Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 2

Severus Snape strode purposefully along Privet Drive, counting down the numbers for the right house.14, 12, 10. Of course, he’d managed to start at the wrong end, and had to walk past all the Muggle homes with their leftover Christmas decorations looking sad in the January rain. He wondered for the umpteenth time how it was that he had once again been conned into doing a job that he had no desire to do by that crafty Gryffindor headmaster. Just because he knew the family and could ‘do’ Muggle really didn’t mean that he was the only man for the task in hand. Speaking of which, if someone truly was using a wand inside Number 4 he hoped it was the boy. Severus double checked that his own wand was securely placed up his sleeve.

Finally reaching Number 4 he marched decisively up the path, smirking at the luridly decorated tree gracing the front room window - definitely Petunia’s handiwork, before ringing the doorbell firmly.

The door was opened by a thin, blonde, neatly dressed woman who gasped when she saw him. “Severus!”

“Hello, Petunia,” Snape replied. “I know it’s been a while, but are you going to keep me standing on the step all day while you impersonate a goldfish?”

“Oh! Come on in – it’s good to see you again, Severus. What brings you here? Whatever it is, you’ll have to be quick. Vernon has gone to pick up his sister from the station and they’ll be back in less than an hour. It wouldn’t do for you to be here then.” Petunia showed him into the front room.

“Still the jealous type is he, Petunia? I’ve come about Lily’s boy. Have you let him have her wand to play with, by any chance?”

“No, of course not. It’s up in the attic…..oh. The little devil must have found it when I gave him a job to do up there just before Christmas. He hasn’t been doing m..magic in the house, has he?”

Sensing issues, Severus asked, “Have you told the child anything of his heritage, Petunia?”

“No. I know I should have told him something, but I never knew where to start, and Vernon said we could only keep him if he behaved normally. He’s tried to train the magic out of Harry by shutting him in his cupboard when anything strange happens. It hasn’t quite worked, but suits them both.”

“Cupboard?” Snape said sharply.

“Um, yes. Harry sleeps in the cupboard under the stairs. It’s not that bad, Severus! It’s warm and safe, he’s small, and it’s not as if Vernon is ever violent towards him. He just doesn’t get everything Dudley does, because of the expense.”

“You get an allowance for his upkeep though,” Severus pointed out.

“Oh, yes,” Petunia replied sarcastically. Stalking to the sideboard she opened a drawer and removed a sheaf of papers and waved them in Severus’ face. “Promissory notes from Gringotts. Unfortunately we don’t have a branch locally. I did try going to Charing Cross Road, but I couldn’t remember where the entrance to that alley is.”

“Well, why didn’t you contact Dumbledore to let him know you had an issue with the finance?” Severus asked in the tone of voice he normally used on an errant first year.

“Oh, yes,” Petunia said again. “His note when he left Harry on the doorstep said to Owl him of any problems. You’ll find plenty of post Owls in Little Whinging High Street too.”

Severus thought a moment, and then made a quick decision. It was the least he could do for the Evans girls. “Well, someone’s going to have to sort this out, and I suppose it will have to be me. Why don’t you let me take Harry for a couple of days and I’ll introduce him to the wizarding world as a start. He could come with me now, and I’ll bring him back, say, Wednesday evening?”

“That would be wonderful!” Petunia cried gratefully. “He really does need to know. Be kind to him, won’t you, Severus. He’s a good boy usually, although his tongue can run away with him when he gets in a temper.”

“Like someone else I used to know,” observed Severus. “You’d better introduce us then, although I think he may have been listening.”

Petunia opened the cupboard door to find Harry close behind it, wand in his hand.

“Accio wand!” called Severus swiftly, pocketing the willow stick efficiently.

“Hey, give me that back!” yelled Harry. “Who is he, anyway?”

“Harry, this is Mr Snape,” Petunia introduced. “He was a good friend to your mother and to me when we were children. He’s a teacher now, and he’s offered to take you to stay with him for a couple of days. Let’s pack your rucksack and you can be away quickly.”

“Why do you want to send me away? I’ve been good, and I don’t know him!”

“Come on, Harry. He sent that Christmas card with the picture of a snowy castle on it that you liked. It’ll be like a little holiday for you, and it would be best if you got away before Marge gets here with Ripper,” Petunia persuaded. “Mr Snape has lots to talk to you about, and things to show you.”

Recognising defeat, Harry pulled out the little nylon rucksack from under his bed.