Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Broken Wings

Harry woke up to the sounds of hushed voices. He wondered where he was. His limbs felt heavy, and he tried to remember what happened. He remembered Professor McGonagall coming. He remembered Professor Snape falling unconscious at her hand. And he remembered Draco staying with him. Harry tried to open his eyes, but couldn't.

"Professor Snape, someone, anyone, help me!" Harry panicked when he realized he was totally incapacitated.

Poppy walked into the wing and saw Minerva standing next to Severus' bed, talking.

"Minerva," Poppy said. "I think it's about time you take the spell off of the boys."

"Oh, yes, of course," Minerva replied hastily, and she waved her wand, canceling the previous binding spell. Harry sat up immediately, but realized what a bad idea that was only moments after he swung his legs off the bed. He felt dizzy and his stomach tried to rebel. Harry moaned and held his temples, because his head felt like it was going to explode at any minute.

Minerva stepped over to Harry and placed a hand on his shoulder. Harry flinched away, and Minerva scowled fiercely as she took her hand away. She wanted Moody drawn and quartered for what he done to her student - to both her students.

When Harry's vertigo had passed, he looked up and saw his Head of House brooding. Snape looked over at him curiously from the next bed over as he propped himself up on one elbow. Harry noticed that Snape still wore the collar, and hesitatingly, found that he did as well. Unconsciously, Harry glanced around to find Draco, and saw the blond boy on the other side of him, though Draco still seemed to be unconscious. Perhaps he was faking, Harry wondered.

"How long have we been here?" Harry asked quietly, and he seemed to pose his question to Severus.

"An hour at the most," Severus replied calmly. "When will the Headmaster be arriving?" he asked Minerva.

"I haven't told him that you're back, yet," Minerva confessed. Severus' brow creased.

"And why not?'' Severus asked. "There are many things he needs to know."

"Yes, there are," she agreed. "But I need to understand a few things before we call him."

"Listen, Minerva," Severus sounded defeated. "Draco cannot stay here."

Harry looked at Severus, but the professor was not paying Harry any attention. Harry didn't know why Professor Snape didn't worry about him like he worried about Draco, and that hurt him so much, more than he would have expected it to.

"Severus," Minerva said walking over towards his bed. "He will be fine here."

"Don't you understand?" Severus hissed at her. "The Dark Lord will want the boy killed! Hogwarts might be safe enough for Potter - the Death Eaters know better than to harm the boy when he belongs to the Dark Lord - but they'll have no such qualms about Draco! Half of my house, whether out of loyalty or out of fear, will try to kill him. Hogwarts isn't safe for Draco, not without - " he paused a moment, and his voice quieted, " - constant vigilance."

Harry looked over at where Draco, who was still unconscious, was lying. He never knew how dangerous it was for Draco. Harry wished there was something that he could do that would help his new friend.

"Well," Minerva said. "What do you propose?"

"For now, he will stay with me in my chambers."

"And what about classes? You won't be able to watch him while he's in classes." Severus looked over at Draco.

"He won't be going to classes."

"Severus," Minerva's heart was heavy. "You can't keep him prisoner."

Severus looked at Minerva. "I will keep him alive."

Harry lay there and wished that someone would care enough for him the way Professor Snape cared for Draco.

"Will Draco be safe?" Harry asked quietly. Severus eyed the boy coldly, though not cruelly.

"As safe as can be hoped for, I expect," Severus replied, "though you have to keep his whereabouts to yourself. Now, Minerva, if you would kindly inform the Headmaster of our presence here, that would be highly appreciated." With a rustle of her robes and an annoyed snort, she turned and left the infirmary. Severus leaned back against the headboard and laced his fingers behind his head. He watched Harry for a long moment.

"I read your letters to Draco," he said casually.

"What?" Harry gasped.

"Draco was frantic to find you when you disappeared and sent for me," Severus continued calmly. "He showed me the letters to see if we could gather any clues from them. I never expected you to take my calling you an idiot so seriously."

Harry didn't know if he should be hurt that Draco showed the Professor the letters. He guessed a small part of him was relieved that Draco really did try and get help for him. He had been worried that he would just leave him. Harry looked over at Draco and sighed.

"I am an idiot, sir," Harry whispered not looking at his Professor. "Draco wants to change my name, but I don't think I should."

"Well, judging by the fact that you have never respected me, I highly doubt that it is simply my name-calling which has affected you that much," Severus continued in a bored tone. "I suggest you analyze the qualifications of anyone who has used that particular term in reference to you. And whether true or not, don't you think it's cruel to make Draco call you something he doesn't want to call you?"

"But you were right, sir," Harry said looking over at Severus. "Everything you said about me."

"Potter, I..."

"It's alright," Harry slid back down in the bed. "I'm going to..."

"Potter," Severus' voice was stern. "You will sit up and face me. There is a matter that needs understanding. You will talk." Severus left no room for discussion. Harry swallowed and nodded mutely as he sat back up.

"Yes, sir?" he asked meekly.

"If you actually believed what I said, then you are a trifle more of an idiot than I actually anticipated," Severus drawled, hoping Harry would understand the heavily veiled compliment. Apparently he did, because his eyebrows rose into his hairline. "Now, since I'm not an idiot enough to believe that you believed me, as Draco asked, and as you never answered, who did, or does, call you idiot?"

"No one's ever said it to my face," Harry's voice was so low he didn't know if his teacher even heard him.

"Explain." Harry looked up at the Professor.

"I call myself that. Because...I mean just... I..."

"Eloquent as always, Potter."

Harry put his head down, balling his fists on top of his sheet on his lap. How could he explain to Professor Snape that it was comments like that right there? The jibes and insults that he would give him were the only thing that showed that he really did care. And the ones that spoke about loving him or wanting to help him were really out to hurt him. Harry had never felt closer to his Potions Professor than he did then, but he knew that that feeling wouldn't last. Soon classes would resume, they would go back to their old hatred, and he'd be alone again. No more 'The Monster in the Dark,' because Severus would be taking Draco out of classes.

"Potter," Severus said, growing impatient, bringing Harry out of his musing. "You will explain why you call yourself an idiot."

Harry looked over at Draco, and for the first time, he felt jealousy for the blonde headed boy. To have someone fuss over you, unconditionally, that had to be completely wonderful.

"I hardly fuss over Draco," Severus replied calmly. Harry only then realized he had said the last comment aloud. It had been so quiet, he was surprised that Snape caught it.

"Yeah, you do," Harry contradicted sullenly.

"It simply goes to show that you have no idea what fussing is," Severus commented, sounding a bit distracted. "Draco's had it harder growing up that you might have imagined previously - as you may have gathered from certain events in the Shack. I am simply a stable adult role model for him. Nothing more."

"But you love him and you care about him!" Harry objected, feeling tears rising in his eyes. Severus blinked momentarily at the accusation.

"I'm fond of him," Severus finally managed. "Love seems a strong word."

"That's what I mean," Harry said. A lone tear escaped down his face. "To have someone care, that would be a wonderful feeling. I just wish I knew what that felt like."

"If you're asking for my guidance," Severus sighed dramatically, "Draco has practically begged me to do that for you. Alright. Fine. Draco has already endangered himself because of contact with you, and I see no reason to compound the problem with letting you grow up to be an uncivilized barbarian. The Headmaster seems to have been doing an exceptionally poor job of seeing to your extra-curricular education."

"Sir, I..," Harry stopped when the doors to the Infirmary opened. Minerva walked into the room and saw that both Harry and Severus were awake.

"Severus," Minerva said. "I told Albus that you were back. He wants to see you and Harry." Harry put his head down. The last thing he wanted to do was talk to the Headmaster. He sighed and tossed the cover from his lap. He received a shock when his cover came back over his lap.

"I do believe, Mr. Potter, that you were going to lay down and rest," Severus said quietly.

"But sir," Harry started to protest, when Severus leaned down and looked Harry in his eyes.

"Did you, or did you not, ask me just a few minutes ago," Severus said in a whisper so that only Harry could hear, "to be an advocate for you? Well, let me do that. You will stay here. I will talk to the Headmaster. And I will explain what you - what we all - have been through."

Harry looked into those onyx eyes that were baring down deep in his soul, and blinked at him. Severus put his hand on Harry's shoulder and began to lower the boy so that he was laying down in the bed. Severus pulled the cover up to Harry's shoulders.

"Get some rest, Mr. Potter," Severus said, straightening back up.

"Sir," Harry said looking up at his professor, his eyes shinning with un-shed tears. "I'm sorry."

"What is it now, Potter?" Severus sighed, slowly sitting on the edge of the bed.

"I never wanted you to feel that." A lone tear escaped Harry's eyes. Severus looked at the small boy that not a few hours ago was clutching and clinging to him as if his life depended on it. Because his life had depended on it. Understanding showed on Severus' face as he realized what Harry meant. Severus put his hand on Harry's shoulder and gave a gentle, but firm, squeeze.

"Get some rest, Harry." Severus said, getting off the bed. He did not remove his hand from the boy until he was standing.

"But sir," Harry's voice was no louder than a whisper, since he was trying not to cry.

"Harry," Severus voice was a little sterner, but not harsh. "You're tired. That's why you are behaving like this. Everything will be fine. I will see to it. Now, what did I ask you to do?"

"R-rest," Harry said.

"I'll be back later," Severus said.

Harry watched as Professor Snape and McGonagall walked out of the Infirmary. He didn't notice a pair of grey eyes watching the whole thing with a small smile on his face.