Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Heart of a Lion

Draco's eyes snapped up at the sound of the voice.

"Potter?" he gasped. "You're Alchemist?" Harry leaned against the doorway.

"You've got to be kidding me. You..."

"It's alright," Draco replied softly, gaze dropping back to his feet. "You can leave. I know you would rather see me at the bottom of the tower anyway. Sorry to have disturbed you."

"What are you going on about?" Harry said, as he walked out on to the balcony. "I came here to stop 'The Monster in the Dark,' and that's what I plan on doing. Even if it is you." Harry slid down the balcony wall till he was on the floor. He crossed his legs and looked up at Malfoy. He couldn't believe that all this time it was Malfoy that he bore his soul to. Told him things about himself, but if he were honest, Malfoy did the same thing. "Well, sit down," Harry said. Draco hastily sat next to Potter, but pulled his knees protectively up towards his chest. They sat in silence for a moment.

"Sorry if my identity disappointed you," Draco said quickly.

"Malfoy," Harry started. "I... I don't care who you were. I don't care what you think you did. You can't die. Not now. Not ever." Harry laid his head back against the wall. Draco snorted.

"I think humanity will catch up to me some day and I'll die whether I like it or not," he replied, smiling a little ruefully. He bit the inside of his cheek while he tried to think of something else to say. "Are you feeling better? From yesterday in defense?"

Harry chuckled. It wasn't a humorous laugh. He closed his eyes, sighed and looked at Draco. He could see that Draco was really hoping that he was okay, that the potions really did work.

"I'm fine, Draco," Harry said. "The potion that Snape gave me worked. I stop shaking this morning."

"Good," Draco replied. "I saw him hand it to you. I hoped it would."

"You remember when I told you that I get more support and care from people that hate me then the ones that suppose to care?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Draco said. "You meant Snape? He's a good man. Don't tell him about this, please! He'd be so disappointed in me if he knew I'd tried to kill myself."

"Yeah," Harry huffed out. "Like he would believe me. The man hates me. You know that. He won't believe a word I say. And you want to know the irony of the whole thing is? That Snape's been there for me, behind the shadows, since first year." Harry sighed dejectedly. "Like I said, my life is screwed. The man that really hates my guts, and really has justifiable reasons to hate me, has helped me since the beginning. How screwed up is that?"

"'Has justifiable reasons to hate you'?" Draco quoted, sneering a bit. "What kind of reasons are those? Breathing? Everyone knows Snape is entirely unfair to you."

Harry looked at Draco incredulously. Draco couldn't be saying this about his favorite teacher. This was the same man who just yesterday gave Draco just an essay to do, but had Harry scrubbing cauldrons. This is the same man that favored Draco since that first day in Potions. How could he really feel this way about Snape? Wait, Harry thought. Am I really defending Snape?

Harry put his head down. This wasn't happening. This wasn't right. Draco Malfoy was defending Harry and Harry was defending Snape.

Draco took Harry's silence as a cue to continue.

"Your life might be pretty screwed up," he admitted quietly, "but I'd still trade lives in a heartbeat."

"Trust me, you don't want my life," Harry said in a rush. He was happy for the change in subject. Thinking that he was actually defending Snape - a man that had no qualms of bullying and ridiculing him in front of the entire school - made my head hurt. Harry looked down at his watch and saw what time it was. He visibly started to shake. Harry needed an excuse, any kind of excuse. He looked at Draco. "Curse me." Harry's eyes were pleading him.

"What?" Draco replied, looking horrified. "I don't want to curse you! What are you - " Realization dawned on Draco's face. "It's that man you mentioned. Who is he? I'll curse him to hell and back for you."

"I don't have time to explain. If I don't have a good reason to not be there, he's going to come looking for me. I don't want to go. I hate going with him." Harry's voice was in pure panic mode. "CURSE ME!" Harry looked from Draco to the doorway. "Please don't make me beg. Use the curse. Then get Snape." Draco's eyes widened at the sheer terror Harry was displaying. It was better to do as he was told, Draco supposed, and ask questions later.

"Fine," Draco agreed reluctantly. "I've done worse for more selfish reasons." He stood and drew his wand. It took a moment to consciously steady his hand as he looked at Alchemist, Harry nodded to Draco to let him know it was going to be alright. He knew that Draco was struggling with this, but it was the only choice he had. "Angoro!"

Harry jerked in pain when the curse hit him. Hitting his head on the wall behind him. He slumped over on his side. Every nerve from head to toe was in excruciating pain. Draco released the spell as soon as he felt was safe and leaned over Harry who was lying on his back.

"Th-thank y-you, m-my fri-friend," Harry stuttered out.

"I'll be back as soon as I can," Draco assured him. "And I'll bring Snape."


Draco ran down the astronomy tower stairs and through the hallways like he had never run before, ignoring any strange looks his was getting. He had one thought on his mind and that was to get Snape to the top of the tower as soon as possible. Unless he managed to convince Snape in the few five seconds that the matter was of utmost urgency, he was sure his professor would want to ask all number of questions before doing anything. Being sweaty and out of breath wasn't a choice - it was a necessity.

He reached Snape's office in record time and began ceaselessly pounding on the thick wooden door. His knocking echoed through the hallway. Another thing to show Snape how serious he was in his request. Finally, the door opened.

"Draco!" Snape said, a bit of curiosity creeping into his tone. "What's wrong?" Draco slipped into the office, panting.

"Do you remember - ," he began, and sucked in a large gulp of air, " - when you told me - that you weren't helping me - because I was a Malfoy?"

"Yes," Snape replied cautiously.

"And do you remember - when you said - you were helping me - because I was - your student?"

"Yes."

"Another student - needs your help."

"Who?" Snape demanded.

"Doesn't matter," Draco dismissed, catching his breath finally. "We need to have been at the top of the astronomy tower five minutes ago."

"Alright," Snape agreed. "Lead the way."


When Draco and Snape made it to the top of the astronomy tower, there was no one there.