Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Within a Yard of Hell

"Harry, we're getting you out of here, now," Severus said. "I don't need you getting in the way. Since even I don't know what's going on anymore." He glared at Minerva. "And you too, Draco." Both of them opened their mouths to argue. "You've done enough. Narcissa, go with them, and keep them safe from any idiots like Dumbledore who feel the need to interfere. The ghosts and the house elves will be at your disposal if you need any help against him." She nodded gratefully at Severus.

"Thank you," she said. Undoubtedly, she wanted to be far away when this battle happened. She would be a liability to both sides.

"Did you really mean what you said back there?" Harry asked quietly.

"What do you mean?" Severus asked.

"When you hit me, and said my father would have been ashamed of me," he continued. "That you didn't care about me." Severus huffed.

"Learn to recognize an act when you see it," Severus admonished. "When you kept talking, I had to up the ante until you believed what you were seeing, since your acting skills were abysmal. "Now hurry and leave."

"We're not going," Harry stated, crossing his arms. Narcissa grabbed both Harry and her son by their hair and marched their protesting forms over to the fireplace. Remus through the powder into the fireplace and called out, "Hogwarts, Severus' chambers!" Then the three figures disappeared.


"Mother, please, you can't keep us here. We have to help," Draco protested as they stepped through the fireplace.

"You will do no such thing," Narcissa said.

She didn't let go of them until she was at the sofa and forcefully sat them down on it. Draco crossed his arms over his chest. He couldn't believe Snape did this. The plan wasn't suppose to go like this. He was suppose to help, not flee.

Narcissa looked at the two teens on the sofa. Her son. He looked so much like his father before the man changed. She loved Lucius. Still did, but he changed when he took the mark. She didn't want that to happen to her child. She was devastated when he took the mark, but when she saw how he didn't want to really follow the Dark Lord, she knew she would be able to stop history repeating itself. That was why she went to Severus for help. She really never wanted to force him to take an Unbreakable Vow, but Bella wouldn't leave it alone. Now seeing how Severus was taking care of her son, she was glad she had gone to him.

Looking over at the black haired child, she could see that he was lost in his own head. Harry sat on the couch, not moving, not saying a word. He didn't even look up or argue. He didn't support Draco's adamant demands to go back. He just sat there.

"Maybe we should trust him," he finally murmured.

"What?" Draco asked.

"Maybe we should trust him," Harry repeated, a little louder this time. "I told you to not come for me, and you didn't listen. Maybe we should just listen this time."

"But what if he needs help?" Draco protested.

"Do you think we'll be the ones to provide it? He can fight better, knowing we're safe here. Didn't you see all the powerful witches and wizards who stepped through the floo? We're nothing compared to an army. We should just wait here."

"And what if - " Draco cut himself off. "And what if he doesn't come back?"

"He will," Narcissa cut in. "He always does."

"Always?" Harry asked.

"Always," Narcissa assured them. "And don't either of you get any stupid ideas, or I will stupefy both of you until this passes."


It didn't take long after Harry and Draco left for the alarms to start sounding. Severus figured that would happen.

"You do realize that in a few moments we will be surround?" Severus said.

"That's why I need to do this," Minerva replied. "Forgive me."

"What?"

Severus was hit from behind. Remus cast a stupefy and Severus hit the wall on the far side of the room. Minerva gave Remus a reproachful look, then went to the Potion Master's side.

"I'm sorry, Severus," Minerva said, kneeling down by an unconscious Severus. "But you can't be seen helping us. Your life is just too important. Even if you don't believe it." She stood up and turned towards Remus.

"Did you have to stun him so hard?"

"It has to be believable," Remus said.

"Alright," Minerva agreed. "Leave him there. Remember: the official story is that Narcissa showed us the floo entrance, and arranged for all this to happen. Severus had nothing to do with the plans at all. He fought with us, but we overpowered him. Got it?" A round of assent went up from her army. "Stun all the death eaters you find. If necessary, wound or kill them."

"What about You-Know-Who?" a small voice asked. It was Neville Longbottom. A few of the students had been permitted to join in the assault.

"We'll have to address that when we get there," Minerva replied.


"And what about the prophecy?" Draco continued. "Don't you have to be the one to defeat the Dark Lord, Harry?"

"Hang the prophecy," Narcissa argued. The longer she could keep them arguing, the safer they were. They weren't running away as long as they were talking.

"Well?" Draco pushed.

"Hang the prophecy," Harry repeated. "I don't care. Someone else can do it. I'm done with this war."


It didn't take long for the door to be blasted and Death Eaters rushing in. Quickly, Minerva cast a disillusionment charm and Protego over Severus' still unconscious form. That way, no one would see him and he would be protected.

For a moment, both sides stood there, staring at each other, wands drawn. Then Minerva cast the first spell. It knocked a death eater on his behind. And then the battle began.

Seconds later hexes and jinxs were flying across the room. It was havoc. Thankfully, the battle was short lived. A few were hurt on both sides; there were no losses. The aurors were able to arrest a few Death Eaters.

"Where is You-Know-Who?" Remus asked as the battle died down.

"I don't know," Minerva answered, frowning in concern. She sent some of the Aurors to do a thorough examination of the mansion. They only turned up a few scared Death Eaters hiding in the corners. There was no Dark Lord.

"We couldn't find any trace of him," one of them said upon their return. "There was no sign of You-Know-Who, or Bellatrix or Rasbastan. All the other known Death Eaters are accounted for."

"That is unfortunate," Minerva said. "Let's get this mission cleaned up." The Aurors apparated to the Ministry with those who were arrested. Minerva, who had Severus levitating behind her, along with Remus, flooed back to Hogwarts. They stumbled into Severus' chambers. When Remus looked up he saw the boys sitting on the couch, with Narcissa's wand drawn against them.

"Oh, it's you," she said, and put the wand away. "Shouldn't you be in the hospital?"

"How deep does the betrayal go?" Minerva asked. "What if Albus ordered Mr. Potter's training? I don't want to take chances with poor Severus." Remus looked uncomfortable. Narcissa motioned the boys to leave the couch, and Severus was laid there.

"Enervate," Narcissa intoned. Severus woke with a start.

"What was that?" he barked at Minerva after a momentary pause. "What happened?"

"We had to make it look like you were still a spy," Minerva explained.

"I stunned you," Remus continued.

"Why'd you do it so damned hard?" Severus growled, rubbing the back of his head as his sat up.

"Believability," Remus explained.

"Of course," Severus snapped back, though his tone belied his skepticism of the answer. "So what happened?" he finally asked asked. "In the battle?"

"Many were captured," Minerva said. "Some got away."

"The Dark Lord?"

"He got away," Remus said. Severus sighed as he leaned back into the sofa.

"Who else got away?" Severus asked, looking at Minerva.

"Bellatrix and her brother." Severus closed his eyes for a minute. Everyone stood around in silence as they waiting for what was to come next.

"Draco," Severus finally said, when he opened his eyes again. "Go pack. Now." Draco paled, and nodded, but didn't question the order. He left the room quickly.

"Where are you going?" Remus asked.

"Into hiding," Severus said, standing up and heading towards his rooms. He was stopped by someone on his arm. He looked over and saw Harry standing next to him. It surprised him a little as he didn't see or hear the child move towards him.

"What about me?"

"You're safe here."

Harry was about to argue that fact but Severus moved away from the boy and headed for his rooms to pack. After a few moments, Severus returned to see that everyone minus Draco was still in his chambers.

"Narcissa," Severus said. "You know I have to do this." Narcissa nodded, tears in her eyes. Harry rushed over to Severus and gripped his robes the same way he did in the shack.

"You can't leave me here. Not alone."

"You will be fine," Severus said, grabbing on to Harry's wrists. "But Draco and I will not. Not with the Dark Lord still out there."

"But I won't either," Harry begged, watching the man's face expectantly. "Look what happened already. In the Shack. The raid. What if I'm just captured again?"

"The Dark Lord won't be able to create another successful raid on Hogwarts for quite some time," Severus dismissed. He guided Harry to the sofa, and the boy sat down. "If only the Lestrange siblings escaped with him, there are too few loose Death Eaters to do much of anything. The Dark Lord will have to free the ones who are captured or recruit from the children, neither of which will happen while you are still in school, Potter." Harry hesitated for a moment, but Snape didn't release his wrists right away.

"Was it something I did?" Harry asked, dropping his gaze to the floor. "Was it my 'daddy issues'? I'm sorry."

"Hardly, and no," Severus replied, dropping to one knee in front of Harry. His gaze slid over to Narcissa, Minerva, and Remus, daring them to say anything about what he did or was about to do. "You didn't do anything, and I would advise you to forget everything I said at Malfoy Manor. Except when I asked you to trust me. Don't forget that. And I'm asking you to trust me again. Do you think you can do that?" Harry nodded, looking up and meeting Snape's gaze.

"I think I can," he said. "Don't forget me."

"That would be impossible," Snape almost laughed. He let Harry's wrists go, and Harry wrapped his arms around Snape's neck. Hesitantly, Severus returned the hug. Then, after the three second time limit, Snape let go, and cleared his throat expectantly. Harry backed away, tears in his eyes. "I need to go," he said to everyone in the room. "I will keep Draco safe. Send my regrets to my students, although I'm sure they will have no regrets upon the news of my absence."

"Take care of my son," Narcissa said. Severus nodded at her and left his chambers.


Draco was walking out of the Slytherin common room and saw Severus walking towards him.

"I've packed everything."

"We're leaving," Severus said, walking past the teen. Draco looked back towards Severus' chambers.

"Where's Harry?"

"He will be staying here."

"What? No," Draco said, catching up to Severus and standing in front of him, blocking his path. Severus sighed and looked at the teen. He really didn't want to have to go through this again.

"We do not have time for this," Severus growled, grabbing Draco's collar and turning him around. "We have to leave. Now."

"But, sir -"

"Not another word." Severus said.