Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

When it rains it pours

"Blimey!" Fletcher glared at the television screen. That sure does look like Potter's owl, he thought, as one of the cameras briefly focused on the feathery body in the wreckage of the boot that Arabella had just pointed out. The camera panned back, revealing a multitude of people ranging from rescue personnel to reporters and gawkers at the scene. "Bloody hell! The place is crawlin' wif Muggles! I can't do this on my own!" Fletcher snorted, throwing his hands up in disgust.

"You have to do something!" Arabella wailed, tears streaming down her face. Several of her normally faithful cats dashed from the room at the shrill tone in their mistress's voice.

"Bugger! Just calm down, Arabella!" said Fletcher. He had meant to sound comforting but judging by Arabella's continued sobs, he had failed. Spying Arabella's shiny black pocketbook on the couch he scooped it up and shoved it roughly towards the crying squib. "Get yerself a tissue." Mundungus grumbled as he thought, There's nothing more irritating than a blubbering female.

Mundungus reached into the pocket of his tattered jacket and pulled out his hand mirror from the Order to begin the task of getting some back-up. He was, after all, not about to go into a den of Muggles alone. Unfortunately Mundungus knew Dumbledore was in a meeting which left him with one fewer name to call on. With that in mind, he started down a list of all the other male members of the Order. Yes, there are females, he thought sarcastically, but what good would they be in a situation like this? I'd likely have to calm them down like old Mrs. Figg here!

Fletcher's exasperation grew as he was forced to steadily tick off name after name from his list. It seemed that no one was answering. Are we all out to tea on such a fine day? He snarled sarcastically to himself. In no time at all he was down to only two names, Mad-Eye Moody and Severus Snape.

Damn and Blast! He swore to himself, not pleased with his final two choices. Moody had an annoying habit of always taking down to Mundungus, not to mention Mad-Eye's paranoia. As for Snape, well, the man was a right bastard, and there was just no way around it.

A sudden thought caused Fletcher to grin. Snape had never bothered to hide how much he hated the Potter boy. Well, well, well, Mundungus thought. I've always heard that misery loves company. He winced as Mrs. Figg blew her nose loudly, then smiling to himself Mundungus called out. "Severus Snape, emergency!"

xxxxxxxx

Snape carefully stepped over the shattered glass embedded in a puddle of swirling, rainbow-hued liquids. The spectacular puddle was the remnants of his latest stock of potions for the hospital wing. One of the house-elves assigned to help the irascible professor pack had snatched up the box a little too quickly in his exuberance. The bottom of the crate had responded to the house-elf's excitement by promptly breaking. Out of the corner of his eye, Snape spotted another elf reaching for the case of freshly brewed Wolfsbane Potion. Reacting with reflexes trained by years of handling volatile potions around careless teenagers, he swiftly levitated the box out of the eager elf's hands. "Leave my things be, you twits!" Snape barked at the cowering house-elves. Shooing them out of his office he snapped, "Just leave the potions and ingredients and I'll pack them myself! OUT!

Shutting the door to his office firmly behind the overly helpful pests, he turned to snarl at the mess on the floor. "Damnable creatures!" he shouted, loud enough to be heard by the scurrying elves. He then whisked the mess away with a quick spell.

The potions would need to be replaced which meant that Severus would be late for his mother's luncheon. He dashed off a quick note to her telling her of the situation. I believe she will understand why, he thought to himself. He did not relish the thought of returning home, even if it was just for a few short months. He and his mother did not get along. Feeling a headache coming on, he pinched the bridge of his nose with his long finger and thumb. She will lecture me on why I shouldn't let house-elves touch my things. I will tell her that I was running late due to staff meetings and did not wish to be late for her luncheon. he thought to himself, practicing what he would tell Mother. His stomach churned at the thought of a luncheon with his mother and her cronies. He would do just about anything to avoid another, even going as far as weakening the bottom of a crate of potions and allowing the most bumbling house-elves to assist with packing. A sly half-smile came unbidden to his lips.

Snape returned to his packing. First was the emergency potions kit which was easily shrunk with a wave of his wand before being slipped into its proper place in the pocket of his black robes. After that came all manner of vials and flasks, some empty and some filled with potions of varied hues. Snape's familiarity with the task at hand allowed his mind to wander freely. He glanced at the clock noting that Mother's luncheon would begin in less than half an hour. He remembered back to the last luncheon, one short year ago.

Mother Snape had railed at Severus once again regarding his position as a teacher. She had made it clear that it was just not fitting for a Snape to be working in that occupation. Severus' long years of training to become a Potions Master should not be wasted on teaching, she had spat maliciously. When she felt that she had taken him to task regarding that she began to harp on him about not being married and giving her grandchildren. Severus' discomfiture regarding this topic was hilarious to Mother Snape's cronies. As a result Severus had been getting pictures and letters from each of them at various times in the last year trying to interest him in their prospective marriageable choices.

Severus had decided long ago to not marry until Voldemort was gone for good and on this point he would not waver. Mother will not win this time, he thought, steeling his resolve.

Snape stood there, lost in his unwelcome train of thought until a soft buzzing coming from his pocket disturbed him. Who the devil would be mirror-calling me? he thought, irritated at yet another interruption. He thrust his hand into his pocket withdrawing the small hand-held mirror. A frown crossed his face when he saw who was contacting him. "What is it, Fletcher?" he snapped, a sneer curling his lips as he glared at the man in the mirror.

At the nastier than usual expression on Snape's face, Fletcher began to rethink his idea. "An emergency… Er…" Mundungus managed to stammer out.

"What sort of emergency is ‘Er' exactly?" Snape replied his voice deceptively soft yet carrying an underlying menace that worked so well for him in the classroom.

Another glance to the crash scene on the Muggle box brought home the gravity of the situation and helped Fletcher to find his voice. "Potter's been in an accident."

"Potter?" Snape sighed and rolled his eyes. "Call Dumbledore!" he snapped, not bothering to hide his annoyance at being disturbed just because Potter wanted something. He slid the mirror back into his pocket.

"Wait! Dumbledore's not available!" Fletcher shouted desperately. Snape either chose to ignore Mundungus or he wasn't listening, either way, Mundungus decided he did not like seeing the total darkness of the pocket and decided to try a different tactic. Knowing that Moody and Snape despised each other, Mundungus called out a little louder to be heard through the fabric, shouting. "It was down to you and Moody! If you'd rather I call Moody…I'm sure he'll help!"

Mundungus hid a grin as Snape snatched out the mirror again. "Look, I haven't much time but I suppose I can assist you for a short while."

xxxxxxxx

The rain had picked up, unmerciful in its attempt to drown everything in sight, as the rescuers worked to free Harry from the wreckage. Water poured in through the top of the car, which had finally been peeled back like a sardine can, creating an opening barely large enough to admit one rescuer. As Nick slid inside the others went back to work trying to enlarge the opening in order to get the stretcher inside.

xxxxxxxx

Snape stood staring at the television screen with his arms across his chest, his face an emotionless mask. Fletcher sat on the sofa, picking at the loose threads on his jacket as he waited for Snape to come to a decision. Mundungus was pleased to note that Snape's presence at least seemed to have an effect on the volume of Arabella's sobs. The old bat continued to pace but her wailing had been reduced to the occasional sniffle.

Arabella took comfort in the confidence and strength exuding from Snape's imposing form. Her eyes slanted to Fletcher for a quick moment. That old thief was hardly an appropriate choice for such a situation! . Dumbledore just does not take my concerns seriously! she thought to herself, sniffling softly.

Severus was taken aback by the sight in the Muggle box but he had carefully trained himself to remain calm and in control in dangerous situations. Anyone watching him would never know that he had grave concerns regarding the child. Swift action must be taken before the Dark Lord discovers that the child is in trouble. The hope of the wizarding world cannot be killed like some simple Muggle. he thought to himself, his agile mind working quickly to formulate a plan. "Arabella, notify Dumbledore that there is an emergency and that I will contact him as soon as I am able." Snape said in a deep, steady voice, breaking into everyone's private reveries. His black eyes were narrowed to mere slits as he spun toward Arabella. "Where is this location?" he asked, one long finger pointing at the screen. It was Fletcher who answered though, and Snape turned his full attention to the other wizard. "You are capable of performing a Disillusionment Charm?"

"Let's see, which one is that?" Fletcher asked absentmindedly, as he appeared to be searching the recesses of his mind.

"There's no time for this. Come here!" Snape performed the charm on Fletcher and then on himself. Snape nodded in satisfaction as both men now faded into the background like chameleons. Snape quickly outlined his plan.

xxxxxxxx

Bellatrix Lestrange cackled mercilessly as she lovingly gave her spell one last surge of power before releasing the screaming Muggle. The attack on this Muggle family, parents to two mudbloods, was unfortunately nearing to a close. The older family members were dead already but this young man was proving quite satisfying and Bellatrix was going to savor his last minutes. He was unusually tolerant of the Cruciatus, which meant she was free to have a bit of sport with him. She grabbed the boy's face in one strong hand and jerked his head forward so she could stare into his eyes. "You've such a pretty face. It's a shame you're a Muggle." She purred before shoving him backwards with enough force that his head slammed into the floor with a loud crack.

"Bella, come on. We can't stay here any longer." Peter Pettigrew mewled, anxious to be on his way. He gnawed nervously on his lower lip as he watched his comrade have her fun. Ever since watching the Potter child being passed off to his relatives Peter had been feeling restless, like something ominous was about to happen. Bella appeared not to have heard his suggestion, which did not surprise Peter since she tended to be rather focused when she was playing. He absently gnawed on a fingernail, as he waited for Bella to finish what she had started.

Muggle homes made Peter mildly uncomfortable and this one was no exception. His attention wandered over to the sitting room until a loud beeping coming from a box in the corner drew his attention. If he remembered his Muggle Studies courses well enough, the box was some kind of communication device that Muggles used to pass on news to one another. He was about to return back to Bella when the picture in the box suddenly switched to a car at the bottom of a ravine. A new voice issued from the box saying something about a terrible car accident. Curious, Peter looked closer at the picture and realized the car looked quite familiar. It had after all, almost ran over his Animagus form at King's Cross Station today after he had witnessed Potter being taken by his Muggle relatives. Muggle studies had finally paid off! Peter thought gleefully.

Another scream from the Muggle pulled Pettigrew's attention away from the box. "Wait Bella!" He cried, knocking Bellatrix's wand aside. "I have some questions for this Muggle." His beady eyes narrowed. Pointing to the box he asked, "Where is this location and how could we reach it?"

xxxxxxxx

"Harry? Harry? Can you hear me?" A vaguely familiar voice called as Harry felt himself groggily returning to awareness. His glasses had slid down his nose and unconsciously he reached to push them up. Pain shot through his neck and shoulder as he tried to move his arm, making him wince and cry out.

"Don't move, Harry. We're going to get you out. Just try to relax." Nick said reassuringly as he finished securing a tarp over the opening to keep the continuing torrents of water off the boy. Once he had it in place, he reached out and fastened a soft collar around Harry's throat to prevent him from hurting his spine when he was moved. Nick then removed Harry's glasses for safekeeping. With sure strokes Nick sliced through the seat belt. Harry winced as his body slumped forward a bit. Nick slipped a blood pressure cuff around Harry's arm and began a simple assessment while trying to disturb the boy as little as possible. "You're doing fine, Harry. Try to stay with me. I'm going to go back out and get the carrier and try to hoist you out."

xxxxxxxx

Fletcher and Snape Apparated a short distance from the wreckage. Fletcher breathed a sigh of relief finding that they had both arrived in one piece. He had been to this general area before but it had been some time ago and Apparating to less familiar locations was always risky. Of course, he hadn't passed that on to his unpleasant companion. Instead, Fletcher had simply pretended that everything was fine as he took Snape's arm to guide the Apparition. Once they arrived, Snape told Fletcher to create a diversion while he went below to check on the teen. Fletcher's eyebrows rose but he made no further comment.

Snape slowly approached the vehicle, reflexively stepping carefully so as not to slide on the mud slicked ground. Lightning flashed, illuminating the bleak landscape and briefly silhouetting another group of new arrivals. The tall, arrogant frame of Bellatrix Lestrange was holding the limp form of a Muggle by his hair with Wormtail standing deferentially just behind her. Snape's mind instantly shot into overdrive. Bloody hell! How in Merlin's name would they know Potter was here? he thought as he carefully placed a couple of rescue workers between his position and Bellatrix despite the Disillusionment Charm.

xxxxxxxx

A thankfully unconscious Harry was lifted slowly from the wreckage, with Nick's steady hands helping to guide Harry through the opening. The straps holding Harry onto the carrier were snug enough to prevent the young Gryffindor from falling or further injury but Nick wanted to get Harry lying flat on a stretcher as soon as possible. The rescuer squatted on top of the car to guide Harry the last few feet to the others waiting below. With Harry safely on the ground, Nick slid down and quickly released the straps as others held umbrellas over the stretcher. Nick slid a silver thermal blanket over the shivering teen with a reassuring smile. Nick was pleased to note that the boy was already beginning to stir and call out as the team of rescuers carried him up the embankment. Nick took Harry's cold hand and squeezed it gently in an attempt to reassure the teen.

xxxxxxxx

Severus kept a wary eye on Lestrange as she quickened her pace towards the knot of rescue personnel hovering over the boy. Briefly Snape's eyes flicked to where he had left Fletcher. Where is my diversion, you dolt! he groused to himself. As if in response to his grumbling, a loud BOOM cut across the noise of the rescue as a cloud of orange flames suddenly lit up the night sky from the remains of an unoccupied television van near the edge of the scene. Hot debris rained down, causing people to scramble for cover. Only the rescuers carrying Harry did not waver in their task as they continued towards the waiting ambulance. Snape watched as several rescuers who were waiting at the ambulance scrambled to the explosion site to attend to a few bystanders who had been injured by the falling debris.

xxxxxxxx

Harry gritted his teeth as the intermittent waves of unrelenting pain clawed their way up and down his legs. He clung tightly to Nick's hand, needing the reassurance that all would be well. Every tiny movement of the stretcher seemed to bring a new level of pain to Harry's body. He felt his stomach begin to rebel. "I'm going to throw up!" Harry groaned as another bump made the churning in his stomach worse.

Nick barely managed to put a small basin in front of Harry's mouth before the teen lost the contents of his stomach. Gently Nick guided Harry's head back down to the stretcher, brushing a lock of hair from his eyes. The rescuer then smiled at the pale-looking boy "You're doing just fine, kid. I bet you'll get a new nickname, Harry. They'll start to call you ‘the boy who lived.' You're a very lucky kid."

Harry cringed inwardly but made no comment at Nick's words, so the rescuer never noticed Harry's distress. As the stretcher continued on it's journey, Harry lay as still as possible contemplating the alluring pull of sleep. The stretcher reached the top of the hill after what seemed like a small eternity to Harry and was gently lowered to the ground as the wheels were unfolded. Being wheeled around instead of carried was a blessed relief for Harry.

xxxxxxxx

Snape was standing near the back of the ambulance with a clear line of sight on Bellatrix's cautious approach. The diversion had scattered the onlookers but had not dissuaded the dedicated personnel, which seemed to be making Bellatrix a little uncertain about her course of action. Pettigrew drifted along behind Bellatrix, obviously ready to follow her lead but with no plan of his own. Watching the scene play out, Severus tentatively decided there were too many Muggles around for Bellatrix to cause a scene, not to mention several vehicles with those Muggle picture makers pointed at the rescue attempt. Not that he would count on that since Bellatrix was always a wildcard, being more than a little insane. As she drew closer to where he stood Severus slipper deeper into the shadows, even though he knew he could not be seen.

The back of the ambulance opened and Harry's stretcher was carefully loaded inside followed closely by Nick who reached back to close the door. The Death Eater witch glared mutely at the back of the ambulance then suddenly strode forward, pushing hapless Muggles out of her way. Drat, she would chose to make a scene after all. Snape thought as he abandoned his position and jumped through the closing doors of the ambulance, knocking Nick backward in the process. Snape wrenched the door shut behind him barely in time to keep Bellatrix out.

xxxxxxxx

"What was that?" Nick grumbled before noticing the doors. "Hey, doors just don't shut on their own!" Nick peered around the interior of the ambulance as he scrambled up from the floor. "Is anyone here?" he tentatively asked. Just outside the cab, Nick could hear the driver gathering the last of the equipment. Come on, Joe. Let's get the hell out of here! Nick thought, as a chill ran up his spine. He wasn't the type to believe in ghosts but he had heard plenty of creepy stories over the years. Stories that always seemed to start with "It was a dark and stormy night…"

Snape quietly drew his wand and used a mild stunning hex on the Muggle before withdrawing a blue vial from his emergency potions kit from his pocket. Bending toward Harry's ear he whispered, "Potter? I need to you drink this fortifying draught before we can get you away from here."

Harry licked his parched lips when he heard a voice near his ear. He opened his good eye but saw no one. He was about to go back to sleep when he noticed that Nick was not moving. He was slouching back against the wall of the ambulance; eyes closed and mouth slack. "Nick?"

"He's fine, Potter!" Snape snapped. This child will be the ruination of me yet! We cannot tarry here. Bellatrix will certainly find another way to get to the child. Snape thought, trying to tamp down his rising temper.

Harry looked toward the point where he thought the voice was coming from straining his myopic eye, but there was nobody there. I must be hearing things, but why Snape of all people? he thought, drifting back to sleep.

Snape was about to withdraw the Disillusionment Charm when the front doors to the ambulance opened and two people climbed in, Lestrange and Pettigrew. Bellatrix glanced into the back long enough to see that Potter was there as Peter turned on the ignition. Snape moved as close as he dared to Harry before leaning over to whisper in the boy's ear. "Potter, be silent and drink this potion! It is imperative that we leave here as soon as possible." He hissed.

Harry's eye snapped open. He was about to speak when he felt an invisible hand cover his mouth. "Did I not just say be silent? Drink this." Snape snapped as he tapped the vial, making it visible again. He held the bottle to the boy's lips, surprised when Harry's hand snaked out to try to knock it out of his grip. "Do not do this child, not now!" Snape spat.

Harry's head was spinning. This must be some sort of Death Eater trick! Why would Snape try to help me? Harry thought, trying to summon his strength and focus his mind. Giving up Harry moaned, "Leave me alone," turning his head away from the voice.

"Alright back there, sweetie?" Lestrange cackled, glancing back again as she heard Potter. The ambulance veered off the road and began to careen across the grass fishtailing wildly. "Be careful, Wormtail. We've got precious cargo!" Bellatrix snapped sarcastically, turning her attention back towards the front of the vehicle. Approaching sirens could be heard in the distance

When Snape was sure Bellatrix' attention was focused elsewhere he considered performing a quick silencing spell on Harry and told him just that. Snape then put his hand on Harry's forehead tipping it back and putting the vial to the Gryffindor's lips. Snape quickly emptied the contents, clamping his hand over the boy's mouth and waiting for him to swallow. Come on, you stubborn boy! Snape thought, holding the stubborn boy's head. After what seemed like an eternity Harry's Adam's apple bobbed, cueing Snape that Harry had swallowed the potion.

Snape then sat the empty potion vial on Harry's chest, pointing his wand to it in preparation of making a portkey. As he concentrated on the spell the ambulance jerked off the road onto gravel, knocking the bottle from Harry's chest and onto Nick's lap. Snape clenched his wand tighter and levitated the vial back to begin again. The sirens were becoming louder now and Snape hazarded a quick glance through the back window, seeing two Muggle cars with flashing lights whirling atop them quickly approach.

Harry whimpered softly as the ambulance jerked again. We're all going to die, he thought, his mind reeling at the thought of a second accident. His heart started to race and he found it suddenly difficult to breathe. He felt something being placed on his chest and reached to swat it off, not realizing it was the vial.

"Foolish child!" Snape whispered. "It will be a portkey, you dunderhead!" He tapped it with his wand and it spun for a moment, coming to rest on its side. "When I say three, touch the bottle, understand?"

"Yes," Harry rasped. His eye rested on Nick. "What about Nick? We can't leave him here!" Harry whispered urgently.

Snape glanced at the rescue worker. The Death Eaters would most definitely kill the Muggle, slowly. He took Nick's hand and brought him closer to Harry, effortlessly moving the Muggle's limp arm. "On three then, Potter. One…" The ambulance jerked again sliding on the slick grass and Bellatrix grabbed the wheel herself cursing Pettigrew's fumbling efforts. "Two…" The ambulance jerked back on the road and directly toward oncoming traffic. "Three." As the ambulance jerked off the road again heading directly for a tree, Harry touched the bottle, as did Snape, jerking Nick's hand forward as well. The three disappeared just as the ambulance collided with the tree.