Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9

Harry's Potions Project was coming along slowly. He had found a couple of potions that burned an appropriate amount to be used, but now had to see if the fumes that resulted had any effect. It was a slow going process with many boring tests and it was quite annoying to always have to choose which one of his two best friends would join him this time. Mostly it was Ron, because Hermione was so busy with school work and Buckbeak's trial coming up. She refused to talk to Ron, who still thought Crookshanks had eaten his rat. And she wouldn't let Harry help her for the Hippogryff's trial: "You have enough to do as it is!" Harry thought she was a fine one to talk about having too much to do, but wisely kept his mouth shut. Life had taken a turn to the boring as he was coped up with his father most of the time.

He loved his Dad, he really did, but the man could be insanely annoying. As soon as Harry entered the dungeons, it was "Did you practice for Transfiguration, Minerva thinks if you put your mind to it you could lift your grade up to an Exceeds Expectations. Do you have homework? No? Then practice what you learned today, I don't want you lazing around all the time!"

Harry barely managed not to roll his eyes at his father. Having a teacher as a Dad was going to be such a pain! And then there was obviously Potions. Snape couldn't refrain from stuffing him behind a cauldron the first chance he got. He seemed to think that would help him stay occupied, but Harry thought all the Potions lessons he regularly had were quite enough. He had already had a few rows with his father about this topic. So he would have dearly liked to postpone going down to his father's quarters in favour of research, but Hermione wouldn't have it. So it had turned out that he didn't have to fake the look of annoyance he had to show when going down there.

In his spare time – or when he was supposed to be revising – Harry's mind had developed the tendency to wander to a certain black haired Seeker. He caught himself dreaming of her on several occasions. Quite innocent dreams, of her admiration and friendship mainly. And when he saw her in the corridors he couldn't help but stare, occasionally even craning his neck. But this had ceased when he was caught by a surprised looking, wide-eyed Lupin and turned scarlet. For some reason this had elicited furious whispers from his classmates Parvati and Lavender. As Harry thought them quite silly, he ignored it and soon forgot.

"Oh, its horrible!", Hermione said and sat down beside Harry, who jumped a little. He had been staring at Cho and blushed, but soon realized that Hermione hadn't noticed. She adjusted her bag and turned towards dinner. Harry saw Ron sitting down on the opposite side of the table and rolled his eyes at him.

"What's wrong?"

"Buckbeak!", she said miserably and showed Harry a tear stained note that said Buckbeak's hearing didn't end well and he would be executed. Harry's mouth opened in shock.

"But how can this be?", Harry asked her "You helped him."

Hermione looked even worse at his words "I know! That's all I've got from him. I want to go down today and visit but I'm not sure I'll be able to with all the security."

"Well, I surely won't be!", Harry moped "Snape's going to strap me to a chair the moment he hears of that plan."

Hermione gave him a sympathetic look "I'll tell you all about it tomorrow, alright?"

Harry shrugged moodily and said "Take Ron with you."

Hermione's sympathy vanished in a second "No."

"Hermione...", he pleaded

"No! He hasn't said sorry."

"Well, yeah, but you do realize...", she glared at him and he ended lamely "Nevermind."

After dinner Harry went up to Ron and started talking before he could say something, as Harry could see in his eyes it would be something stupid and hurtful "Listen! Buckbeak is going to be executed."

That wiped the look from Ron's face "Oh Merlin!"

"Yeah. Hermione's going down to Hagrid's today to ask what happened at the trial, because I obviously can't."

"I want to go too!", Ron said immediately, with a whine in his voice.

"Check that out with Hermione...", Harry said, looking alarmed, Ron pouted

"Can you at least come with me now?"

"To go where?"

"Up to Divination, I forgot my book."

"Up to North tower?", Harry whined, after the whole day on his feet, he had no desire to walk up all those stairs

"You spent dinner with Hermione.", Ron said angrily "But go down to your Dad if you'd rather."

Harry sighed at that. He didn't want to face his Dad-turned-teacher-monster and he didn't want Ron angry at him. He shrugged and followed Ron up the stairs.

"How's divination going anyway?"

"Boring as hell. Hermione was right to quit.", Ron said "You're not even in her class and she goes on about you in every lesson."

"Really?", Harry asked surprised, Ron rolled his eyes.

"'The most unfortunate one beneath the ceiling of our ancient home'", he cited "'Death knocks on the door of the scarred child'. Crap like that."

"Err... You don't reckon..."

"Harry, mate, she's barmy. You heard McGonagall: she divines a death per year, its her thing."

Harry still felt queasy hearing things like that about himself, when a murderer was after him "You don't think she'll say something when she sees me...?"

Ron shrugged unconcerned and when he saw the look Harry gave him added "Stay down then, I'll just go in and out. Be back in a sec."

With that he was climbing up, leaving Harry behind with their bags. Harry waited, impatient to leave the tower as fast as possible, when he heard Ron's girlish cry. Harry jumped and was on the ladder so fast he barely had time to think. Last time Sirius Black had barely spared Ron's life, this time... No, Harry wouldn't allow it! But the moment he ran into the room it was a woman in bangles and shawls who was holding onto Ron. Harry had seen her before in the school, she was one of the teachers, but she seemed... weird now. She rasped:

"It will happen tonight. The Dark Lord lies alone and friendless, abandoned by his followers. His servant has been chained these twelve years. Tonight, before midnight... the servant will break free and set out to rejoin his master. The Dark Lord will rise again with his servant's aid, greater and more terrible than ever he was. Tonight... before midnight... the servant... will set out... to rejoin... his master..."

She let go of Ron and coughed. Ron stumbled backwards and looked wide eyed at Harry, Harry stared back, realizing that it wasn't usual for her to do that.

"Something wrong, Mr. Weasley?", she asked, when she stopped coughing and he shook his head frantically.

"Book.", he croaked and cleared his throat "I just wanted to get my book back."

Trelawney blinked at him, surprised and Ron turned away, grabbing Harry by the wrist and pulling him to the ladder.

"Is that... Harry Potter?", they heard her ask as they scrambled to get down quickly. They picked up their bags and ran, Harry asking "What the hell was that?"

"I have no idea.", Ron said, sounding scared "That never happened before! She didn't seem to remember what she said either. But you heard her right?"

"I heard her alright!", Harry gasped "The Dark Lord returns... was that a... a prophecy?"

"But she's a fraud!", Ron said desperately, slowing down and taking shallow breaths.

"That sounded genuine to me.", Harry answered, breathing hard as well and stopping beside Ron, who looked scared and fidgety.

"What should we do?"

"We need to tell someone, she obviously has no idea.", Harry said.

"Tell what to whom?", they heard a well known voice and spun around to face Professor Snape. Harry felt relieved to the point of wanting to hug his father and surprised when he heard the same relief in Ron's voice "Professor Snape!"

His Dad raised his eyebrow and looked between them "What is the matter with you two? Running in the halls and you, Harry, should be back down in my quarters."

"I know.", Harry said, waving the remark away and stepping up "Listen, Dad. Trelawney just made a prediction."

Snape scowled and corrected "Professor Trelawney, yes. She does that a lot."

"No!", Ron said desperately "A real one."

"How would you know the difference?", Snape asked derisively.

"Her eyes were all misty and her voice was all different... raspy sort of.", Harry said, trying to make his father understand "And she didn't remember what she said afterwards."

Snape stared at him a moment, then said "Come with me. Mr. Weasley, you go back straight to the tower. No detour."

Ron nodded, looking hesitant, but then left.

Snape led him, not down to the dungeons but to Dumbledore's office. They drove up the spiral stairs and Snape tucked at his shirt, completely unconcerned. Harry batted his hands away with a frown. Severus knocked politely while Harry fidgeted beside him.

"Come in, my boys.", Dumbledore answered and they entered. Snape closed the door and the headmaster offered them seats. "What can I do for you?"

"Harry seems to be under the impression to have witnessed a prophecy today."

"I am not under any impression!", Harry said, going red with anger "Trelawney made a prediction, a real one to Ron. I saw it."

"Professor, Harry. Even if she does not teach you.", Dumbledore corrected calmly "May I see the memory?"

"Err...", Harry said confused and saw his father nod.

"Close your eyes and think of the memory.", his father ordered a bit harsher than usual, probably because he was annoyed at Harry's disrespectful outburst and put his wand to his temple. Harry obliged and thought hard about a few minutes before, when Trelawney was telling them about the Dark Lord. When he opened his eyes again, there was a silvery thread hanging from the wand and his father deposited it into a basin, that Dumbledore must have brought to the desk.

"Remain still, while we examine, please.", Dumbledore requested and then nodded to Snape, they both dipped their nosed into the fluid gas and went rigid. Harry stared at them and was relieved to see they were still breathing. They looked like absurd statues, of people who had fallen asleep into their bowl of soup. They stayed like that for a little while until life jerked their bodies again and they raised their heads. Snape looked questioningly at Dumbledore.

"What do you think?"

"Ah!", Dumbledore said and sat down, offering Snape a seat with a gesture "I believe a pay raise is in order for dear Sybill. Two real predictions to date."

Severus stiffened beside Harry.

"What shall we do?"

"What does it mean?"

Snape and Harry asked at the same time, Dumbledore smiled at them.

"I believe the best course of action is for Harry to remain with you at all times. And I do mean all times, Severus.", Snape nodded seriously, the headmaster turned to Harry "It means that tonight Sirius Black will reveal himself and will probably stop hunting you in favour of seeking out his master."

Harry looked at them wide eyed "Then why should I hide?"

"Because we cannot be sure.", Dumbledore said, cutting off an angry remark of his Potions Master "If he leaves today he will most certainly try one last time to reach you."

Harry looked troubled at that but nodded obediently. If he had to face Sirius Black tonight, he would feel a lot better with his father at his side.


Snape did not talk to Harry or try to occupy him. Paler than usual, he sent Harry to his room. Harry heard him call a house elf and request for it to give something to Remus. Harry went curiously to his door and listened with his ear pressed to it as the House elf popped back and said

"Sorry, sir, Master Potions Master, sir.", Harry rolled his eyes at that "But Master Lupin is not being in his rooms, sir."

"Then find him, wherever he is. This is urgent.", Harry heard his father answer with no little amount of annoyance, his stress leaking into his short temper with the elf. Harry felt bad for it but shook the feeling away. The elf had to find Uncle Remus to give him the Wolfsbane, this was no joking matter!

"He is leaving the grounds master.", the elf replied "Elves is not allowed off grounds."

Silence followed this pronouncement "Very well, leave elf."

Harry heard the popping away sound and then his father's footsteps. It sounded like he was handling paper, when he suddenly exclaimed "Damn it!" and Harry heard his rushed footsteps out of the room and a door slamming. Harry opened the door and looked around. Parchment was still lying on the table and Harry went up to it.

It was the Marauders Map, Harry realized and looked over it. He could see his father leaving the castle at top speed and labels that read "Sirius Black", "Hermione Granger", "Peter Pettigrew" and "Ronald Weasley" clustered together on the grounds. Harry's heart stopped. His friends had wanted to go down to Hagrids and had run into Sirius Black!

Without thinking about it, Harry rushed out after his father. While he was running up the stairs of the sleeping castle, something silvery tried to rush past him and acting on his Seeker reflexes he caught it. It was his invisibility cloak! Thanking his father for summoning it, even if he had done so for himself, Harry pulled it on and left the castle. He rushed up to the point where he had seen his friends on the map and saw his father entering a hole underneath the Womping Willow. Harry followed, pressing the knot the way he had done. Slowly and carefully he lowered himself into the passage and listened. His father's footsteps were loud, which made him realize that he was in too much of a rush to sneak up to Black. Harry disregarded caution as well and ran up the passage. When he finally entered the House he could hear the stairs creaking lightly under his father's feet, it seemed like Snape had finally started using caution. Harry heard people talking in angry voices above and followed. He reached the landing where his father was standing in front of a closed door, listening. Harry didn't have to walk up to it to hear the conversation.

"He's here Remus, he's here!", a man said urgently

"Harry is with Professor Snape!", Hermione shrieked triumphantly and Harry saw Snape's back stiffen at that "You are never going to get him!"

"Get him? Get him?! You think I want Harry? Ha!", Black gave a bark of laughter "I only want to catch one wizard, one person only, who deserves death more than anything."

"How can this be, Sirius?", they heard Professor Lupin's voice, disturbed but still remaining calm.

"They chose the wrong guy.", Black answered miserably "It was all my fault. I thought, no one would think of little Peter. Hiding the truth in plain sight. I was their best man, Harry's godfather, James was like a brother to me. Who better to make Secret Keeper than me, right? But it was too obvious. We took Peter, because if they came for me, if they tortured me, they would never get the answers, see? And why would anybody ever think of him?"

Silence followed, until Remus calmly said "Its the rat? Its him?"

"Yes!", Sirius said impatiently "You don't have to believe me, Moony. Just transform him back!"

"Give him here, Ronald."

"No!", Ron answered "You are both insane! Scabbers has been in my family for..."

"...12 years? He misses a toe, doesn't he? He cut it off when he framed me. They only ever found..."

"One finger.", several people gasped at once.

"Give him to them.", Hermione said suddenly "The spell won't hurt a real animal and if it doesn't work, we'll find out the truth tonight."

Ron seemed to have agreed because seconds after that they heard a bang, like something heavy falling onto the floor. Silence followed again and then a new voice.

"Remus, Sirius... my old friends."

"Friends?", Sirius shrieked, sounding like a madman "I'll show you the friendship you deserve."

There were angry steps and Remus presumably held him back as he said "Not like this, Sirius. Listen to me! We will bind him, bring him to the dementors, free you. Harry deserves the truth, he deserves his godfather back."

"Harry.", Sirius said weekly "Harry has Snape now."

Severus jerked at that but didn't move otherwise.

"He has taken sweet, poor Harry, Sirius!", Peter squeaked "We should take him, we were James' friends. Why should Snivelous have dear Harry? He looks so much like his father..."

"SHUT UP!", Remus and Sirius roared at the same time and from the gagging sound that came after that, Remus must have made sure Peter didn't finish the sentence.

"Harry needs you.", Remus said to Sirius, annoyance still obvious in his voice "Severus has done a lot for him, but he has been through a lot as well. The Dursleys... they were horrible. Harry needs everyone he can get."

"He is such a sweet boy.", Sirius whispered "I played with him on the grounds, you know? As Snuffles. He looks like a carbon copy of James, his face, his laughter, his hair. Only those beautiful green eyes are his mother's. When I saw him with Snape... They really care for each other, don't they?"

"They are good for each other, yes Sirius. I'm glad you can see that.", Remus agreed "I heard the Weasley twins talk about you, that is why I came here. They told me of a great big dog that plays with them and other students once in a while and how he really likes Harry. I knew it was you and that you couldn't be dangerous if you had never taken the chance to grab him then. I needed to hear what it means from you, that's why I came here tonight."

"I saw the rat with the children and they were bringing him back into the castle. I needed to do something, Remus."

Severus took a deep breath and opened the door at that. They all turned and stared at him. He in turn stared at Peter at his feet.

"You little cretin.", he said softly, his voice dangerously low "You betrayed the Potters. You were the one who told the Dark Lord where they were. And when he vanished you hid like the dirty little rat you are. You stole my son's parents, you forced him to endure 10 years of life with the Dursleys. You piece of utter crap."

Snape stared down his long nose at the terrified Pettigrew, quivering under his murderous gaze. Severus rapidly flexed his fingers as if he was aching to punch Peter.

"If there weren't children present I would most likely kill you now, because we only need your body to confirm that you did not die 12 years ago, right? But you know what, you bastard? I can send them away, and then between the three of us, we will see how much we leave for the dementors."

Sirius looked giddy with excitement at the prospect, he stepped forward. But at that moment Snape's gaze fell onto him and he stopped dead.

"I wish, Black, we could. But none of us can go to Azkaban. Even though I wish it wasn't so, Harry needs everyone he can get, that sadly includes you. We will bring the rat into the castle unharmed – mostly."

At that he kicked Peter, so he fell to the side whimpering.

"Harry, take off the cloak.", Severus said and Harry flinched at that. So his father had known all along that he was there. He followed orders, but stayed outside. Black's eyes turned round and big, when he saw him and he opened his mouth "Harry!"

"Don't!", Snape warned and held out a hand to stop Black. "Don't take too many liberties, Black."

Sirius shot him an ugly look and Snape rephrased.

"I mean, he does not know you. Go slow."

At this he lowered his hand and turned to Lupin "I would appreciate it if you could take this vermin up to the school, I will help Mr. Weasley."

Remus nodded and whispered "Thank you, Severus."

Those words contained Remus gratitude for all the trust Snape had shown him for not bursting in and firing hexes blindly at. As well as how he was containing his feelings for Peter in favour of aiding and protecting the children. Snape only nodded and cast a few spells at Weasley to stabilize him enough to be moved.

"Harry.", Black said again, coming up a few steps to him "You heard everything?" Harry nodded "I was Black, I mean the dog."

Harry gulped "Then it was him all the time? He was there in the same dormitory with me for three years, why didn't he...?"

"Voldemort was weak, there was no one to go to. He would only hurt you for his own gain, Harry.", Sirius said, coming up to him and leading him out by the elbow, while Lupin hovered Pettigrew behind them. Snape followed with the two other students, supporting Ron's right side, while Hermione had his arm around her shoulders.

Pettigrew made pitiful whimpering sounds all the way through the tunnel, coughing and crying. Remus was getting irritated but as the most level headed of them all, refrained from kicking him. They emerged from the other side of the tunnel, Sirius helping to heave Ron out of it, with Snape pushing him up. After Ron had ascended they both gave Hermione a hand. Snape was about to emerge too, ignoring Black's hand that had reached for him, when the children all gave cries of surprise and shock. Remus was turning into a werewolf in front of their very eyes. His eyes turning black, the snout forming from his mouth. His wand lay abandoned in the grass, while Pettigrew had landed hard on the floor. The students stumbled backwards, trying to help and support Ron, while Sirius jumped at and held Remus. Severus pushed himself up fast and half crawled, half ran to hide the children behind his back. He felt one of Harry's hands grip his side tightly and a whispered "Daddy?"

Snape jerked when he saw Pettigrew transforming, but his priority was not the rat but his own son's and students' safety. He held them firmly in place while Sirius transformed into the big black dog and chased the transforming werewolf into the forest. When they were all gone only ropes were left of Pettigrew.


Snape brought the children back into the castle, leaving them with Madam Pomfrey and Minerva under strict orders not to let them out of sight. He sent his Patronus to Dumbledore before he went out to the grounds again, summoning and pocketing Lupins wand. It did not take him long to find Sirius, transformed back, bleeding and hurting near the lake. He knelt beside him and stared, Sirius miserably opened his eyes and looked back.

"Snape", he said slowly and Severus scowled.

"You made my life a living hell back then Black.", he whispered "More than once it was you who initiated the attacks. You made sure I stayed firmly on the other side, you resented my friendship to Lily. Tell me, why should I let you live, why should I give you a chance to be in Harry's life? To poison my child against me? Why should I not get rid of you myself?"

Sirius looked back calmly and then he smiled, a true, genuine smile "You won't, Snape."

"How can you be so sure?", Snape said, scowling and affronted. Did Black think of him as so weak? He had been a Death Eater, he could kill, if need be.

"Because I have seen you with Harry.", Sirius said and swallowed "At first I did not want to see, did not want to hear. I could not believe anyone, least of all you, should be allowed to replace James. But then I saw something with a startling clarity that I had not seen before. You were not the same man, the boy you had been twelve years before. I saw what Harry had done to you and that was something you cannot shake. You cannot stay with someone so pure and good and not be affected, Snape. He has changed you. You will not hurt me."

And now that Sirius had said it, it was impossible to turn back. Silently Snape conjured up a stretcher and levitated Sirius onto it. He had gone up to the castle a few paces, when Dumbledore burst from the entrance, striding forward.

"Severus! I will take him from you, do not worry, the children have filed me in.", Albus said, a worried frown creasing his brow and took Sirius off him "Go, see to your son."

Severus nodded and left Sirius after a short glance and nod at the man he had believed to be his enemy.


When he returned to the Hospital Wing he was in time to see Minerva dismiss Miss Granger. "Ah, Severus! Be so kind as to take your... To take Mr. Potter with you."

Severus nodded and waved Harry to his side. He walked in a fast pace until they reached their rooms and then closed them firmly behind Harry.

"How's Sirius?", Harry asked immediately "And Remus?"

"Both your uncles will make a full recovery.", Severus assured "I am not sure where Lupin is at the moment, but I think he is roaming the grounds. Black is with Professor Dumbledore."

"I'm glad!", Harry sighed

"How is young Mr. Weasley?"

"He will be alright, Madam Pomfrey said.", Harry answered, going to sit down.

"No.", Severus interrupted calmly and crossed his arms "You will remain standing."

Harry looked at him confused, but that sentence was shortly explained.

"Why did you leave the castle when I and the headmaster had told you to stay here?"

"Actually, he had said to stay with you and you were..."

"Don't even try it, Harold.", Snape said, scowling at him "You knew perfectly well you were supposed to stay indoors. You saw the map and followed me, you took the cloak to hide."

Harry nodded and tried to look repentant, which he was not in the slightest. Severus sighed and pressed the bridge of his nose.

"I am tired, Harry. Your punishment is pending until I can clear my head."

Harry looked up surprised and worried "Everything alright, Papa?"

Severus sat down in an armchair and pointed at the sofa "No. In reality I have to confess something to you."

Harry blinked and sat down.

"Something your godfather said to me just now... It made me realize that I should not keep this information from you, in fact I never should have.", Severus said, folding his hands in his lap "I never even realized myself why I was hiding it from you. But now I know. I was afraid of your reaction, what you would think of me and if you would judge me. You have forgiven me for my role in the Potter's death, but not even you could be so forgiving..."

"Dad...?", Harry prompted and Severus realized he was rambling.

"Yes, well. I will get to the point directly: I have been taking revenge on the Dursleys."

Harry stared at him, then stared some more. The information seemed to just bounce off him "What?"

Severus sighed, not able to meet Harry's eyes "I took revenge on them for their treatment of you. The more I saw how it affected you, how you suffered, I let my frustration out on them. I made them miserable."

"What did you do?", Harry asked horrified.

"I... messed with their heads.", Snape gulped and closed his eyes "I took your cloak and hid beneath it, I went up to them and... whispered things to them. Made them feel bad, listen to things they did not want to hear. It made them nervous and... scared and miserable. I believed I had the right to do that, I believed that I was giving you justice."

Snape forced himself to look up and saw tears in Harry's eyes. He had put them there, it was his fault.

"Harry... I..."

"I don't want to see you.", even though his voice was thick with emotion, his message was clear. Trembling, Harry stood up and locked himself into his room. Severus pressed his lips together and stared at that door. Had he, with his foolish thirst for vengeance, lost Harry's respect, his childish admiration for his adopted father, maybe even his love?

Chapter End Notes:
Yeah... Fast forward to the action ;) There was not really much else I needed to say in this story, so I decided to get to the showdown directly. Next chapter will be the end of the story! This series seems to have a thing of not having too many chapters :D But it feels just right. So guys, how did you like my take on the big reveal? I let Pettigrew escape, because he is instrumental in the rebirth of Voldemort and as I said I tried to stay close to canon. What do you think about the end of this chapter? Can you guess why Harry is so upset with Snape for the way he treated the Dursleys?