber, but he's not excited about that...", Severus sighed when they reached McGonagall's office "He has been looking forward to this since he heard about Hogsmeade visits."

Minerva sighed as well "I know, but his safety has top priority."

Snape nodded, leaving her standing there. As soon as he reached the Entrance Hall, he saw the boy they were discussing talking to his friends after dinner and he barked "Potter, come here!"

Harry flinched at the raised voice but complied and came trotting down the Hall towards the stairs

"Yes, Sir."

"Follow me.", Snape led him to his office and closed the door securely after him "Would you like to do the experiments this weekend?"

Harry looked up with shining eyes "Oh! That'd be so cool, can we blow something up?"

"I'll see what I can do.", Snape said with a small smile at Harry's boyish enthusiasm for explosions.

"Ron and Hermione wanted to help, too. To polish up their grades, you know.", Harry grinned when Snape raised an eyebrow at that.

"I... am not sure they will want to go on this weekend...", Snape began and Harry blinked before saying

"Oh, its Hogsmeade! Of course, how could I forget? Can we do the experiment next week then?"

"Harry, what I'm trying to say is... You can't go."

Snape saw Harry's expression crumple into disappointed so fast, it was almost comical

"But why?"

"We just had a conference and all your teachers agree that you should stay within Hogwarts' wards... Sirius Black..."

"I don't care about Black!", Harry shouted suddenly "He's already destroyed my life once, why should he be allowed to interfere now? And why didn't you say anything? What do I care about my teachers, you're my guardian!"

Snape took a deep breath "I happen to agree with them."

"What?", Harry said incredulously "Why?"

"Your safety is more important than a visit to Hogsmeade..."

"We go through the forest every time we visit grandpa."

"Yes, but you accompany me, you're under the cloak!"

"Exactly, why can't we do that again?", Harry asked, looking hopeful

"Harry, you know why I can't claim you as my... ward in front of the whole world. I have a role to play. I cannot possibly take you to Hogsmeade."

"Yes you could!", Harry whined "Like always, I'll wear the cloak and I promise I'll stay by your side."

"Harry, you're thirteen. How much fun would you have at the places I frequent in Hogsmeade? I don't usually go to Honeydukes or Zonkos..."

Harry pursed his lips "What about Uncle Remus? He could take me, no one would think twice about that."

At this Severus had to try hard to not press his lips together "No, absolutely not."

"Why?", Harry asked incredulously

"Because... Your godfather was friends with Sirius Black back in the day. I do not trust him with your safety."

"What?", Harry said completely shocked "But I stayed with him during the summer."

"And I brought you back as soon as Black escaped."

"Yes but...", Harry realized his argument wasn't going anywhere and tried a different route "What about McGonagall or any other teacher?"

"Harry, do you honestly believe I would entrust anyone but myself or the headmaster with your life when a mass murderer is running around to get you?"

Harry looked at him with a pained expression "Why do I have to suffer because of him? I didn't do anything and I'm being punished! Its so unfair."

Severus ached to point out that life wasn't fair, but he thought that would go down like oil in fire.

"I want to be like everybody else.", Harry begged and it cut deep into Severus heart to hear this sound from him "I just want to be normal."

"Harry.", Severus began, completely unsure of how to proceed but he didn't have to, because Harry turned around and fled into his room, slamming the door shut. Severus stood there, arms wrapped protectively in front of his chest, staring at the door and once again feeling like nothing in this world could have ever prepared him for this.

He actually agreed with Harry, it wasn't his fault and he shouldn't have to pay for it. But what was he supposed to do? Let the boy go and have fun, while risking his life? Severus felt cold dread at the very thought of what Black would do to him. And there was the matter of the other students who would be put to risk as well. The last time Black killed one of his adversaries 12 innocent people died.

He let Harry have some space before he knocked softly at the door and entered. The room was empty. The naked fear that caught up with him at the look of the made up bed and cold stone floor, completely devoid of one Harry Potter, was something he had never experienced before.

"Harry?", he chocked out, his eyes darting around the room. There wasn't enough space for Harry to fit under the bed and he couldn't have left, Snape knew. But the fear of what Black would do to him was still fresh in his mind, he turned to search the rest of his quarters when he heard a creak behind him. He turned around and stared at the wardrobe. Surely not...

Surely yes – when he opened it, Harry was sitting there, knees drawn to his chest, chin resting atop of them. He looked up under his bangs with a "Something wrong?" expression.

"Come out of there.", Snape said, sounding more irritated than he felt. He was relieved, really. But a big portion of how he felt right now was confused and afraid. Afraid of what would come to light now. He gave Harry a hand and pulled him onto his feet. Instead of letting go, Severus held on to the small, clammy hand and guided the teen to his bed. He folded back the covers automatically and didn't see the surprised look he received from Harry, who climbed in and let himself be tucked under the covers.

Severus sat down beside him and asked

"What were you doing in there?"

Harry shrugged

"Do you stay in there often?"

Harry shook his head and when Snape's brow furrowed at his lack of verbal response he said "It was the first time."

"How...", Severus had wanted to ask 'how did you get in there?', but that wasn't really what he wanted to know. His thoughts were jumbled up and it was hard to clear his head "Why did you go in there, what were you thinking?"

Harry looked up at Severus and then down at his covers, he began chewing his lip but didn't answer

"I am just curious, Harry.", Severus said quietly, his guarded expression and quiet voice belied what he had said. Still, Harry knew, every time he had confided in Severus, he had not let him down. He had believed in him and tried to help him. And this was no big deal.

"I don't know... I kinda feel safe in there."

Severus nodded, without really understanding "How did you know you would feel that way?"

"It looked like my cupboard.", Harry whispered, realizing it himself in that moment and he shrugged again. Severus sat there, stunned by this.

"Did I...", Snape stopped and swallowed "Did I make you feel... scared?"

Harry blinked, surprised and then shook his head "No... I was angry and I... it just felt like... every time the Dursleys would just dump me at Mrs. Figgs, it felt like that. They would take Dudley somewhere fun and I'd stay back."

"So you went back to the cupboard.", Severus sighed, more to himself than to Harry, feeling horrified at what he had involuntarily caused.

"Its not that bad, really.", Harry tried, feeling uncomfortable "It was... yeah, I felt like that but... I just saw the cupboard and sat in there. It must be hard for you to understand, but the cupboard was always mine. It was where I was safe and where I could do whatever I wanted. I wasn't in anyone's way and no one looked at me funny."

Harry shrugged again, not able to put words to the feeling,

Severus hid his face in his hands. He had done that. He had made Harry feel unwanted, freakish and like a broom that was kept out of the way and out of sight.

"Papa?", Harry asked, feeling overwhelmed with the whole situation "Its really not that bad. If you want, I'll never go in there again."

"That is not the point Harry.", Severus said, forcing himself out of his own misery to face the boy "I don't want you to feel that way. You are not allowed to go out with your peers, yes. But not because they don't want you there or I don't want you to have fun or because you don't deserve it. Its only because it would be unsafe. The moment Black is caught, you'll be able to join them, I promise."

Harry nodded, still looking disappointed

"I know its unfair.", Snape continued "But all I want is for you to be safe, well and unharmed."

Harry nodded, understanding that, when he compared it to the way he felt for his friends and Severus and Uncle Remus. Snape put a hand on top of his covers where his chest was.

"And you have seen the village already, right?" Harry nodded "Now, for the cupboard."

Harry raised his shoulders, trying to make himself vanish into the covers

"I can understand, after your explanation, why confined spaces would make you feel safe. I want you to try and not use that cupboard. If you feel unwell, in any sense of the word, I want you to confront it and tell me. Alright?", Harry looked unsure, his expression extremely vulnerable and scared. But he was a Gryffindor, he nodded. "But if you really feel the need to hide, then you can stay there for a little while."

Severus didn't know if it was the right thing to say. This whole cupboard deal sounded a lot like his own addiction and allowing Harry access sounded like an incredibly stupid idea. But at the same time he wanted for Harry to have at least one spot that gave him this comfort and safety he craved. Maybe some day it would extend to his room and then to their home. And if Harry really needed that to feel secure then he would at least like to know where to find the child...

Harry stared at him and then he said, disbelieve clear in his voice "You would let me stay there?"

"As long as you need.", Snape said and restrained himself from moving, doing anything else than saying "Of course I'd wish for you to call me rather than stay alone in the dark."

"The dark isn't scary.", Harry whispered "Light is. It shows you everything."

Snape closed his eyes and took a trembling breath. Those simple words were so true, he had felt this time and again. Whenever he had tried to hide the marks of his fathers rage, whenever he tried to make friends despite his shabby appearance. Whenever he felt like everybody could see right through him, see his weakness displayed for the whole world to see. Whenever he wished that his classmates would at least look away, if they wouldn't stop the bullies. Whenever he hid the Dark Mark or when he had to stand in front of Dumbledore, giving him a report after a Death Eater meeting and enduring his sympathy. Light made people see everything, the dark was like a warm blanket, hiding your faults and misgivings.

But this child, of mere thirteen years should not know this. He closed his eyes, trying and failing to hide from all of this. He felt the warm small hand he had grabbed earlier on top of his and looked up right into Lily's gorgeous green eyes. He leaned down and connected their foreheads together. Close up he could see all the fine lines in the green eyes he had always loved so much. He was pressing his own forehead on top of the famous scar, hiding it away, pressing Harry's bangs between them. His own long hair had fallen around their faces, curtaining them.

Harry smiled, Severus could see the little crinkles forming around his almond shaped eyes. Severus smiled back. He didn't know why they were smiling at each other. There was no good reason to smile, there was reason to cry. He leaned back and said

"Good night, child."

Harry cocked his head and answered "Good night, Papa."

And that was all.


Harry had spent the first Hogsmeade weekend visit with Lupin. As all his classmates were gone, they could both work on the Patronus charm in peace. Severus had taken the opportunity to give Tobias a short visit before looking in on Privet Drive. He was quite pleased with the way that both Dursleys looked twitchy and anxious, trying to avoid each others eyes. He did not give them another dose of his little therapy session but enjoyed the fruit of his labour. While Petunia was cooking he came up to her and blew into her ear, which made her jump and drop the bowl she was holding. The crash had Vernon dashing into the kitchen to find his wife a nervous wreck alongside shards of china. Severus had mercilessly looked on as he tried to tend to her and get her to get up. He could not bring up the energy to feel any sympathy for the cruel woman, bleeding from small cuts on her palms. He looked down at her disdainfully. She did not deserve sympathy, care or mercy. She deserved to suffer for what she had done to his son. And he would make her suffer, again and again, until she lost her grip on her perfect little life and it slipped, fell and broke to pieces like the china at her feet.

He turned away and apparated back into the forest, curious to feel no satisfaction at what he had done that day. Maybe it had just not been enough, he should have done something to Vernon as well, he thought with a bitter expression. As he entered the Hogwarts grounds, giving the dementors a cold look, he took a deep breath. When he looked up at the castle he automatically looked for the window of the Defense classroom. The light was still on. He still couldn't understand how Dumbledore trusted Lupin completely. Even though he had grown closer to the man, he still could not trust him like that. Because of that same spark of worry, he decided to pick Harry up from Lupin's classroom. He had had enough Patronus practice for one day. As he entered the castle he saw one of his colleagues going up the stairs.

"Aurora!", he called and the astronomy teacher turned around to look down at him, he caught up with her and said "I'm going up to Lupin's, may I accompany for a while?"

She smiled and nodded "I don't remembered you and him being friends back in the day."

Severus looked surprised "You remember me from Hogwarts?"

She gave an amused smile "Oh yes, you were the Slytherin kid everyone told me to look out for."

He raised an eyebrow "You were... in Ravenclaw I think?"

She nodded "Two years below you."

"You remember.", he remarked again, feeling surprised by this, she shrugged

"The Serum was a very... thoughtful present."

"I thought if we invade into your personal space like that, we should give you a peace offering."

She laughed at that, which surprised him again. She had never seemed like the person to take any kid of interest in him, yet she had remembered him from back then. In all the years they had worked together, they had barely crossed paths and she still laughed at a joke from him, that frankly wasn't that good. They had reached the Defense classroom and heard Harry and Remus talking inside.

"You take an interest in that boy's welfare.", she said quietly "That is quite... remarkable."

"Do you think so? I think everyone with a living, beating heart should.", he said, rather more coldly than he wanted, she locked eyes with him and regarded him for a moment

"But they seldom do, that's why its remarkable.", she said, not breaking eye contact "Its funny, how abused, battered children always find a way together, no matter how long it takes or how much they try to avoid it. There is always something that binds them to each other, they always find and recognize one another..."

"What...?", he said, feeling confused, but at that moment Lupin opened the door and looked surprised to find two of his colleagues outside

"Oh, err, hello.", Remus said looking between them, Aurora looked at him and shortly said

"Excuse me, I was on my way to my tower, Severus, Remus, Mr. Potter.", nodding at each of them, she left them standing there and took the stairs up. All three men looked after her until Harry said

"Hi, Papa."

Severus snapped out of his reverie about Aurora's mysterious words and looked at Harry "Did you get some work done?"

Harry beamed at him and confidently said "Expecto Patronum!"

Silver mist protruded from the wand and hovered in front of them for a while, Severus looked impressed

"Good for a first lesson, huh?", Remus said proudly, ruffling Harry's hair

"Excellent, I would say.", Severus said, with a mild expression on his face "But no wonder, the boy is talented. Actually I doubt you had to do much."

Remus smiled at Severus' teasing "Yeah? And I think our little genius here is going to surpass you soon as well."

Harry grinned at that and Severus rolled his eyes "Come, Harry. Your hyperactive friends will want to stuff you with sweets."

Harry didn't need to be asked twice and he practically jumped besides him all the way up to Gryffindor tower, babbling excitedly about his day and all the stories Uncle Remus had told him about his parents and the marauders.

"Once they even glued a smurf hat onto Professor Flitwick's head. It took him a week to get it off.", Harry recounted happily, Snape remembered that incident and shook his head to hide his amusement. Lily had provided that hat and it had been innocent fun that even the Charms Professor had found funny.

"I believe Filius rather liked the hat or he would have gotten it off sooner."

"Really?", Harry laughed "I have to tip off Fred and George."

Severus smiled at that, feeling just a little guilty. When they reached the Portrait Hole they were not alone.

"Professor!", Percy shouted, the moment he saw him "Its the Fat Lady, someone ripped her Portrait!"

Snape scowled at that pronouncement and ordered "Get the headmaster!" before he wet up to the slashed Portrait. He felt the students' eyes on him as he studied it. A flicks of his wand showed him what he had expected and soon Dumbledore reached them.

"Severus? What happened?"

"I don't know, all I can say is that it was damaged by non-magical means..."

"It was that horrible person, your headmastership.", Peeves cackled, delighted with the students' frightened expressions "The man they are all searching for: Sirius Black."

Some of the girls shrieked at that and Dumbledore immediately ordered "Prefects, get all students down to the Great Hall. Severus, bring your Slytherins."

With that he whipped out his wand and three identical white birds appeared and flew off as soon as Dumbledore had given them his message "Sirius Black entered the castle, bring your house down to the Great Hall. Gryffindors and Slytherins are on their way. Minerva, inform the other teachers."

Dumbledore accompanied them only until they reached the stairs, where he met with McGonagall who took the Gryffindors down to the Great Hall. They were met by Slytherins in the Entrance Hall, coming up the stairs and both their heads guided them inside hurriedly. After all students had assembled, the four heads of house provided sleeping bags and then left them with Professor Sinistra and Vektor to search the castle.


Harry laid there wide awake beside his two best friends, waiting anxiously for Uncle Remus or Severus to return. He couldn't really follow Ron and Hermione's conversation until they both entered alongside Dumbledore. Harry shushed his friends and frowned as he saw the set of Severus' jaw and Remus' burning gaze. They were hissing something at each other that sounded so venomous, Harry could have mistaken it for Parseltongue. Remus seemed to want to come to him, but Severus was continually saying something in a low tone, that didn't carry to the students. Dumbledore intervened at one point and sent Remus away, who looked disgusted. Severus then started paroling the Hall with the other heads.

Dumbledore shot him a look before he followed Remus outside. On the grounds he called him back.

"Remus, wait."

The younger man stopped and turned, still fuming with anger

"He is only worried about Harry, you have to understand that."

"How can he accuse me of something like that? I would never hurt Harry, never!", Remus spat, his heart still racing from the anger he felt pulsating through his veins. A headache was rapidly forming and he rubbed his temple "If I saw Sirius even in his vicinity, I wouldn't stop to ask, I'd kill him on the spot!"

"I know, Remus, try to relax."

Lupin snorted angrily and looked into the distance "Harry is all I've got, I love him like a son. Does Snape really think he is the only one who cares for the boy? And if I was in on it with Black would I have kept him late in my office or just led him to him? That Harry was with me at the time probably saved his life. Has he stopped and thought about that?"

"No, he hasn't, obviously he hasn't, Remus.", Dumbledore said softly "He is mad with worry, he is searching for someone to blame and you are the easiest target. I will talk with him tomorrow, try to put some sense into his thick head. But you have to understand why he jumped to that conclusion: He could never forgive himself if his growing friendship with you led to harm Harry in any way."

"I would never..."

"I know.", Dumbledore interrupted "But Severus doesn't. Give him time to clear his head. I know you would not harm Harry, I know you would do anything to make him safe again."

Lupin turned around at that and took a deep breath. He stared into the forest and then looked back at Dumbledore uncertainly. Dumbledore sensed there was something he wanted to say but didn't push him any more "If you need to talk, my door is always open, my boy."

With that Dumbledore turned around and left Lupin to his thoughts.


That weekend started with a match against Slytherin. Or so they thought.

"Slytherin has found an excuse to avoid playing in this foul weather.", Wood announced, his jaw set and gaze grim "We'll be playing Hufflepuff."

The other team members groaned and started to protest but Wood held up his glowed hand "I know, but there's nothing for it. Hufflepuff have a strong keeper, Chasers take care of that." they nodded before Wood turned to Harry "Their seeker is superb, beat his ass, Harry."

Harry grinned at that and nodded too. They all filed out into the pouring rain to thunder and lightening. Harry looked hopelessly at Wood, as his vision was constantly hindered by the rain. Wood held off the beginning of the match looking desperate

"Its hard enough to spot the snitch as it is, but like this...", Harry said, pointing to his already dripping glasses. At that moment Hermione burst onto the pitch, holding her robes above her head with one had and pointing her wand at Harry with the other "Impervius!"

Harry blinked as all the water vanished from his sight and stayed away. Wood looked so relieved, Harry was surprised he didn't kiss Hermione on the spot "Brilliant!"

As this problem was solved, the teams faced each other. Harry looked up to the other team's seeker, who already had his googles on and seemed to be frowning. The whistle sounded weakly and they were off into the air. Harry whipped around, frantically trying to find the snitch as soon as possible. He heard the scores but couldn't confirm it was Gryffindor. He saw a golden glint that turned out to be someone's watch and then his eyes fell on something else yellow. A pair of eyes, looking at him. Harry squinted and recognized the dog, Black, in the same moment as he felt the air freeze around him. He frantically reached into his pocket for his wand and screamed "Expecto Patronum!", but his effort was futile. After that first lesson Harry had not had another and all he produced was feeble white mist. He trembled and felt himself slipping away into unconsciousness as he listened to his mother's begging for his life.

When Harry next opened his eyes, he felt something heavy on himself. He blinked tiredly and heard Pomfrey's agitated voice

"He's sleeping! You can visit tomorrow. Off with you lot.", a moment later Harry heard muffled replies and then Pomfrey's firm voice "Now!"

The weight on him shifted at that sharp command and Severus came into view.

"Were you sleeping on me?", Harry asked tiredly and yawned

"You are comfortable.", Severus said, massaging his neck "How do you feel?"

"Tired, but alright. What happened?"

"Dementors stormed the pitch, you fell off your broom..."

"I know!", Harry interrupted "I meant, who won?"

Snape raised an eyebrow and said "Get your priorities right, boy! Hufflepuff won the match. Diggory caught the Snitch before he realized you had fallen."

Harry looked so dismayed that Severus felt obliged to add "Its not the end of the world. The way the points stand, you still have a chance at winning the cup. Relax."

Harry pouted at that and folded his arms over his chest "If Slytherin hadn't chickened out..."

"You would still have fallen off your broom", Severus continued, leaning back "There is something else..."

Harry looked at him disinterestedly

"Your broom.", at this Harry sat up "it was blown into the Womping Willow."

"No!", Harry pronounced as he recognized Severus' pained expression "It was destroyed?"

"Sadly, yes."

Harry fell back into his pillows with an open mouth. His Nimbus was gone...

"Don't worry, we'll get you a new one before the next match.", Severus said, ruffling his hair, he seemed to be rather sympathetic, so Harry tried to do what he had seen Dudley do countless times.

"It was my first broom and it was a present from Professor McGonagall.", he said in a small voice, trying hard to sound younger than he was "Whatever broom I get it will never be like that one..."

Severus sighed and looked troubled, he pursed his lips before he said "What kind of broom do you want?"

Harry beamed at him immediately "A firebolt!"

Severus looked as if he had a tooth ache "A firebolt?"

"Hmm.", Harry said, nodding vigorously with shining eyes.

"We'll see.", Snape said and then added "Don't believe for a second I didn't look through your little display, pest."

Harry grinned

"Don't ever try to outslytherin me, it won't work.", Snape said, getting up and ready for leaving. He acted as if he didn't hear Harry murmur

"It did work this time."

He was glad he had already turned his back on Harry, because he couldn't keep the grin off his face at that.


 

Chapter End Notes:
So guys, how did you like Marty? Could you recognize the movie? How did you like Severus' assessment of Vernon's psyche?
And I'm so sorry I keep making Sev and Harry fight but I promise there's a sweet treat in the near future ;)
And I'll stop with Harrys insecurities now, the cupboard thing was the last, I promise... Or... No, no, I'll stop! :D
There will be no slash in this story, so no Lupin/Snape, don't think that'd be a good thing for their relationship with Harry. But You ca see Aurora is becoming a more prominent character - how do you like her?
What do you guys think about Sev's order for Lupin to stay clear of Harry? I don't want to mess with your perception, so I'm not going to add why I did it like that.
I'm looking forward to your comments!