Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Author's Note: Thanks for all the support everyone! I'm trying my best to improve my skills, so keeping reviewing your suggestions. And here's another chapter which includes a big plot twist!
Chapter Five



Dumbledore felt like everything which he had worked for was breaking apart, crumbling into dust. He tried to appear nonchalant, but the way back to his office was a painful, slow journey.

Harry seemed to be going through odd changes-but why?

XXX

Harry hated Umbridge so much...she was an animal, no worse. He had had to endure a lesson with her taunting half-breeds, indirectly referring to Lupin.

"Just because someone's a half-breed doesn't mean that they're evil!" Harry had shouted. "You can't just undermine everyone!" He had resisted the urge to add, look at your own self.

He had gotten another detention for that.

Now, several minutes after the class, Harry soothed his hand as he thought about the painful detention he would have to go through. He couldn't go to that dentition, it would just make the condition of his hand worse.

Ron bellowed that he had to tell somebody but Harry still refused. He wasn't going to go down that easily.

When Harry approached Snape's office for his Occlumency lesson that evening, he wore his glasses even though they made things blurry. He didn't want Snape to ask any awkward questions.

He knocked on the door and suddenly Snape opened it. Harry forced himself to look into those black eyes.

"Oh. So you came, Potter," Snape said slowly. He gave Harry room to pass. Harry uncomfortably noticed that Snape was looking apprehensive.

This was more than Harry could bear.

"Er," Harry stumbled over his next words. "I'm-er-sorry for my-...well, outburst last lesson. I was acting stupid. But it won't happen again so-"

"You don't need to apologise for that," Snape said, matter-of-factly. "It was not your fault."

"Yeah, well, I know, but-"

"That's enough," Snape cut him off. "Stop rambling thoughtlessly for once and ready yourself,"

"Yes, sir," Harry muttered. He ran a hand through his hair, worriedly and unconsciously. Hurriedly, he tried to form some sort of resistance.

Snape half-heartedly raised his wand in his hand and then muttered: "Legilimens,"

Harry could suddenly see himself facing Voldemort in the graveyard, but he tried his best to stay calm. He could see Snape standing in front of him, blank and pale as ever, and suddenly Harry felt himself sputtering, "Protego!", trying to protect himself.

It seemed that Snape had not anticipated this, because the man was taken off-guard and Harry's mind was suddenly teeming with unfamiliar memories:

A tall, lanky-haired young man was taking the Dark Mark, a small boy with odd clothes was shouting at a group of children who seemed to be bullying him, a teenager was scowling in his bedroom, while strange shouts came from outside the door...

And suddenly, he was pushed away so forcefully that he felt himself falling onto the floor, a sharp pain blossoming in his knees.

He gasped and looked up to see Snape looking furious, actually trembling.

"You impertinent, disrespectful..." The man's voice had a dangerous, furious edge.

"Sorry," Harry really meant it, but he was much too scared to make it sound too sincere. He quickly scrambled up to his feet but Snape was still looking angry.

"Let's try again, Potter," The careful caution that Snape had adopted towards him seemed to have vanished and his teeth were gritted. "Since you are so proud of your abilities-"

"I didn't mean to-"

"Legilimens!"

And Harry was forced to relive a memory of fighting with Ron and worrying about the Triwizard Tournament until he was agitatedly trying to block Snape out. But Snape drew out himself.

"Lazy, insolent! You never work hard enough!"

Harry resisted the urge to admit that he hadn't been ready and had blocked Snape the try before.

"Look, Professor," Harry's temper rose. "I know you're angry that I saw your memories but I never meant to, I just wanted to block y-"

"Oh, so you think I am shouting at you because of that? You haven't improved at all!" Snape snarled. "What is the use of me teaching you for so many weeks if you never improve?-"

"I'm trying!"

"I have told you to practise numerously," Snape said, not relenting. "Now get out of my office and come back next week,"

Harry bit his tongue down on a retort and looking sullenly at the floor as he walked to the door.

He turned around once, upset that Snape hated him once more because of one, stupid thing which had happened. The man was not looking at him but was already back at his desk, apparently trying to break his quill on the paper.

The door shut softly but Snape thought he heard a depressed-sounding sigh.

XXX

Harry was definitely feeling pissed off at finishing whatever small, awkward understanding he and Snape had shared.

The man hadn't been very fair though-he hadn't meant to peep in. The memories had been awkward, the teenager scowling as angry shouts sounded from outside the room, the small dark-haired child yelling at the surrounding children, wearing the strangest clothes Harry had ever seen, while the children looked surprised or appalled.

But worst of all had been when that young man had taken the Dark Mark. Harry couldn't push out the image of Snape, looking much younger than he did at the time, thrusting out his arm and allowing the Mark to be burned in so nonchalantly...

Harry shivered. Maybe Snape really was evil, really was a sadist...Why had Dumbledore given him a second chance then? Harry breathed out.

It didn't matter now. He had to trust Snape, no matter how unfathomable and unfair he was.

XXX

Harry had been feeling awful and sickly over the course of the next few days. Not only did his head hurt, but the scars on his hand throbbed and the blood shone.

Umbridge was a sadist, but Harry knew that he couldn't let her have the satisfaction of his pain. When leaving her office last night, Umbridge had asked him if he had learned his lesson. Harry had smiled sarcastically and said, "Yes Professor. Very well."

She had been affronted and he had fled before she could have taken any more points or assigned another detention.

But now he felt really weird. Harry used the wall for support. His hair was getting too long, he needed to have a haircut soon...Harry wondered why such a random thought had entered his mind. He felt dizzy and ill, as if he would puke any second.

"Are you okay, Harry?" Hermione asked, worriedly. "You look weak."

"I'm fine, I think I've just gotten a cold or something,"

"Did Umbridge do anything?"

"Nothing besides the usual," Harry muttered.

Ron looked concerned. "Hey, mate, why don't you go rest. You look really pale."

"Guys, I'm fine-" Harry argued but there was suddenly a swooping sensation in his body and the next thing he knew, he had fallen to his knees and was gasping.

"Harry!" Hermione shouted, but darkness consumed him before he could reply.

XXX

When Harry opened his eyes, he saw Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore staring down at him with great concern.

Tears were in her eyes and Dumbledore looked rather ill.

"Where am I?" He murmured, looking around the room. He was in the Hospital Wing.

"Should I-" Madam Pomfrey began.

"No," Dumbledore said it so firmly that even Harry was startled. "It is simply a...malfunction. Put the glamours back on."

"But how did-"

"Poppy, I insist you do as I say, please," Dumbledore said coldly.

"Do what?" Harry asked, trying to sit up. He caught a glimpse of himself in a bottle of medicine and saw his bright green eyes reflected back at him, his face looking oddly unfamiliar.

Madam Pomfrey waved her wand and Harry felt his face contort.

"What did you-" he began to ask anxiously.

"Ssh now, Potter." Madam Pomfrey said. "You've had a shock, it seems. And-er-" She glanced at the Headmaster who sternly shook his head. "Well, you're fine now. You can get up."

Harry struggled to get up. He saw himself in the Hospital Wing mirror, noticing that he looked reasonably like himself, except that his glasses were missing.

"Here," As if she could read his thoughts, Madam Pomfrey handed Harry his round glasses.

"Er, thanks. Um-what happened?"

"It appears you fainted, Potter. I knew you weren't eating well enough-look at the size of you, I can see your ribs through your robes! You will be having a healthy diet from now on and if I catch you missing meals I will be forced to-"

"Yes, yes, Madam Pomfrey," Dumbledore cut her off, exasperated. "I am sure that Harry will be more careful in the future."

"What happened to me? I couldn't have just fainted like that! What's going on?" Harry felt very nervous.

Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore exchanged furtive and worried looks.

"We will talk about this later, Harry. I advise you to go to your common room-your friends wil be very worried, I am sure."

But Harry wanted answers. "We can talk now, Sir," He said, trying to sound polite but sounding impertinent all the same.

"Later, Harry," Dumbledore said, dismissively. "Now please go to your common room. I want to discuss something with Madam Pomfrey alone."

Harry glared, but knowing that it was useless to argue at the moment, left abruptly.

XXX

"Severus?" Dumbledore looked nervous.

Snape was standing at the doorway, shifting from foot to foot. "I want to talk, if you please, Dumbledore,"

Dumbledore looked anxious. "Later, Severus, I have an immense amount of work pending,"

"I'm sure it can wait, Dumbledore. I'm certain that you will want to discuss the matter too." Severus said, impatiently. He tried to take a seat but Dumbledore glared at him, which was a rather rare occurrence. Snape was taken aback.

"Severus, we are very close friends, I am sure-but I am still Headmaster and I wish for you to come back at another time,"

Severus stood his ground. "Why are you avoiding me?"

Dumbledore sighed irritably.

"I'm not leaving, not this time. What happened to him?"

"Pardon?"

"What happened to Potter? I want to know-I heard the rumours and apparently he-"

"Rumours, Severus? That isn't how you operate, is it?-assumptions and far-fetched tales are beneath you."

"I know something happened!"

"What happened, Severus? I think you are taking it too seriously,"

"He dropped into unconsciousness, didn't he? Didn't he?" Severus demanded. He took a seat. "He did, don't you deny it Dumbledore! I have asked the matron-I am sure you have details as to how-"

"I am busy," Dumbledore flushed, looking angry. "If you do not leave I am afraid that I will have to-"

"Apply force?" Snape sneered. "Please. I'm not leaving. I want an answer. Then I won't come back and disturb you."

"What is it that you want to know?" Dumbledore asked, an edge creeping into his voice.

"Why did he faint?"

"How am I supposed to know that, Severus?"

"Dumbledore, Poppy told me something happened to his features. I've noticed it lately, actually. His eyes are getting better, and his hair is not as repulsively untidy. He looks as if-"

"What did Poppy tell you, Severus?" Dumbledore asked, anxiously.

"She told me that he looked different when they brought him into the infirmary, almost as if he had changed into someone else," Snape suddenly froze, frightened. Was Harry turning into some evil Dark Wizard-or-or-transforming into the Dark Lord himself, gaining his features?

Dumbledore took a deep breath. "I'm afraid that all boundaries have been crossed. After this...incident, there is nothing left to hide anymore. It cannot be hidden,"

"What?" Severus was perplexed. Was Potter actually turning into Tom Riddle?

Dumbledore lifted sad blue eyes to meet Snape's.

"This may come as a shock to you. It is a long story and I cannot hide it, not when there is nothing to hide, since the charms are wearing off."

"What are you speaking about?"

Dumbledore gave a rueful smile. "Harry is not a Potter,"