Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3

It was the second day of classes, directly after potions, that Harry had his first PAPA lesson.

'Stay behind Mr. Potter.' his father ordered and the other students filed out. Harry cleaned up his working space and bottled his potion.

'Clear blue, perfect.' Snape commented on the vial that Harry gave him. Harry shrugged

'Was easy.'

'Indeed.' Severus then turned his wand on the door to close and secure it 'How was school until now?'

Harry grinned 'It's only been a day that we're back. But a lot has happened. Did you hear about Moody turning Malfoy into a ferret – that was great!'

'I did hear about it.' Severus frowned 'Minerva had a lot to say about it in the staff room. She was not impressed.'

'She did say something in front of us too. I think that transfiguration as punishment is not allowed.'

'It isn't.' Severus said 'Even though I can imagine Draco made a handsome ferret.'

Harry laughed at his father's dry tone 'I can't wait for DADA! It's going to be great.'

'Better than Lupin?'

Harry shrugged 'We'll see. Oh, while we're on the subject, can I go to Hogsmeade this year?'

'Yes, but how has that anything to do with Defense?'

'I'll meet Remus and Sirius.'

Severus rolled his eyes 'The mutt should lay low and not put himself in danger like that.'

'He doesn't listen.' Harry said, making himself comfortable on one of the desks 'Hey, you didn't tell me anything about the Triwizard Tournament!'

'No, I didn't.'

'You're a teacher here, how can you not tell me?'

'Arthur works at the ministry and he didn't tell his children, did he?' Severus countered waving for Harry to follow him into his private lab 'I did not see the point in informing you as you are too young to compete.'

'That's really unfair though.'

'Why? You wouldn't stand a chance against a seventh year. The age restriction is there for a reason. Imagine a big headed first year walking into death because he was pressured by his peers.'

'Well, he wouldn't get chosen, would he?' Harry argued 'If there were a bunch of talented students, which idiot judge would choose the first year?'

Snape sighed 'OK, let's take your example. If they put your name in it, people would feel obligated to choose you because of your history. That could take someone else's chance, who might be better suited.'

Harry frowned 'I've been in plenty dangerous situations and handled myself well. And I'm good at Defense.'

'I'm not talking about you as a person, rather the public person that you represent. They would not choose you for your abilities but for your name. The age restriction will at least stop such a decision to result in a student getting himself into mortal danger, who is wholly unprepared for it.'

'You think I wouldn't be able to do it?' Harry asked, rather aggressively.

'Gryffindor.' Snape snorted 'Yes, of course I think that! Harry you're fourteen. This tournament is not easy or safe. The contestants from the other schools would be almost adults. How would you even imagine competing with them?'

Harry pouted what his father said made too much sense 'Well it's not like I can enter anyway.'

'Thank Merlin. You have given me enough heart attacks as it is. I will be worried about you just sitting in the stands and getting hit by a stray curse...'

Harry stuck out his tongue and Severus immediately took it and tugged a bit, which made Harry giggle.

'Back to the matter at hand, I have a lesson after this, so let's make it quick.' Severus said, taking out charts and spreading them on the worktables. Harry groaned 'You've put this off long enough as it is.'

Harry made a face but took out his quill and started putting the test results in the charts and analysing their research up until now, muttering darkly all the while. Snape took the parchments he filled out and double-checked them. They worked like that for an hour before Snape sent him away to prepare for his next class.

'Dad, I have a free period until dinner, can I just stay in our rooms?'

Snape nodded at him and swept into his classroom.

Harry took the time in their quarters to search through his father's potions journals for another project. His father had told him that he wanted him to choose this year's project. It had pleased him quite a lot, really. Normally his father treated him like a small child and some part of him hated it. Of course, a very needy, abused part of him enjoyed the attention shamelessly. However, the growing teenager part wanted to kick the other. He wanted to be left alone and treated like an adult. Therefore, he picked out a few journals and flipped through them, searching for a good idea. His eye caught an article that made him smile. A Japanese Potioneer had written a satirical article about the taste of potions and he quite enjoyed it. With a jolt he thought, why not? Everybody always complained about the taste and he shuddered, when he thought about it himself. He had been on the receiving end often enough... When he thought about skele-grow – ugh, disgusting stuff. Harry took out a parchment from his bag and started taking notes about taste enhancing components that wouldn't interfere with potions. Well, sugar and honey were out...


That was how Severus found him. He smiled fondly, seeing Harry bent low over their coffee table, brainstorming. 'Harry?'

Harry started and then looked up; he smiled at his father 'I had an idea for the end of year project.'

'I see.' his father sat down next to him, glancing at his notes 'What is it?'

'You know how potions taste disgusting? No Potioneer ever seems to care about that.'

'Well, they mostly don't have to drink their own potions.' Severus smiled 'But I see why you would care...'

Harry flashed him an insolent grin and elaborated his idea 'I thought maybe there could be a way to enhance the taste. Most things you would put in food to change taste, sugar, salt, pepper etc., don't work for potions. Because they would affect them, right? So I thought, what do Muggles do to change the taste? Aromas!'

Snape opened his mouth 'Chemical flavouring agents*! Of course.'

'Yes, Aunt Petunia used to put rum aroma in her cake so that Dudley could have some too. That's where I got the idea!' Harry grinned at him again and Snape ruffled his hair.

'Good job! That's a brilliant idea.' he said, inordinately proud of the boy 'The chemical agent should not interfere with the magical... Well, we will of course need to test it. I'd say we start with a simple potion that has a minimal amount of ingredients... Boil cure potion?'

Harry rolled his eyes 'You love that one, don't you? Sure, we can try it. Where will we get the aroma from?'

'I'll get some the next time I go out.' Snape promised and stood up 'But now it's time for dinner, young man.'

He gave Harry a hand and pulled him up. As Harry left the rooms in front of him, leaving him behind so it didn't look like they were walking together, pride swelled in his chest. That was his boy!

After regular Potions on Friday, Harry was surprised to be held back again. He waited for his classmates to leave the room, shrugging at Ron and Hermione. His father spelled the room secure before he frowned at Harry and asked 'How was Defense?'

'Interesting.' Harry said simply, not understanding what his father was making a deal about.

'Interesting.' Snape repeated, looking suspicious 'You are alright then?'

'Why wouldn't I be?' Harry asked back

'I heard that Moody demonstrated the unforgivable curses.'

'He did. It was hard for Neville, seeing the Crutiatus.'

'One can understand that easily.' Snape murmured and then said 'And you were alright with the killing curse?'

Harry didn't answer immediately 'There are other students in my class, who have lost people to that curse.'

'None of which are my son.' Snape answered 'As it is I have talked with those in Slytherin House.'

Harry relaxed minutely, understanding that he wasn't being babied. 'It was a bit weird, but alright. I was more worried about Neville.'

Snape didn't answer, avoiding Harry's eyes.

'You know what was wrong with him?' Harry asked curiously

'You would know after researching for about five minutes.' Snape sighed 'His parents were aurors and they were attacked by Death Eaters, when he was as young as you were, when you were orphaned.'

'So he lost his parents too?'

'Not exactly. They were put under the curse long enough to lose their minds.' Harry shivered at that 'They do not recognize their son or even each other.'

Harry opened his mouth in disbelieve, then closed it, utterly shocked by that. He didn't know what to say. He had always felt a little sorry for himself, for being an orphan. However, having parents who didn't recognize you, it must be horrible... And he had Severus now as well. Harry almost wished to share Severus with Neville, but thought better of it. Neville would likely die of a stroke at the mere mention of it...

'Poor Neville.' was the only lame answer Harry could come up with 'I never knew...'

'Well, it's not a subject for polite conversation.' Severus sighed 'I only wanted to check in with you if you are alright.'

Harry shouldered his bag and said in an offhand manner, 'I'm not that fragile, you know. It's only a curse.'

Severus scowled at him and said 'If you say so.'

For some reason Harry felt bad, when leaving the room behind, as if there was some unresolved issue he was running from. He shrugged and tried to make it in time for dinner.


It was Friday again, several weeks later, when Harry was held back after class the next time. Harry fidgeted a little, shooting impatient looks at the door.

'Are you ready for later?' Severus asked

'Yeah, look Dad, I don't want to be late for dinner...' he said, meaning that he didn't want to be late for welcoming the students, who came from abroad to take part in the tournament

'I know, come around the desk.' Harry complied with the request but scowled deeply, when Severus started waving his wand at him and vanishing potion stains off his robes. He knew the other teachers had been getting nervous about the new arrivals, but his father had not shown any signs of wanting to impress them. Harry stiffened; annoyed with his father, as he took a jar of his special hair gel out to style Harry's hair the way he only had once before. As Harry secretly liked that hairstyle, he tolerated it.

'Will you be wearing your hair different too?' Harry asked innocently, he had wanted to see that for a while now!

'I might.'

'Do it!' Harry urged, trying to suppress his grin. Severus gave him a weak smile and rolled his eyes, closing the tin again. Harry reached the end of his patience, when he started tugging on Harry's robe. He swatted his father's hands away and said 'I'll go then, if there's nothing else?'

His father frowned and then made an unnecessarily elaborate hand movement as if to say 'be my guest'. Harry turned and fled for the Great Hall in a second. Once there he blushed to the tips of his hair as Cho smiled at him and said 'That style really suits you.'

Harry grinned goofily and remembered a little too late to thank her. When he reached the Gryffindor table, his chest was puffed up and chin held high.

'What happened with you between Potions and dinner?' Seamus laughed, Harry shrugged and answered

'We developed this hair gel, the professor and me, and this is a test trial.' he tugged on his hair; it wasn't quite true but close enough. Ron supressed a grin and got kicked under the table by Hermione, who turned to Harry and earnestly said 'I think it looks nice, Harry.'

He smiled at her and thanked her, feeling his blush returning.

'Whoa!' Ginny said at that time and Harry really started to get uncomfortable with all the attention, just as he realized that it wasn't directed at him. Looking up he couldn't supress the laugh that escaped him. It was his father, scowling and looking just as always, with the little exception of his hair, which was sleeked back, a single strand falling into his eyes.

Hermione couldn't supress her nervous snigger at the look and Ron actually snorted.

'What?' Harry asked, grinning himself 'I think it suits him.'

'It does.' Hermione answered, blushing and grinning 'But it's just so... weird!'

Until then, Severus had reached the head table, where Minerva immediately leaned in close to whisper something to him. He rolled his eyes at her and she laughed behind her hand, her eyes sparkling with amusement. Slowly all students began whispering and pointing at their Potions Master, some of them getting a little ogle eyed. Harry was the only one who caught the appreciative looks Professor Sinistra threw his father. It heightened his mood considerably for some reason.

As they later came out onto the grounds and Professor McGonagall started lining them up, she gave Harry an assessing look and said 'You would do well to wear your hair like that always.'

Harry felt heat returning to his face for a completely different reason than before 'err...?'

'It keeps your eyes uncovered and that may help your untidy scrawl. Maybe if you see what you're writing, we poor teachers will be able to read it.'

With that, she turned away but Harry was pretty sure she was grinning to herself. Ron beside him chuckled and got an elbow in the ribs for it. Soon the Beauxbatons delegation arrived with their elegant boys and stunning girls, who seemed to walk on air. Their headmistress did have an air of disinterested elegance and beauty as well, even though her height was the main attraction to everyone who met her. Even Hagrid seemed to be impressed. After a little while, the boat with the Bulgarians from Durmstrang arrived, sweeping with it their headmaster and famous Quidditch player Victor Krum. Harry and Ron stared like a bunch of fan girls until he had swept past them, duck feeted, scowling and a little clumsy on his feet.

'I don't get the hype' was all that Hermione could say to that, because the incredulous looks he received from her friends shut her up after that. Back in the castle, finally the impartial judge was revealed – the Goblet of Fire!

Walking out into the Entrance Hall after the delicious feast, everybody was talking about competing in the tournament and whom they would like to see as the Hogwarts champion.


'Eternal glory' Ron sighed 'And think of the prize money!'

Harry shrugged 'I don't care about all that. All I want is to lean back this year and watch someone else risk their neck.'

Ron laughed at that 'Well, I wouldn't mind trying, but who could ever fool the age line?'

They all looked up front to the Weasley twins and Lee Jordan, who were whispering furiously.

'They will try.' Hermione said, frowning 'But they won't make it.'

'They are the best at breaking rules.' Ron argued 'If anyone does it, it will be them!'

'That's my point.' Hermione said 'No student here can overcome Dumbledore's magic!'

'I don't care.' Harry yawned 'It's not like we're going to try.'

'That is very good to hear.' a voice snarled behind him and all three of them turned around to Snape 'Because if I see you near the Goblet, even looking strangely at it, I will strap you to a chair for the rest of Saturday if I have to.'

Harry gave him his best glare and turned away with his friends to keep up appearances. It felt like Snape hadn't just said that to let people think he was still not friendly with Harry. Somehow he felt like there was a warning in there somewhere...

The next morning Harry and his friends shot the Goblet interested looks and argued about the best choice for the Hogwarts champion. The boys were adamant that it needed to be a Gryffindor – they were predestined for this. They were brave, strong and always up for adventure, no other house fit the requirements that well. Hermione argued that the tournament wasn't only about bravery and fighting but also about wits and cunning.

'Hufflepuff's out then.' Ron said, glancing at their table 'Loyalty's not going to help you win this battle, not if you're all alone out there.'

'Hufflepuff's not only about loyalty.' Hermione said

'Yeah and fair play isn't going to be on the top of their list.' Ron said, nodding to the Bulgarians at the Slytherin table. Harry nodded.

'You're right that it could be another house, but Hufflepuff is farfetched, Hermione!' Harry said 'Even though your darling Diggory is there.'

'Oh please.' Hermione said, huffing, when Seamus walked past and said

'You got that wrong Harry. It isn't Diggory Hermione is all dreamy eyed about.'

Ron and Harry shot him a look and then stared at Hermione, who was blushing furiously

'Who is it then?' Ron asked eagerly and a bit aggressively, Seamus grinned and nodded at the head table

'She's been giving Snape the look since start of term.' Seamus laughed and Hermione groaned, putting her head on her arms. Ron spluttered and then laughed as well. Harry couldn't supress a chuckle – the notion was just too ridiculous.

'Oh come off it!' Harry said, still chuckling, as Ginny swept around with a disapproving look and snapped

'Leave her alone, you idiots.' she nudged Hermione and Harry was shocked to see that her expression was genuinely hurt 'Come on Hermione, we'll sit together.'

Harry and Ron shared a stunned look 'She seriously fancies Snape?'

Harry shrugged 'Seems impossible, even to me.'

The rest of the day Hermione avoided them like the plague and Harry began feeling bad for it. It reminded him of first year, when she went to cry in the bathroom. As Hermione didn't turn up for lunch, he asked Ginny what was going on.

'What do you think?' Ginny snapped again and then explained 'She has a crush on him; you can't help that sort of thing.'

'Yeah but... why?' Harry asked, feeling like he was suddenly flung into a very bad movie

'Because... he took you in and he's been so nice and... fatherly I guess. And he was concerned about her and I think it just crept up on Hermione... It will pass but don't give her a hard time on top of it.'

'I won't, I didn't know, really.' Harry said hastily 'Is she alright?'

'She thinks you'll laugh about her... Well, not you, more Ron and Seamus.' Ginny shrugged

'I'll tell them to stuff it, can you tell her that?' Harry said 'And that I'm sorry.'

'I'll tell her to come down for dinner and hear your apology in person.' Ginny compromised.

However, Hermione slid into the Great Hall in the very last second and thus avoided being talked to during dinner, as she sat on the other side of the table. Harry was only concerned with the guilt that churned in his belly as the champions for the three schools were selected. He clapped distractedly; casting Hermione worried looks until he heard a collective gasp and turned back to the Goblet of Fire. It had spit out another name.

Harry's mouth dropped open as Dumbledore said 'Harry Potter!'

The hall went unnaturally silent and Harry closed his eyes in agony. This couldn't be happening. This wasn't true. Someone nudged him hard in the ribs and he stood up mechanically and walked up to the head table. His eyes darted to his father, who looked white and stunned; he was gripping the table in front of him hard. They shared a look and Harry shook his head slightly. He hadn't put his name in. He hadn't. Professor McGonagall stood up and leaned down to him to whisper where he was supposed to go. She looked worried but nodded slightly as he looked up to her for reassurance.

He left quite the ruckus behind him and trembled at the thought of what was being discussed behind his back in the Great Hall. He entered the chamber where Diggory, Krum and Delacour were standing together, looking very much the roles that they had chosen to play.

'Ah, did they send you with a message?' Fleur asked, giving him a superior smile.

Harry opened his mouth a little but didn't answer and in the next moment, teachers were practically storming the room. In front of all of them was Dumbledore, who took him by the arm and urgently asked 'Did you put your name in?'

'No, professor, I swear...'

'Did you tell an older student to do it for you?'

'No, sir! I...'

'He is lying!' spat the giantess angrily 'Of course he is!'

And with that, an elaborate ping-pong game of 'who is to blame' started until Barty Crouch stopped it all with the rules of the tournament 'The champions have been chosen. Mr. Potter cannot step down. How it was possible for him to compete in the first place, I cannot tell.'

'Treachery!' Krum snarled 'This will not be the last of it. Victor!'

After that, he spat a few words in rapid Bulgarian and swept away with his student slouching after him. Looking ready to explode with anger, Madame Maxime and her contestant left as well, leaving behind only the British inhabitants of the castle.

'Mr. Diggory, Mr. Potter, would you please get back to your dorms?'

'I would like a word with Mr. Potter.' Snape said, looking white faced and furious, McGonagall put a hand on his arm and said

'I believe not. Both students will retire to their dorms as the headmaster suggested' she gave him a curt warning look 'And I would invite you to tea.'

Snape looked ready to argue but nodded tersely instead. Harry didn't need any more of an invitation and fled the little room to an empty Great Hall, Diggory following him out. He breathed freely, when he had crossed the hall and exited it.

'How'd you do it?' Diggory asked after they were well out of earshot of any teachers

'I didn't do it.' Harry said faintly, feeling worried and tired. A few minutes ago, it seemed his only worry was having hurt Hermione's feelings.

'Sure.' Diggory said dismissively and Harry realized that he had offended the other boy, when Cedric left him standing there without as much as a 'good-bye'

Harry stared after him, worry churning in his belly as he climbed up the stairs. He didn't know he would be facing more of the same up in his dormitory.


'I can't believe this!' Snape stormed, walking up and down in front of Minerva's desk.

'Have some tea, it's getting cold.' She said calmly and Snape actually growled

'Typical Gryffindor!' he railed, refusing to sit down 'He must stand in the limelight. He must put himself in danger. He cannot simply stand back once…'

'Shut up' Minerva said, calmly taking a ginger biscuit and ignoring that Snape had stopped in his tracks to stare at her 'I would offer you tea again, but you rather need a calming draught.'

Snape kept staring at her, until she elaborated 'Stop it. You know Harry is not like that. Frankly I can't see why you have reverted back to your old antagonism and I am disappointed in you.'

Snape scowled 'You can't tell me the idea would not appeal to him. Adventure, recklessness and danger – he practically invites it. He enjoys it.'

'Maybe' Minerva said easily, she did know her lions 'But that he usually enjoys a little adrenalin, does not mean he put his name in the goblet, nor does it give you the right to blame him. He may have fantasized about it. We all have mad fantasies. Shall I start calling you out on yours? You were in love with Lily back then. Should I question your intentions regarding Harry because of that? Maybe you had some mad teenage fantasies about having a family with her. Does it make you any less of a good parent for Harry?'

Snape could feel his collar heating up. He had had those fantasies and put like this, he realized how stupid it was to blame Harry for the exact same thing. He looked away from Minerva 'I just can't take this, Minerva. The Dark Lord is moving and now Harry's name comes out in a competition of life and death…'

The frustration and fear for his son's life was too much. He needed someone to blame. Was it Karkaroff? Was is it really a plot from the Dark Lord? But what could be is objective? To kill Harry, sure, but why not attack directly? Why put him in the competition?

'That's more like it' Minerva murmured frowning 'He is in terrible danger and he needs you to look out for him. If you don't stand behind him it would cripple him, Severus.'

'Of course I will stand by him' Snape said defensively, even in his anger he had never once thought of abandoning his son 'But we need to figure out who did this. They will pay.'

Minerva looked at him intensely, before looking away and saying in a thoughtful voice 'Can you give this up to me, Severus? I will investigate while you support Harry.'

Severus seemed uncomfortable with giving up power like this, but he gave a curt nod. Minerva gave him a bitter little smile

'He does have the worst luck in the world, doesn't he?'

Snape rolled his eyes in exasperation and gave an annoyed groan, that made the bitterness slip from Minerva's features.


Harry dejectedly took place in Severus study and crossed his arms defensively.

'Are you going to scream at me too?' he challenged, Snape simply raised an eyebrow 'Ron, the idiot, thinks I put my name in the Goblet! Is he completely nuts? Why would I do that? To humiliate myself in front of the whole school? Be killed? As if I don't get enough of that as it is.'

Snape's features softened a little at those words 'Yes, Mr. Weasley is being very ignorant and probably jealous of you.'

'Hermione said something similar.' Harry mumbled 'It's like he doesn't even know me anymore!'

Snape gulped 'Sometimes things stops you from seeing clearly.'

'Like what?' Harry snapped, feeling annoyed that his father didn't seem to be on his side. Or at least far too understanding about Ron's feelings.

'He is jealous of you and that stops him from realizing that you did not ask for any of this. It is all about him and not about you in the slightest. He will see clearly again, just give him time.'

Snape leaned back against his desk, facing Harry, who still looked troubled

'Yeah, maybe he'll say sorry at my funeral…'

Harry stopped, when he felt fingers on his chin and it was forced upwards. Snape stared at him and seriously said 'Don't ever say that again. Or anything similar.'

Harry stared at his father's black gaze, intense with some unnamed emotion 'Err... ok, I won't'

Snape let go of him and gave a curt nod 'I made a list of additives for this year's potions project. I want you to go through them and theorize about potions they may be used in. Start with class one potions, the boil cure for instance…'

Harry gave a little groan 'I know, dad! I'm not a first year anymore.'

Snape ignored the cheek 'Bring me the first list and after double-checking we will start tests.'

Harry nodded 'You coming for breakfast?'

Snape shook his head and looked at a stack of papers 'I still have a lot of grading to catch up to.'

Harry frowned 'Are you still helping Professor McGonagall?'

Snape looked up with a guarded expression 'No.'

And as Harry understood, he coldly said 'Oh, Professor Sinistra then.'

It wasn't a question and so Snape did not answer 'If you have a problem, you should say it.'

'You told me you wouldn't do anything about it.'

'Still, I would like to talk to you about it, Harry.'

Harry kept frowning at him 'Does it really matter? You have already said that what I think does not make a change.'

'Harry, frankly I have no idea what is going on in your head.' Snape snapped suddenly 'You wanted me to pursue her, I declined and I still have no personal interest in her. And out of nowhere you have started this… I don't even know what to call it! I am merely working on a project with a co-worker…'

Harry snorted derisively, something he had clearly learned from Snape 'You are interested in her and she is obviously interested in you. So, don't act like there is nothing. I'm angry with you because of that. You act like there's nothing, but you're lying!'

Snape looked honestly affronted 'Harry! I am not lying to you. I told you that she is a desirable woman but I do not have the energy or will to attempt a relationship with her. That is the honest truth. There is nothing going on.'

'And still, it does not matter. Whatever I say, however I feel, you will still see her and… work with her.'

'I said that because you have no grounds…'

'You did not even hear what I had to say!' Harry erupted, then turned away to leave the room

'Stay right here!' Harry sent him a glare before pulling open the door 'Mr. Potter! Come in and sit down!'

Harry wavered a moment. He hated Snape for doing this. Calling him 'Mr. Potter' reminded Harry that he had dismantled the silence wards around the office, when he opened the door. If he defied a professor now, Snape was in his rights to take points and give detention – it would even be expected of him. If he didn't and someone heard them…

Growling with frustration Harry turned around and stomped back into the office. Snape flicked his wand and closed the door, putting up the wards again. Harry crossed his arms and pressed his lips together, refusing to look at Snape.

'Harry, listen. I do value your thoughts and emotions in this matter. What I am saying is that there is nothing for you to worry about. There is no reason for me to stop working with her. You are being unreasonable.'

Harry kept his silence, staring at the floor.

'Harry, look at me.'

Harry looked up with a glare but kept silent.

'Say something. Harry, I want to talk to you about this.'

'No, sir'

'Harry…'

'If you have nothing else you want to tell me, professor, I would like to get some breakfast.'

'Harry, you are being exceedingly childish. Stop this at once!' Snape said annoyed

'Yes, sir.'

This time, it was Snape, who growled. He came up to Harry and roughly pulled him out of his chair. When Harry still refused to look at him, he shook the boy once, twice, a third time.

'Harry!'

'What do you want, sir?' Harry whispered and Snape let go of him. He stared at his son for a moment. The determined, stubborn set of his jaw and the green eyes averted in defiance. It annoyed him to no end.

'Leave and don't come back until you have come back to your senses!'

Harry did look up at him then, to send him a final glare, before stomping out of the room.

'Irritating child!' Snape spat and sat down in his chair with more energy than needed.

Harry stomped all the way up to the dormitories and slammed doors in his wake. Ron send him a glare and yanked his curtains closed. Harry threw up his arms in disgust and then mirrored his ex-best friend's motion. Sitting ensconced under his four-poster he started writing a letter to his godfathers, venting his anger at Ron, Snape and the unfairness of it all. When he fell asleep that night, his heart felt considerably lighter.


But the next morning gloomed as dark as the one before. Down in the common room he caught up with Hermione, who took him out to the grounds. They had another long talk and Harry finally turned to her and said

'Hermione, can you forgive me?'

'For what?' she asked, surprised

'For laughing about you… you know, the other day, when Seamus mentioned my dad.', Hermione glanced around, clearly uncomfortable, but maybe she was just checking if someone was overhearing them again 'I didn't think it was true, so I thought he was just goofing around… I would've never thought…'

'Oh' Hermione just said and then smiled at him 'Already forgotten, Harry. The Triwizard Tournament kind of drove it out of my head.'

'Good' Harry smiled back 'I felt really bad about, you were so supportive after the whole deal after I just had a laugh about your… feelings.'

Hermione's cheeks shoved a faint flush but she still smiled 'Well, it's good that you thought it ridiculous actually, as it made me realize your father might never realize…'

Harry didn't understand how this would be a good idea, as he thought Hermione must be dreaming of him finding out and… doing something about it. It was hard not to laugh at the very idea of Hermione and Severus together in a tree, so to speak. But that made him realize…

'Oh… this is kind of a private thing. You don't want him to know?'

Hermione looked at him wide eyed 'You didn't tell him, did you?'

Harry shook hid head and Hermione gave a relieved sigh

'No, of course not. I might have a crush but I'm not delusional! He's so much older and I'm his student… so of course…'

Her voice was a bit wistful at the end, which she realized herself, because she forced a smile on her face again and said 'It will pass, I'm sure.'

Harry gave a toothache smile back, trying to show his sympathy for her situation and said 'I won't tell him. Ever.'

That elicited a real smile off her and she hooked her arm in his, as she said 'Thanks!'

They returned to the school with their moods considerably lifted.

Chapter End Notes:
Note:

So the cat's out of the bag, or in this case, the name's out of the goblet. What did you think about the reactions? What do you think about Hermione's little crush? :D

Big announcement: I have posted the first "audiobook" chapter of love is a charm in youtube, pleas go check it out and leave rate, leave a comment, share if you think I should do the rest too! It's called "Audiobook ~ Love is a charm ~ Intro & Prologue " and here's the link, that will hopefully stay there ;) www youtube com watch?v=00dwjSDjhmY

*Credit where credit is due: This idea I didn't come up with myself, rather I read it in one of the best fanfiction out there. It's called 'Harry Potter und die Schatten der Vergangenheit' (Harry Potter and the shadows of the past) by Muggelchen and is a brilliant, long, elaborate piece of fiction – loved every second of it. There, Hermione enhances the wolfsbane potion with chemical agents and later sells it in her apothecary with vanilla aroma. If you are German speaking, I would highly recommend that story, it is pure genius and once you start reading, you will be very glad that it is as long as it is.